Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coming out story, and Birthday Present

Trans Adventurer supreme RobertaM's Avatar

Coming out story, and Birthday Present

Well all my sisters, I did it. I came out to my two closest guy friends that I have known for almost 30 years.

I was quite nervous all week once I decided in my mind that I was going to do this.

I did not need to tell them. I am a part timer and have both my girl guy side in balance. So why did I feel the need to do this? I think that I have come to the conclusion that I am happy and proud for what I am and just wanted to share with them. Did not really need their support(would be nice). I really did not care if they approved or not. OR maybe because its my bday. I don’t know.

Some background to our relationship. One I graded with highschool with and our friendship has ebbed and flowed thru the years. More recently he has done thru a messy divorce and now really happy with his new love(did not have an affair). He is my financial planner and investment broker. Really cool guy and fun to be around. Lets call him Bill

2nd the best man at my wedding. A senior manager at a very large software giant. A intellectual sort who you can have a philosophy discussion to 5 am in the morning. We have partied and been room mates for years leading up to my getting married. Picture the odd couple,, alex and felix,, that was us. ( I was the sports writer.) Lets call him John.

So here is how I did it. I kinda eluded to john earlier in the day that may be having a kinda serious discussion tonight on some issue. Kinda prepped him that this could be kinda life changing news.

So john and bill and I go out for a nice steak dinner and then some beers and darts afterwards. Sorry girlz,, im all guy mode for this. I did not think showing up in girl mode would have been appropriate. And I don’t think I could have be relaxed as I was.

So after dinner I start my speech,, talk about mid life crises, need to share,, etc and lead the discussion up to the point of telling them,, but did not actually tell them yet. Did not cross the line of no return yet. I was getting pretty emotional. They sensed that. Well I pulled out my picture of Roberta(the avatar picture) thru it all the table and said nothing!!!

I cant really remember what happen next but it was all good!!! I threw on to the table another 6 photos of me. “Is that you?” “you look really good” “wow omg” etc,, Some they recognize me in it,, some they said they did not. I kinda lost it at that point and had my face in my hands and serviette. Sobbing and crying. Basically its all good and it is what it is. Life goes on and nothing really changes. I was making it a much bigger deal than needed to be.

Here is the funny part. John had found my stash some 20 years ago and kinda new that I was a cder of some sort. Those days it was just some bits and pieces. He was embarrassed that he was looking thru my stuff and apologized. So he had an inking. At the time he thought it was best not to talk to me about it. To John this is no big deal and friendships continue.

Bill, actually was much more empathetic to my emotions. Gave me a few hugs and was rubbing my back as I was telling this story. I had totally forgot that his brother had come out gay 10-20 years ago. Their family was quite shocked and struggled with this. At the time I was surprised but ok with it. I never have been homophobic. Bill was at the time was (phobic) now is totally accepting of his brother. So bill is very emphatic to issues stresses and emotions on coming out to people.

Well we talked about cdressing and I explain some of the theory’s of late bloomers coming out of the closet and the male/female, balance and transgender issues. They asked if I was going to srs. No I said.

Well the night continued and if anything, they kept teasing me that now they have a whole series of ways to have jabs with me now!!! Guy in a dress jokes girl jokes etc.. All in good fun.

I was getting pretty drunk now. John and I talked to the wee hours of the morning. He was trying to understand why I was drinking so much as related to my coming out that evening. I normally don’t do shooter’s and multiple martinis. Humm food for thought.

All said and done, im happy with the result. They were very supportive and end result was NO BIG DEAL. Lesson learnt that we internalize our conflict and perceptions of others. Trust people and you will be surprised.

What a great birthday present!!
    Luv ya all!!
    Last edited by RobertaM; 10-11-2009 at 04:19 PM. Reason: spelling
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Vancouver Home 2010 olympics!

Gold Member
    Good for you Roberta! Acceptance stories are always great.

Happy Birthday! (What a great present!)

Roberta it sounds like you need a hug!!

Hannah~~

So they never asked to see you sometime en femme? Do you think they would want to? Will you?

Just can't help myself! Brenda456's Avatar
    Sounds like quite a night. I'll bet your head hurts!

WAY TA GO GIRL , you see I told you it would be alright. Oh and your birthday and you did not tell me. Hell I am going to have to bitch slap you next time I see you. Why would you not tell me . Oh well I guess when your THAT old you forget things. I will give you such a ear stinging rant when I see you for not telling me. Ok Ok.

Breath breath breath. Ok I am clam now. Anyway I am glad you did it. You were working yourself into a lather with the worrie. Now the next friend or family member you need/want to tell will be easier and you won't have the stress from it. Ok your friend is a financial planner and investment broker , That's something I need maybe you could introduce me to him. LOL. Lets see if he could handle Christina LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.

I am very proud of you hun, it was a big step. Almost as the big step out the door. Hell in some ways it is bigger and take more guts to tell long lived friends. You go girl friend.oh and this is for your fopa : of not telling me it was you B-day. See ya soon Hun.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC].....................100% Authentic Canadian Cross-dressing Truckdriver!!!!!!!!!

