Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A big dilema

A big dilema

So One of my daughters is getting married soon. She is living with the young man at this time and they seem very happy.

The problem is.... she has brought up to my wife that he has dressed up in her clothes a couple of times (just being funny). But the couple of times seems to be that he tried on all her dresses each time, with underwear to suit.

I have no issue with him xdressing, heck I do. But, if it is more than just kidding around then I think he should tell her up front instead of years down the road like I did. It can be quite the mess then. And of course since my wife hates it and will leave me next time she sees any proof, she is very concerned.

So how do I discuss this with out outing myself to them and making things worse with wife , but how do I let it go since she is my daughter.

Yes I did hide it from my wife for 20+ yrs and am now have many deep problems over it. I just don't want her to go through what my wife is going through. Yet if she is okay with it then I will be supportive.

any way I need/want to know what you girls think.
    Stephenie

Gold Member
    Since she has already brought up the issue with your wife, just do your fatherly duties and talk about it with your daughter. You don't have to out yourself at this point. Just have her do the talking and follow up on any concerns she has in her relationship. I don't have any children myself, so what I'm saying is not out of any experience. It's just how I believe I might handle just such a situation. You can do it.

Banned Read only
    Think how you would feel if you were in his situation, it seems as though you are both the same? I might be over-simplifying it though.

Yes, hiding it must be a problem and stress in the long run but equally I wouldn't like to be forced to come out to your daughter if I was in his shoes.

It might be that in 10 years he tells her and their marriage is stronger for those 10 years and if she knew now she might not be able to deal with it?

Sorry you have been put in this position, it must be very stressful

Gold Member
    This is a tough one. It might be a good idea to take the future son in law
    out for lunch, with out anybody else knowing. Thier ask him directly if he
    is into any type of C D. Thier, one on one, you might be able to open up a
    conversation about his wants and desires. Don't come on to strong, he will
    denie everything and get defence addatued. You might then mention that
    at one time you also would try on your wife's clothes as a lark or something.
    You don't have to give up all your secrets, unless the conversation goes
    that direction. Good luck with this; I believe you are in a tuff spot with your
    wife on one side, and your life on the other. Rader

Aspiring Member

Hypocrite.

>>Yes I did hide it from my wife for 20+ yrs and am now have many deep problems over it. I just don't want her to go through what my wife is going through. Yet if she is okay with it then I will be supportive.

any way I need/want to know what you girls think.

What do I think?

I think you're a hypocrite:

"A person who professes beliefs and opinions that he or she does not hold in order to conceal his or her real feelings or motives"

You can figure out the rest.

Mary,

Yes, I do feel like a hypocrite. which makes it even harder to decide how to handle this. I choose to not say any thing to my wife before getting married and then years later when I felt tha i could no longer hide it I told her and now my marrage will probably not last much longer.

But knowing what I know, how can I ignore what my daughter may be headed for. What kind of parent would that make me.

Just because I made the wrong choice does it mean that I can not doing any thing now to help my daughter?
    Stephenie

Aspiring Member

To do or not to do?

>>Just because I made the wrong choice does it mean that I can not doing any thing now to help my daughter?

I have no idea what a hypocrite "feels" like - though I suspect someone who behaves hypocritically responds to hot and cold just like anyone else.

OK, I'll do page one of your homework:

You pose your question as if there's some problem to be resolved. Is there? Is it so hard to just say to your daughter,

"Say, uh, do you think there might be more to this dressing up stuff? And, if there was, how would you feel about it?"

She may say, "Well, gee Dad, you do it..."

Or, she may say, "What? No. He's just messing around."

Or, she may say, "Fine by me if he does. He just needs to stay out of my makeup!"

Or, she may say, "Ohhhhhh h******llll nooooo!"

Don't be a jerk and over-think this while time passes. Talk to her like she's a human being and as if you cared to cover some basic ground before she makes a long-term commitment.

You don't have to fess up about anything. But, if you give a rat's backside, speak your mind about your concerns, DAD.

