Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Biggest Taboo of all.....fat

The Biggest Taboo of all.....fat

Do you ladies feel pressured to adhere to societies expectations of what a woman should look like now that you're "out and about?" I know I work extra hard at the gym these days just so I can keep the slim look. I know beauty is what's on the inside but personally I think I look that much sexier without the extra weight. I just feel more like a woman with a sexy physique.

What is everybody else's opinions on this matter?

Me being slim to look sexy, HA! at 65 THAT ain't gonna happen
    Me being slim to look healthy, yeah, I can go with that and feel good about it.
    Me being slim to wear the smaller cuter clothes, NOW we're talking.

I'm not a slave to skinny because the fashion mags say so. BUT, if I don't want to look like too much of a frump who should buy her clothes at the local tent maker, then I have to spend some time at the gym.

GYM, we think it was so terrible during the Spanish Inquisition with all the torture devices. Today we're enlightened, ... we pay money to use those same machines on ourself, ... willingly.

Progress, ... a wonderful thing
    Lead me NOT into temptation
    (I can find my own way)
    I HAVE WALKED THAT MILE IN HER HEELS
    CURTSY to all BOW to [SIZE="3"]NONE[/SIZE]

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...6284/event.png

Since I lost 50 pounds I exersize every day... Play ice hockey twice a week.. Step on th scale every morning so I know how I can eat that day and watch what I eat... Not because of pressure from society.. Yeah I look great in my size 10 LBD but I do it because its healthy!!
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Clear Air Turbulence Joni Marie Cruz's Avatar
    When I decided I wasn't going to be stuck in the closet anymore, which was several years ago, I went from 250+ pounds down to 170 in the course of a year. Sadly, some of what was lost has been found again, but I do try to keep an eye on my weight, not only because I feel I look better but also because it's just better for my health overall. It sure ain't easy, though.

Hugs...Joni Mari
    "Because equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who's confronted with it."

--Joss Whedon, to a reporter who asked, "So why do you create these strong women characters?"

Suddenly I See
    what? where am i? i don't recognize this planet...
    Its kinda funny, in guy mode, i don't worry one bit about my weight, but its my fem side that compels me to work on it. Granted all my clothes fit much better when i'm in better shape, and with a trim stomach (still working on getting back there.. eheh) i think its much easier to look femme.

Hugs
    -Sera

Down into the Easy Chair SweetCaroline's Avatar
    I'm probably in a minority in that I'm actually relatively small for a man, both my height and my weight. I eat just about anything and I don't gain weight. I have a little bit of a man-gut but the corset takes care of that.

With that said, I have found myself lately, especially as I get closer to forty, watching what I eat, and exercising a little more. I eat a lot more salads than I used to, and I would take walks in the evening over the summer.
    I am very physically active both on my job and in my social life, so I've never worked out the way many people do, but I am more and more conscious of taking care of myself. A lot of it's just staying in shape, but a lot of it does have to do with my femme presentation.
    Caroline Emily
    Co-Moderator
    SISTERS FAMILY

Gardner Chapter
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sisters_of_gardner/
    Worcester Chapter
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sisters_of_worcester/

Family is the most important thing in the World.

Gender Variant Badger PaulaJaneThomas's Avatar
    Being fat is unhealthy regardless of your gender identity.
    Best Wishes

Paula

Warning: This product may contain Badger
    Every girl crazy 'bout a sharp-dressed Badger.

"Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?"
    - Tony Hancock

8rys, going on walkabout
    I have been trying to loose weight for both modes. Over the last couple years I had let myself go and I hit the 250 mark and have been clawing it down since. Now if I could only selectivly loose weight... Like loose the belly leave the thighs and chest.

Gold Member
    I feel it is more about health. After retiring from the military, I packed some (hah!) pounds on. I have lost them all in the last couple of years and more. I am down to my high school weight. Still feel like I had a little more to lose, but this is okay.

Diet is the key. Exercise is very good, you can maintain without exercise but you will have a hard time maintaining without a diet (unless you are Caroline ).

long journey

I'm trying to make the long journey from mid-life weight back dow to something healther, mostly so that the clothes "hang" better, just getting under 200lbs....

to quote my psych textbook; "weight discrimination is, in fact, notably greater than race or gender discrimination and occurs at every employment stage".....
    do I need an APA citation, are you marking this?

I' not doing to bad I'm 5'7'' @ 155 lbs A bit of a tummy. But I do like to eat. And most of it ain't good for me.
    Angie

It's True.....

The population of this country are some of the fattest people in the world, just look around and you will see overweight people everywhere. Men, women, children, dogs, all packing those extra pounds, and creating some real health issues for themselves and our ailing health care system. Personally, because I'm transgendered, it drives me to stay in shape, watch what I eat, and only eat when I'm really hungry. I hate not being able to fit into my favorite dress! Not to mention that it just feels so much better to be in shape and not be self concious about being overweight.
    No disrespect meant to those who are heavy and don't mind it.
    Transtronaut

You must first find yourself before you can discover your future-

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar

Your health IS IMPORTANT!

Staying at, or near, your "playing weight", let's U participate in a more active life! Which means it is more enjoyable, and probably longer!