(((((((((((((((((((("I LOVE BEING A CROSSDRESSER")))))))))))))))))))

Link to My 20th high school reunion http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...d.php?t=112976

If you don't like my (honesty) well TFB.

Men are just a single celled orgasm , In a petri dish held by a woman. (Gene Simmons)

Jean skirts 'n boots. RockerTerri's Avatar
    Awesome. Just awesome. Good friends are hard as hell to find; they know that too, I bet

And happy birthday!
    I love this place.

Good for you ,I really like the part about being Happy and Proud of who you are.
    I have a friend that I have been wanting to share with and your story has encourgaged me to tell her .

Good for you Roberta.. an excellant piece of acceptance...
    [CENTER] Be sure the brain is engaged, before putting the mouth into gear

[SIZE="3"]Sam and I Are Now Together[/SIZE]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Accepted by me and mine Andrea's Lynne's Avatar
    Good for you, sweetheart!! And Happy Birthday!!!
    Love

Lynne

Acceptance is such a wonderful thing.
    and
    No closet is big enough!

Wow Roberta, what a great reaction.

Not wanting to rain on your parade, keep in mind that the euphoria of the moment on all sides will fade away and the new reality will sink in. Here's hoping nothing changes, that all continues to be great between you and your friends.

And BTW, happy birthday my friend. Are you 21 yet? Must be because you were drinking!!!
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

Roberta, congrats to your coming out to your friends and to another birthday.

Good going. And you got to learn they are true friends.
    [SIZE="3"]Gender is a state of mind[/SIZE]
    LGBTQ PRIDE
    As of Oct. 5th, go here to see my pics:http://www.flickr.com/people/fab_karen/
    A Yankee Doodle T-Girl
    proud of my President

Congrats and Happy Birthday. Roberta this is such good news and it is great that they are so accepting. I like the fact although "Bob" knew he waited for you to say something, he must be a special friend. The kidding and jokes are okay when it is in fun and they sound like fun individuals. I'm so happy for you.

Teri

Great story Roberta: I love happt endings

I dress to feel pretty Tina P Hose's Avatar
    It is very good to have friends, true friends...hope that you did not drive that night. Happy Birthday !!!
    From Madrid to Montreal that underneath it all that Tina prefers pantyhose

Well, you know Roberta,...

...it's like they say, "a friend helps you move; a good friend helps you move a body....

And just think ...now you have even more to be grateful for on Thanksgiving Day tomorrow (the Canadian version, anyway - eh?)

Thank you all for the support and kind comments, it really means a lot to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sara Jessica View Post
    Wow Roberta, what a great reaction.

Not wanting to rain on your parade, keep in mind that the euphoria of the moment on all sides will fade away and the new reality will sink in. Here's hoping nothing changes, that all continues to be great between you and your friends.

And BTW, happy birthday my friend. Are you 21 yet? Must be because you were drinking!!!
    thank you for your concern luv,, i pretty sure it wont, as we only see each other 2x year (not in same town) so i dont think it will.

Quote Originally Posted by Christina W View Post
    WAY TA GO GIRL , you see I told you it would be alright. Oh and your birthday and you did not tell me. Hell I am going to have to bitch slap you next time I see you. Why would you not tell me . Oh well I guess when your THAT old you forget things. I will give you such a ear stinging rant when I see you for not telling me. Ok Ok.
    Oh by the way ,, its my B day this wend, sorry for not telling you

Quote Originally Posted by NicoleScott View Post
    So they never asked to see you sometime en femme? Do you think they would want to? Will you?

We did talk about that, they were into it! Im more scared to do that than them. As i can only relate to them in guy mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Tina P Hose View Post
    It is very good to have friends, true friends...hope that you did not drive that night. Happy Birthday !!!
    nope, its all good. I did not drive.

Now i need to stuff the beaver and get it into the oven.
    no turkey in this house,,

luv and hugs to you all, Roberta

I think that was great. Congrats on your coming out. I think most people are more understanding than what we think. Go figure.

Happy birthday and congratulations on the courage to tell them. You got the same reaction from them as I have from telling the people I have, So? People just seem to accept and life goes on. Have a great day and don't get to tipsy.
    Sister will you…
    Make believe…
    Play dress up…
    Let me be the Princess…
    Tell me stories in the dark…
    Always be my friend?

Happy Birthday,

I came out to my brothers, some close friends and now plan to come out to other close friends.

Its not an issue for me, its only awkward because its different.

I live on the west coast of FL.In the Tampa bay area and in Franklin NC
    Awesome story thanks for sharing.

It is totally funny how we get worked up on an issues that is not a big deal. You have to ask yourself "whats the worst than can happen" if you are willing to accept that, well then no brainer.
    thank you again for the support!
    Last edited by RobertaM; 10-13-2009 at 10:00 PM.

Yay! What awesome friends.

Happy Birthday!