Thread: 'Sex, Lies, and Gender'

'Sex, Lies, and Gender'

I watched a National Geographic 'Explorer' program the other night with this title. The subject concerned 'gender variant' individuals. The program was tasteful, had individuals who apparently has 'intersexed' surgery at birth-the show said that 5 or so are done daily nationwide. who knows. A Dr. Tiger DeVore is a therapist who treats those 'inter sexed' individuals.
    It was stated that at least 1% of the overall population is transgendered, but maybe this is a low estimate. I agree.
    discussions about differences in the hypothalmus in TG males who had post mortem brain studies-same as in genetic females. DNA studies indicate less efficient testosterone , less masculine brains. very interesting.

The show mentioned that gender differences are not aberrant, but natural-part of the "Evolution Rainbow" as an author explained about her book about the animal world.
    It was stated that Transgendered are driven by mind, not anatomy. good description of a complex topic.

wow ...i would like to see that!

thnx helen

Hi Helen,
    I missed that one as I usually spot those programs. I hope they re-run the program so we can catch it. Thanks for the heads up.

Teri

:) Post-Op Hippie Chick CharleneT's Avatar
    Hmmm.... sounds very interesting ! They repeat those things pretty frequently, definitely will start to watch for it !

Thank you for the info !
    There is a road—no simple highway—between the dawn and the dark of night.
    And if you go no one may follow. That path is for your steps alone.

it was purely coincidence that I noticed it and recorded it for later viewing. sorry that I didn't know far enough ahead to post this.

Loves ordinary miracles SuzanneBender's Avatar
    Darn I missed it. I was surely watching something important like a Will and Grace Rerun or Project Runway. I will keep an eye out for it.
    See yourself as a soul with a body not a body with a soul" Dr. Wayne Dyer

Have to keep my eyes open for a rerun, or find it on the web.
    Put a little lipstick on you'll feel better