Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Transvestism/Crossdresser

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah Michelle View Post
    even the psychiatric community argues over the definitions for the two words. there is a commonly accepted point-of-view that transvestitism involves the fetish aspect of wearing the clothes of the opposite gender while cross-dressing is associated with gender identity disorder, gender dysphoria and just plain being rebellious.
    for me; it isn't sexual, never was, it is about wearing the clothes that feel like they fit. the clothes change me when they are on.
    there is a huge social dis-connect in that women can easily dress like men [suits, ties, pants, tees] without any back-lash but men don't have the same privilege. WWII and women in the workplace made it easier for them.
    Sometimes I've wondered if policewoman get pleasure from wearing a uniform and being around a bunch of guys in uniform.
    Last edited by gemsay32; 10-08-2009 at 11:30 PM.

Bi Poly and Kinky
    Yes, if you read all the FAQs and listen to all the experts, crossdressers do it for the femininity, the gender issues and the lifestyle, while transvestites do it for the fetish. Personally, I do both, and I try not to get too hung up on it. When somebody asks me, I just say I like to dress in women's clothing.

Some people prefer hard labels, so they can define themselves. And I sympathize with their struggle to find a label that matches them, because it is very important to them.

Personally, I can't define my sexuality. I like dressing like a man. I like dressing like a woman. I dress in tuxedos. I dress in lingerie. I'm married to a woman and have a long term girlfriend, and I date boys and girls. I'm a top and a bottom. I've dated ftm and mtf.

What's important to me is learning about myself and others, and sharing experiences with those whom I find a connection with. Because those connections are incredible. Those connections are what define our lives.

xoxo

Quote Originally Posted by Shari View Post
    Seems so many are obsessed with labeling themselves. Filed, categorized, assorted, assigned. Jeeeesh!
    Who cares?
    Many people do care.

. Possibly you don't understand that some people are just very curious to better understand themselves.
    . Other people seem have no such drive to understand themselves or gain a better knowledge at whatever. They often seem to be more "superficial" to others.

Neither one of both attitudes is fundamentally better than the other, it just depends on differing values adopted by people and on the life objectives.

Please, whathever your values are, be more open-minded and tolerant to people who cherish values different from yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara Croft View Post
    Crossdresser = USA term
    Transvestite = UK term

It's that simple. You will find most CD's in the UK do not like being called a CD, they prefer being called a tranny... and the majority do not do it for sexual reasons only. And USA CD's do not like being called trannys. So the term transvestite being for sexual reasons only is a moot point.
    Tamara is that why in "PSYCHO" Directed by Alfred Hitchcock. With Anthony Perkins at the end is labeled as a transvestite, since Sir Alfred Hitchcock was the director.

Me, Gemsay,

I am both,
    I am neither.
    It really doesn't matter,
    However crossdresser is softer sounding
    both to my ears and my soul.
    A Rose by any other name.....[SIZE="2"][/SIZE]

Love Rebecca Jayne

Complex Lolita...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamara Croft
    It's that simple. You will find most CD's in the UK do not like being called a CD, they prefer being called a tranny... and the majority do not do it for sexual reasons only.

[SIZE="2"]Yes – I call myself a tranny because I spent time on a similar UK forum some time ago. I like the nickname, in fact I’m comfortable with the “transvestite” moniker. It all seems obvious to me – crossdresser just doesn’t cover it. Also, since I don’t “do it” for sexual reasons, I’ve come to understand the lack of understanding about the word transvestite in my country. In fact, if I may say so, I’ve taken a “bit of stick” for it – I picked up that phrase across the pond, too…[/SIZE]

Gold Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Katie B View Post
    This nonsense reply from Amanda just goes to show what happens if you start believing in outdated dictionaries.
    I think the "LOL" was Amanda's way of saying she was just making a funny comment.

I'm kind of glad this thread came along.

I think at the very core of it, I'm a Transvestic Fetishist (my interest in crossing hit me in early adolescence, and I still get a sexual thrill from wearing lingerie). That said, as I've matured I've gotten to the point where I just feel more comfortable in womens clothes, and it doesn't always have a sexual element to it.

I've realised that there's so much more to this than simply my libido, and while I don't necessarily want the sexual aspect of it to disappear, I'm slowly embracing my, um, platonic (lol, probably not the most fitting word to use) appreciation for all things feminine.
    [SIZE="1"]
    I'm going in for the kill...
    [/SIZE]

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar

Sex is LIFE!

U TOTALLY BELONG HERE, Gemsay! There r FEW, if ANY, girls here that haven't, at one time or another, derived sexual pleasure from SOME ASPECT of dressing!

Even if they don't feel that way now, they REMEMBER the feeling!

