Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking About Coming "Out" At Thanksgiving?

Thinking About Coming "Out" At Thanksgiving?

I was wondering if anyone here has ever used Thanksgiving as a time for announcing to the family that the were transgendered or a crossdresser. The reason it is on my mind is

A. Obviously, Thanksgiving is this week
    B. Last year, my wife's uncle decided to come out as gay to all of us on Thanksgiving (even though most of us already knew)
    C. A one-shot deal, easier to tell a group than many individuals

Personally, I probably wouldn't use such an occasion to drop such a bomb on everyone, I prefer one-on-one conversations. Despite this, I often dream about how nice it would be to come out to a room full of my family and friends and have them accept me with open-arms and love.

It is certainly dangerous territory but it would definitely make a splash. Despite what most people say, a lot of families love drama and gossip hehehe...

By the way when my wife's uncle came out, everyone was accepting except his mother, so overall he considered it a success.

Are any of you considering doing this or have you done it before? Anxiously awaiting responses

Jessica

I think that each person has to make the decision of whether to come out. However, the timing and location may need some third party input, which you are requesting here. Your dressing may not have the same affects on others, inlcuding your wife, as it does on you. A family gathering sounds like a good time to get it all over with (coming out) to a larger group of people. But, it could end up spoiling the anticipated happy, uncomplicated, special family moment for a lot of the attendees. Also, is your wife ready for you to come out and be identified as the wife of a crossdresser? That is a mute point if she is totally in agreement with you, but can be a big problem is she is not. Talk to her and get her feedback and recommendations. She knows your family some and your friends and should have some good ideas. Good luck with whatever you do. You are a braver soul than I am.

Nahh.... Way too many sharp kinves and blunt instraments.. I'd much rather pass the pumpkin pie than pass as a woman this holiday! Or eat drink and be merry than eat drink and be Mary!
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Psyco Roller Derby Doll. Katesback's Avatar
    Say you are a crossdresser and present a female 1% of the time in envoronments where the people that know you are not likely to be.

If that is the case then I have to ask you why tell anyone? I mean you dont tell the world all your secrets. Also if these people are not going to see the girl what does it matter that they know.

On the other hand if you are going to take it all to a different level and present a girl to these people in the future then it would make sense to tell them.

Just finding my way.... StaceyJane's Avatar
    Thanksgiving really should be a time for family togetherness. Dropping such potentially divisive bombshell on everybody could just ruin the day.
    Stacey

I'm not a doctor, I just play one on TV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wob7zmvVTb8

Gold Member
    That's a big decision Jessica and I wish you the best with it. If you have a loving family who are interested in your happiness, then you'll be fine. You've already got a leg up over alot of us in that you have a very supportive SO. I have thought about this myself, but have decided, at least for now, that it's not a necessary thing for my family to know. I'm confident they would be supportive, but right now, it's a private part of my life that I'm not ready to share with just anyone. Maybe that will change someday. But, from what I have seen in many of your previous posts, you are definitely one happy girl....

Quote Originally Posted by Katesback View Post
    Say you are a crossdresser and present a female 1% of the time in envoronments where the people that know you are not likely to be.

If that is the case then I have to ask you why tell anyone? I mean you dont tell the world all your secrets. Also if these people are not going to see the girl what does it matter that they know.

On the other hand if you are going to take it all to a different level and present a girl to these people in the future then it would make sense to tell them.
    Surely the important thing is if they feel comfortable overall about telling, if that is the case the % of the time is unimportant, perhaps they would like to have those close to know them know as much about them as a person as possible, perhaps they would like the relatives to meet their girl side as to why you made the above statements
    I allow myself to set healthy boundaries ..... to say no to what does not align with my values, to say yes to what does.
    Boundaries assist me to remain healthy, honest and living a life that is true to me

There is a time and place for everything - in my humble opinion, at the

Thanksgiving table is not the place or time. Be a little patient, the right time

will come.

JoAnne Wheeler
    "I'm an all American Bluegrass Girl and Proud As I Can Be"

Quote Originally Posted by Karren Hutton View Post
    Nahh.... Way too many sharp kinves and blunt instraments.. I'd much rather pass the pumpkin pie than pass as a woman this holiday! Or eat drink and be merry than eat drink and be Mary!
    LOL .. ur so funny

Hey everyone, sorry I guess I worded my post incorrectly. I wasn't saying that I was going to do this or even considering it

Just wanted to bring it up if anyone had done it before or was planning to do it. I always go for one on one conversations, I have 100% success with those

Well, how did The Family react last year? Are The same people going to be there? Has anything happened recently that would change circumstances?

I'm about like everyone else, my gut reaction is: "don't disrupt a family gathering during a major holiday, it will only cause misunderstandings and hurt feelings."

But, if they seem like they could handle The Information without a huge disruption and would welcome your candor, you might consider The Option. By the way, don't do your "announcement" by showing up dressed. That's not The Ideal Way to handle The Problem..."One Trauma for Mom and Dad at a time!"

Peace and Love, Joanie

PS. Christmas would also be a non-opportune time!
    Last edited by sterling12; 11-23-2009 at 04:27 PM.

to me - it's a personal matter, pretty intimate information, and I think dropping a potential bomb in the middle of an otherwise neutral gathering is - well, not such a great idea.

