Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Air Travel a problem with TSA

Is Air Travel a problem with TSA

Is getting thru TSA going to be a problem

--------------------------------------------------------------------------I have flown 3-4 times before but I had always went thru TSA security as male then changed to femme once either on the plane or in the terminals (Memphs, Dallas. Chicago). I was all ready for a big trip from the midwest to Boston this time through TSA in dress or skirt then on 2 planes, rental car, hotel and dinner.

Kimberly seems to travel with such ease I had finally decided to do it. But now I hear TSA is checiking ID (rumor?) for gender correctness. TRUE?
    Will I now need femme ID? How do I get that? Do I just risk it? What can they do?

Would it be better to just start out in jeans and switch to a skirt on the plane?
    Or has TSA ended flying pretty altogether?.

And If I should go anyway, any opinion on outfit? jeans, slacks or skirt?
    DSC_4235 jeans small.jpg

boots small.jpg

Zipper Small.jpg

Skirt small.jpg

Brown Small.jpg

Barb123
    Last edited by Barb123; 10-29-2009 at 10:54 AM. Reason: rearrange phots

I travel alot for business and..

I'm still not at a point where I feel comfortable being in fem mode and attempting to pass through the TSA security screening process. I often take with me all of the things required to transform and am periodically subjected to secondary screening which is about as much as I'm prepared to bear in terms of embarassment at this point. Perhaps I'm just too nervous at this rather early stage.

Hard to know about the photo and matching-seems that TSA scrutinizes the license closer now-watching for forged examples. I read sometime back on a different forum a concern whether the metal garter tabs on a girdle might trigger the walk through passage-better wear pantyhose when flying! more power to you. helenr

Is it just me or......... Carroll's Avatar
    Call your local TSA office, or visit them at the airport before you travel
    Drumming, My other hobby

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar

Be VERY CAREFUL when flying en fem, girls!

There r COUNTLESS cases of terrorists trying to get on planes dressed as women!

Maybe it's easier to hide their bombs under dresses!?
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Quote Originally Posted by PetiteTonya View Post
    I'm still not at a point where I feel comfortable being in fem mode and attempting to pass through the TSA security screening process. I often take with me all of the things required to transform and am periodically subjected to secondary screening which is about as much as I'm prepared to bear in terms of embarassment at this point. Perhaps I'm just too nervous at this rather early stage.
    Ditto. I've taken everything including forms in my carry-on and gotten a few chuckles when they did the extra bag search, but I just smiled and no one said anything. I'm considering wearing a bra through next time I travel now that it's cold again, but I still don't think I'd do much more than that. (Although panties/hose are a given )

Too bad that it seems things are getting more difficult in this area for us rather than easier...

VS Fan

:) Post-Op Hippie Chick CharleneT's Avatar
    If you do a search on this and Kim's name you'll find she went thru with the new system and all was fine. They really are not trying to ferret out CD/TG folks .... they do not care. Of all things I would not try, changing after you get on the plane is high on the list. Now that could/would cause suspicions !
    There is a road—no simple highway—between the dawn and the dark of night.
    And if you go no one may follow. That path is for your steps alone.

"I'm considering wearing a bra through next time I travel..."

Just dont let the underwires set offthe metal detector!

As far as I know they only want to confirm through photo ID that you are the person who made the reservation, asking for date of birth and gender. If your ID is in male form and that is how you made the ticket, then you are OK, even if you are dressed as a woman. A good friend of mine, Megan, from southern California recently flew up to San Francisco and had no problems at all. TXKimberley does it all the time. So, if you have the courage and confidence then by all means do it when you can. Good luck.

Addicted To Lipstick donnatracey's Avatar
    "Of all things I would not try, changing after you get on the plane is high on the list. Now that could/would cause suspicions !"

I agree....plus not sure why anyone would want to do that in the first place. Let's face it the "changing areas" are not very spacious..... And you certainly would attract attention upon returning to your seat!

Barb mentioned simply changing from jeans to skirt on the plane, not performing a complete transition, which I assume she would have done before checking in. I can't see that that would be such a big deal, although I would be inclined to wear a skirt in the first place if that's what I wanted to travel in.

