Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Head still in the sand

Head still in the sand

after finally updating my avatar, I wonder why it is so hard to present a facial image on ones avatar? I suppose the inability to apply makeup, fear of observant wife seeing unremoved makeup-women are super astute on stuff like this when they already harbor 'suspicions', unwillingness to spend $50-100 for a professional to apply makeup so you don't look like a clown, maybe just not thrilled with your facial features-few have that sweet Oriental rounded face-, or fear of being exposed-as if 'normal' people scrutinize posts to 'find us'. For me, all of the above. If you are still 'shy' what is your reason?

Just finding my way.... StaceyJane's Avatar
    It took me a long time to get to where I could post this avatar. First I had one of the cartoon ones. Then one where I'm hidden behind sunglasses but now I have one I really like. It shows my face and my sexy legs.
    Stacey

I'm not a doctor, I just play one on TV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wob7zmvVTb8

I just don't have any photos!

But I hope to change that sooner rather than latter!
    Mina Lost aka Lynda

in the begining it had to do with my neighbors showing up at all hours, if I was dressed I would just put a robe or cover up on... but make up? I think i would have raised more eyebrows if I opened the door with a paper bag on my head to hide the make up. Of course I eventually STOPPED ANSWERING THE DOOR AFTER 8PM! That fixed it. But , honestly, you do what you have to do to keep the boundaries that keep you safe. Carol

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by helenr View Post
    or fear of being exposed-as if 'normal' people scrutinize posts to 'find us'.
    I don't know about 'normal' people (what's normal anyhow?), but I first encountered this site while searching for information for a purchase I was thinking of. Unfortunately I do not recall now what I was searching for, but my meta-recollection is that I was not using cross-dresser specific keywords (e.g., might have been something about pantyhose.) The MTF members here are more likely to study items of clothing, so someone searching for information on that clothing are more likely to encounter a hit here than on most other sites. (On the other hand, we're less likely to immediately pull back when we see what the site is about.)

I have learned through experience that I am quite recognizable no matter how I dress; I have also learned that very few people are surprised to learn that I cross-dress. Thus unfortunately I do not have either of the traditional escape routes, neither "Surely no-one would recognize you dressed", nor "Surely no-one would believe it was you."

But beyond that... my cross-dressing is more experiential, more about how I feel about it, something internal; pictures of me aren't too important to me. For example in our local club newsletter, if there is no picture of me, I may get a bit disappointed, but from the perspective of having been "left out", not because of how I look. e.g., a few months ago I was the exemplar of "What Not To Wear", and I was as pleased to appear that way as I would be to appear in finery.

Here's how a I solved a few of your delemas when I first started out and was just as scared as you:
    1) Told wife outright so I didn't have to worry about her finding out on her own. (Somehow they always do - and then s..t hits the fan)
    2) Had a free make-over done at one of the make-up stores in town when they first opened and very few customers. Sans lipstick and wore sunglasses out of the store. When I got home I applied lipstick and changed.
    3) Was able to comr to the realization that your so called "normal" people don't really cruise this site. People that do cruise the site are doing so for the same reason we do. They're interested in this lifestyle and can end up being great friends. (If people want to find "dirt" on you - they will. Hiding doesn't stop it, just prolongs the inevitable in most cases)
    4) I think you should reconsider your assesment that round Oriental faces are the top pick here. Beautiful women have all shapes. Tell Miss Universe 2009 her face just isn't gonna cut the mustard.
    Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by helenr View Post
    after finally updating my avatar, I wonder why it is so hard to present a facial image on ones avatar? I suppose the inability to apply makeup, fear of observant wife seeing unremoved makeup-women are super astute on stuff like this when they already harbor 'suspicions', unwillingness to spend $50-100 for a professional to apply makeup so you don't look like a clown, maybe just not thrilled with your facial features-few have that sweet Oriental rounded face-, or fear of being exposed-as if 'normal' people scrutinize posts to 'find us'. For me, all of the above. If you are still 'shy' what is your reason?

What if you DO want to look like a clown?

Yeah, I think my wife actually took that picture, too.

"Hating your face" I can relate to, because I did for a long time. It's another expression of self-loathing.

If you hate your face, do you fix your face, or fix your hate? I like my face nowadays, both of them, through some magic or other. I don't know how that happened, but it did, and it was somehow related to this whole 'self acceptance' thing we do.

I think it's also the paranoia that someone, (by astronomical chance) is going to go "I recognize you, Chuck, lolz."

As if that person wasn't here for a reason. There's always that comeback, huh? "What were you doing here then?"
    Last edited by Wen4cd; 01-14-2010 at 02:27 PM.
    And so we go, on with our lives...
    We know the Truth, but prefer Lies.
    Lies are simple, simple is Bliss.
    Why go against tradition, when we can admit defeat,
    Live in Decline, be the victim of our own design?

Took me like 5 minutes to post my first photo. But then again hiring a female stunt double to take photos of give awesome results though is a bit on the expensive side!!
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

helenr, if you are in the closet, then makeup is tricky. As you say, leftover traces could be a real problem. But then I would suggest that if you are not 'out' to your nearest and dearest, putting up a photo on a site like this is not a top priority.
    As regards people surfing the site and seeing you, I don't see this as a problem. For one thing, people who are not in the transgender community are really not going to spend a lot of time reading this site. It's not that interesting if you are not involved in CDing in some way. And for another thing, most of us who post mug shots do not look much like our male alter egos.
    [SIZE="2"]Always be true to yourself because the people who matter don’t mind, and the people who mind don’t matter.[/SIZE]

The best of both worlds Kathi Lake's Avatar
    Right there. To your left. No, your LEFT! Yes, that's it. Hi.
    My issue is that I'm not bright enough to think of the consequences of posting pictures.

