Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blame it on curiosity?

Blame it on curiosity?

I was thinking about dressing and reasons today as I got into a nice outfit for lounging around the house and thought of something from an angle I've never considered before.

I wonder how much of a factor just plain old curiosity was at the start of my dressing? I've always been a very curious person and probably almost drove my parents crazy with the question 'Why?' while growing up.

The more I think back now to my first dressing experiences, the more I recognize that perhaps many of them were driven by a strong sense of curiosity as much as anything else. What are pantyhose made out of? Why do women wear them? How do they feel to wear? What does it feel like to have bra straps on your shoulders and that band across your back? How do women walk in high heels? Can *I* do that? What does it feel like to have earrings dangling from your ears, swinging around as you move your head?

I seriously think that even if I didn't have the urge to crossdress, I would have tried most of these things anyway just to satisfy my curiosity... though they probably would have been a 'one time' thing.

As I finished dressing and stood in my forms, skirt, hose, heels, etc, I realized that most men go through life with NO idea how a skirt feels, or stockings, or any other of these items that only 50% of the population can wear.

One of the results of crossdressing is that I can see a woman wearing pretty much anything and know what it feels like, since I have worn almost all of it myself. I know the feeling of a long sweeping skirt, sheer hose, heels, and even the lacy lingere you see in Victorias Secret adds while to most other men it is just an unknown. I wonder how they THINK it feels or if they even ever think about it. I guess if they thought about it at all, they'd eventually try it and become one of us.

Even as a non-crossdresser, I would have had to know. Just like I 'have' to know and try to understand anything else I run into in life. Curiosity is just such a large part of who I am, I can't imagine NOT having tried dressing at some point, crossdressing or no.
    In a society in which it is a moral offense to be different from your neighbor your only escape is never to let them find out.
    -- Robert Heinlein

I suppose curiosity had a bit to do with my beginnings as well, although it was a short-lived reason for it.
    Once I began it just felt natural to be feminine and I wanted my attire to reflect that. Who knows what other factors were involved, I just know that without it I wouldn't be me.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

One my first venture--trying on one of my mother's girdles--I don't remember it being because of curiosity. It was more like a feeling that I wanted to put on that girdle, that it would feel good, and that it would give me a shape like my mom's. Of course, one could say that that is the same as curiosity, but there was something else moving me to take that step.
    warmly, Linnea

Complex Lolita...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristi
    I wonder how much of a factor just plain old curiosity was at the start of my dressing? As I finished dressing and stood in my forms, skirt, hose, heels, etc, I realized that most men go through life with NO idea how a skirt feels, or stockings, or any other of these items that only 50% of the population can wear.
    [SIZE="2"]Oh, it has a lot to do with curiosity, but where does this curiosity originate? In my case, I became aware of females, observing how they looked, how they dressed, and how they were. The idea of dressing in female clothing came to me slowly – there was no sudden forced transformation, no compulsion born of curiosity, and no overwhelming desire. This was more of an inevitable progression, a side effect of my own sensitivity, as it were. When I tried on a dress for the first time, I had already said “YES” to the idea, making the actual event a foregone conclusion. Was I curious about trying on the dress? Of course, but I knew how good it was going to feel…

I think crossdressing, in most cases, cannot be described as mere “curiosity.” I know what you’re getting at, but how come I don’t try on EVERYTHING out there? Fetishism, involving deep pleasure and worship, is certainly part of it (in my case), but these secretive feelings go back to the original desire to be female. It is a longing or a yearning that is difficult to describe – the emotions are involved, and I’m trying to enhance the experience as much as possible. Why am I still doing this after all these years? Surely the inquisitiveness would have worn off by now…

I agree that most males have no idea what they’re missing, but if you’re not predisposed to the art of dressing and it’s attendant pleasurable benefits, curiosity will lead you nowhere… [/SIZE]

Curiosity may have been somewhat of a contributing factor but my earliest memories are at about age 4-5 of this compelling desire to be a girl. Curiousity may have helped trigger my experimentation with wearing my moms clothes, but I'm sure my path was already set by that time. I wouldn't be surprised to find out it was genetically determined before I was even born!
    Something happens and I'm head over heels.

I've always been curious... I really have no clue what I was thinking but I assume that if I wasn't curious about what was in my mothers closet..... I'd have never had to come out of one... Even so.... I'm still curious.... especially about why everyone is so curious about "why"? Even if you really knew.... Would it change anything going forward?
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Aspiring Member

Curiosity got me started but..

After being caught rifling thru my sisters underwear drawer at the age of 6 or so( she was 13)... she dressed me up and paraded me in front of my parents. I'll never forget the smile on the face of my previously cold and un-loving father. I still believe that was the exact second I became a crossdresser.

I was "Melissa" off and on for most of my youth, all with my mom and dads encouragement.

