Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fear

Fear

I hesitated to post this but I figured I'd throw it out there anyway. I notice with many folks there is a lot of fear involved with TG and CD issues. While I understand the implications of being "outed" for some, I don't understand the apparent mistrust shown sometimes and the obvious "backing off" when someone extends the hand of friendship or wishes to help. You would think that would not be an issue here but I've been dropped and ignored by many folks for this very reason it seems.

I guess sometimes it is the excitement of meeting a kindred spirit that produces the initial flush and enthusiasm of friendship but then some folks seem to have second thoughts and put it in "reverse" or "park". I never try to push anyone into anything and really my goal is to put others at ease so they can see I'm exactly who I say I am. I will not kiss anyone's backside, however, and just tell them what they want to hear. Anyone who knows me from the Forum knows I sometimes ask deep and/or pointed questions. That is mainly to get folks to think so that when the euphoria wears off we are able to deal with reality and be comfortable with being who we are as a person. I don't go shouting from the rooftops who I am nor do I expect others to do that but am not overly upset if someone finds out and it's not the end of the world one way ot the other.

In any case, as frustrating as all of this can be at times I don't intend to give up but will continue to extend my friendship to others. If nothing else, it gives me more experience with being patient. Being TG tends to make one somewhat cloistered and that seems to be the general nature of the beast for many. We may not be able to allay others' fears entirely maybe but in the long run our efforts can make them feel a bit better and that's not bad I guess.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

I think a lot of people like living in their little bubble and anything outside of that bubble scares them to death. Even if you think you're helping, most folks don't want to hear anything they don't agree with, which is a shame. You are a good person, don't ever stop trying to help people
    Administrator

Missing my Libra babe Sherlyn, I hope she's rocking up there with the angels
    Missing our Rianna, doesn't seem right, gone to early, hope she's partying with Sherlyn

Denise
    I feel pretty much the same way. You and I don't agree on some issues (probably a lot) but I do enjoy your thought provoking posts.

kelly
    Last edited by Tamara Croft; 01-13-2010 at 05:55 PM. Reason: quote removed, no reason for it
    "one day I'll fly away..... leave all this to yesterday"

http://youtu.be/kR7NlgwVHHg

I am scared of friendships as i simply do not know how to handle them, no doubt due to the fact that i have always felt different and always seam to find a way of saying the wrong thing at the wrong times , still i feel that i have only one that really dislikes me (only one you say ) and a few that just prefer to avoid me but i can understand what you are saying and i am sure that you will keep trying as you are that sort of person (open and friendly) so keep it up Denise. ( that's my good version did not dare to put what i really thought as i will leave in my own time) just joking( or am i)
    Last edited by Joanne f; 01-13-2010 at 05:48 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Joanne

Don't give up reaching out, Denise.

Let me give you my perspective.
    I am afraid of making new friends in the CD/TG realm.
    Why you ask?
    Well, this is all very new to me having so many others that are experiencing the same issues, quetions, and feelings as I am. I have been in the closet for over 30 years and haven't had anyone to talk to about this. As a matter of fact, I have just started to come to terms and feel comfortable with who I really am.

I have spent the majority of my life either trying to escape or hide my feminine side. Now others want to help me embrace it? Sounds exciting, but it's all happening so fast. Now I have new questions. Am I really as okay with myself as I thought? Will I be able to open up far enough to trust others with this when I can barely trust myself?
    What will my family think of my spending time with new friends that they haven't, and most likely won't, meet? I've always been a bit of a loner with few friends. My wife will have questions about new friends.

So, you see, it's not necessarily a problem with you or your offer of friendship. Those you're reaching out to may be having trouble getting to that level yet.

Love and hugs!

