Thread: Feminizing Your Drab Look Through Freestyle Fashion

Feminizing Your Drab Look Through Freestyle Fashion

I’ve seen a lot of comments loosely related to what I’ve recently heard referred to as “freestyle fashion” which is basically taking your typical male outfit and adding traditionally female items to it to create a hybrid of an all male and all female outfit.

I’m personally a huge fan of this, and other than work (I work in an office, but also go to school fulltime) I almost always mix and match when I’m going out. As I mentioned in my Introduction (I am new here) I have just recently gotten into dressing all the way again (after a bit of a hiatus), but I love wearing nail polish, more obvious makeup, and my favorite of all, high heels w/ my everyday male clothes, and I did start doing that before I got back into wearing fully femme outfits again.

What are you guys opinions on this? Do you like to blend male and female fashion, or keep drab and femme separate? If you do like to blend them what femme items do you usually add?

Occasionally I've worn my crinkly purple silk scarf (it has some metallic thread) with a navy corduroy blazer and a V-neck sweater, and a pair of small silver hoop earrings, and just jeans. I look like I played in the Pretenders circa 1980. It's very androgynous & metrosexual.

I have my monthly manicure, and had gels done recently. I usually go out in lower heeled (2 or so inch) boots, but once in a while the higher ones come out. On warmer days, but polished toes can be seen in my sandals. THe jean I usually wear are from the women's dept.

So yes, I do mix in both genders in my androgenous style.

Quote Originally Posted by alexism&f View Post
    I’ve seen a lot of comments loosely related to what I’ve recently heard referred to as “freestyle fashion” which is basically taking your typical male outfit and adding traditionally female items to it to create a hybrid of an all male and all female outfit.

I’m personally a huge fan of this, and other than work (I work in an office, but also go to school fulltime) I almost always mix and match when I’m going out. As I mentioned in my Introduction (I am new here) I have just recently gotten into dressing all the way again (after a bit of a hiatus), but I love wearing nail polish, more obvious makeup, and my favorite of all, high heels w/ my everyday male clothes, and I did start doing that before I got back into wearing fully femme outfits again.

What are you guys opinions on this? Do you like to blend male and female fashion, or keep drab and femme separate? If you do like to blend them what femme items do you usually add?
    -----

Sherri T

Proudly perched in my Patent High Heels

Well, I haven't really done it (except underdressing--panties, stockings, occasionally a bra), but it is what my daughter suggested that I do. When I told her that one of my frustrations was that I don't have as many opportunities to dress en femme as I would like, she said, "Why don't you choose some more feminine styles of sweaters or tops, blouses instead of shirts, more colorful socks--that kind of thing."
    I think she's right, so I've done a little in that direction; I may start to do more.
    warmly, Linnea

When I'm femme I'm femme. When I'm in drab I'm femme from the waist down.
    Put a little lipstick on you'll feel better

I wear long nails, earrings, high heels, feminine eyebrows, long hair and obvious makeup (eyes and lips) at all times, and the sky hasn't fallen yet (although it might still, any day now).

- Diane

Must...Buy...Clothes... Katrina's Avatar
    I blend daily. I haven't worn men's shoes for years now except two instances when I wore a tux. My daily shoes aren't too femme, but if you are paying attention, they are definitely women's shoes. Pants are the exact same case, with the exception that I wear my old men's jeans when I'm doing projects around the house. I have worn heels out in guy mode, but not recently. I've gone out wearing eye makeup once in guy mode. Nail polish a few times on my hands - a bunch of times on my feet.
    -Katrina

It's the shoes...

...putting the "T" in GLBT.

The world would be a better place if everybody learned yoga...

Rated "TG"...for some gender bending

I like to wear fem shirts/blouses and jewelry with my otherwise male clothes whenever I can.

for me its hard. I like lots of pink and lace.. I adore lace.. So I think I will have to really look around and see if I can find something more androgenous that I actually like. But a great idea!

I'm kind of a funny duck. While I try to keep the gender presentation consistant with which look(male or female) I'm doing, it doesn't necessarily mean I always "act" the part. Too much gender diversity at stake to do that.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

A California Girl Rachel Morley's Avatar
    I too like to blend feminine clothes into my everyday look. I am definitely not one of those folks that compartmentalizes their dressing to an all or nothing situation.