I don't recall that it was curiosity that made me do it. What I remember is excitement. It was an absolute pleasure.

Early on I don't think I saw the big taboo of it - clothes are clothes. girls are boys, boys are girls, and if the only reason you can give me is boys can't do that - but I just did, so I guess you're wrong.

Then it was more about rebellion - down with the establishment, man! Ooh, boots with heels. I want a pair of boots with heels!

I suppose its still a bit of protest the reasons shift, affordability, better fit, bending is present in some of my pro and social scenes, still the question why is it a taboo?, and a bit of smugness, gall to say I could carry her look off better than she can.

Curiosity definitely had a factor as to why I wanted to try on my mom's stuff when I was little but I'm more with Theresa on this one as it just also just felt right to do and like Tess I remember a lot of excitement about doing it.. Curiosity definitely had a lot to do with exploring more of her exotic pieces though.

I have been curious about a lot of things in my life.

But curiosity wears off pretty quickly, and has never once led to any sort of experience like this. Blame curiosity if that makes you feel better, but curiosity certainly does not fit my experience.
    "I don't mind living in a man's world, as long as I can be a woman in it." — Marilyn Monroe

Curiosity was a large part of my starting to crossdress. I found a pair of my mothers nylons and wondered how they felt, as I put them on the softness of the nylons all the way up my legs was a total thrill. Later I tried on more of her things to find out how they felt, yes curiosity was a large part of my starting to crossdress.
    Cathy

Gold Member
    I guess curiosity was what first compeled me to try on lingerie at an early age, and soon discovered how much I liked it. However, over the years I only ventured into this area on rare occassions....that is until this year. I love the feeling of women's clothes, and hope that never ebbs!

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar

Curiosity? Absolutely!

I was over 50, and tried on those ladies jeans to see what they'd FEEL LIKE!

Later on, came the mirror and the thrills!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Wether we admit it or not we all had to start with some type of curiosity. Maybe wanting to know how it feels, how come girls wear these, or are they hard to walk in. One way or another we all started isn't that curious.
    Put a little lipstick on you'll feel better

What a wonderful idea! I dress only because I was curious. I am wearing this bra only in the interest of science.
    It takes a real man to wear a dress.

TrueNorth Strong & Fierce Princess Chantal's Avatar
    Acting on my curiosity was what started my crossdressing and still plays a major part in my dressing today

[SIZE="3"]i'm good with curiosity as a reason for the first time when i was seven years old......but after that it was what it did for me ~ made me feel ALIVE!![/SIZE]

I'm not sure whether I would call it curiosity or "longing". Most likely the latter. I can remember really wanting to be able to dress as a girl from at least age four. Since then I remember just desperately yearning to be able to express my feminine side. I was never unhappy being a boy, but rather wished I had the ability to switch back and forth at will. From as far back as I can remember, whenever I saw an attractive female I would think "she's pretty, I'd like to be with her"/"wonder what it would be like to wear that" kind of simultaneously. Still do

I think curiosity has lot to do with my cross dressing. I am always curious what I would look like in any outfit be it jeans to mini shirts to dresses to high heels. Curiosity got me started and it still drives me today.

I don't know if I would say it was curiosity or not. When I think back mainly to the first time of 'trying something on', it doesn't feel like it was because I was curious as much as it was that I just wanted to do it-wanted to have it. From that point it just kept getting bigger. I wanted more. Couldn't get enough of it. But, although nervous (due to my age at the time), felt comfortable doing it

Yes curiosity got me going and than the pleasure and comfort of the cloths keeps my dressing going. Now I know when my wife complain's about a poking bra, pantyhoses and high heels. My mind smiles, I know the feeling.

Banned Read only
    "Upstate" NY USA.... Site of the first crash of the "Vin Fiz"
    Curiosity definately played a major role for me.

I grew up in the '50s and had an older and younger sister (no brothers). Early on I wondered how it felt to wear those female clothes.
    So, one day I simply just started to try them on and......I was hooked!

I suppose we all have our own reasons for starting but if I were to blame it on anything it would have to be tenacity more than anything else.

Definitely curiosity started it for me. I had no sisters or brothers to influence me and, until I was about 13, I had no interest or desire to try girls' clothes either. Then I began to notice girls in a different way and was especially curious about what it was like to wear stockings instead of socks. (This was the 1950s when every 12/13 year old girl proudly got her first pair of nylons). I only had my mother's to try and, at first, nothing other than elastic bands to hold them up with. A skirt came next and I enjoyed the freedom for my legs and the smoothness of the stockings against each other. What, I wondered, did those girls I saw on my way to school, use to hold their nylons up? I didn't really know about suspender belts then but I did know my mother wore a girdle and fixed her stockings to suspenders....so I found one of her old girdles....and that was so much better than the elastic bands. And so it went on: curiosity about all the different types of underwear, skirts, dresses, shoes, etc. etc. and it's just the same today.