Quote Originally Posted by kellycan27 View Post
    Denise
    I feel pretty much the same way. You and I don't agree on some issues (probably a lot) but I do enjoy your thought provoking posts.

kelly
    Even if we don't agree on a lot of things, I have a lot of respect for you Kelly and your feelings on things.Don't ever think differently. I guess it's because we are both our own person and that goes a very long way with me. Even if we agree to disagree, I think that is cool my friend.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Pausing To Femme-flect melissacd's Avatar
    Denise,

It is the nature of our world. You are a good person and a good friend. The problem is that many cross dressers are so deep in the closet and fearful that they jump at their own shadow. Nothwithstanding this response from some, it is good that you persevere because you do ask thought provoking questions, you are helpful to others, you are a good listener, you are a good person and you are a good friend - never doubt any of this.

Huggs
    Melissa
    What stop do I get off at? Hmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by Denise Rhodes View Post
    Even if we don't agree on a lot of things, I have a lot of respect for you Kelly and your feelings on things.Don't ever think differently. I guess it's because we are both our own person and that goes a very long way with me. Even if we agree to disagree, I think that is cool my friend.
    Ditto! way cool

Kel
    "one day I'll fly away..... leave all this to yesterday"

http://youtu.be/kR7NlgwVHHg

As one of the first people that I met personally on the forum, I say go girl. Like you said, some people are afraid to make contact, but in the long run they are the losers.
    Sorry I couldn't meet up with u last week, hope it was fun and we'll get together soon.

Quote Originally Posted by LisaKarenAZ View Post
    Don't give up reaching out, Denise.

Let me give you my perspective.
    I am afraid of making new friends in the CD/TG realm.
    Why you ask?
    Well, this is all very new to me having so many others that are experiencing the same issues, quetions, and feelings as I am. I have been in the closet for over 30 years and haven't had anyone to talk to about this. As a matter of fact, I have just started to come to terms and feel comfortable with who I really am.

I have spent the majority of my life either trying to escape or hide my feminine side. Now others want to help me embrace it? Sounds exciting, but it's all happening so fast. Now I have new questions. Am I really as okay with myself as I thought? Will I be able to open up far enough to trust others with this when I can barely trust myself?
    What will my family think of my spending time with new friends that they haven't, and most likely won't, meet? I've always been a bit of a loner with few friends. My wife will have questions about new friends.

So, you see, it's not necessarily a problem with you or your offer of friendship. Those you're reaching out to may be having trouble getting to that level yet.

Love and hugs!
    i feel the same as you do and i think the only person that will be able to really help would be a therapist

Psyco Roller Derby Doll. Katesback's Avatar
    This is the internet. Anyone can be anything they want to be. I like to say I am transSpecies and that I am in transition to becomming a zebra. I then say I have my stripes but am looking for SRS to get the correct zebra parts.

What I am getting at is I suspect a numbrer of people probably are nothing more than voyers, admirerers, or whatever.

Katie

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar

Remember the, "Don't ask, don't tell", rule, Denise?

Being a total "guy" until my 50's, I've gotten used to that rule! Guys don't tend to discuss deep, personal feelings with other guys! And, I can't think of ANYTHING more personal than my dressing!

During my first year here, a few members wanted to meet me. I'm sorry to say, I pushed them away! I had NEVER met a CD to that point. Back then, I felt a certain "ICK" factor, when I thot about meeting another CD in person!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Making a life for Tina! suchacutie's Avatar
    Is it as simple as the fact that some do not want to expand the circle of confidents, no matter who they may be? irl that is.

tina

We all have our own thought process. We may not agree with each other in some of our thinking but the truth be told. We are who we are. No one can take that away from you and maybe just maybe you will get someone to see something your way
    Put a little lipstick on you'll feel better

Gold Member
    TG people can be hard to deal with. I have had a few over the years that I would hang out with or talk to on a regular basis but people come and go.

It does seem like making good friends in the community would be easier though. The TG thing is one less obstacle, a sister is never going to ask why you shave yoru legs or wear girl pants.

