Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We are everywhere . . .

We are everywhere . . .

Yesterday I had something fascinating happen to me while on a service call south of Houston Texas. While at my customers office, I noticed a sticker on her door for an organization with in her company that supports Gay, Lesbian, and Transgender diversity. With out really thinking about it, I pointed at the sticker and told her I thought it was awesome that her company was supportive, and proud enough about it to be making stickers to advertise it. I would tell you what company, but I’m concerned it wouldn’t be right share any of her info. Well, you could see her hesitate while trying to decide if she should say anything, and ultimately she chose not to. That’s OK with me, I understand it is often a bad idea to mix business and personal lives, and perhaps she wasn’t comfortable with that. Later in the day, we were in her car driving to pick up some small parts, when we had a discussion about one of her cars – a very unusual, expensive, and very attention getting mean little machine. She mentioned getting stopped by a police man, who clearly just wanted a closer look at the machine, and she told me about his reaction to finding two women who were clearly a couple driving it. Mind you, this is a small town in southern Texas, so we had a good laugh about Good Ol’ Boys. Since she had opened the door to the conversation, I asked her if she and her mate had been fortunate enough to get married before coming to Texas, while it had been legal in California. You could see her hesitate while trying to decide how much of her life she was willing to share with me, but in a moment she started talking.
    “We are married because of a loop hole, and it’s even legal in Texas.” She told me.
    “No kidding?!” I replied. “If you don’t mind my asking, what’s the loop hole?”
    “Well. . . . “ she again sort of hesitated. “We were married when she was a man.”
    She so surprised me with this, that I swear I’m not exaggerating, my jaw actually dropped. I probably sat there looking like an idiot for an entire second or two before I realized it, and shortly after that, realized how it must have looked to her. It must have seemed to her as if she had shared something deeply personal, and I was either making a joke of it, or I was shocked at the very concept. Little did she know that my shock was the surprise of finally meeting a customer that I knew was part of the transgendered world. With all of the places I’ve traveled, and the hundreds of people I meet doing my job, I’ve always thought that someday I might have a customer who is TG. It never once struck me that it would be the spouse I met though, not the TG.
    So there I sat, looking like an idiot with my jaw wide open, when it strikes me that my surprised look may have hurt or offended her, so I took the plunge to be sure she knew what was behind my surprise.
    “Well, believe it or not, your wife and I have a lot in common.” I told her, feeling just a bit nervous that maybe it wasn’t wise to mix my personal life with my work, but I just couldn’t let her think I was offended or shocked at the concept of someone being transgender. She told me she had suspected that I might be. I don’t recall the details of most of the rest of our conversation, but it was pleasant. She told me a bit more about how she and her SO had come to be where they are in their lives, and I told her a little about my travels. At the end of the day, I felt like she was not just a customer, but might also be friend.

I’m telling you people, we (transgendered) are everywhere . . .

Banned Read only
    That is an amazingly wonderful story, Kim. As she says, she must have obviously seen something in you to feel free enough to tell you that oh so personal bit of information. 'Cos deep in the heart of Texas, it was more than likely that her partner was in deep stealth. Even a lesbian couple would probably have a lot less hassles than one with a TG partner.

Thanks for that, and when you're in communication with her again, thank her and give best wishes from all of us here.

Gosh!

Tip of the iceberg

If truth be known,
    there is a real interesting story insde each of use just waiting to come forward.

I'm happy that both of you share a commonality.

Good for everyone everywhere.
    A Rose by any other name.....[SIZE="2"][/SIZE]

Love Rebecca Jayne

Former Member
    That's an awesome story!

The best of both worlds Kathi Lake's Avatar
    Right there. To your left. No, your LEFT! Yes, that's it. Hi.
    Wow, that's wonderful Kim! Not only that you met another person who is aware of you, but that she and her spouse are still together. Even in Texas, you can find acceptance. Who knows, maybe we'll have it here in Utah someday, but I wouldn't bet much on it.

Kathi

WOW Love to hear that-both of you sharing and having good lives.

Aspiring Member

Yes, Texas can be a very nice place!

Folks, if you don't know it, Houston, Texas (and environs) has one of the largest and most active CD/TG/TS/BI/Gay/Lesbian/Etc. communities in the United States.

Look it up.

Go there. Live there. It's not only possible, it's very pleasant.

Google it.

And, some of the " GLBT politicos" in Texas are very very well known. Google that too. So well known, I can almost guess who Kim was in the car with... But, hell, look it up. It's not that hard to do.

Folks, get over Texas being all cactus and cowboys. That's just PR. Real people live there with real lives that have nothing at all to do with, "cowboying it up."

Lots of real people... Friendly people.

As long as you are Googleing, note that the state has hundreds of miles of beach, thousands of lakes, thousands and thousands of acres of trees, and, oh yeah... Buckets of money.

Cowboy crap... Most of that is pretend stuff.

You think CDers "dress up" in silly get ups...?

You ain't been to a rodeo in that town.

Fat guys in big hats being bossed around by their wives...

Pussycats.

And, even if they are "cowboys and rednecks," they all have kids, cousins, uncles, grandmas about which they can say, "Yeah, he/she's a little weird. But, still damn good people."

Give 'em a chance, pardner.
    Last edited by mklinden2010; 10-08-2009 at 10:19 PM.