Sorta like how your mom used to tell you "quit playing with that stick, it's all good fun until someone gets their eye put out."
    [SIZE="3"]Ali[/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"]"You're as beautiful as you feel"... Carole King[/SIZE]

Uncle Bob last year, you this year, what next year? You think they would get the idea when I answered the door in a skirt and heels? This is not an option for me as everyone who is coming to dinner already knows Lori but yet I haven't decided what I am wearing...yet. I don't want to be the only one there in a corset while the rest of the family pops open their belts and has that extra piece of pie. No no, don't worry about me, please pass the celery stick...and that bottle of wine

Yeah, if it was important to me to tell everyone there, I would. But like I said they would probably know when I was walking around looking like June Cleaver
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

It'd be better than doing it on Christmas.

Nahh.... Way too many sharp kinves and blunt instraments.. I'd much rather pass the pumpkin pie than pass as a woman this holiday! Or eat drink and be merry than eat drink and be Mary!!

Karron still laughing at your reply!!!!

Have you talked it over with your S/O ?? whats her thoughts on it,remember shes your better half and will also have to live with it

J-JAY
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Hugs J-JAY

Never underestimate the power of brains and a push up bra.

Never complain about growing old, far too many people have been denied that privilege".

Quote Originally Posted by Karren Hutton View Post
    That's too funny!

Just show up at dinner wearing a nice dress and let them figure it out.

As many of the people there will be from your wife's family have a very serious talk with her. It may also be good to talk with Uncle Bob for some advice.
    It takes a real man to wear a dress.

considered it yes,would i do it no. my mother is starting to hint around that theres something "diffrent about me" ill let the gear's click till she figures it out. as for the rest of my family if they see me on the street "im closted but getting braver" ill worry about it then. after all it is are decision to decide are path and when the time is right you will know
    Your life is a series of moment's,for each one passed is another one lost.

WOW, that is a tough choice to make. If you do it you could say something about being thankful for having them all as family. Might be a way to see would also be thankful for you, the person, not what you wear, work or anything else, just for you being you.
    Good luck hun. Have a happy thanksgiving.

Hugs, Janelle

If you did tell everyone this Thanksgiving, your family would be scared of what they would learn next year.
    Michelle

Well, I for one could never understand...

...what goes through the minds of the type of people who agree to drop a similar major bombshell on friends or family on television programs like the Maury, Jerry Springer, or the Tyra Banks Shows etc.

IMHO, they are either extreme narcissists who don't give a d*nm about anyone else's feelings except for their own, or else they are complete cowards who hope that any negative reaction that the other parties might voice will be mitigated by the fact they they would be so shell-shocked that they would probably be reluctant to make a scene and embarrass everyone involved even further in front of both a live audience and a national one.

I wouldn't use any holiday or special occasion unless you felt the time was right. Then I wouldn't do it until everyone was about to go home, making sure the event was enjoyd by all first.

Quote Originally Posted by Ailyn View Post
    It'd be better than doing it on Christmas.
    I came out on Christmas many years ago and have regretted my poor judgement since then. It was the heighth of narcissism and lack of regard for my wife and children.

Everyone in the family may suspect "Aunt Kathy" is a lesbian and be able to accept her coming out. However, many in our families neither have a clue, let alone can imagine that "Dad" or "Son" or "Grandpa" is a crossdresser

i haven't read all the responses so i don't know if anyone mentioned this but the best day to come out would be on Halloween. dress as a girl and make up your mind if you want to come out based on how your family responds.

Not Cding related, but I've had several disputes with family on special occasions and it has me really stressed and feeling uncomfortable when these yearly events come. It is best to make major personal announcements on their own day unless it is your family tradition to dump it all out on Thanksgiving and this year is your turn.

Complex Lolita...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessica Who
    Thinking About Coming "Out" At Thanksgiving?
    Are any of you considering doing this or have you done it before?
    [SIZE="2"]I haven’t really thought about it. My family, what’s left of it, is rather small, and the majority of these individuals are completely divorced from all manner of sensory input. This is a “pearls before swine” situation, in my lofty opinion – why divulge the work of art I’ve been investing so much time, thought, and energy on to a bunch of…sensory-deprived non-believers*? I mean, look around inside the house where we’ll be gathering on Thanksgiving – terrible pictures on the wall (they call ‘em “pitchers”), tacky décor in every room, the humans are all wearing their unisex Wal-Mart shopping uniforms (T-shirts and jeans or shorts) and, above all, the pervasive overall impression of consumer drabness (courtesy of the American Dream) that fills every nook and cranny of every room. Also, if you look out the window (this particular house is in western Kansas), the backyard landscape looks like ground zero – I’m not kidding. This is my other sister’s place, a bunker out in the middle of nowhere – her sense of style blew away in the incessant winds years ago, never to return…

No, I wouldn’t come out at Thanksgiving, or any other time, to people who would not…ahem…appreciate such a gesture – I would anticipate lots of eye-rolling, stifled laughs, and pregnant silences. My artistic/sympathetic sister, who I live with, is another story entirely, and I will come out to her someday in an intimate setting of my choosing – she is a more worthy audience…

*I’m reminded of that cute story about a young artist (a painter) who kept badgering Francis Bacon (the famous painter) about coming to his studio to look at his amateurish and sophomoric efforts. Bacon finally had enough, one day, and he said, “I won’t come to look at your pictures, because I’ve seen your tie!”[/SIZE]
    Last edited by Frédérique; 11-24-2009 at 07:13 AM. Reason: a small addition