Page 2.. Up to you.

I would casually bring it up to him when you are alone. You don't have to out yourself but mention that you heard something and drop statements like about how many people do it. Don't act concerned and don't accuse him. He will most likely get defensive but if you tell him something like most men have tried on womens clothing to see if they feel different then this should put a little ease in the conversation. He might ask if you have done it which could if not answered right cause some complications but it is all up to you.
    Never thought I'd let a rumor ruin my moon light, well somebody told me you had a boyfriend that looked like a girlfriend that i had in February of last year.

-The Killers

It's a tough situation you find yourself in, Stephenie.

My daughter is getting married next year, so I think I can place myself in your shoes, a little.

I doubt he was just kidding around. Kidding around is usually a one time deal, not a full dressup session.

I would have to take my daughter aside and give her the benefit of my knowledge. And not just about CDing, but TG and TS.

At this point, you don't really have to out yourself. Being older, wiser and knowledgeable should be sufficient. If not, then you may have to out yourself.

You'd have to make her promise not to repeat anything she heard from you to your wife. And tell her why.

I know it's not easy to out yourself to your daughter, but it's better than having her go through what your wife has gone through. I know I love my daughter way to much to let that happen.

Hopefully you can teach your daughter enough that she can accept this part of her fiance. If she can't, then it's best to find that out before the wedding takes place. Divorce is a hard thing on some.
    DonnaT

Get your daughter aside without you wife and discuss your future son in laws dressing. If it bothers her have her seek counciling with him before the marriage. If it is a problem now it can get real serious later especially if thier are children. If it doesn't bother her it may be an out for you to tell her about your cd'ing. Something you can both keep from your wife. At our later ages anyone that we can come out to that is understanding is great. I keep trying with most women I know. Not men, they don't seem to be understanding.

I'd talk to your wife first, let her know that you know she is having a hard time dealing with you dressing, but you don't want your daughter to go through the same thing, I'm sure she cant argue that. So she can talk to your daughter about it. Maybe have your daughter just mention it to him and give him the opportunity to come out to her about it.

May not work, he may be to embarrassed, but at least she gave him the chance.

Seems to me the kid is lightyears ahead of you, he's dressing up in her clothes, not behind her back...IMO bringing it up with him is a terrible idea, he'll be pissed that his fiance told her mother who told you and by the time the whole thing blows over you'll probably be outed in front of them all. I'd keep my peace if I were you....

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar

Best advice I've seen so far!

Quote Originally Posted by windycissy View Post
    Seems to me the kid is lightyears ahead of you, he's dressing up in her clothes, not behind her back...IMO bringing it up with him is a terrible idea, he'll be pissed that his fiance told her mother who told you and by the time the whole thing blows over you'll probably be outed in front of them all. I'd keep my peace if I were you....
    Unless you're ready to come out of the closet, Steph, and sounds like u AREN'T, discussions with ANYONE about CDing r a red flag!

Maybe u should go out with the future son in law, to get to know each other, and have a few drinks.
    But, be prepared NOT to discuss CDing at all!

Maybe if you're getting on well after a few toddies, u MITE tell a short story about your "buddy" who prepared for Halloween, by trying on some of his wife's clothes! Then, SHUT UP! If he bites, ask him some other CASUAL questions! If he doesn't, LET IT GO!
    If for some reason, he spills his guts, JUST LISTEN!

That's what I would do, if I found out my daughter's new husband wore her things!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Is your Daughter an Adult? Whatever happens is between her and him! Even though you might be a concerned parent, you need to keep your nose out of it!

If you interfere, your Daughter and soon to be Son-in-Law will resent you, or even worse. Also, I'm absolutely certain if you asked your wife....she wouldn't want you to interfere either.

Much as you might want her to be "Daddy's little Girl," this is now a woman and she will make her own decisions.

Peace and Love, Joanie

The power of the internet

If you want to keep your cd removed from this dilemma, find a news story, like that Ga. Teen kick out of school, and bring it up casually and see how your daughter responds.