I just think the mentalities of a lot of TG makes things hard. They don't want to be outed by association or period or whatever. Or yeah just being afraid

I admit I am not the best at hanging onto friendships. Like some folks, yes I was the odd kid out often or the one getting laughed at or picked on, and it just kind of got to the point where even if it hurts, I am more-less used to having to entertain myself.

For being in the TG community in real life, I used to be into it a lot more. I have seen about all kinds of TG, and some of them are flat out scary. The first ones I knew scared me but I kept on trying. I can't imagine if some new to the scene TG was out trying to make friends and getting torn apart by some of the clubber TG out there who are really messed up.

People just come and go and no one really gives a poop.
    It takes a true Erin to be a pain in the assatar.

Maybe people just want to move at their own pace or focus on issues of their own choosing. Sometimes they just want to be listened to, not "fixed."

Quote Originally Posted by joanne f View Post
    I am scared of friendships as i simply do not know how to handle them, no doubt due to the fact that i have always felt different and always seam to find a way of saying the wrong thing at the wrong times , still i feel that i have only one that really dislikes me (only one you say ) and a few that just prefer to avoid me but i can understand what you are saying and i am sure that you will keep trying as you are that sort of person (open and friendly) so keep it up Denise. ( that's my good version did not dare to put what i really thought as i will leave in my own time) just joking( or am i)
    I can relate. this was probably me as a teenager and early 20's. Still not the most confident, outgoing person but, I do make friends easier now.

For the original question, I am only in a REALLY outgoing mode a few times a year. Otherwise, I tend not to be too adventurous meeting new people. I already have a circle of friends I am having rouble keeping up with since I live an hour away from most of them. Some month I hope to make a meeting of the one Indy group but, I would probably appear to be one of your "with-drawn" people, even if I had a great time meeting them. I don't even attend all the social dances I want to, let alone other things.

Brina

I've had numerous online contacts asking if I wanted to meet, and other times asked if I would like to go to CD meetings. My problem: I don't trust males. I was abused by a male, beaten by many others, and in my friendships with men I was often lied to and taken advantage of. So despite the outer 'feminine shell' here, I know that inside, what I am dealing with is just another male. It's nothing personal; I've just had too many bad experiences with men, and many were caused by innate male competitiveness. Fear? While in general, I'm no longer physically afraid of anyone, I don't see any reason to risk exposing myself to either verbal or physical abuse if I don't have to.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Space Princess jessikasummerfox's Avatar
    Because there is so much stigma attached to MtF crossdressing, I think it's only natural to be cautious. Sometimes, there is a lot of real world consequences to opening up to someone. Consequences that you aren't necessarily ready for, or equipped to handle.

I can appreciate a kind person with a sincere willingness to help. The right word and gesture can be very touching. But I may not be willing to take that risk of trust just yet, for a variety of complicated emotional reasons. I can appreciate that the people here have worked hard to make crossdressers.com a safe place, but some people just may not be there just yet. It's certainly not personal.
    Jessika!

Well we just do our best to encourage others- at least we have planted seeds that may someday grow & blossom.
    [SIZE="3"]Gender is a state of mind[/SIZE]
    LGBTQ PRIDE
    As of Oct. 5th, go here to see my pics:http://www.flickr.com/people/fab_karen/
    A Yankee Doodle T-Girl
    proud of my President

Is it just me or......... Carroll's Avatar
    When it comes to fear, I always seam to have a song that comes to my mind.
    The Weapon By Rush
    We've got nothing to fear...but fear itself
    Not pain, not failure, not fatal tragedy
    Not the faulty units in this mad machinery
    Not the broken contacts in emotional chemistry

With an iron fist in a velvet glove
    We are sheltered under the gun
    In the glory game on the power train
    Thy kingdom's will be done

And the things that we fear are a weapon to be held against us...

He's not afraid of your judgment
    He knows of horrors worse than your Hell
    He's a little bit afraid of dying
    But he's a lot more afraid of your lying

And the things that he fears are a weapon to be held against him...

