Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Crossdressers and Science Fiction

Just an average girl Carole Cross's Avatar
    I am also a Sci-fi fan and I love all the Star trek series and Starwars. I used to read a lot of books when I was younger, such as HG wells, Arthur C Clarke and other less well known authors. I did try to write a story myself, but never finished it, if I have time in the future, after my transition, I may try again.
    living the dream

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    The ones I remember have been mentioned; "Well of Souls" by Chalker and "Steel Beach" by Varley, but I'm still on the lookout for more. Norman Spinrad was always a favorite of mine, "Void Captain's Tale" and "Saturday's Child" come to mind where he addresses gender and sex, but without the change part.

Why do we like it? I think it's because the promise of positive ideals, personal and societial growth expressed in print tends to validate and reinforce our beliefs and desires. We read fantasy and science fiction for the same reason we come here, we look for a connection that will help us feel less alone in a world that sometimes seems to be alien itself. We can see there is an acceptance, and even encouragement of diversity in those various futures, again something we desire in the here and now.

Historical fiction, horror, love stories and shoot 'em ups, don't contain any of that. We are a bunch of idealists it seems, so we gravitate toward the idealism that underlies SF.

Or it could be we like to look at the exaggerated bodies of semi-dressed women on the covers.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by MelanieCA View Post
    Maybe somebody can help me out here.

I remember as a teenager reading a light-hearted science fiction book, about a group of people and the wonderfully weird things that happen to them when they modify Planck's constant.

What I remember most about this was a male character, who during some period when the laws of the universe were in flux, turned into a woman as some kind of wish fulfillment. He explained that it made sense, that he loved women so much he wanted to be one.

That's pretty much the only scene I remember about it (obviously). I'd love to read it again, but for the life of me I don't remember the title or author. I do think it was the first part of a series that I didn't continue.

Any ideas?
    The book is Master of Space and Time by Rudy Rucker. I read it too and I loved it. I might even still have the paperback.

Liking Sci-Fi=Very Intelligent!

It isn't so much a coincidence that most TG individuals like Sci-Fi . Most TG individuals are very intelligent (statistically-speaking as per my therapist) and it is that trait that draws us towards Sci-Fi as a favorite, IMHO!

Girlygirl Tomboy Wannabee Toni_Lynn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorileah View Post
    I think it was Turnabout Intruder
    GH! IMHO - that is the about the absolute worst Star Trek episode ever -- (actually Who Mourns for Adonais is the worst)! Although I am a Star Trek fan I absolutely hated it, because -- well -- I hate the way sci fi stuff uses the TG element. In fact in most cases I find it to be trite and condescending, in fact almost stereotyped. In the case of this episode, Kirk could have swapped bodies with any other person, human or not, and the same story could have been written -- the TG angle added nothing to it.

I particularly hate the way that authors at a particular TG fiction website write a sci-fi story, have a character change gender and the totally abandon the TG element. At times I think that the site in question should call itself scifimania.com (or bodyswapmania or magicmania). At least they don't totally deceive by calling it tgmania

All that said, I do like regular non-TG sci-fi such as Psi Factor, Sliders, Alienation and V. Of the Star Trek franchise, I think that Voyager was the best of the lot. The fact that the Captain, Janeway, was female made it very appealing. Yes, and right -- I'd die for a body like 7 of 9.

I'll pass on Battlestar Galactica and Star Wars --yawn.

Huggles

Toni-Lynn
    --I'm TN (transnationalist) - a Canadian born in an American's body! I stand on guard for thee!

The best of both worlds Kathi Lake's Avatar
    Right there. To your left. No, your LEFT! Yes, that's it. Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Persephone View Post
    Kevin J. Anderson?
    Yup! Anderson it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Toni_Lynn View Post
    GH! IMHO - that is the about the absolute worst Star Trek episode ever -- (actually Who Mourns for Adonais is the worst)!
    Oh Toni, I don't think so. IMO, the worst episode ever was The Omega Glory (E Plabnista, anybody?