I have a bad back. Every morning I do 600+ crunches. Or, suffer more pain.

Just a few lbs. extra, and my tite outfits won't fit me!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

I seem to be in Sweet Carolines catgory.Weight was 155 lbs my senior year of high school ( long time ago ) now at 140 lbs and eat anything I want,when I want.
    Kimmy 55

Smile no weight issues

Quote Originally Posted by SweetCaroline View Post
    I'm probably in a minority in that I'm actually relatively small for a man, both my height and my weight. I eat just about anything and I don't gain weight.
    I am more and more conscious of taking care of myself. A lot of it's just staying in shape, but a lot of it does have to do with my femme presentation.
    I'm in the same situation. Most of you weighed more when you were 12 or 14 than I do today.
    I'm fortunate to not have any trouble finding clothes that fit.

Clear Air Turbulence Joni Marie Cruz's Avatar
    I have to agree with what Suzanne said, if it weren't for my desire to express my feminine side and do the best job that I could at it, I would probably still weigh 250 pounds, as my male self, I didn't much care, but as Joni I want to look as good as I can given what I have to work with.

Hugs...Joni Mari
    "Because equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who's confronted with it."

--Joss Whedon, to a reporter who asked, "So why do you create these strong women characters?"

I have just two words for those who are out of shape -- Weight Watchers[SIZE="1"]®[/SIZE].

In one year my spouse, our son, and I dropped a total of 190 pounds and we've kept them off. There was no real "diet," no suffering, we just learned to change how we view food and what we eat.

Both my spouse and I have gone from size 16-18 to size 6. We look better (way better!), we feel better, and we're loving our new more active lifestyle.

Can't recommend it enough.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

when i decided i wanted to start going out i lost a bunch of weight i use to be 5'6 and 165 and now im 5'6 and 135, i just run, and watch what i eat!

Yeah since dropping 38 lbs recently I've been in the process of buying a new wardrobe for both genders since I'm swimming in what I have now.

I believe that you physical health and your mental health run hand-in-hand.

If you don't feel good about yourself then you will not feel good.

I don't think you have to be skinny. I have met a lot of tgirls and ggs that were a little on the heavier side but were still very, very sexy.

Personally, I think one of my greatest assets is my flat stomach. I know how hard it was to get it...I'm not going to let it go.

I do wish I could add some weight in my rear end but every time I do it ends up going to my love handles or tummy instead of my butt. Dang...I wish we could target where our fat goes.

Kisses,

Allie

[SIZE=4]I have noticed this about myself and my weight. When I was still in the closet, and just starting to deal with Bethany and all that comes with her. I had topped out with my heaviest weight ever. At 270 and only five foot eight I was quite hefty. Well over the past year I have started to drop weight. At first, it was not intentional. Then after a visit to the Dr. and seeing that I had lost some weight. I then started to be more conscious about what I ate and when. Now that I am seeing results and am fitting into smaller sizes, I am Active in trying to really reduce my weight. Being that I have always been a Very stocky man, and tend to be an very, very stocky woman, I feel I need to be as trim as I can be. I am now down to 220lbs., and am trying to reach lbs.. For as everyone else here I do wish to be as passable as I can be. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4]I once read on here in another thread where one person said(and I am paraphrasing) something to the affect that some of us should know better than trying to dress; like J. Edger Hoover. When I read that, I instantly thought of myself. However, now I can see improvement. I know I have a long way to go, but I am constantly trying to improve on all aspects of my dressing. My weight, make-up, hair, sense of style. I want it all. I know I may never be what I want, but I will keep working to get the best that I can be. [/SIZE]
    One day your life is going to pass before your eye's, Make sure it is worth watching.

Eddie Izzard said it best "I am an action tranvestite".

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bethanyannstratford/

The best of both worlds Kathi Lake's Avatar
    Right there. To your left. No, your LEFT! Yes, that's it. Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sue View Post
    I feel it is more about health. After retiring from the military, I packed some (hah!) pounds on. I have lost them all in the last couple of years and more. I am down to my high school weight. Still feel like I had a little more to lose, but this is okay.

Diet is the key. Exercise is very good, you can maintain without exercise but you will have a hard time maintaining without a diet (unless you are Caroline ).
    Wow, high school weight. God job! I haven't seen high school weight since, . . . well, high school. Of course, then I weighed 109 pounds, but . . .

Kathi

HS was forty years ago for me, and at 170 and six one I was skinny. Today I've lost and inch in height and weigh out at 220. I should really loose wight, because it's apparent I have a slight guy gut in a dress. One reason why I don't ware dresses all that often. If I was a GG I'd love to have the curves some women have. Thin isn't it in to my eye.

High school weight for me was 158 but at 5'10" thats skin and bones. I think maybe about 5 more lbs lost and thats where I would like to stay(around 165). I'm not doing it so much for society's expectations of how I should look but mainly because I feel healthier at this weight. And I have a bigger selection of clothes to choose from since I'm skinnier.

Gold Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathi Lake View Post
    Wow, high school weight. God job! I haven't seen high school weight since, . . . well, high school. Of course, then I weighed 109 pounds, but . . .

Kathi
    C'Mon, you can do it. What would that make you? A size -2?