Can any part of life be larger than life?
    Even love must be limited by time
    And those who push us down that they might climb
    Is any killer worth more than his crime?

Like a steely blade in a silken sheath
    We don't see what they're made of
    They shout about love, but when push comes to shove
    They live for the things they're afraid of

And the knowledge that they fear is a weapon to be used against them...
    Drumming, My other hobby

Pausing To Femme-flect melissacd's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Anne66 View Post
    Maybe people just want to move at their own pace or focus on issues of their own choosing. Sometimes they just want to be listened to, not "fixed."
    These are excellent points Anne...!

In terms of the ...moving at your own pace...and I am sure that this is a typical story to what others experience. I started dressing at 10 years old. I came out to my first wife before we were married and while she accepted, she did not like it. I Came out to second wife after 15 years together. She freaked out and was never the same after that. It took 10 years after that disclosure to finally end the relationship. During the last two years together I started to go out in public to events organized by a local support group. During the last two years that I have been separated I have gone from dabbling to living almost full time femme.

My pace was slow in the first 48 years but has really picked up speed and momentum in the last few. Sometimes it is easy to forget that there was once a time in my life when fear reigned supreme. But like anything, when you try a step and nothing bad happens you learn that the fear was overblown. I had a great fear of those reaching out and offering friendship and help. It took quite a while before I was willing to meet other cross dressers face to face - but in the end I did and all went well and it was one of the best things tat I did to move my evolution along.

Each at their own pace, each with a different set of goals, each with a different level of risk tolerance.

It is easy to think that everyone else within the community is the same. In wanting to mentor others it is easy to want to try and fix (a masculine behaviour) rather than just listen (a feminine behaviour).

Thanks for pointing this out. Point well taken.

Melissa
    Last edited by melissacd; 01-14-2010 at 07:42 AM.
    What stop do I get off at? Hmmm...

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    I am someone who needs to take things slowly with regard to friendship. I guess in part this is due to past hurts, but I don't like to push people away once I have begun to offer them my friendship.

I feel that it is a good thing that you don't just tell people what they want to hear - that goes for Nicole too. Someone once said that friends will be there to encourage you, but only your true friends will warn you before you do something that will cause you grief in the long term.

I know sometimes it can be frustrating, but don't give up on offering the hand of friendship, there are those of us who appreciate you and we probably don't tell you often enough.
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity

Gold Member
    I understand what you're saying Denise, and it is an issue of patience with many people. Some tend to build a wall around themselves when it comes to meeting someone new, and often it's a hard wall to knock down. I don't think it's a reflection on the people who are extending a hand in friendship. I think it's more a condtion from past experiences or they're just very shy. In any case, I think given time, people eventually open up. For me, I love meeting new people. In fact, I have met a few from this forum and had a wonderful time with them. My propblem is meeting someone enfemme. I'm like a scared rabbit who's peeking her nose out of the den for the first time. It feels exciting, but still very scary, so the times I have met others, it's been in drab mode, or I just backed out of the meeting all together, and I always regret doing so. I know it would have been a great experience. One day I'll "man-up" (so to speak) and get myself out there. I'm getting closer, but there's still a wall or two to break down!!

Because of people like you, Denise, and many others (some of whom have already responded to your post), I have gained insight, confidence, and understanding about myself and about the transgendered world.
    I came into this feeling very excited but cautious. I have been grateful for the comments and discussion, the offers of support, and the encouragement. Sometimes these were directed and offered toward me; at other times, the discussion was broader and other-directed. I felt that I gained from almost all of it. I feel that even more so now because you and others have persisted in LISTENING and RESPONDING TRUTHFULLY and EXPRESSING OPINIONS THOUGHTFULLY.
    My long experience had been secretive and obsessively cautious because I was fearful of exposure. Though I have now come out to close family and a few friends, I am still very careful.
    But I have grown to appreciate the administrative staff on this forum, the friends I have made, and the community members like yourself who have persisted.
    Thank you.
    warmly, Linnea