Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Passing without hormones

Question Passing without hormones

My wife and I were discussing this earlier. I have been experimenting with my makeup in an attempt to look better. I have mentioned to her how many people look so passable. I don't think that every passable CD'er takes hormones so what we would like to know, especially since she is dead set against me taking hormones, is how do you do it without the hormones?

I just took some pictures using a beard concealer and makeup kit I purchased from Suddenly Fem. I feel like I am so close but I am missing "something". Of course, having the makeup kit labeled would have helped. I figured out with ones were the eyeshadow and I think I know what the others are. As soon I can, Ill have the new pics posted.
    You're not going crazy. You're going sane in a crazy world.

Kim

Me, I've never taken any kind of hormones.
    I'm fortunate that my height and size falls within the range of most women and so I can fit most clothes that are medium or large (10 - 12) depending on how it's made.
    Also, I have been able to stay in relatively good shape and maintain my weight throughout the years, but at the same time my love handles are just big enough so that when I wear women's clothes it gives me a decent hour glass of a shape.

You can look passable without having to take hormones, it all depends on a lot of things like how you apply your make up, how you dress, what kind of wig you wear, your mannersims, walk, posteur, etc, etc.
    In addition, you have to have a positive attitude, confidence, and a smile.

Hugs!
    Last edited by joann07; 10-12-2009 at 06:37 PM.
    JoAnn

I love to see a beautiful woman in a nice dress, but then again, I also want to wear that dress.

[SIZE=4]None of us should ever "have to take hormones" to pass. Hormones are essential for those that are Transexual, not for CDs. A true TS is full aware of the lack of "completeness" and seeks hormones not for beautification but for the fulfillment of her femininity.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4]Hormones are serious stuff and should never be taken lightly or for a frivalous reason. The fact that many CDs want their own breasts causes many of them (us) to seek out hormones, but the ramifications go way beyond any breast growth. If you currently enjoy the use of all your equipment, hormones can play havoc with that part of your life and your wife may take serious objection to the "weak willed" member.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4]Crossdressing is, in my eyes obviously, a non-enhanced male's attempt at looking like a female. Others have other definitions and levels but that is mine.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4]I am sure you will get a full range of answers to this question but to me this sounds like you are simply pushing the fantasy envelope and possibly not understanding the potential and lack of appearance changes hormones might not bring.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4]Tami[/SIZE]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I am a licensed Cosmetologist (hair stylist, not cosmonaut), work as a hair and wig stylist, makeup artist and permanent makeup artist, dressed as you see in my avatar and albums.

My web site www.apparentlyfemale.com

I have over 2,500 pictures on my Flicker site located at http://www.flickr.com/photos/9315394@N02/

A terrific post hon. Arlene A Gurl 24/7 with hormones.
    Last edited by Sandra; 10-13-2009 at 08:35 AM. Reason: No need to quote the whole post
    Fulfilling a Lifetime Dream of Living as a Woman in My Adult Years. Ten Years Living 24/7 as a Mature Lady

My Love of Cat's Eye Frames, Bangles, Red Lipstick, Nails, & Cheeks, Comes From My Mother - An Irish Beauty

I'm Always Rainbow Proud

Hi Kim,

I have also never taken hormones. I have been able to achieve my feminine appearance with practice, practice and more practice. I have also used a book titled 'Making Faces' as a source of information and as a reference manual. If you have never read this book, I suggest you take a look at it.

Nicole

You should be able to get your desired affect without hormones. I do not pass, I do not do hormones, I don't have a female voice, but I still do go out enfemme sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicole Brown View Post
    Hi Kim,

I have also never taken hormones. I have been able to achieve my feminine appearance with practice, practice and more practice. I have also used a book titled 'Making Faces' as a source of information and as a reference manual. If you have never read this book, I suggest you take a look at it.

