Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone been "outed" by this site?

Heroine of Silmaria Elsa von Spielburg's Avatar

Anyone been "outed" by this site?

I ask because I have a gut feeling that it's only a matter of time 'til my mother or younger brother or sister are going to wonder by my laptop one of these days and see this site left up (accidentally of course) or open my favorites to see this site there. I'm curious: has this, or something similar, happened to anyone?

just make it a habbit to erase internet history every time you get up from the computer,,if you dont you will be found out
    Only friends can call me Amy,,, so if your reading this your a friend.

The Band QUEEN Quote " I want to be free"

Use Firefox and set the preferences to erase everything after each session. Rename the bookmark and bury it in folders. Use CCleaner once a week using the 7 Pass option. This will keep you safe. Leaving your laptop open with this page still up will make any other and all precautions pointless.
    Existence is suffering; Life is pain; Nicotine makes everything tolerable

All this because we want to wear a certain type of clothes

It can happen, of course, but in the past I have been pretty careful to delete all cookies, history, etc. in order to avoid just what you're talking about. Now that my family knows, it's a relief not to have to do that.
    You just have to be very careful.
    warmly, Linnea

Yep, firefox with settings to dump everything

Quote Originally Posted by Larissa Philips View Post
    Use Firefox and set the preferences to erase everything after each session. Rename the bookmark and bury it in folders. Use CCleaner once a week using the 7 Pass option. This will keep you safe. Leaving your laptop open with this page still up will make any other and all precautions pointless.
    Not just for this site but it automatically deletes passwords, cookies, etc. It solves many problems other than someone seeing where you have been. As far as a bookmark, this site is the first or second site that comes up in a google search if you do "crossdressers" in plural. You would not even have to keep it bookmarked.

download cccleaner google it. Computer Prof here!

Use Google Chrome and access run in 'Incognito' mode. It won't leave the usual traces of where you've been, among other things. You can also use a password protected screen saver that kicks in after several minutes of inactivity. At the very least, if you walk away, fall asleep, etc with the site up in the browser, there is less chance of someone else hopping on and seeing something you are not prepared to explain. Or you can come out about CDing altogether and not have to worry about such things... (but yeah I'm not ready for that either)

Melanie

Gold Member
    I am with those that use the browser's "safe" mode.

Google Chrome - Use Incognito mode as Melanie says.

Firefox - Have it auto delete as others have said or go to the Tools menu and select "Start Private Browsing" and you don't save any of the garbage.

IE - Under the safety menu, select "InPrivate Browsing". If you are using Windows 7, you can also get this from the task bar. Right click on the IE icon and you will see this option. Extra note, if you right click there and see "Crossdressers.com" you visited the site without being in InPrivate mode and need to clear your history.

All of these assume that you don't leave your laptop up with the webpage showing and with no auto-screen saver. If you do that, you are probably asking to be caught.

We all have our dreams... AmiFL's Avatar

outed

I have not been caught here yet.....and I do not plan to get caught by her. My son walked in once, while I was typing into a thread, but I minimized the screen real quick.

My wife found www.abgender.com on the computer years ago. (I inadvertantly left it as the last browser window and forgot to close it) She still brings up the "perverted" places I go on-line. I could imagine what she would say or do if she saw me here. It would not be pretty I'm sure

No... After what 4 or 5 years here.. Almost daily.. Just don't leave it on and fall asleep at the keyboard. Enfemme... Wearing your moms new dress. Then you'd be toast.
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Silver Member
    Computers are a dangerous thing if you are afraid of people finding out like I am.

I outed myself via email on accident when I was using my computer at home for some work stuff and somehow attached the wrong file - got a call "hey we got your file but....ah, it was not what we were expecting." The lady said "we needed a good laugh" It was gut wrenching, I thought I was going to die that day.

But as for my wife she has since been on this site and knows about the others I lurk on so at least with her I don't worry about it.

Actually, I "outed" the site to my friends when I joined, but I digress.......................
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Aspiring Member
    Why not have a password to activate your computer.

[SIZE="2"]All these ways to stay hidden yet all we want is to be seen!!!
    [/SIZE]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Susan V. Adams

Bunch a sneaky little devils aren't ya.
    "one day I'll fly away..... leave all this to yesterday"

http://youtu.be/kR7NlgwVHHg

Yes, I have. And more often than not it's what happens when the person is so tired of hiding and the effort of it all that they 'accidentally' leave some sort of evidence. It's a way to make a choice with out taking the responsibility for the choice. Often with devestating results, I had one friend who did that and her whole world turned upside down in a second, and there was no going back from that. she learned a lot more about her wife than she ever wanted, and how vicious she could be when emotionaly hurt by my friends choice to just drop this on her. It was very nasty.

That being said, if you really are worried about your privacy? Then take ALL the steps necessary to protect it, and yourself. Remember, give yourself permission to be happy if this make's you happy. And just Breathe.

Quote Originally Posted by kellycan27 View Post
    Devilettes! .
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Heroine of Silmaria Elsa von Spielburg's Avatar
    Heh, I don't think I'll go as far as wiping my history every time. They wouldn't really go poking around like that on my own laptop. I just have a feeling that my absentmindness will lead to having the browser open some time. And honestly, I'm not that dedicated to keeping the secret; if they find out like that, they find out like that.

Create a separate profile on your computer, set your browser to delete all on exit and voila.
    Scottie
    You must dare to disassociate yourself from those who would delay your journey... Leave, depart, if not physically, then mentally.
    Go your own way, quietly, undramatically, and venture toward trueness at last.

-- Vernon Howard

Quote Originally Posted by kellycan27 View Post
    You seem surprised, Kelly. Practice at one thing can be applied to another.

I assume that if anyone wants to know bad enough, or has such little respect for me that they will check to see where I have been, they will find out. And yet some find it easier to hide.
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Well, no and yes. Not directly from this site, but with the confidence and information I've gained here, it's been noted that I know way too much for a guy, and the past 3 Halloweens I've just had too much fun.

Slowly giving away my ( shsss ) [SIZE="1"]secret[/SIZE] , almost to the point of I just don't care who knows what anymore.
    Lead me NOT into temptation
    (I can find my own way)
    I HAVE WALKED THAT MILE IN HER HEELS
    CURTSY to all BOW to [SIZE="3"]NONE[/SIZE]

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...6284/event.png

Blossoming flower
    Ya, I left it open one day last spring. But it is working out. Now I don't have to hide anymore.

Smithy
    On Safari for mac I hit Reset Safari when I'm done and choose everything but passwords. It will auto close all windows and clear the Top Sites feature as well.

I second CCleaner.