You just keep coming with em there Kimberly

We seem to more widely spread than I ever imagined, I used to think how alone I was, wow was I wrong

Mary,
    I have the impression that I've offended you, though I'm not entirely sure what I've said that makes you feel like I was slamming Texas. If it was my reference to "Good ol' boys", you really should meet my brother-in-law and his friends. lol

My living in Texas is not an accident of birth - I CHOSE to live in Texas when I got out of the Army in 1995. Obviously I like Texas, though I would have to admit that I don't care a great deal for the Houston area. It's got nothing to do with the caliber of the people there, it's the bad traffic, oppressive heat and humidity, Chemical plants, etc, etc.

A really cool experience!

I've run into at least one customer of mine in the past that I suspected was a transexual. A very tall woman with large hands but otherwise quite "average female" looking. Wasn't in a position to ask or get more information about her. Just left me wondering a bit.

I've also talked on-line with a professors assistant. He selected me to be interviewed by the prof. about trans experiences in our younger years. Turns out the assistant was a ftm. That wasn't as surprising as the fact that when he shared some background he mentioned the "little" town he had lived in for 10years. Turns out it was my town! We haven't exchanged our non-trans identities but chances are we bumped into each other somewhere along the line.

Yes, we are everywhere!!
    Sally

A California Girl Rachel Morley's Avatar
    How cool! What a great thing to hear! Yes, we're everywhere but of course (especially the CDers) we tend to keep things pretty private. I was only talking to my wife the other day when I said how weird it is that most people keep their femme self private and everyone knows them as their boy self, yet in our case both our names are pseudonyms and hardly anyone (even our TG friends) knows our real legal names .... whereas for us our TG life is known by a lot more folks and is posted at various places on the internet! Just Google Marla Morley ... my wife even has an entry in the Urban Dictionary!

Thanks for sharing Kim So do you think you'll take another trip to Houston to see your new friends again but this time let them see you dressed?
    The River City Gems - Northern California's largest and most active crossdressing & transgender support group!

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar

Oh, Kim!

What a GREAT STORY!

And I just LOVE happy endings!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Quote Originally Posted by TxKimberly View Post
    I’m telling you people, we (transgendered) are everywhere . . .
    Well, hell yeah! Cool story Kim!
    O

That's a wonderful story Kim.

I think it's a fact that everyone seems to be a bit more out there these days which is good for all of us. In the HQ of the company I work for there are several females who are with other females. One of them even sent me her wedding photos. So the times are a changing !

Aspiring Member

Offering opportunity...

Kim,

I'm not offended at all. I hope what I'm getting across is that most stereotypes about "Texas" being all sand, cows, and rednecks are incorrect. (But, of course, if you, Kim, live there, that's probably all the proof anyone on this forum really needs that it's more than an OK place.)

Anyone who Googles "top gay friendly cities in the US" will find Houston about third on most lists. I know... Hard even for me to believe. But, it is very much a "Live and let live town" and a "Live and let live state." Hopefully, some other CDers, TG people living there will chime in...

Meanwhile, with "Keep Austin Weird" stickers being so popular (Austin being the state capital) I guess it shouldn't be a big surprise that Texas ain't all cowboys.

Glad, by the way, your afternoon went so well. More proof, by the way, "that everybody knows somebody who...."

A California Girl Rachel Morley's Avatar
    Wow! ... they have bumper stickers that say "Keep Austin Weird" !??! Now that sounds awesome to me and definitely sounds like somewhere I'd like to live! I wish they had stickers like that for Sacramento.
    The River City Gems - Northern California's largest and most active crossdressing & transgender support group!

Gold Member
    A very cool story Kimberly. Well, maybe society IS changing one little bit at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel Morley View Post
    Wow! ... they have bumper stickers that say "Keep Austin Weird" !??! Now that sounds awesome to me and definitely sounds like somewhere I'd like to live! I wish they had stickers like that for Sacramento.
    I believe that's the official city slogan Rachel. It is an awesome city. 75 miles from my town, it it our adopted "big city". I'd love to live there too. Olivia

Thumbs up

Good for you. You showed her the biggest respect of all by opening up about yourself instead of being silent & letting her think you were judging her.

My town doesn't need any bumper-sticker, people see it in movies & tv all the time.
    Last edited by Fab Karen; 10-09-2009 at 04:57 AM.
    [SIZE="3"]Gender is a state of mind[/SIZE]
    LGBTQ PRIDE
    As of Oct. 5th, go here to see my pics:http://www.flickr.com/people/fab_karen/
    A Yankee Doodle T-Girl
    proud of my President

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel Morley View Post
    Yepper, as others have said, thats the official city slogan. I DID say that I CHOSE to live here didn't I?

Closer out than ever.. DanyaKay's Avatar
    Kim,..without being specific what industry do you work in? I'll go first my business energy transmission. I work the Gulf Coast area. dk

Zorro with a makeup brush BeckiB's Avatar
    Great story Kim. Life always throws us little twists to keep it interesting.

What a wonderful story Kim. I hope you both decide to continue on as friends.
    Hugs
    Beth

Hi Kim
    Thanks for sharing your story with us , it is great that she was willing to share her feelings with you.
    Tomara

Kin, what heart warming experience. It is always a wonderfull feeling to become acquainted with folks that think in the same vane as ourselves, especially with those of us in the tg world. Thank you for sharing you wonderful encounter. I am sure you will have additional times to share with this customer and her partner.