Thread: Dressing at work (an experiment)

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar

Dressing at work (an experiment)

This week, my workplace has been officially shut down, but for complicated reasons, I had to work 3 days. Knowing that very few people would be around, I had decided that I would dress distinctly femme while I worked, and that I would move around the building a bit and see how comfortable I was with going over the edge from my usual "not definitely not male" wardrobe.

Note that on these days, I did not wear a wig or any makeup other than some lipstick.

Day 1, I wore an ankle-length denim dress that buttoned from collar to knee, and my size 8 asymmetric forms (E-cup or so) forms. The denim pulled in on the forms rather than flowing around them, and the net effect was a modest bust-line that would not have attracted special attention if it were on a GG. There turned out to be about 30 people at work between the pair of buildings, far more than I expected, so I did worked with my door closed. I chickened out on going down to the vending machines, but I did go to the washroom a couple of times. One of the times that I went to the washroom, I stopped and studied my reflection in the mirror, and decided that Yes, I did feel like I would be moderately comfortable looking like that at work. At the end of the day, my wife came to pick me up, so I put pants on over my dress right at the end of the day... and a moment later, briefly encountered one of the management team. If they had wandered by about 5 minutes earlier, they would have seen me in the hall in my dress. (I think they would have been surprised but not upset... but might have happened to mention something to my boss as just a "curious thing" without thinking about the implications for me.)

Lesson learned from Day 1: if you wear pantyhose and something slit to the knee, then if you work with your feet up on the desk (as I tend to do), then not only will your legs be visually exposed, but they will probably be a little cold too!

Day 2, I wore a white cotton-like top with a bit of a V-neck (I've worn it to work before), with the same bra and same forms, and I wore a long denim skirt, this time with grey microfibre tights that weren't really much thicker than the pantyhose of the day before but were a denser weave. There were even more people in than the previous day, and the cleaners were going to be around, so again I worked with the door closed. I found that without the pressure of the dress to hold things up, that those forms were sagging too much in that bra, so I switched to smaller (C-cup) forms. Again I chickened out on going to the vending machines, but I did again go to the washroom, once near the beginning of my workday and once about an hour from the end of it. When I studied my image in the mirror the latter time, I decided that (partly due to it being a bad hair day), that I would not be as comfortable wearing that particular combination to work: the skirt was fine, but that top was too loose and was too "fly away" to look good, at least with forms. At the end of the day, I took the bus home without changing first, venturing down into the common area with my clothes mostly hidden under a long jacket; another employee did happen to see me briefly, but probably didn't take note that my denim wasn't pants. The way out was past the security desk, but I know that guard wouldn't say anything to anyone even if he did happen to notice.

Lessons learned from Day 2: (1) a Bad Hair Day that exposes your receding hairline can be a downer all day; (2) make sure you wear a bra with enough support; and (3) check out your overall appearance before you go out.

Day 3 I work a black knee-length dress & jacket combination, with a smaller thinner front-closure bra and mid-sized forms (D triangles), and much thicker brown cotton-like tights because of the cold. Fewer people were at work, but a co-worker about 4 doors down was in, so again I worked with my door closed. The dress hung straight down and had no slit and was not stretchy fabric, so the movement of my knees was a bit constrained (but I like wearing those kinds of dresses and skirts), so I didn't put my feet up on the desk and had to sit up straighter -- so the dress promoted healthier work posture! As it was New Years Eve Day, I figured that probably I could openly wander into the common area towards the end of the day, as probably the only person who would see would be someone who knows about (but has never seen) Sandra. But I didn't get around to it as I got lost in my work until my wife called and offered to pick me up. I did check myself out in the bathroom again, though, and felt that I would feel pretty comfortable wearing something like that to work.

Lessons learned from Day 3: (1) if I were to get to the point where I felt wearing a skirt would be acceptable at work, then I would also feel comfortable wearing at least some styles of dresses such as a dress-suit (I don't have much difficulty wearing a plain skirt in public with guy-face; wearing an obvious dress with guy-face is usually harder for me, but not much so if it is a dress-suit); and (2) Yes, I really would like to be able to wear skirts and dresses at work.

Overall result: I did actually get a fair bit of work done, even though no-one really expected me to do more than go through the motions of showing up and doing some light work. The distraction level of having dressed was not especially high, and I could easily see that if I were indeed to wear skirts and dresses and even a visible bust at work, that although the transition period of other people getting accustomed to the idea might involve some unproductive anxiety for me, that I would indeed be able to work and would not spend my days thinking about what I had on. But then I've been wearing borderline or stealth clothes for about 3 1/2 years, and I already knew that (for me) for things like fancy tights, that once you get past the "But what if someone notices?" phase, that such things just become part of your wardrobe, an expression of who you are, not a preoccupation.

