Thread: Comment from wife....

Comment from wife....

At Carrabba's (best chain restaurant ever!) about the wait staff. All were wearing khaki slacks white button up shirts and very masculine ties. When she commented on how the ladies were dressed, I couldn't help but say " If the guys were in skirts people would think it's weird....why is that?" She then looked at me, smiled and said "good point." The best part of the conversation was that she actually agreed with me for a change! LOL

I would have gone in the skirt and blouse to prove my point. I really don't get this type of work uniform and how this is good for business? Take Hooters for an example, okay it is over the top the other way but women should look like women not men. JMO

Teri

Quote Originally Posted by Teri Jean View Post
    . . . . but women should look like women not men. JMO

Teri
    er ... no ... anyone should be free to look however they wish. We cant have it both ways.
    Sometimes I may have a different taste - but it doesn't mean I have the right to say "you should conform to stereotype"
    "Sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander" comes to mind.

Sounds like a fun place to me. I think women can look really cute in guys clothes - they are NOT trying to be guys, just being girls in shirts and ties!
    Mirani - [meer-rahn-nee] Beauty to Behold; to "See" beauty

Senior Age Member sissystephanie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Teri Jean View Post
    I would have gone in the skirt and blouse to prove my point. I really don't get this type of work uniform and how this is good for business? Take Hooters for an example, okay it is over the top the other way but women should look like women not men. JMO, Teri
    Teri, with Hooters it is the Top!! O.K., and the Legs!! And you said women should look like women and not men. What about MtF Crossdressers? We are men who dress to look like women!!

I am not in favor of Carrabas type of work uniform, but it apparently works for them! If they were losing money I am sure they would change! The point is that it is deemed socially O.K. to put women in pants and a shirt with tie like a man, but totally unacceptable to have the male waiter wear a skirt and blouse!! I wonder how many of the waiters would be willing to do that? I might look for a job if that happens!!
    Stephanie

Lady on the outside, but man underneath!

LOL!!! If a restaurant wanted waiters in a skirt I'd re-write my resume for some part-time extra income! While it is a strange double standard, I have to admit that it's easier for women to look good in mens clothes than it is for a man in women's clothes. Who said life was fair?

If it doesn't happen often, cherish the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by sissystephanie View Post
    The point is that it is deemed socially O.K. to put women in pants and a shirt with tie like a man, but totally unacceptable to have the male waiter wear a skirt and blouse!! I wonder how many of the waiters would be willing to do that?
    I would wager to guess very, very few.
    My flickr.com username: Rebecca Morris! Come say hello

Am I missing the point? They are in a uniform, isn't that so everyone has a uniform look? And you could bet if they had them all in skirts, the place would be losing money! Oh and any waitress can tell you Tips are better in a short skirt. (because men are Pigs) Ha ha!
    Tina

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffany Leigh View Post
    I couldn't help but say " If the guys were in skirts people would think it's weird....why is that?" She then looked at me, smiled and said "good point."
    Score one for us! Nice point, Tiffany. I'm the same way and try to remark gently on little ironies like that to my wife whenever the chance presents itself. On occasion she'll throw it back in my face, but sometimes (like your Carraba's point) there's just no arguing the strangeness. It's just a fun game we play.

The more we talk with our SO's or friends and get our unique perspective out there, the better, I'd say.

Quote Originally Posted by Tina B. View Post
    And you could bet if they had them all in skirts, the place would be losing money!
    But wow, they would not lack for waiter applicants! I would love to follow that employee handbook...

[SIZE="3"]Wait staff must report to work in clean, pressed company-issue blouses and skirts, sheer or opaque hosiery, and black shoes with heel height not to exceed 3.5 inches. Tasteful accessories such as scarves, necklaces, earrings, bracelets, rings, and anklets are optional but encouraged. Employee attendance to corporate-provided hair, makeup, and nail artist appointments is MANDATORY.[/SIZE]

One can dream...
    Last edited by Di; 10-14-2009 at 09:10 AM. Reason: use the multi quote option
    - Jacky ^_^/

i wish i had the figure to work at hooters!

Does anyone else wonder if any of the waiters are FtM crossdressers who are pleased to be able to wear the uniform?

crossdress cafe

In Japan they have cafes that have such staff

http://ca.video.yahoo.com/watch/5745101/15047743

Jennifer

Quote Originally Posted by Mirani View Post
    er ... no ... anyone should be free to look however they wish. We cant have it both ways.
    Sometimes I may have a different taste - but it doesn't mean I have the right to say "you should conform to stereotype"
    "Sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander" comes to mind.

Sounds like a fun place to me. I think women can look really cute in guys clothes - they are NOT trying to be guys, just being girls in shirts and ties!
    I have to agree with this 100%, As Crossdressers we should be the very last people on this grewat big planet to say someone should wear certain clothes. think about what you are saying and what you are thinking about.
    Try this, Make believe, that you have a job waiting tables, and the uniform for both male and female is a skirt and frilly blouse. Now as a CDer you would enjoy it. Now let's say someone comes into the resturant and makes remarks about it not being a good thing.
    I nshourt try putting the shoe on the other foot.

A crossdressed wait staff might be a good novelty!

