Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: pick a decade

pick a decade

To go along with the "1850's" thread and if you would be a crossdresser then (they didn't have sexy underwear then...wait many didn't even have underwear), Choose a decade of the 2oth century that you would like to emulate (assume you are a passing CD.) and why. You would be totally dressed en femme. Don't argue that the economy was bad or we were at war or women were treated like chattel, it is just a statement of the look. Go for the "look" you would like. You have 15 minutes to complete this question, no cheating off others paper (try not to say Yeah what Suzy said)

OK I'll start. The forties. I love both the casual look of a simple dress, shoulder length hair, and back then moderate heel shoes, but also the dressy look of going dancing (although my drawn on lines would probably be crooked). the make up and the attitude (would be a Carole Lombard look alike...Hey it's MY fantasy ) Would love to be a pin up even if it was for some poor "joe" somewhere
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Banned Read only
    Last night I was watching The Lawrence Welk Show on PBS, for lack of anything better to do. No, I'm not a big Lawrence Welk fan. But it was refreshing to see women that looked like women, all wearing dresses, and heels, and long hair. Not a pantsuit or boy haircut to be seen, anywhere. June Cleaver looked pretty good too, back in the 50s.
    Later in the evening, watching other stuff, and commercials, there were no dresses or heels to be seen. Most of the women in the shows or commercials were wearing slacks, pantsuits, jeans, etc.
    I guess if I had to choose, I would pick the 40s, 50s, or 60s, before the damn rebellion set in.

The 20's

It would have to be the 20's or the roaring 20's to be exact. The black bottom, skirts high, and don't forget the hats. Speak easys.
    Even though it was a depression era like now. People had fun no matter what. Not like today.
    Summer

Since I began my journey into the feminine realm in the fifties I'm going to stick with that decade. That's when I fell in love with the silky smooth panties and slips, garter belts, girdles, stockings and other items of femininity worn in those times. Also girl and women of that decade wore more dresses and skirts for everyday wear than they do now. About the only thing from that decade that I didn't like were the pointy cup bras.
    Luv and Jill

Straight, into Fantasy Land

so many good decades but if I have to chose I will take the 20's I want to be a flapper
    mostly harmless

Gotta agree with you Lori. I love the 40's fashion. My idol, since birth, has been Veronica Lake. Rita Hayworth isn't bad either.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Girlygirl Tomboy Wannabee Toni_Lynn's Avatar
    Easy -- sort of -- for me. The 70s. Actually if I could split it -- 1965 to 1975. I'd love to go back, be about 18 years old and have a purse bulging with cash!

Reason is that is when I started crossdressing and it would be so cool to go back, try on all the mod things that I missing, and fill in a bunch of fantasies!

BTW -- the best bit though would be if I could go back, still with a pocketful of money, but be the age I was then. I'd love to sneak into my high school all dressed and walk around observing things and sit in the girls room catching the skinny on some of the other girls. Wait -- I did that last bit -- at least I was wearing panties at the time --- or many times!

Huggles

Toni-Lynn
    Last edited by Toni_Lynn; 11-22-2009 at 02:36 PM.
    --I'm TN (transnationalist) - a Canadian born in an American's body! I stand on guard for thee!

The late 50's and early 60's for me, I love the styles worn by the women in Mad Men, those were the days: women vaccuming in dresses and heels, nylons that snapped onto garters of girdles that made their waists look tiny, long white gloves to conceal manhands...a crossdresser's dream!

I would say the fifties, around the time that Happy Days was set. The clothes were hot, the styles were cool, and so much was getting started, rock and roll, hot roddingand women were starting to be out and about, since they were in the work force for WW2.
    Don't let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game.

The 70, 80 and 90.
    Cary

The middle 60's-mid 90's

Talking oldfashoned girl

for me it must be the 1950's as i already have full skirts n dresses also pettycqats to go with them a great eara for fashon n music i also have the pencil skirts and the coats with the big collars.
    donna leeds uk

I'd would have to go with the 50'S. Absolutely love the shirt-waist dresses.Oh yeah don't forget the pearls ala June Cleaver.

I would pick the 60's. Such a variety of women's fashion: early 60's still had the bobbie sox and saddle shoes for teens and form fitting dresses and suits like Jackie & Marilyn wore. Then bikinis, mini skirts and the mod look. Ahhh to look like either Inger Stevens, Susan Oliver, Emma Peale, Petula Clark, et al.!

Silver Member
    I'm pretty happy right where I am, thank you. I find the clothes I wear now to be comfortable and attractive.