Quote Originally Posted by Katie B View Post

Crossdresser: person who wears the clothes of the opposite sex.
    This can be divided up (if the fancy strikes you) according to motive. For instance:
    [LIST][*]Fetishist crossdresser: gets sexually turned on by the feel of fur or silk or high heels
    And using Katie's own post against her to prove her point:

I'm a fetish CD, but for me, it's all about the IMAGE in the mirror! And very little to do with the FEEL of the clothes anymore! 6 categories for CDs is woefully inadequate!
    Maybe with 6 more SUB-categories for each one?
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Gender Variant Badger PaulaJaneThomas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by katie b View Post
    aaaaargh! I'll never ge the hang of these abbreviations.
    lol
    Best Wishes

Paula

Warning: This product may contain Badger
    Every girl crazy 'bout a sharp-dressed Badger.

"Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?"
    - Tony Hancock

They are both just labels. In the grand scheme of things it does not really matter what label you want to adopt.

If you wish to adopt a label, then human being is a good one.

They are the same. As individuals we either dress to feel fem or because it's sexy or even because mens clothing is so drab. Whatever the reason we are as one (we Dress).

Quote Originally Posted by paulajanethomas View Post
    lol :d
    ymmv, lol!

Gemsay, please don't let all this hoopla over labels scare you away. It's perfectly normal for different people to have different reasons for crossdressing (or whatever you want to call it).

It's also perfectly acceptable to come here and go as you please. You don't have to completely fit in (as if there were such a thing). Just pop in when you feel, take what you need, and leave the rest.

Usually in the USA, it's better to say crossdresser. Transvestite is still considered a derogatory term.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara Croft View Post
    Crossdresser = USA term
    Transvestite = UK term

Spot on !

In fact I'd never even heard the term 'Crossdresser' until I got to Australia 16 years ago. To be honest, I don't like the word 'Transvestite' - as it sounds like some nasty little disease - even "Crossdresser' sounds a little off, but not as bad.

I would prefer the term "Gender Conformity Challenged" - but I guess it'll never catch on - 'Tranny' is so much easier to say

Years ago in the UK, if you weren't a totally straight guy - i.e. smoked, drank, swore, mad about footbal and beat your girlfriend up occasionally, then you were a poofter, pansy, bender or queerboy etc..... so we have seen some progress.

Last edited by Suzy Harrison; 10-11-2009 at 09:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Carole View Post
    Hi Gemsay, like the rest I don't think you're in the wrong forum at all, quite the opposite. I started dressing, like a lot of other members at around age 4/5 so much too toung to know the sexual aspect of it. By my teens and later it would have been very difficult for me to successfully 'tuck' for more than a few minutes, yes it had become a sexuak gratification exercise. Now, however, that side has waned and the enjoyment is purely from the wearing of the clothing (well almost all of it ). Hope this helps and that you enjoy your membership here and we hear lots more from you.
    Carole, I couldn't have said it better. Like you, my first memories of dressing are just before age 4. By my 20's and for the following 30 years the sexual aspect came on rather strongly. Now at age 69 the clothes, the makeup, and the thrill of "being like a woman" are the focus of my dressing, and the sexual side has gone way out of focus.

Daisy

As you can see, we can't even agree on the definitions here on this site! Remember that "transvestite" is just the literal Latin translation of "crossdresser" -- "trans" = "cross", "vest" = "dress" (and "ite" is roughly equivalent to "er" if you want to be really picky). So lexically both words mean exactly the same thing: someone who wears clothes of the opposite sex. Desires, motives, and the extent to which you do so does not enter into it.

Now, various groups including psychiatrists (imo just a rung or two above palm readers in their credibility) and factions of the tg community have all attached their own definitions to those words.

I think Katie B has the best approach. If you really must label yourself, you can qualify the noun with an adjective or two... Don't be just any old crossdresser, be a fashion crossdresser (or whatever).

And while I'm taking Katie's name in vain, I have to point out that I didn't need the "lol" at the end to read Amanda's reply as tongue-in-cheek. I thought it was hilarious! Perhaps because in that extensive collection of labels I'm more of a "comedic transvestite".

Is there a difference? Does it really matter?
    I think the words are interchangeable.

Quote Originally Posted by AmandaM View Post
    Usually in the USA, it's better to say crossdresser. Transvestite is still considered a derogatory term.
    The word " transvestite " gives me the chills. I prefer Crossdresser .
    Fulfilling a Lifetime Dream of Living as a Woman in My Adult Years. Ten Years Living 24/7 as a Mature Lady

My Love of Cat's Eye Frames, Bangles, Red Lipstick, Nails, & Cheeks, Comes From My Mother - An Irish Beauty

I'm Always Rainbow Proud