This has been discussed several times on the forum, and I've read the TSA regs carefully (although not lately). Getting through security en femme per se doesn't worry me, even if they single me out for closer inspection. I'm not doing anything illegal, and it's still a free country. But I did have two concerns:

• Given their rules about gels and liquids, I was worried about wearing or carrying on silicone breast forms. According to the regs, though, forms are specifically allowed. I think I'd be more comfortable wearing them than sending them through the x-ray machine in my carry-on bag.
    • After that young GG was ousted from the plane last year by stewardesses cuz her skirt was too short, I might have to buy something just to fly in. I mean, I saw the girl's photo and her skirt wasn't much shorter than the ones I usually wear, tramp that I am!

I have mulled over changing in a restroom after going through security. But then I figured, if I have enough nerve to board a crowded plane and waltz through some distant airport en femme, going through security seems almost anti-climactic.

So the only hurdle I have yet to resolve is how to get out of town in a skirt. After that I figure I'm golden. The thing is, I nearly always see someone I know every time I'm at the airport, so that pretty much rules out me showing up as a gurl. The option of transforming (not just changing) on the plane did occur to me, but I can definitely see the potential of that drawing all sorts of unwanted attention. Even the idea of changing during a layover strikes me as potentially problematic -- "Um, let's see ma'am, you boarded in Amarillo as Mr. _____, and now you're boarding as Ms. _____?".

Dammit, I wanna do it the way Kim does *, start to finish -- after all, half the fun would be putting myself in a there's-no-turning-back-now situation!

* [SIZE=2]I can remember back when Kim swore she could never fly enfemme, and look how far she's come. Now she gets mad when she has to fly guy.[/SIZE]
    Last edited by sherri; 10-29-2009 at 05:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbara918 View Post
    "I'm considering wearing a bra through next time I travel..."

Just dont let the underwires set offthe metal detector!

They don't do they?? Surely not... you're messing with me right?

LOL...

right??

VS Fan

This topic has been discussed several times.
    As mentioned before, you should not have any problems with the TSA while dressed in femme. They are well aware and trained to be professional when dealing with transgendered passengers.
    As long as the information on your ID (i.e. DOB, gender, address, name, etc, etc, etc.) matches the information on your ticket, you're good to go. They don't care what the picture is on your ID, all they do is make sure you are who you are.

I've flown in femme before using my male driver ID and I didn't have any problems whatsoever. I was nervous, but nervous about my makeup melting because I was sweating due to the heat and humidy.
    I just went through security like I've done it hundreds of times before and there was nothing to it.

With regards to bras, remember, there are hundreds of thousands of women wearing bras with underwires who are constantly going through metal detectors and rarely do they get buzzed, if so, big deal. Security will just wave the hand detector and they'll know what's giving off the signal. I'm sure women aren't really thinking about not wearing a bra or wearing a bra without underwires, for fear of being buzzed, so why should you?

So pack your bags and go out and have a nice flight.
    Once you do it, you'll realize that you can do anything.

Hugs!
    Last edited by joann07; 10-29-2009 at 10:59 PM.
    JoAnn

I love to see a beautiful woman in a nice dress, but then again, I also want to wear that dress.

Loves ordinary miracles SuzanneBender's Avatar
    Several of the girls at the SCC flew to Atlanta and some even flew internationally.

I personally have no desire to fly en femme. I hate flying enough en drab. I think en femme would make that experience even more exasperating.
    1. The cute TSA personnel never do the searches and I know that a 5'11" gal in 3" heels is going to get searched. Especially when that under wire bra sets off the alarm.
    2. I know I would get a seat next to the Chatty Kathy or Ken that wants to pull out the holy water and chicken bones and cure me of this wonderful affliction called cross dressing that I love.
    3. I find it frustrating enough running through the airport to only find that my connection has already departed. It would be infuriating sprint through three terminals and past 87 gates in heels only to find that my plane is gone.
    4. I enjoy messing with my row mates on the plane by pulling out Vogue and Marie Claire reading them, tabbing them and make notes on things I would like to buy. It wouldn't have the same shock effect if I was doing it en femme.
    5. I already look like a sherpa for a small climbing expedition with all the stuff that I have to lug through the airport for work. I am afraid the purse would be the straw that breaks the well dressed femme camel's back.

