Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lifestyle or Hobby?

Lifestyle or Hobby?

[SIZE="4"]I am a cross dresser and proud of it![/SIZE]
    For me cross dressing is a life style, a choice, a way of life.
    For me playing with trains, growing roses, those are hobbies.

Every now and then, "Hobby" pops up
    I have seen this mentioned more than once in responses in the forum. I suppose it all depends on individual comfort zones etc. but when I see it I have to pause and ? the validity of the posted response.

Does anyone else feel like this?
    A Rose by any other name.....[SIZE="2"][/SIZE]

Love Rebecca Jayne

Banned Read only
    Western Upstate NY, on a Lake Ontario city
    An urge, obsession, a part of my life. Not a hobby or lifestyle.

Just finding my way.... StaceyJane's Avatar
    I agree with you. I have grow to accept crossdressing as part of who I am. It's certainatly all of who I am but an important part.
    I do understand if someone says it's a hobby. If you crossdress just for fun I guess it is a hobby.
    Stacey

I'm not a doctor, I just play one on TV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wob7zmvVTb8

[SIZE="2"]Hi Rebecca;
    For me it would also be a lifestyle. Like you, I think of hobbies as scrap booking, train sets, etc.........OMG would shopping be a hoddy???
    [/SIZE]

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar

I agree, Megan.

Quote Originally Posted by Megan70 View Post
    An urge, obsession, a part of my life. Not a hobby or lifestyle.
    And if, or when, it STOPS being a FUN obsession, I'll STOP CDing!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Luv doing girl stuff CherylFlint's Avatar
    Just a part of me. A fun part, I might add.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca Jayne View Post
    [SIZE="4"]I am a cross dresser and proud of it![/SIZE]
    For me cross dressing is a life style, a choice, a way of life.
    Every now and then, "Hobby" pops up
    I suppose it all depends on individual comfort zones etc. but when I see it I have to pause and ? the validity of the posted response.
    Does anyone else feel like this?
    I have always felt this way, I consider a hobby as something fun, but something I could walk away from, and not look back. That does not fit the description of the way I feel about dressing. Don't get me wrong, I think it's fun, but I can't walk away from it. I never gave up a hobby that left me so depressed to the point of immobility, but not dressing does that to me.
    Tina

I'm not with you really: For me its more than both of those options! If I couldn't do it I'd wither, I'd cease to be who I am. It's more fundamental than a simple endulgence or choice.
    Amanda x
    So far in the closet, I've got one foot in Narnia!

Never do anything that seemed a good idea at the time!

Today I am the youngest I'm ever going to be!

add me and message amanda.shaft@hotmail.co.uk

http://amandashaft.hi5.com

Or a Sport? To me its a lifestyle that mimics both a hobby and a sport... Like a Spobby or a Hort? But then again I think hockey is a lifestyle too!!

Call it what you like... I'm not into putting labels on it.... Ok maybe I'd just call it FUN!!
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

For me its a way of expressing my feelings on the inside. Just as I play music as an emotional outlet, I wear clothing of the opposite gender for the same reasons. I can't really call that a hobby, but rather self-expression.

For me, the words "lifestyle" or "hobby" intone a choice of some sort. It is not a choice for me, it is who I am.

Red face

I agree that crossdressing is a life style for most of us. You can't walk away from it anytime you went. I know from the experiences I've had during my 50-plus years of living this way that stopping is not an option for me.

I am 100% totally in agreement with you, Rebecca Jayne. That is exactly the way I feel. This is not a hobby. This is real life.

JoAnne Wheeler
    "I'm an all American Bluegrass Girl and Proud As I Can Be"

creating self-roadblocks
    Quote Originally Posted by Karren Hutton View Post
    Or a Sport? To me its a lifestyle that mimics both a hobby and a sport... Like a Spobby or a Hort? But then again I think hockey is a lifestyle too!!

Call it what you like... I'm not into putting labels on it.... Ok maybe I'd just call it FUN!!
    I was going to post something about the definition of "hobby" but Karren's post more than sums up what I feel about it. For me it's both...and more.

-Rachael

I guess it's a hobby in the way that some people's hobby is to go to church on Sundays.
    And so we go, on with our lives...
    We know the Truth, but prefer Lies.
    Lies are simple, simple is Bliss.
    Why go against tradition, when we can admit defeat,
    Live in Decline, be the victim of our own design?

Quote Originally Posted by Janine cd View Post
    I agree that crossdressing is a life style for most of us. You can't walk away from it anytime you went. I know from the experiences I've had during my 50-plus years of living this way that stopping is not an option for me.
    You should try to quit ice hockey!! Lol.
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

A creative, self expressive HOBBY for me.
    Mary

Neither. It's just one of the many things I enjoy doing.

Banned Read only
    "Upstate" NY USA.... Site of the first crash of the "Vin Fiz"
    I find that I often have little in common with those who call their CDing a "hobby" etc.

Building model aircrraf or knitting is a hobby. To me, my GD/TGism is part of who/what I am and is basiic as me being human.
    Would one call eating or breathing a hobby?

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    It's not a hobby although there are some similarities in the desire to gain more knowledge and higher levels of skill. But my basement has remnants of hobbies and my crossdressing hasn't gone there. In fact, I can do a hobby while crossdressed, but it's not necessary. It's not a lifestyle either, possibly because a lifestyle can change and may be like choosing to live in the suburbs rather than in town or going to a blues club instead of the opera. No, it's more deeply seated than that, a much deeper part of my life. It's something I wake up with every day and it's still there when I nod off at night, with me all the time. Sometimes it's buried a little deeper than others, but it hasn't gone away in a long time now.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

I would call mine more of a hobby because I dress for the look and feeling, but I only do it so often like building a model train or car. I would not call my dressing a lifestyle because I wouldn't want to do it every day because I love being male and I want to remain my gender. Since I want nothing to do with actually being female except for dressing like one; then for me it is a hobby to dress and look female without having to be female.

Hannah~~

Quote Originally Posted by "Mary" View Post
    A creative, self expressive HOBBY for me.
    Ditto.

Call it what ever you like too it's all good. It's me It's who I am. Its my deep inside feelings of my soul and passion. I turned back once from this I'll never do it agian.

No crossdressing is not a hobby for me, it's a part of me, who I am, and I simply love it!

I agree with you, Rebecca. It is no hobby for me. I, too have noticed the use of the word "hobby" and it gets my attention.

Lifestyle is an interesting word for cross dressing. I have never really thought about it that way. When you say lifestyle you are putting dressing in a broader context of your entire daily life. It takes dressing out of the realm of an event and puts it into the same level of existence as working, socializing or recreating. All these are part of who I am and I like to think of dressing in just that way. So, thank you for using that word; I like it.
    TG is who I am; CD is something I do.

My CD Blog Site