Nicole
    Nicole,
    Sounds like a book I need to read.
    Fulfilling a Lifetime Dream of Living as a Woman in My Adult Years. Ten Years Living 24/7 as a Mature Lady

My Love of Cat's Eye Frames, Bangles, Red Lipstick, Nails, & Cheeks, Comes From My Mother - An Irish Beauty

I'm Always Rainbow Proud

hormones

I'm with Tamara, no way. That is messing with your body way too much for a non transition person.
    Joan
    joank
    Southern California

I'm with the other Nicole i also have "Making Faces" and it help me to become a little more passable with a little practice, and i agree with tamara also if u r not transistioning

I am not really looking to pass and yes I take hormones but they are male hormones

your face in your pictures dosnt look bad maybe your wig isnt working that well with you face

No..... Not taking hormones either and have never been sure if I pass or not... I do not have problems going out but then again I have never really given a damn what others think of the way I dress either....
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Karren Hutton View Post
    No..... Not taking hormones either and have never been sure if I pass or not... I do not have problems going out but then again I have never really given a damn what others think of the way I dress either....
    Bravo MsKarren .

I'm Always Rainbow Proud

Quote Originally Posted by kimkat View Post
    My wife and I were discussing this earlier. I have been experimenting with my makeup in an attempt to look better. I have mentioned to her how many people look so passable. I don't think that every passable CD'er takes hormones so what we would like to know, especially since she is dead set against me taking hormones, is how do you do it without the hormones?

I just took some pictures using a beard concealer and makeup kit I purchased from Suddenly Fem. I feel like I am so close but I am missing "something". Of course, having the makeup kit labeled would have helped. I figured out with ones were the eyeshadow and I think I know what the others are. As soon I can, Ill have the new pics posted.
    Hey Kimkat,

Tamara's post is so valid, but then I agree with Karren (once again). It's important to remember that women start working on their appearance at a very young age, and have the advantage of learning as they go, sharing techniques with friends and family, as well as having "natural" beauty (many use very little makeup at all). I would suggest a makeover with a beauty consultant, like Tamara, to give you some tips, but most of all, just spend time in front of the mirror practicing. Do one step at a time, starting with a very close shave, some good beard cover, and don't hurry the process. Applying makeup should should be a fun and rewarding experience, especially when you finally "get it" and remember, there are many variations of application. Post your results here, and you will get some great input!
    Transtronaut

You must first find yourself before you can discover your future-

Banned Read only
    I feel like I am so close but I am missing "something".
    Do you really think you're that close to passing?

I appreciate all of the input. I think most of my problem is that I don't feel that I am completely male nor do I feel that I am completely female. More of something in the middle. Its almost like having two minds in one body. Thankfully they dont argue with each other too much. Its like it depends on the situation and mood at the time as to which part is more dominant.

I was never good at "traditional male sports". I even liked playing with my sisters' dolls and other toys just as much as I enjoyed my own toys. I did learn how to cook when I was about 12 twelve years old. I could bake cakes and breads. So exactly what I am I have no earthly idea. As for rather or not I will take hormones, probably not. And I do agree that no one should be forced to take anything. It should be a result of an informed decision.

Sorry if none of that makes any sense. It doesn't make complete sense to me either.

Quote Originally Posted by Temptation View Post
    Do you really think you're that close to passing?
    That is just the way I feel as far as the physical looks. Voice will probably never happen even though I have been called "ma'am" before on the phone. Came back from the back office on time and had a message. They wanted to speak to "the lady" they had spoken to earlier about a particular problem.

Kim

Look,
    Taking hormones is NOT are not magic pills that makes someone pass or not..

Tamara said it very well in her post, so please read it again if you need to.

And NO, most of the girls you see here in the CD section do not take hormones, and many look better than I ever will...

And just because you weren't good at sports or played with dolls is totally irrelevant, it doesn't mean a thing either way..

If you do have serious doubts about your gender, and HATE being a man, then I suggest you seek out a gender therapist to help you sort it out....
    [SIZE=3]Karen[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]I really do have the...Right To Be Wrong.. [/SIZE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkSTG...eature=channel [SIZE=2]and my mistakes will make me strong![/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Just call out my name...and I'll come running...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SxTo...eature=related just lovin classic JT again...[/SIZE]

I appreciate all of the input. I think most of my problem is that I don't feel that I am completely male nor do I feel that I am completely female. More of something in the middle. Its almost like having two minds in one body. Thankfully they dont argue with each other too much. Its like it depends on the situation and mood at the time as to which part is more dominant.