If she bites pull her in, if she nibbles give her a little line, and if she isn't even close change the subject.
    A Rose by any other name.....[SIZE="2"][/SIZE]

Love Rebecca Jayne

Complex Lolita...
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephenie
    The problem is.... she has brought up to my wife that he has dressed up in her clothes a couple of times (just being funny). But the couple of times seems to be that he tried on all her dresses each time, with underwear to suit.

Yes I did hide it from my wife for 20+ yrs and am now have many deep problems over it. I just don't want her to go through what my wife is going through. Yet if she is okay with it then I will be supportive.

[SIZE="2"]What can be done to break down the barriers for these unsympathetic women? How about they get a book, take a stroll among the flowers on this site, dress as a man, watch Monty Python (laugh, for crying out loud!) – they should do something that will open their eyes to the fact that all people are different, special, and unique! A man dressing up in his fiancée’s clothes (for a joke or not) is not a big problem in the lexicon of truly serious problems a couple may face. Call it a test of love – if she truly loves the young man, she should embrace all of his eccentricities. Your daughter should try on all of his clothes and see how he likes it – from the sound of it, they’re the same size! What if he brings up the “problem” of her wearing his clothes? What would your un-enlightened wife think about that scenario? I feel an epiphany coming for someone in your family, and I'm sure another thread will soon follow… [/SIZE]
    Last edited by Frédérique; 10-26-2009 at 08:15 PM. Reason: A man, a male, a boy --well, you asked...

I don't think you should out yourself just yet, but you should have a frank disscussion with your daughter. You owe her that, you don't need to delve deeply into her feelings or yours about CDing, just give her some food for thought, and let her contemplate. She's a big girl and at some point we have to trust the judgement of our children, as hard as it is to accept.

Your daughter has a right to know her boyfriend's motivations.

I see two scenario's 1) Keep your nose out of it. 2) you are being baited to be drawn out. Don't fall for it.

Loves ordinary miracles SuzanneBender's Avatar
    Advice from a sister with four kids two of them girls one of them with a betrothed. Be Dad! Talk with her about it, but only after you talk with your wife. Come up with a way to handle this that you both agree upon. You owe her a discourse on this issue. The least it does is let her know that you care and it may also set the ground work for her and your future son in law to be open about this in the future if it comes to that. No need to fess up ut you unless you and your wife want to take this opportunity to let her know.
    See yourself as a soul with a body not a body with a soul" Dr. Wayne Dyer

Personally........ I wouldn't let one of those "perverts" near my daughter!!! but that's just me!!
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Your daughter is an adult and hasn't asked for your opinion so maybe you should mind your own business.
    I don't know all the specifics about your life but seeing how your marriage is shaky have you thought about coming out yourself? By doing so, you would no doubt generate conservations about the the young mans dressing up.

Cara

Thanks everyone,

There is a lot to thinks about here.
    Stephenie

I would have a talk with him!!

It obviously struck a nerve with your daughter to tell your wife TMI.So,I would set up a one on one and just tell him you heard,through your wife,etc. And then say that lots of people dress and that it can cause problems if not talked over properly.Suggest that he talk this out with your daughter asap .You can say that you have no problem with it but you hate to see it blow up for your little girl....That way,you haven't outed yourself,shown you are of open mind,and concerned for their happiness together. To do nothing is being a hypocrite in my book.

Methinks your daughter already has an idea of what is going on. Afterall, her beloved tried on all of her clothes. A skirt or a bra or a dress is fooling around. Trying on and modeling more than that is not. As for talking to either your daughter or your future son-in-law, I would hesitate to do so since she spoke to your wife and not you. Your daughter may be fine with the dressing and your wife has put a different spin on it because of her dislike.
    In short, I would tread lightly for the time being.
    Sherrie Lynn Pall

Sometimes I make sense and that frightens me.

Please don't let me be the last post on this thread