Thread: Role Reversal: Teenager and her CD "Stepmom" Go Shopping

Role Reversal: Teenager and her CD "Stepmom" Go Shopping

I am a GG and am involved with different groups in the GLBT community as an ally so I have many friends who are Transgender. My teenage daughter Karen comes with me to many events and meetings so she also has many friends in the community. Karen refers to one of our TS friends as her “grandmother” and she refers to one of our CD friends as her “stepmom”. Here is something that happened last summer with my daughter and her “stepmom”:

This past summer, Karen (my teenage daughter who refers to Miss Jessica as her stepmom) and Jessica went shopping together while I was at work. Karen is pretty much a tomboy and she doesn’t enjoy shopping. She is kind of like a guy in this respect, where Jessica epitomizes typical girl-like behavior when it comes to shopping. (She is proud to tell you how much she saved but always neglects to mention how much she spent!!! And yes, apparently, a girl does need one of everything in every color, just ask her!!! I tell Jessica that she needs a closet the size of a Wal-Mart to hold everything!) LOL

Karen and Jessica went to several stores “just to look”. After about the second store, Karen started to wonder if it was time to go home yet. Jessica is always oblivious to these types of comments when she’s in full shopping mode so Karen just started following Jessica around trying to appear bored (just like a guy does with a girl).

Karen lost track of how many stores they had been in. At one of the stores, Jessica had a large armful of clothes to try on – well, Karen said “thousands” of things to try on. Knowing Jessica, “thousands” is possible but I think Karen was exaggerating this time. Jessica insists that there was only about 6 different items. Anyway, Karen followed Jessica to yet another dressing room and found a chair to sit in. She had brought a book with her to read (she knew she'd be there for a while).

Sitting across from her at the dressing rooms was a guy waiting on his wife who also had a large amount of articles to try on. When Karen glanced up at him, he gave her the customary “guy” head nod! She nodded back. Karen said it was like a bond of sorts - they both understood each other, they were both there, waiting on their girl who was going to be in the fitting room for a while and they were both just waiting to leave. Karen is so proud! She thinks that this event almost earned her a guy-card!

By the time I got home from work, Karen was complaining about how many stores they had gone to, how tired her feet were, and how Jessica takes an “eternity” in dressing rooms. Jessica, on the other hand, was very anxious to show off all of the new things she bought (remember, she was just going to “look”) and of course, how much she saved! Girls!

Hugs to all!
    ~Carrie~
    "So I'll be holding my breath, right up 'til the end; Until that moment when, I find the one that I'll spend forever with."
    Nickleback "Gotta be somebody"

Peak Area Gender Expressions (PAGE: TG support group) is on Facebook.

~Carrie~
    Facilitator of PAGE & SO/Family Support Group; Event Organizer for Mile High Transgedered Meet-up

Quote Originally Posted by Carrie View Post
    Sitting across from her at the dressing rooms was a guy waiting on his wife who also had a large amount of articles to try on. When Karen glanced up at him, he gave her the customary “guy” head nod! She nodded back. Karen said it was like a bond of sorts - they both understood each other, they were both there, waiting on their girl who was going to be in the fitting room for a while and they were both just waiting to leave. Karen is so proud! She thinks that this event almost earned her a guy-card!~Carrie~
    A fun post, Carrie! Thanks!

I'm not sure, but I think you have to do some more stuff before you can earn a guy card -- like you gotta look proud when you belch and you gotta pee your initials into the snow.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

That is too funny and I'm sure they both had a great time.

Gold Member
    That IS too funny Carrie. Talk about a role reversal huh? I bet your daughter and Jessica were cute together walking around the mall, with reverse gender roles. Thanks for sharing. Also, I appreciate your activity in the GLBT community and especially Karen's enthusiasm in attending some meetings with you. Both of you are to be admired.
    Last edited by Miranda09; 01-15-2010 at 08:31 AM.

Gold Member
    So Karen never said "I'll be waiting for you in the car" and went and took a nap?

Fun story!

What a cute story. Thanks for sharing.

ChanDelle

Very Part Time Girl Melissa Anne's Avatar
    Carrie,
    That is a cute story. Thanks for sharing and for your support.
    Melissa Anne, PPTG
    (Professional Part Time Girl)

Quote Originally Posted by Persephone View Post
    A fun post, Carrie! Thanks!

I'm not sure, but I think you have to do some more stuff before you can earn a guy card -- like you gotta look proud when you belch and you gotta pee your initials into the snow.
    LOL! Sometimes Karen is proud of her belches but she isn't built right to pee her initials in the snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Sue View Post
    So Karen never said "I'll be waiting for you in the car" and went and took a nap?

Fun story!
    Karen didn't do that with Jessica but she has done that with me sometimes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miranda09 View Post
    Talk about a role reversal huh? I bet your daughter and Jessica were cute together walking around the mall, with reverse gender roles. Thanks for sharing. Also, I appreciate your activity in the GLBT community and especially Karen's enthusiasm in attending some meetings with you. Both of you are to be admired.
    Come to think of it, Karen was in jeans and a t-shirt and Jessica was in a short skirt and a cute top. So, to look at them or listen to them, one would have to wonder... If anyone read Jessica, that must have been confusing.

Hugs!
    ~Carrie~
    "So I'll be holding my breath, right up 'til the end; Until that moment when, I find the one that I'll spend forever with."
    Nickleback "Gotta be somebody"

Peak Area Gender Expressions (PAGE: TG support group) is on Facebook.

~Carrie~
    Facilitator of PAGE & SO/Family Support Group; Event Organizer for Mile High Transgedered Meet-up

Great story Carrie, Thanks for sharing that.
    my sister's reply when I told her how I prefer to dress

"Everyone has there thing, all that matters is that you are happy, love what you do and who you do it with"

Awwwww... that's warm and fuzzy. I enjoy stuff like this, kids these days are so awesome!
    Of course I am biased having several young people that I'm close to, but I think we're going to hear a lot more tales such as this in the future.

This story is reaffirming that love is, indeed, all you need. (Thanks John & Paul!)

LOL! Sometimes Karen is proud of her belches but she isn't built right to pee her initials in the snow.
    They make devices for that. They even had one on the 'news' on Top Gear a few years back... a little roll up of rubber sheeting. Sold for the benefit of woods campers. (versus caravan campers, which I don't consider 'real' camping)
    One may tolerate a world of demons for the sake of an angel. - Reinette, Doctor Who: The Girl In The Fireplace

Persephone didn't say it had to be legible (sort of like the signature pads on the electronic credit card machines...who knew when we had those gray pads as kids that you could write on then peel up, we were really practicing?). Maybe put that on the list before all our snow is gone.
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,