In fact, I can't really say that I blend male with female as almost all of my everyday clothes are female but some are more unisex female than girly female. I don't know if this qualifies for what you are thinking of but typically, I always wear my bra and panties, but with women's tennis shoes (white with pink accents), women's fitted jeans and t-shirts, and on top either a classic style high buttoning cardigan or a girl's hoodie in a not too girly color (like say baby blue). I also wear gold stud earrings, a woman's watch, my eyebrows are always thinly plucked, I wear subtle eye makeup (eyeliner and mascara) my finger nails are long and painted shiny clear (my toes always have color) and I usually top it off with a basecall cap.

I wear the same thing at work except for my makeup and the colors are more muted, like navy and black. No one has ever said anything to me but I do sometimes get a few weird looks t me in certain situations.
    The River City Gems - Northern California's largest and most active crossdressing & transgender support group!

Pausing To Femme-flect melissacd's Avatar
    Being that the only clothes that I have these days are female (I threw out the male clothes) I either present in femme mode or I present in whatever sort of male-ish look I can create from my female clothing. So I look very metrosexual.
    What stop do I get off at? Hmmm...

As I'm transitioning slowly, I've been blending daily wear on a constant basis.

My work outfits are generally 1.5" heeled slip on square toes, women's dress slacks, trouser socks or stockings with boyshorts, bra & women's undershirt with a random men's button down (colors are becoming increasingly pastel and airy) and tie (again, more vibrant as time passes). My fingernails are nearly always done with beige/nudes/glosses and of varying lengths based on their health, and at times have definitely been in the 1/4"+ range. Toes always painted random colors. I wear a light foundation basically every day, enough to vaguely hide what's left of my beard as I'm irradicating it with laser and electrolysis without looking cakey and plastic. Generally no eye makeup, but sometimes a little lip gloss depending on my mood. My coats have been generally womens, winter, black leather, sherpa brown with fur, etc.

Outside work, daily wear varies but is almost entirely womens, as in I don't generally wear mens clothing outside work anymore EXCEPT when I have to go somewhere I'm not 'out' to yet (like my son's school, or generally anywhere with him in the town we live in). Weekends and weekdays nights to myself find me fully dressed, but casual, makeup and all. However, when I'm with my son, it's really the same you would imagine at work, except in jeans and I stay away from the overtly frilly clothes, but all nails are almost always painted and shoes will vary by need (including open toed / peep toes/ sandals and heeled choices, etc.)
    Last edited by Angel.Marie76; 12-17-2009 at 11:40 AM.

I think that's where I'd kind of like to head. I've begun to see myself as more androgynous recently, and would like to pursue that in what I wear. Now if I could only come up with the courage.
    Red Heels!

I dress almost strictly in women's clothing that borderlines unisex, but is obviously cut and tailored for a women's body.

Things like women's plaid button downs, tees, turtleneck sweaters, crew and V neck shirts and tops that aren't too rediciously deep. I do light makeup on a day to day basis, and I styled my hair feminine. One thing I current lack is shoes though, hard to find good fitting shoes and boots.

I do still own some more overly femme clothing, but its mostly for if I feel like doing a drag look at the club.

Loves ordinary miracles SuzanneBender's Avatar
    I never knew there was a name for this. Cool I am in the mainstream of a new fashion trend!

Almost all of my male turtle necks,Tshirts, and sweaters are from the womens section. I wear women’s jeans (Sorry Karren), women’s dockers and women’s shoes. I love my scarves, most of my coats are women's coats.

ohh and I carry a purse. I don't know why more men don't. It is so convenient.
    See yourself as a soul with a body not a body with a soul" Dr. Wayne Dyer

Quote Originally Posted by SuzanneBender View Post

ohh and I carry a purse. I don't know why more men don't. It is so convenient.
    He he, oh yes, purses! They are indeed handy! I have only two now, but generally when I'm out and not in 'work-mode', my purse is right there with me.

I will wear a pink ie and a pink dress shirt every so often but that's far as I will go.. Not because of what anyone will think because if I'm going to femininize anything it's going to be with a skirt or a dress..... plus if all the guys fem up it's going to make crossdressing very difficult... no one will be able to tell the difference....
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

I like the androgynous look, but yet also the masculine buff look and I simply enjoy looking excellent. To me that masculine androgynous look is produced with subtle make up, clear mascara, and a lite matte eye shadow done to the first crease of the eye lid. That does the eyes, then I like to wear a hint of lipstick that deepens my natural lip color. Finally I enjoy painting my nails with matte Nail Envy from OPI, a polish that is also marketed to men ( my excuse to the significant other). I add this to an intense regular work out regime, and then at times some under dressing to enjoy the soft and sensual. Frankly, I believe that we were all made uniquely by God , and that the way we like to appear is just another expression of the way He created us.

Dea