I was never good at "traditional male sports". I even liked playing with my sisters' dolls and other toys just as much as I enjoyed my own toys. I did learn how to cook when I was about 12 twelve years old. I could bake cakes and breads. So exactly what I am I have no earthly idea. As for rather or not I will take hormones, probably not. And I do agree that no one should be forced to take anything. It should be a result of an informed decision.
    I understand what you are saying, Kimkat, and have much of the same background as the one you described above, along with many of the same feelings.

Lately I've been on a quest to informally figure out the "triggers" of passing, particularly my own ability to seemingly do so.

I'm about 5'7" (~170 cm.), weigh about 150 lbs. (~68 kilos, about 10.7 stone), and have long (but thinning) hair in a pony tail.

I've had facial hair laser removal and can look pretty smooth and shadowless when closely shaved. I also have long polished acrylic nails and shaped eyebrows.

Oh, and I'm "old," a bit over 60. I think my age is a big factor in my apparent passing.

My voice is definitely masculine, but when I soften it I seem to be able to pass almost always, almost completely.

With very little makeup I seem able to pass, almost regardless of what I am wearing.

Even more significant, with NO makeup and wearing anything possibly femme, like a pastel sweatshirt, I am routinely told I'm in the wrong restroom -- when I'm in the men's room.

I know that this isn't true for all of us and I feel for the girls who are tall and broad and have dark beards and other outward manifestations of masculinity.

I think that the triggers are lack of beard or shadow, long hair, probably the nails, and the feminine manners and moves that I've carefully cultivated. For anyone in my height/weight range, I suspect that with some effort, but with no need for hormone suppliments, the same is possible.

Hope that helps.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

Gender Variant Badger PaulaJaneThomas's Avatar
    Passing is not something you do, it's what other people do to you. It has nothing to do with hormones or where you are on the gender spectrum. Learn to make the best of what you've got.
    Best Wishes

Paula

Warning: This product may contain Badger
    Every girl crazy 'bout a sharp-dressed Badger.

"Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?"
    - Tony Hancock

i am 57 an all my life have not taken oney thing i do not have a hire on my body other then my head witch is shlder link popple call me more a women then a man even girl frinds if i did not have what is down ther i wood be a girl to most it it not how you look it how wont to be if i had beast a c-d i wood be a women an no body wood the differnce so be you not what ever body wonts

We all have our dreams... AmiFL's Avatar

Makeover

I would forget the thought of taking hormones unless you want to transition.

For a first try you look pretty nice. When I start dressing again instead of just talking about it, I am going for a makeover somewhere. It has been to long since I dressed and wore makeup. I want to see what I can really look like as a woman. Probably a lot like my mother. A professional makeover will give the tools and techniques to bring out the whole woman in you.

Try it, I'm going to..........

Ya what they said , unless you going for SRS you don't need hormones. I looked at your pics. You plus size like me , here's a few tips.

1) you need more eyes. make them pop out a little more.

2) maybe a little more blush and some toner to bring out you cheek bones.

3) do you know what spanks are? Well it is a spanx undergarment that will help flatten you tummy and they go down as far as you knee . It helps very good and can give you a better shape.

The hair is something your going to need to work on , on your own. When you go looking for a new wig make sure you go dressed, plus make sure they have a private room so you can change . When you find the perfect wig you know right away.
    Remember plus size girl like us can pass cuz our extra size rounds our face and body and can hide things like Adams apple etc.

All you need to do now is practice practice practice practice and sooner then you think you will look good. I don't pass but I don't care if people read me , so that does not stop me going out.

Once you get to that point where you when you go out , and have confidence and walk around like you know you belong there most of the people will not even read you. They will just think oh there goes a plus size women. So keep trying and you will have fun.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC].....................100% Authentic Canadian Cross-dressing Truckdriver!!!!!!!!!

(((((((((((((((((((("I LOVE BEING A CROSSDRESSER")))))))))))))))))))

Link to My 20th high school reunion http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...d.php?t=112976

If you don't like my (honesty) well TFB.

Men are just a single celled orgasm , In a petri dish held by a woman. (Gene Simmons)

OK, sorry I didn't see your pictures last night, but I saw them just now, so my advise to you is, and please dont take it the wrong way, but only as advise to achieve what your asking for..