If you do a Google search of crossdresser Utah, you'll find plenty of pictures of me. As I sid in my photo album on my profile, ". . . maybe I want to get caught."

Kathi

Maybe getting caught is part of the fun, also who's really going to notice you unless they are a CD'er too. Practising applying makeup is fun, just go for it.

Duchess of Eyeliner Erica2Sweet's Avatar
    Life is too short to be shy and timid...

Pausing To Femme-flect melissacd's Avatar
    You may eventually work your way through all of these concerns to a point where you can post a picture. Do it when and if you are ready.
    What stop do I get off at? Hmmm...

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar

Just LUCKY, I guess!

I had been dressing wearing masks EVERY TIME for 10 years! BEFORE I came out of my closet online here!

So, hiding my face has NEVER been an issue!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

It part of the compromise with my wife. She made me promise not to put any pictures on the internet. I want to keep the relationship, so I don't post any pictures. She is barely tolerant, and not accepting and is afraid someone else might find out.

Banned Read only
    I had a full body shot including my face as my avatar...for about 30 seconds. Then I chickened out and thought of the far fetched possibility that my wife may someday stumble on this sight and see my face. Much too risky....

I like my avatar, if you want to see my face see my home page. Its open to everyone
    Put a little lipstick on you'll feel better

Aspiring Member
    I have the perfect solution to the avatar dilemma. I don't know how to post my picture there. A few months ago I finally figured out how to post pictures of my new hairdo. I don't have enough time to figure out how to put my picture over there. Heck, I don't even know how to put a cartoon picture over there. I guess you could say that I am a dumb blond even though my hair color is dark brown. Leanne

Quote Originally Posted by Kathi Lake View Post
    My issue is that I'm not bright enough to think of the consequences of posting pictures.

If you do a Google search of crossdresser Utah, you'll find plenty of pictures of me. As I sid in my photo album on my profile, ". . . maybe I want to get caught."

Kathi
    I just tried it for crossdresser denver and there was my picture. Surprise Surprise. You can't even find a picture of me in male mode, but you can find one of Michelle.

I guess I wasn't too smart either.
    Michelle

kathi you were on the frontpage for crossdresser eldersburg =P

I used to hide behind sunglasses. Then I posted a better picture and all was happy
    removed

I am shy and timid on my other life but here I am somehow more bold. My first avatar was a virtual image of myself I still don't know much about makeup but still decide to show my true self

I'm an artist.
    That being said, I'm never satisfied with my avatar. The tint is kind of bluish because daylight blue color 250 watt photo floods don't work with digital cameras....and my skin looks red. The dress I'm wearing is actually a plum purple. My camera picture quality gradually deteriorated, then died completely, which is why I'm buying a new one this weekend.
    Plus, I think I'm ugly.
    All I ever wanted to do was be a face to the words you are reading.

Thanks for the thoughtful replies. Re the Oriental reference, I recognize that there are many stunningly beautiful women who have angular faces-Sophia loren comes to mind as one. Yet, I sincerely believe that the Thai, for example, with the combination of shorter height, rounded face, far less facial hair-really assist them as far as blending in goes. Look at the world famous Thailand Katoye (mispelled, but I am lazy tonight) with their beauty pagentsand stunning outcomes.
    I think that I will try to get a skilled beautician help me for a face 'make over'-but not easy to find. I tried to list on Craigslist or follow up a listing for one who offes this service, but the 'weirdness' component must have turned them off. Too bad that, to some, any sort of enquiry like this must be associated with bad things-like maybe sexual assault-hardly what a transgendered person on hormones is likely to be interested in!

Complex Lolita...
    Quote Originally Posted by helenr
    If you are still 'shy' what is your reason?
    [SIZE="2"]Because I like being shy, period. You see what I choose to show you, and there’s precious little of that, since I’m not here to show myself…[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Wen4cd
    I think it's also the paranoia that someone, (by astronomical chance) is going to go "I recognize you, Chuck, lolz."
    As if that person wasn't here for a reason. There's always that comeback, huh? "What were you doing here then?"
    [SIZE="2"]It’s comforting to know that I’m in the last place anyone would think to look for me. It also helps to…ahem…not know anybody.
    People barely know me here, for crying out loud, and those that do are red-shifted, i.e. moving away from me at tremendous speed…
    Oh, I didn’t mean you, Wen…[/SIZE]

trying not to make waves

I've had some feedback from CDs who don't like seeing a handlebar and a dress on the same person. Here, I guess I am unnecessarily secretive, I also post a lot on flickr, usually in GG fashion groups, so I do the trick of holding the camera in front of my face, or just photoshopping the mouth out. Trying to blend in and promote the fashion fun without visually screaming that I deserve special attention. I am continually surprised that I get nice comments from GGs, invitations to post, inclusions in galleries... I think a lot of them don't notice. Anyone could go to my profile and get the correct information--apparently they're not concerned. I'm certainly not beautiful like some CDs. Just a 'Fatshionista' showing off my favorite outfits.

Lainie

You're only young once, but you can be immature forever!