Kathi

Quote Originally Posted by Kathi Lake View Post
    Yup! Anderson it was.

Oh Toni, I don't think so. IMO, the worst episode ever was The Omega Glory (E Plabnista, anybody?

Kathi
    E PLEBnista, not Plabnista! Don't make me get out the Blish novelizations and beat you over the head with them.

Also, "And The Children Shall Lead" is the worst. (pumps arm to use the Gorgan power to make everyone agree!) And I will not mention that I wanted to be Pamelyn Ferdin in Space Academy just because she had a guest appearance in this episode of Star Trek TOS.

Veronica Rogers
    If you believe in it, makeup has a magic all it's own -- Sooner or Later (TV movie)
    We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be?- Marianne Williamson
    Have I also not said that "This Thing of Ours" makes some of us a bit "Barefoot in the Head"? Well, it does.

I am a sci-fi fan. I dont read often at all though. I do enjoy star trek and star wars. I think the last book I read close to this was more in the fantasy genere. Its been quite some time but I think its was pool of radience of maybe Elminster.
    New facebook page feel free to add me as a friend. http://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn...00003349942987

The best of both worlds Kathi Lake's Avatar
    Right there. To your left. No, your LEFT! Yes, that's it. Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by VeronicaMoonlit View Post
    E PLEBnista, not Plabnista! Don't make me get out the Blish novelizations and beat you over the head with them.
    Oh, all right. Since mine are behind a bunch of other books, I'll have to defer to you.

Also, "And The Children Shall Lead" is the worst. (pumps arm to use the Gorgan power to make everyone agree!)

Veronica Rogers
    Oh, come ON!! a friendly angel played by a famous lawyer? What's not to love?

Kathi

Oh, all right. Since mine are behind a bunch of other books, I'll have to defer to you.

Oh, come ON!! a friendly angel played by a famous lawyer? What's not to love?

Kathi
    Oh all right, I think we can all agree that Fred Freiberger was no Gene Roddenberry.

And yes, I like SF.

Veronica Rogers
    If you believe in it, makeup has a magic all it's own -- Sooner or Later (TV movie)
    We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be?- Marianne Williamson
    Have I also not said that "This Thing of Ours" makes some of us a bit "Barefoot in the Head"? Well, it does.

Love sci-fi

Girlygirl Tomboy Wannabee Toni_Lynn's Avatar
    Yup! Anderson it was.

Kathi
    Also, "And The Children Shall Lead" is the worst.
    You both do have a point there -- both first rate stinkers!

Best -- IMHO -- The Trouble With Tribbles and The Menagerie. In fact -- The Menagerie is a great allegory about what it is to be a CDer/ TG in many ways

Huggles

Toni-Lynn
    --I'm TN (transnationalist) - a Canadian born in an American's body! I stand on guard for thee!

Hi Ami, I to am a sci fi fan. I have another one for everybody, My GG Has study in India an has moved along in the culture. When we met 4 yrs ago I told her right off the bat that I cross dressed. No problem she said, as our lives moved on and we became more and more involved with one another. About a year into our relationship she said to me one evening as I was dressed as a women, you have taught me what my master has been saying for yrs. I asked what? and she said that our souls are both male an female. Being with you i under stand it now, as your soul is both and you have learned to live with it. Being brough up a catholic I was intrested in what she was talking about. Moving into 2009/10 I have learned that in the India culture and religion there is both in a person. She has come around in that she is no longer afraid of her male side. Needless to say we have a very interesting life, Sci-Fi no I think that we are ent- a tees living in a human body an we come back to this world to live a life eather male or female and some times both < CD's > to do some thing to grant us a place in the next plane , if we don't do it right back we come to try again. I my self belive that right now for me I am both male and female so the CD ing. Interesting concept MAYBE ????????? JO