1st, you need to drop your wieght down, I see a beer belly, & looks like your retaining lots of fluid, like in the neck, so stop the Salt & Sugar intake, fast food & fries, eat more Green veggies, & a well balanced meal with reduced portions, dont eat at night, limit your drinking except for water..

I say this only because I see the huge potential you do have, so as your dropping the pounds, it will give you time to learn how to apply makeup better in the mean time, but it does take lots & lots of experimenting & practice, & more practice till you find the right products to use & get the look you want..
    Personally, I wouldn't bother with cosmetics from Suddenly Fem, it cost more & not as good as you can get from any Wal-Mart or a drug store, but even better, I would suggest on going to Macy's or a Mac store..

So you do that, & you'll be be amazed in what you will achieve in looking more fem..& feel better too..!!

Just so you know,
    I started out as obese, & said enough is enough, and decided to start to eating better since Feb 09, and because of it, have lost over 9 inches, closer to 10" on my waistline & still losing more..

You can do it too, so Good Luck!!!
    [SIZE=3]Karen[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]I really do have the...Right To Be Wrong.. [/SIZE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkSTG...eature=channel [SIZE=2]and my mistakes will make me strong![/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Just call out my name...and I'll come running...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SxTo...eature=related just lovin classic JT again...[/SIZE]

Jean skirts 'n boots. RockerTerri's Avatar
    Unless you plan to have SRS, dont screw with your endocrine system.

If you plan to have SRS, thing long, hard and then think some more before you screw with your endocrine system.

I have been fulltime for over 6 months, I do plan to have SRS, I am not currently using hormones, and I "pass" just fine. Your basic body shape matters some, but far more important is the way you sound and act. Hormones arent perfect; id like to take them, simply so I have some fat redistribution, but as a poster above said, love handles help=)

TBH, SRS and hormones are pretty far down on my list of things "to do". No one is going to tell me to take off my pants and prove my biological sex. Now, electrolysis, thats something else...
    I love this place.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Karen564 View Post
    OK, sorry I didn't see your pictures last night, but I saw them just now, so my advise to you is, and please dont take it the wrong way, but only as advise to achieve what your asking for..

1st, you need to drop your wieght down, I see a beer belly, & looks like your retaining lots of fluid, like in the neck, so stop the Salt & Sugar intake, fast food & fries, eat more Green veggies, & a well balanced meal with reduced portions, dont eat at night, limit your drinking except for water..

I say this only because I see the huge potential you do have, so as your dropping the pounds, it will give you time to learn how to apply makeup better in the mean time, but it does take lots & lots of experimenting & practice, & more practice till you find the right products to use & get the look you want..
    Personally, I wouldn't bother with cosmetics from Suddenly Fem, it cost more & not as good as you can get from any Wal-Mart or a drug store, but even better, I would suggest on going to Macy's or a Mac store..

So you do that, & you'll be be amazed in what you will achieve in looking more fem..& feel better too..!!

Just so you know,
    I started out as obese, & said enough is enough, and decided to start to eating better since Feb 09, and because of it, have lost over 9 inches, closer to 10" on my waistline & still losing more..

You can do it too, so Good Luck!!!
    No offense is taken. Beer bellies run in my family. I have actually been working out, eating better, limiting alcohol consumption, I don't add salt to my food normally. Still a lot of things I can do to make things better but I am working on it. In those pictures you just saw I am actually 10 pounds lighter! What got me really started in trying to loose is tired of being asked "So, when is your baby due?"

I only purchased the make up from Suddenly Fem because I wanted the beard cover and wanted to try all the other items that came in the kit. The VERY first set of pictures that I posted, not in my album, are from using make-up I got from Target and Walgreens while TRYING to follow along with the book I got from Suddenly Fem "Art & Illusion Deluxe Edition". Is there much difference between this book and "Making Faces" to be worth spending the money to get it also?

It will be difficult but I'm going to try to practice putting makeup on both on my off days and prior to going to work. Just hate having to take off so quickly.

I probably should put this in another thread, but how do you keep your foundation from getting on your blouse? I tried following the instructions to "set" the foundation with loose powder but that didn't seem to help. Thankfully I was able to clean it up without ruining them.

Thanks again for all the feedback and support. Something I desperately need.

Kim