Thread: To BE a Woman

To BE a Woman

Please forgive me I advance if I over generalize. I have been pondering this question for some time now and I would like to see your thoughts on it as well. All are welcome to answer but I really would like to see some GG responses as I think they are uniquely able to answer the question.

Over Generalization No. 1- Most TG’s tend to glamorize what it would be like to be their chosen gender. The thought process seems to be, “I’ll spend my days dressed to the nines, my makeup will always look perfect, men will desire me and women will envy me.” The day-to-day reality, at least as I understand it, is far from this. I base this conclusion on my own observations of over 60 years and over 40 years of that living with my wife. While by society’s standards she may not be a fashion model, to me she has been and always will be the most beautiful woman in the world. But I assure you, she is not always dressed to impress. Oh, her clothing is always appropriate, clean, in proper repair and so forth. And her life is far from one of leisure. She’s raised three kids, worked most of her life in unglamorous jobs, kept house, shopped for the family, and at one time ran her own children’s clothing business. All of this was done without complaint. Add to all of this, helping with homework, going to the kids school functions, sports activities, drama presentations, accompanying me to social functions to help further my career, etc. What I get out of all this is that she found her fulfillment from within. Her giving to others contributed to her own self-worth and self-value.

Overgeneralization No. 2- Most men find their fulfillment in defeating others. Mine’s bigger than yours. Mine is faster than yours. I have more than you. Isn’t that the essence of sports? Pitting oneself self against another with the express purpose of beating them? Competing in the workplace for superiority? Why is that? And why does success have to come at the expense of someone else’s failure? Get out of my way or I’ll run you over. Women, on the other hand, seem to find their success from within; contributing to the family welfare, keeping a warm and inviting environment for the husband and children, helping a neighbor or friend, contributing to the success of everyone around them. Even the Woman’s Revolution of the 70’s was not about being superior to men but becoming equal partners with them, asking for respect, value, and recognition for the contributions they were bring to the table.

Conclusions (for me)- Being a woman starts with being at peace with yourself; being satisfied with who you are but not necessarily complacent. Realizing that there is always room to grow, not at other people’s expense, but for their betterment as well. Women are unselfish givers of compliments and praise with no alternative notion of getting something in return. Even the act of putting on makeup is one of balancing the outside with the inside, so that others will find them approachable and welcoming. The creams and lotions she uses to pamper the skin show that she cares enough about herself to care about you as well. Women lift others up, not put them down. They find their success in helping others achieve their successes. She looks at herself for who she is, not who she beat.

So where does the clothing fit in all this? It certainly doesn’t “make” one a woman simply by wearing it. For me, it establishes an identity. It publicly shows others the values I embrace for myself. For me, I’m more comfortable in a skirt and blouse than I ever was in slacks and a dress shirt. The clothes and makeup strike a cord within that is very pleasant to me. Everything seems harmonious… but that’s me. But I’m content wearing just about anything. It’s really a state of mind. Maybe for you it is a physical sensation, and that’s fine. Maybe there are confusing thoughts’ going on inside and this is your way of exploring, and that’s good as well.

Summing it up- Being a woman is not about what she wears or what she’s accomplished. It’s about who she believes herself to be. She can be equally at ease in the workplace or in her home. She has nothing to prove to anyone but herself. She finds real joy in the accomplishment of those around her and has no need to compete with them. She is greatly rewarded in being recognized for what she has helped others to attain. She cherishes unsolicited compliments. She finds happiness in herself.

So how far off the mark am I? Am I far a field? Do I not “get it?” Am I close?
    Fulltime girl on the inside.
    Lipstick=confidence

[SIZE=4]Holly[/SIZE]

Aspiring Member

Good people are all alike.

>>Being a woman starts with being at peace with yourself; being satisfied with who you are but not necessarily complacent. Realizing that there is always room to grow, not at other people’s expense, but for their betterment as well.

Change "woman" to "good person" and you and I agree on "good people."

If to you it's important to put on the team outfit and face paint, so everyone can know who you are and where you stand, then so be it.

Me, I'm just a person working at getting through life without causing the world any more problems and fixing what little I can before my time here is over.

Most women, and men, I believe, are pretty much about the same thing with their lives; they don't make many waves. Too bad it's "the extremes" of any type that get the most attention.

But, life has to be that way. Ever have one hang nail and still have nine perfectly fine ones?

On No 1.... I realize that getting dressed to the 9's day in and day out would last exactually 3 days before reality would kick in and I'd start getting comphy and dress like a slob..

On No 2.... My wife always replys "I don't care if you won" when I come home after scoring the wining goal in ice hockey... Yeah wining isn't everything but its still better than loosing!!

I'm not a woman and never will be... I know that...
    Last edited by Karren H; 10-19-2009 at 01:22 PM.
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Amen to that Holly. It's all about who you are as a person and not what you are as a "thing".

Oh Karren, not sure I can go as far as that (scarry). Maybe the thread should be "you feel like a woman when..." A couple of weeks ago I went around town (or big City) knowing inside that I lookede good. That day everything worked, even my eye-liner! I felt so fantastic and so proud of myself.

And guess how many negative comments I got

Actually I didn't get any comments at all because I was so confident.

For the first time I felt I was accepted to be a woman and proud to be the woman I portrayed.

Sometimes it is so much fun
    I strut my stuff, I feel so proud,
    I need to shout, to scream out loud,
    I am Tricia I am she,
    I am who I want to be

http://tricia-dale.blogspot.com/

Pretty much right on Holly. Well said also.