As you can tell I just love modern airline travel. I think I would rather dress en femme for my next root canal.
    See yourself as a soul with a body not a body with a soul" Dr. Wayne Dyer

Folks,

Joann and I say this over and over and over . . . LOL

Traveling by aircraft "dressed" is not a problem. I've done it dozens of times, and three or four times since the new rules about recording the gender were put in to place. The new rules are not designed to keep you from flying. They do not compare the gender on your ID to the gender you are presenting as and then reject you. The new rules are fairly simple - they now record or document the gender. In the Airlines database that recorded the fact that John Doe flew from A to Z, it records the fact that John Doe was male. That's it. That's all. The other new thing is that the name on your ID must match the name on your ticket. In other words, if your ID says your name is William, your ticket better also say William and NOT Bill or Will.

If you REALLY want to fly femme, I'll make a few recommendations concerning things you may not be used to considering even if you travel a lot as a male.
    If you are worried about family or neighbors seeing you leave the house, you might want to consider getting a cheap hotel the night before you fly. That way you can get ready and leave for the airport with out worrying about any one seeing you.
    Do not offer explanations to the airline or TSA folks about your being TG unless they ask you about it - and they wont. The fact that you are TG is readily apparent and doesn't require specific declarations from you. You do everything just like you would in boy mode, you show them your ID, they look hard at you and then send you on your way.
    Do not tell them you are wearing breast forms or ask if they are all right. They don't need to know, and they don't want to know. There is nothing wrong with wearing them through, they do not have any magic means of telling that you are wearing them, and you are not going to be asked about them.
    Remember that much of your makeup is going to consist of Gels and Liquids and are subject to the same limitations of all gels and liquids. Your are only allowed to carry so much, it must be in small sizes, and must all fit in one 1 quart zip lock bag that is sent through the Xray separately. I've seen countless women devastated and mad as hell when they were forced to throw away expensive makeups and perfumes.
    Remember that all of that pretty jewelry we all like to wear is metal and needs to come off before you go through the magnetometer.
    Remember that your shoes have to come off through security. If you are wearing 4 inch heels with ankle straps, your going to be balancing on them in the security line trying to get them off and on again.
    If you don't wear heels often, you might not want to start on your airline adventure. Once your locked in to the system is the wrong time to discover that you just aren't up to wearing them for 10 hours. The same goes for new shoes - I never wear a pair of shoes on an airline trip that I haven't already worn and know for certain that I can tolerate wearing them for a lot of walking on a long day. your airline adventure is not the time to try your new shoes out.
    Most major airports (not all) have "Family" or "Special needs" bathrooms. Some have them along side every pair of men and womens bathrooms, and some only have one or two of them in the entire airport. I've been to some airports where these gender neutral bathrooms exist but are always occupied or locked. It sounds trivial sitting here reading about it in the comfort of your home, but it can be a major problem when you really have to go to the bathroom but are scared to use the only options available to you when a gender neutral bathroom can't be found.
    To get through it all, you have to accept one thing that may be hard for a lot of us - you must be willing to accept the fact that some people are going to know you are a cross dresser. If you can not tolerate this idea, do not do it. Do not do it if your absolutely depending on passing and not being read, and are going to crumble the first time someone makes it clear that they know what you are. The airline and the TSA rep are going to see your male ID, then see the way you are dressed, and even if you are 100% passable they are going to know that you are a cross dresser. For some of us that have spent so many years desperately trying to keep anyone from knowing this, it can be a big hurdle to over come. Just remember that you don't know the girl at the airline counter, and you don't know the TSA rep, and it isn't going to make the smallest difference in your life if these strangers know that John Doe is a cross dresser.
    I've talked to other Tgirls that have the same problem I do - over heating. You are going to be wearing a wig, makeup, maybe nylons, and if this is the first time you travel by air, you are going to be a nervous wreck - you ARE going to be HOT. I carry something with me to fan myself, be it a folded paper or an envelope. Early on when I first started traveling this way, I would go right from security to the special needs bathroom, take my wig off, and use a paper towel to dry my soaking wet head. LOL

Try and remember to smile - this is important. If you look terrified and act furtive, you ARE going to be noticed. There's not much point to doing it if you aren't going to enjoy it, so smile!

I really can't think of much else to add!

Exclamation

If you are traveling from Denver Airport you may be unfortunately selected for their new full body scanner that can discern a mole on your private parts!! I find this body scan a complete violation of privacy and it will completely reveal you breast forms in full color. I understand that if you are selected for this new scanner and you refuse, you will not be allowed to board the plane.

