Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has Dockers Fallen Off A Cliff?

Has Dockers Fallen Off A Cliff?

Just came across a weird full-page ad by Dockers and wonder what it says about the direction of our society. Surely Dockers is attempting to sell into some demographic.

Advertisers often foresee trends and surf the cutting edge. Do these ads herald a new direction emerging in our society?

It made me think. As crossdressers, which side are we really on? Are we really on the side of androgyny? Or do we really like it when "men are men and women are women"?

After all, what's the point of dressing up like a woman if it just makes you look like "one of the guys"?

The ad uses type in the figure of a man from head to waist, with a pair of Dockers below that.

The text reads:

"Once upon a time, men wore the pants, and wore them well. Women rarely had to open doors and little old ladies never crossed the street alone. Men took charge because that's what they did.

"But somewhere along the way, the world decided it no longer needed men. Disco by disco, latte by foamy non-fat latte, men were stripped of their khakis and left stranded on the road between boyhood and androgyny.

"But today, there are questions our genderless society has no answers for. The world sits idly by as cities crumble, children misbehave and those little old ladies remain on one side of the street.

"For the first time since bad guys, we need heroes. We need grown-ups. We need men to put down the plastic fork, step away from the salad bar and untie the world from the tracks of complacency.

"It's time to get your hands dirty. It's time to answer the call of manhood. It's time to WEAR THE PANTS."

Your thoughts?
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

They want guys to wear Dockers. Some guys if they feel "macho," might be influenced to buy a particular pair of pants, or at least purchase The Macho Lifestyle those pants might represent.

Marketing Guy wants to take advantage of this situation, gets together with Advertising Guy; and they come up with an ad campaign to make certain 20-30 something males want to be associated with their pants....cause they are "macho!"

It a "scheme" to get people to buy more of their pants! It will work on some people's psyche's, on others it won't work at all. If they sell enough pants, for whatever reason....they win! Marketing and Advertising Guys get great big bonuses! If you are gullible enough to think you can become "macho" by purchasing a $50 pair of Dockers at Dillards....have fun with your new pants.

I wouldn't read anything more into it!

Peace and Love, Joanie

I don't care about the pants, but dockers prostyle boxer briefs are the best men's underwear ever made. and i've worn them underneath women's jeans, so that blows their theory.

Jersey for 33 yrs, Now Vancouver, Washington!
    I think it's kinda a stupid move on their part as far marketing, it's bound to annoy someone.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] x o x o x o Samantha Girl!!! * remember girls, sexiness is a state of mind!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Samantha Girl View Post
    I think it's kinda a stupid move on their part as far marketing, it's bound to annoy someone.
    Why should they be any different than the companies that are trying to push the "metro sexual" look? They are just trying to get their share of the market. These advertising guys are no dummies. Dockers are gearing their advertising towards a different demographic, and we all know that there is no shortage of "macho" guys running around the planet. Maybe it will annoy guys who run around in dresses, but guys in dresses aren't who they are trying to reach.
    "one day I'll fly away..... leave all this to yesterday"

http://youtu.be/kR7NlgwVHHg

Living Dead Girl Schatten Lupus's Avatar
    I've never liked Dockers, or any pants. I think they are uncomfortable, very undurable, and just a waste. And apparently they now make some lame commercials. I'll take a pair of demon denim Wranglers any day of the week.

Jersey for 33 yrs, Now Vancouver, Washington!
    Kelly, I understand the idea of marketing to a specific group, but it seems like they're doing it at the expense of a larger group of men, which for any company seems dumb to me. Whatever, never liked dockers anyway
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] x o x o x o Samantha Girl!!! * remember girls, sexiness is a state of mind!!!

Speaking as a guy who loves to wear skirts... I like the add and I love my Dockers as long as I'm wearing a sports coat and a cute tie to match....

Guys should be guys and girls should be girls but that doesn't mean that you can cross-over the fence when ever you want!
    Last edited by Karren H; 12-11-2009 at 09:47 AM.
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Catering

It IS annoying that they would choose such a base advertising platform and even more annoying that they would contribute to the ridiculous notion that men have to be controlling, aggressive, ignorant brutes. My guess is the people to whom this ad might appeal would act that way anyway but it's unfortunate to see Dockers or anyone else playing to the stereotype. It's exactly what the US could use a whole lot less of.

Dockers popularity is dying, they are just trying to be macho to get men to start buying thier pants again. They have to sell to survive. Any market is better than no market.
    Put a little lipstick on you'll feel better

Wasn't is Dockers who, a few years ago, had a TV commercial with guys in dresses at a party eyeing up women in pants with a tag line something like: "Dockers: the Little Black Dress for guys"?

Hey, if Dockers started making skirts "in the Dockers fashion style", I might be interested!
    -Meri

Central Ohio

Banned Read only
    Anything they do is going to annoy someone.

Complex Lolita...
    Quote Originally Posted by Persephone
    "For the first time since bad guys, we need heroes. We need grown-ups. We need men to put down the plastic fork, step away from the salad bar and untie the world from the tracks of complacency.
    "It's time to get your hands dirty. It's time to answer the call of manhood. It's time to WEAR THE PANTS." Your thoughts?
    [SIZE="2"]My thoughts can be summed up like this – ARRRGGGHHH!!!

