The longer I live, the more I realize that the MTF TG population is much larger than I had believed. Over the last 10 years my idea on size of the population has continued to increase.

I remember when I was very young and up through my early 40s that I thought I was the only person in the world with such a strong desire to be transgendered. I thought for sure there was something strange about me, and it was my little secret. Then I started to read about others who had similar beliefs and desires as me. Then the internet opened up and whole world of information with it. I realized I was by no means alone and actually part of a much larger population. And even better, it was acceptable, at least in certain environments, to live my life as a transgendered person. I would have never thought that possible 10 years ago.

Now I start to wonder how many there are of us in the general population? I've read some estimates that from 5 to 10 percent of the male population may have some TG tendencies. I have no idea of knowing whether those figures are realistic or not, it may be lower or higher. But it makes me wonder how many other people out there live their lives without being able to understand why they feel TG urges. Or those that don't understand and suppress the feeling. Or even worse, those that have those feelings and don't know any other way of dealing with them than hostility, intolerance or even abuse to others who are TG.

What do you all think about this? Am I way off base here or is there something to this?