I have thoughts of getting an old diner type place and have all TG staff.It might be a great draw in the right spot.Men wear skirts in other countries.We wouldn't dress like Hooter's girls.Only Joanne can do that!

Good luck making the business case to the bank for that diner, Rogina! But I bet it would be successful in the right location. Certainly not wear I live, though.

If the guys wore skirts my wife wouldn't go there..... Just as she wouldn't go to Hotters because of the way they dress... Personally if the staff are curtious and the food is good I don't care what they wear...
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffany Leigh View Post
    " If the guys were in skirts people would think it's weird....why is that?" She then looked at me, smiled and said "good point." The best part of the conversation was that she actually agreed with me for a change! LOL
    A small victory but it shows a willingness to see both sides. Something we all should do.

Quote Originally Posted by sissystephanie View Post
    I wonder how many of the waiters would be willing to do that? I might look for a job if that happens!!
    It has and there are. Good paying waitstaff jobs draw people who can play roles for enough money. We have two here in Denver and they are both very busy. The waitstaff however does reinforce the extreme drag queen look. That's what people want to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Tina B. View Post
    And you could bet if they had them all in skirts, the place would be losing money!
    Why? Its a theme no different than wearing bright orange too tight hot pants or LBDs (ever been to a fancy steakhouse?) on the female staff and white shirts and long aprons on the males. The assumption that a business cannot survive just because some one wears a skirt is weak (see above)
    Oh and any waitress can tell you Tips are better in a short skirt. (because men are Pigs) Ha ha!
    Tina
    Didn't that just cancel the argument yo made? (be fair women are pigs too. Have you ever been to a strip show that features men?)

Quote Originally Posted by rogina garter View Post
    I have thoughts of getting an old diner type place and have all TG staff.It might be a great draw in the right spot.
    Quote Originally Posted by tinalynn View Post
    Good luck making the business case to the bank for that diner, Rogina! But I bet it would be successful in the right location. Certainly not wear I live, though.
    Where you live they may not be able to even support a Hooters (since we are stuck on that analogy) because of very conservative views. Try and convince your SO you go there because they have "good wings." I go to strip clubs for the music.

And as far as financing goes can you imagine the first bankers that Starbucks went to? "You want to open a coffee shop. You will sell coffee and coffee beverages for 5$ plus. It will never fly when I can get coffee for a buck and free refills at Joe's. You want to be on every corner in the world? Maybe even two on a block? Who would pay 5$ a cup? and what the heck is a venti?"
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Actually, the Hooters here is as popular as any. The redneck presence is strong here! (Not saying only rednecks go to Hooters (I do!), but you get the point...) My wife won't step into one, she says anyone dressed like that are hookers. I just say "meow"... And we both know the wings aren't all that...

Actually, the Hooters here is as popular as any. The redneck presence is strong here! (Not saying only rednecks go to Hooters (I do!), but you get the point...) My wife won't step into one, she says anyone dressed like that are hookers. I just say "meow"... And we both know the wings aren't all that...
    You mean...they aren't!?!?

(Personally I wasn't impressed with the waitresses at Hooters either, but I am from a different era, the Bunnies at the Playboy club make Hooters girls look average...Oh geez that was a sexist remark wasn't it? )

Edit: Had to adds something I just thought of. Maybe a TG Diner would make it in your area....how many of those good ol' boys might like a little MtF on the sly?
    Last edited by Lorileah; 10-14-2009 at 12:02 PM.
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

There is such a reastaurant...

Quote Originally Posted by rogina garter View Post
    I have thoughts of getting an old diner type place and have all TG staff.It might be a great draw in the right spot.Men wear skirts in other countries.We wouldn't dress like Hooter's girls.Only Joanne can do that!
    ... two, actually - one in NYC, and the other in Las Vegas called "Lucky Cheng's".

Here's the link:

http://www.luckychengsrestaurant.com...edp/index.html

Enjoy!

I'm surprised that the "Hooters" chain...

Quote Originally Posted by Lorileah View Post
    You mean...they aren't!?!?

(Personally I wasn't impressed with the waitresses at Hooters either, but I am from a different era, the Bunnies at the Playboy club make Hooters girls look average...Oh geez that was a sexist remark wasn't it? )

Edit: Had to adds something I just thought of. Maybe a TG Diner would make it in your area....how many of those good ol' boys might like a little MtF on the sly?
    ...is still in business as it is pretty much a "one-trick-pony", and while the view is nice, the food is generally mediocre.

And given the ****ty way most young women dress these days (at least the ones who aren't wearing jeans, sweats, track suits and flip-flops etc.) you get to see far more boob-age, exposed and pierced mid-riffs, as well as barely covered thong-enhanced bum cheeks peeking out of "Daisy Dukes" on the streets of any large city any time you want - and for free!

Haha! So true. I regularly think about this especially when I see girls wearing button down dress shirts, khakis, business suits, etc.

crossdress cafe

In Japan crossdress cafe are popular

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xam...s-cafes_travel

Jennifer

LOL!!! If a restaurant wanted waiters in a skirt I'd re-write my resume for some part-time extra income! While it is a strange double standard, I have to admit that it's easier for women to look good in mens clothes than it is for a man in women's clothes. Who said life was fair?

Tell me about it.......