I remember the 50s. I was THERE. Garter belts and stockings were UNCOMFORTABLE. Stockings bagged at the knee when you stood up. Girdles and corsets were inventions of the devil, I thought. Sleeping with curlers in your hair? Hemming your skirts by hand because they all came too long? Pads only because Tampax was immoral? (whoops, you guys don't care about that, do you?) There was no antiperspirant, only deoderant, so you had to wear these little plastic shields in your underarms to keep your dresses from getting stained. Dress shields, they were called. Longline bras had to be hooked to your girdle to keep them from riding up. Makeup was primitive. White gloves whenever you left the house. Try to keep THEM looking nice.

I could keep going, but I ain't gonna. Sufice it to say I like it just where I am. Now, if you could take a few years off ME. That would be something I could get into.

I find the women's clothing of the 19th century to be very attractive, but I thank my lucky stars that I don't have to WEAR it. While it's true that women didn't wear panties, and men didn't wear briefs, if you define underwear (as they did) as something worn UNDER your outerwear, most people have always (and certainly in the 1800s) worn underwear.

Lovies,
    Stephenie

The 60's. Love the fab dresses. Andy Warhol had a story that some young woman invented the mini-dress style: to save money she bought young girl's dresses which were higher on her legs.
    Also a bit of the 20's for the hairstyles ( NOTE: the Depression era came AFTER that )
    [SIZE="3"]Gender is a state of mind[/SIZE]
    LGBTQ PRIDE
    As of Oct. 5th, go here to see my pics:http://www.flickr.com/people/fab_karen/
    A Yankee Doodle T-Girl
    proud of my President

I'd go back to the 1980s - I loved the outfits the girls wore in high school.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephenie S View Post
    I'm pretty happy right where I am, thank you. I find the clothes I wear now to be comfortable and attractive.

I remember the 50s. I was THERE. Garter belts and stockings were UNCOMFORTABLE. Stockings bagged at the knee when you stood up. Girdles and corsets were inventions of the devil, I thought. Sleeping with curlers in your hair? Hemming your skirts by hand because they all came too long? Pads only because Tampax was immoral? (whoops, you guys don't care about that, do you?) There was no antiperspirant, only deoderant, so you had to wear these little plastic shields in your underarms to keep your dresses from getting stained. Dress shields, they were called. Longline bras had to be hooked to your girdle to keep them from riding up. Makeup was primitive. White gloves whenever you left the house. Try to keep THEM looking nice.

I could keep going, but I ain't gonna. Sufice it to say I like it just where I am. Now, if you could take a few years off ME. That would be something I could get into.

I find the women's clothing of the 19th century to be very attractive, but I thank my lucky stars that I don't have to WEAR it. While it's true that women didn't wear panties, and men didn't wear briefs, if you define underwear (as they did) as something worn UNDER your outerwear, most people have always (and certainly in the 1800s) worn underwear.

Lovies,
    Stephenie
    Thanks for the reality check! Now that you mention it, when pantyhose came out they were hailed as a big advance over those dreaded girdles and stockings, now women bitch about wearing pantyhose!

1950's...just think of the amount of crinoline, lace, sheer nylon fabric. I just adore the pencil skirts, not just the petticoats. I am a huge fan of Bettie Page. Just something about this era that made women's clothes seem so special.

Crossdressing Curmudgeon TommiTN's Avatar
    The fitties for sure! My avatar says it all.
    Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

I'd say the 40s as well; loved the fashion from that era.
    Merry

HRT since 2009

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar

I can only pick ONE, Lori?

Ok, then I pick the 60's! Preferably, the first half!

Back then, men were men, and women were women! ( Or, so I thot at the time!)
    At least, that's how they DRESSED!

If u want to know WHY I picked then, just look thru Playboy, or ANY picture mag from that time period!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Jersey for 33 yrs, Now Vancouver, Washington!
    The late 80's - early 90's, come on! I mean just look at me!

I know, I know the fashion sucked. But the hair, the hair was majestic!

I love the fashion and hair from the early 60's as well
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] x o x o x o Samantha Girl!!! * remember girls, sexiness is a state of mind!!!

I'll pick 1975 to 1985. The dresses had progressed from the horrid 60s styles into the flowing full-skirted disco styles, and they began using a polyester blend instead of straight polyester. The styles were wonderful, with big fluffy sweaters, sweet dresses and skirts, hosiery, heels, and lovely hair styles.

Gimme!

Any money found in the laundry is MINE!

"This is no social crisis....this is me having fun!"

www.flickr.com/photos/tgmarla/

Aspiring Member

peekaboo

Aubrey,
    Veronica's hairdo wasn't the only thing that was peekaboo, was it? There were so many beautiful women in the 30s and 40's. Even Joan Crawford had her moments.
    mandrake