I am sure there are a few here how if given tho opportunity would dress like June Cleaver every day for the rest of their lives (consider though that thy haven't been told to dress that way nor expected to since they could walk, so they have less time to get "over" it).

Then the whole "I just want to pass" thing comes up. You don't see many women dressed to the "nines" in daily contact. When you do (at least for me) my head snaps and I have to tell myself "Don't stare". Of course the same thing happens when I see a man dressed for cocktails at noon in the department store. Want to pass? Wear jeans and a plain top of some sort and ditch the heels. Wear a little makeup but don't over do it and put your hair in an easy to control style. Many here have an idealized picture of what the WANT women to look like. Maybe we are all prejudiced in that manner. I would hazard a guess that women have something similar that they want men to look like. Lower standards though, they would probably just like guys to be half presentable. One would wonder if the women dressed like we wanted them to, would this forum dwindle? I think there is a technical term about reflecting in yourself how you want others to be.

#2. I don't like losing. I can't imagine that women like it much either they just don't get so worked up over it (yet). I know it's all in how you play the game yadayada. But daily life is about winning. When things don't work out in my profession like I want, then I have lost and it makes me feel inadequate. I don't think that is a male quality. There are plenty of women in business and sports who are aiming at being the best. So I don't think it associated with XX. The idea that women should accept losing (read failure and being meek) has run it's course. I doubt the average woman would give up a promotion and the celebrity that goes with it just because it is the feminine thing to do.

You don't think women are competitive? When was the last time you heard a song about a guy whose GF is cheating where he destroys her car? (mostly because he kinda likes her car and he wouldn't want to mess up the paint). Guy songs are more like "That's Ok honey, go be with him, think about it and I'll be here waiting, waiting by the door with open arms, wearing your pantyhose and that little negligee I bought you that you never wore" (note...when done here find a melody and write that new country song).

Now after all that I have to say that deep down inside we are usually still guys. It is hard (unless you are really TS) to embrace all that is woman. Hell if it was easy don't you think women would embrace us wanting to play like them? At least that's the take my wife took. "Why would you want to be treated like that?"
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Aspiring Member
    For me being a woman brings an inner peice to me that I can't find as my male self. Point in case: I go bowling and throw a bad game. I used to get mad with myself , especially when I was bad and the team lost. Now with my female self I don't get nearly as upset , or care that much about winning or losing. I am working on trying to be calmer at work, but that is difficult since I cannot dress there. Also I work with mostly childish neanderthals. Let there be peace in my world. DyLen

So how far off the mark am I? Am I far a field? Do I not “get it?” Am I close?
    You would be very close to the mark if you posted this in the TG forum below, not the crossdresser's forum.

All the Best,

Skirtsuit, proud crossdresser & clothing collector

Quote Originally Posted by maryklinden View Post
    Change "woman" to "good person" and you and I agree on "good people..." Most women, and men, I believe, are pretty much about the same thing with their lives; they don't make many waves. Too bad it's "the extremes" of any type that get the most attention...
    That's kind of the point I was making, Mary. It just seems to me that more males have a lot more work ahead of them to get to that point than women do (again I apologize of the over generalization). Maybe it is just that men and women have very different approaches to life. Men want to conquer it and women want to experience it.

Quote Originally Posted by Karren Hutton View Post
    I'm not a woman and never will be... I know that...
    Karen I envy you your confidence in your self identity.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorileah View Post
    ...You don't think women are competitive?...
    I don't think woman, by their nature are competitive in the same way men are. Men are more often out to prove something whereas women are more about accomplishing something (it makes sense in my head ). Women can most certainly become aggressive if they feel that their family or friends are being threatened. Men become aggressive to prove a point.

Thank you all for your thoughts. I look forward to reading more.
    Fulltime girl on the inside.
    Lipstick=confidence

[SIZE=4]Holly[/SIZE]

Competitive women?

I'm sure there are, but drama is more of the young women's thing. (I have daughters too!)

I think Holly is talking about the women she looks up to in life. I know the important women in my life are the ones I wanted to role model after. My mother and grandmother. They were "plain" mountain women, loving, caring, supportive, non-competitive and very inclusive in their dealings with others. The males I knew were good men, but they also did their manly things which I had no desire to do or be like. Hard, commanding, tough mountain men. That had a place, but it wasn't me.
    Joni

"Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free" Bob Dylan

To sum up your over-generalizing: men are selfish egotistical jerks, women are unselfish & giving, ALWAYS putting others before themselves. There are plenty of men who aren't that way, and plenty of women who are NOT saints. The more we generalize about a group of people, the further we get from reality. As a GG once said to me:"there's no such thing as 'lady-like' " ( meaning it's not innate )

"Guy songs are more like "That's Ok honey, go be with him, think about it and I'll be here waiting, waiting by the door with open arms, wearing your pantyhose and that little negligee I bought you that you never wore" (note...when done here find a melody and write that new country song)." "
    Yeah, write the song and go pitch it in Nashville. I'm sure they won't look at you funny...
    Last edited by Fab Karen; 10-19-2009 at 07:12 PM.
    [SIZE="3"]Gender is a state of mind[/SIZE]
    LGBTQ PRIDE
    As of Oct. 5th, go here to see my pics:http://www.flickr.com/people/fab_karen/
    A Yankee Doodle T-Girl
    proud of my President