Would I do such an experiment again? Yes, I'm sure I would. Indeed, in a way it would have been easier on me if I had felt uncomfortable or easily distracted or had otherwise felt like obvious clothes and work do not mix: instead, I now have the difficulty that I feel that I would dress at work if I felt that the local leader would be accepting (currently I feel that our local leader would resent the ripple of disruption my coming out would cause more than they would care about what I actually wore -- even if it were just a "one day wonder", that would be a day of lowered productivity in difficult times.)
    Last edited by sandra-leigh; 01-01-2010 at 06:12 PM. Reason: restore sentances I missed in original post

Untitled
    Seems you had a good time

Only problem I can forsee, hope you avoided all the security camera's that seem to be everywhere nowadays
    Listen carefully to what is said, quite often you can hear what is not being said

The joy of correcting a mistake can bring pain to another

Quote Originally Posted by Nigella View Post
    Only problem I can forsee, hope you avoided all the security camera's that seem to be everywhere nowadays
    We don't have security cameras in the part of the building I work in, just motion detectors. On Day 2 when I departed, the security desk security camera might hypothetically have recorded a bit of my skirt below the bottom of my jacket, but my recollection is that they are aimed a bit higher than that.

Even if it did get recorded, nothing is going to come of it: it isn't a security problem, so the guards know not to report it. (Especially after I complained in early 2009 about a guard who told me outright to cut my hair after commenting about the length several times: HR and the guard management agreed completely that the guard was out of line.)

Sandra,

Bravo, Can't quite match your skill and courage, did do a bit of underdressing. Sorry, but a short full slip and panties, is the best I could muster, under standard boy slacks and button dress shirt. There it is again, "dress shirt", humm ?

I've done it years ago. Instead of reposting my story and taking up space, go to

http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...ad.php?t=48214

this was in the 1980's before all the security cameras came into being...

hugs Misty

Faith's Girl Kimberly Marie Kelly's Avatar

Smile All I can say Sandra is that

Out..... If 30 people were in the building, some of them saw you for sure, there would be no doubt that some saw you. So what I'm saying is this, if you want to come out at work speak with your HR rep about the dress code. If your just CD and would like to dress at work, many companies have a transgender policy that would allow you to dress as a female, as long as you meet the dress code for women. If your Transsexual I think it's time you consider coming out at work. Just my opinion. Kimberly
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    With Love,
    Kimberly

"Count it pure joy when the world comes crashin
    hold your head up and keep on dancin" MercyMe

I work totally as a woman. HR requires that I follow the dress code for women and that I use female facilities. I have no problems with that and have no issues at all with my co-workers. Talk about a dream come true.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberly Marie Kelly View Post
    Out..... If 30 people were in the building, some of them saw you for sure, there would be no doubt that some saw you.
    I'm positive no-one saw me when I went to the washroom: it is only 2 doors down from my office, and I could see all the office doors and any possible traffic in the corridors. The 30 people were split amongst 2 buildings, and there are multiple floors in the buildings; on Day 1 one of the offices was occupied one of the times I went to the washroom; on the other occasions, no-one was around during my brief strolls.

With my door shut, no-one could see me as I worked. The glass is only enough to be able to tell if the room light is on, and to tell by the changing light whether someone is moving around in the room.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberly Marie Kelly View Post
    So what I'm saying is this, if you want to come out at work speak with your HR rep about the dress code. If your just CD and would like to dress at work, many companies have a transgender policy that would allow you to dress as a female, as long as you meet the dress code for women.
    I checked about 6 months ago and confirmed with HR that the only dress code is that you must wear clothes that are appropriate for the work you do, and that if you are working on something that requires protective clothing then you must wear it. I do not have access to the areas that require protective clothing of any sort, and the kind of work I do is also done by women in a variety of clothes, so there wouldn't be any argument there. As long as I'm not exposing myself (or nearly so): that would fall under the rules about a "hostile workplace environment". There has also been at least one precedent of a cross-dresser in a different part of the company. So HR said it would be okay and that they would manage any objections.

However: a smart employee knows enough not to cause workplace distractions when management is in a bad mood, which our management currently is due to circumstances far far beyond our control.

Sandra: that is a great story and for you a great three days. I would be brave enough today as I'm older and don't care what others think. I don't think I could have done that thirty or forty years ago. My hat is off to you. You go girl
    Put a little lipstick on you'll feel better

Quote Originally Posted by sherri52 View Post
    I would be brave enough today as I'm older and don't care what others think. I don't think I could have done that thirty or forty years ago.

Thanks, but you aren't even a decade older than I am -- and it's easy to be brave behind closed doors where no-one can see.

I did not, by the way, close my door because I was concerned what someone might see of my back as they walked by (I face away from the door): I was more concerned that someone might stop to exchange new years greetings, and then of course I would have been expected to swivel my chair to face them...