It sounds like someone at the ad agency doesn’t like the way things are going in the 21st century, or perhaps Levi’s sales are down, and they need to sell more pants in the next quarter. Let’s trot out the scare tactics, blame the demise of masculinity, and draw the battle lines – with PANTS? Funny – if you watch the commercials during football games (and they are numerous, making the actual game superfluous), you’d think nothing was wrong out there – beer, pickups and thick steaks abound, with no mercy for sensitive human beings at all. I mean, I’m sitting there, my legs demurely crossed, watching the Cro-Magnons trying to pick up a yard or two, holding my plastic fork, enjoying my salad and my creamy non-fat latte, wondering when this macho male crap is all going to end. I thought there was light at the end of the tunnel, but now it’s time to “answer the call of manhood?” I answer the call of manhood now and then, but I don’t think we’re talking about the same thing. Can I sit this one out? I have to paint my nails…

Dockers are very unstylish pants. When someone (like David Letterman) says, “Stick it in your pants,” he means Dockers, IMHO. With the Dockers line, Levi Strauss has completely ruined men’s pants, much like the NFL has ruined American football, and MTV has ruined popular music (pardon the mini-rant). Time to WEAR the pants? Why do you think I prefer to wear a skirt, ad boy? I would definitely help the old lady across the street, but I wouldn’t be seen in public wearing Dockers under any circumstances. Doing so would tell the world that I don’t care how I look, which is another way of saying, “I don’t care about myself, so how can I care about you?” Is that a HERO? Is that a “grown-up?” When the adult male gets in touch with his innate sensibilities, he becomes self-aware and compassionate, using communication as a profound tool for understanding others. Such behavior is truly…heroic, but it has nothing to do with pants… [/SIZE]

Levis sold the Dockers label a couple of years ago, they no longer make them. I've had several Dockers shirts that I've liked, wore them mostly for work and a long sleeved black and blue small checked one I really liked but haven't seen for sale for years. But I have never owned a pair of Dockers pants.

They used to be good

Dockers used to be pretty well made. Haven't bought them in a long time. I tend to look alot more at where things are made before I buy. Does anyone else do this. Don't know where Dockers are made but I notice alot more clothes being made in China (like most of Chadwicks stuff). I tend to prefer stuff made in the Americas.

Dockers and where things are made

I pay particular attention to where things come from and make purchase decisions even for long-time parts of my wardrobes. My last few pairs of english made Doc Martens are treasured- as I let Doc Marten know that as a member of the Punk generation I found their outsourcing particularly disgusting and wouldn't be buying their products anymore. Shoes and outerwear made in democracies are really, really tough to find.

Dockers regardless of where they are made are just unstylish and "yech". Heaven help me if I have to wear them for work or something.

Never touched them. I always thought they were kind of "yuppie-ish." Pardon the antique word and apologies to anyone who does wear them.
    I'll keep wearing my jeans when I have to and my skirts when I can.
    Sherrie Lynn Pall

Sometimes I make sense and that frightens me.

Please don't let me be the last post on this thread

i have never associated dockers with the 'real man' persona. rather, they seem to be the most prevalent on men who work in air conditioned offices and dont get their fingernails dirty. perhaps the owners of dockers are confused or lamenting the fact that they are not carhart. they are what the guys who get down and dirty at work wear.
    as far as this campaign goes, it reminds me of the mcdonalds latte series with the guys/girls rejecting coffee houses so they could just stop by mickey d's for a latte. as if they had to sit in the coffee house they find so pretentious just to drink a latte.
    i always find it appalling that these advertising campaigns are based on psychology that unforunately must work or they wouldnt be pouring $$$$$$$$ into it. i will stick with the salad bar and pink underwear on my shapely hiney!!
    Happiness is a choice.

Well........when Dockers were in I wore them all the time. So what's that tell you? uhhh crossdresser? not a real man? sissy boy? docker wearer?
    Last edited by kristinacd55; 12-11-2009 at 05:19 PM. Reason: english editing, were for was....

If they want men to wear "men" pants...Dockers ain't it. Want to see what "men" wear? The NFR is in Vegas this week. Those guys ride 2000 pound Big Macs on the hoof..., they still say Yes Ma'am and No Sir, they hold the doors open, they tip their hat and the only thing on their nails is BS, not one of them had on Dockers.

Seems Dockers made their fortune off the "preppy" look. Now is that a real man?....Yes a Havaad man... a future metrosexual
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Quote Originally Posted by Karren Hutton View Post

Guys should be guys and girls should be girls but that doesn't mean that you can cross-over the fence when ever you want!
    Think you meant to say CAN'T? Carry bolt-cutters and make your own fence easy-access point.

Watch the ads around football games- they focus on a certain knuckle-dragging demographic. The Simpsons once satirized the moronic beer ads: A bunch of guys spot a group of plain-Jane feminist stereotypes. They grab some beer, spray it all over the women, and the women turn into hot babes in skimpy clothes eager to be boy-toys.
    [SIZE="3"]Gender is a state of mind[/SIZE]
    LGBTQ PRIDE
    As of Oct. 5th, go here to see my pics:http://www.flickr.com/people/fab_karen/
    A Yankee Doodle T-Girl
    proud of my President

[SIZE="2"]Now I'm all confused....I think I saw dockers in the ladies department at Walmart the other day???
    [/SIZE]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Susan V. Adams

A hairy dude in a dress Nigella23's Avatar
    The trousers I wear no more define me than the dresses I do, It's simply an advert play on the expression about who wears the trousers. I found it humorous. This contributes to stereotyping as much as buying a pair will contribute to saving society.

Ladies, most men are not CDers. And dockers are not aimed at CDers, they're aimed at those men who want to dress like men. There's no reason to be angry at them for advertising to their target group.