Sorry to be a downer, but this thing really exists in Denver and I have been subjected to it. Because I am just a Gender Queer, it doesn't matter since I don't wear breast forms, however I believe it is a complete violation of privacy that needs to stop. TSA is going too FAR!!!
    You will become stronger in the ways of the Pink Fog. May the Pink Fog guide you and be with you now and forever.

Addicted To Lipstick donnatracey's Avatar
    Jamie, can we assume that other airports will be adding this equipment over time?.....Not good news then.....

I sure hope not. I was singled-out for the full-cavity full body scanner because I had a one-way ticket from Denver to OC. That will certainly trigger you for the full body scan. I saw a newspiece on the national news several months ago about the resolution of this scanner and the invastion of privacy. They told me to remove the bubble gum wrapper from my right pocket. That is scary!!

Quote Originally Posted by donnatracey View Post
    Jamie, can we assume that other airports will be adding this equipment over time?.....Not good news then.....
    You will become stronger in the ways of the Pink Fog. May the Pink Fog guide you and be with you now and forever.

I don't go out dressed, but the advice from Kimberly seems to be VERY well thought out. Thanks!

Although it is needed, you may find it more comfortable to call the TSA (i.e., Tote Stacking Agents) ahead of time simply for peace of mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie001 View Post
    I sure hope not. I was singled-out for the full-cavity full body scanner because I had a one-way ticket from Denver to OC. That will certainly trigger you for the full body scan. I saw a newspiece on the national news several months ago about the resolution of this scanner and the invastion of privacy. They told me to remove the bubble gum wrapper from my right pocket. That is scary!!
    OK, I have to ask - just WHY is it scary? Is there some reason to be afraid that they can see a mole on you? is there some reason to be afraid that they can see a gum wrapper in your pocket? I'm all for that technology because it will ultimately mean we don't have to take off our coats, shoes, etc, and so will result in easier travel. Why would I could care that someone can see the mole on my rear end?

Hmmmm. Maybe I should add a 'traveling en-femme' forum on my site. It might have general information, tips and latest info. Would that be a help?

My site is findatgirl.com. It's non commercial. Free. A resources oriented site.

Aspiring Member
    This full body scan may be an invasion of privacy but if it stops the next hijacking, it's OK with me. Unfortunately, these are the decisions we are faced with.
    As was said before, the TSA's goal is not to weed out CDs but to weed out the hijackers. We all wish they had a magic wand to see where the threats are coming from and to only search the bad guys, but they don't so it would seem that the next best thing is to search everybody.

SheriM

:) Post-Op Hippie Chick CharleneT's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TxKimberly View Post

. . . .
    I really can't think of much else to add!
    I think you covered it ALL very very well (again) !!
    There is a road—no simple highway—between the dawn and the dark of night.
    And if you go no one may follow. That path is for your steps alone.

Because it is a complete invasion of privacy. That is what the new report that aired several months ago was about. It products full color pictures and eliminates the clothing! That is scary. Jamie

Quote Originally Posted by TxKimberly View Post
    OK, I have to ask - just WHY is it scary? Is there some reason to be afraid that they can see a mole on you? is there some reason to be afraid that they can see a gum wrapper in your pocket? I'm all for that technology because it will ultimately mean we don't have to take off our coats, shoes, etc, and so will result in easier travel. Why would I could care that someone can see the mole on my rear end?

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie001 View Post
    Because it is a complete invasion of privacy. That is what the new report that aired several months ago was about. It products full color pictures and eliminates the clothing! That is scary. Jamie
    That will save me money on photo shoots then. You are photographed 20 times a day when you go somewhere. Your car if it has lo-jack or GPS can be tracked. Your house is on Google Earth. Everytime you run your credit card they know where you are and where you have been. You post anything online (yes even here) and they can find out who you are. I even had a spam Email to Lori addressed to my real name and address! "they" work real hard to make sure that everything I have is covered and now you worry that they want to see what they want covered? I guess the first time they have me strip in public I'll be embarrassed but after that it won't be no big deal. Just think, airline safety would improve if everyone flew nude. Makes the crying baby behind you seem tame doesn't it?
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,