Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How old when you told SA your shopping for you?

Just another 'Gurl'

How old when you told SA your shopping for you?

I was 21 I believe when I first told a sales assistant that I was buying lingerie for me. Prior to this I always told the SA I was buying for my "GF." I am now in my mid 30s. So how old were you, when you first told an SA you were buying clothing/makeup for you.
    Just another man in a dress

23, seeing as i just did it for the first time 2 weeks ago

Loves ordinary miracles SuzanneBender's Avatar
    I was an old coot, but now you couldn't pay me not to tell them.

They are either very helpful once I do or I get a real bang out of there surprised reaction.
    See yourself as a soul with a body not a body with a soul" Dr. Wayne Dyer

Girlygirl Tomboy Wannabee Toni_Lynn's Avatar
    I was 25 . And I must admit -- I did it primarily for the shock value and bit of erotic thrill

It was 1983 and did the whole deal with an SA in some trendy store where I tried on and bought a yellow jumpsuit and accessories cause I wanted to dress like the girls in Banarama. I wason lunch from work, so I was in guy mode -- well -- with panties

*sigh* -- oh to be 25 again!

Huggles

Toni-Lynn
    Attached Images Attached Images
    --I'm TN (transnationalist) - a Canadian born in an American's body! I stand on guard for thee!

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty Sue View Post
    I was 21 I believe when I first told a sales assistant that I was buying lingerie for me. Prior to this I always told the SA I was buying for my "GF." I am now in my mid 30s. So how old were you, when you first told an SA you were buying clothing/makeup for you.
    I bought a dress when I was 19, and didn't try it on first (too nervous and self-conscious). Unfortunately, it was a bit too small. I returned it for store credit ($35 or so in 1997), and the SA said in a non-condescending way "Was it wrong size for who you bought it for?". I just said: "Yes, it didn't fit me". She didn't bat an eyelash, and said "Don't worry hon, next time just ask to try it on first--it's OK! You need a dress that fits you". So I exchanged it for one just like it that was two sizes bigger, and tried that one on first. I asked the SA to wait for me at the fitting room to get her opinion. She said I looked great and that the color of the dress was a good color for me. A very positive experience! Unfortunately, the store went out of business a few years later due to the economy.

Twenty four when I first admitted it was for me. Prior to that if I was asked I just said it was a gift. Never brought it back if it didn't fit until then either.
    Put a little lipstick on you'll feel better

I don't remember exactly. I sort of slowly transitioned from buying for a fictional girlfriend, to just being vague on the details to actually saying it was for me, to now where I actually solicit their help or opinions on stuff.

I also somewhere stopped doing stuff like hiding skirts between two men's shirts on hangers when going to the dressing room. At stores where you put the stuff that you don't want on a rack in the fitting area rather than back on the shelves, I used to get a little chuckle at imagining the face on the SA when she'd go to that rack after I walked away and found a skirt. Now that I've tried on enough skirts I think their reaction was probably always just "ok, got to put this away."
    -------------------------------------------------
    ~Riley
    Check out my trans themed standup on YouTube!

My Tumblr Blog

Quote Originally Posted by SuzanneBender View Post
    I was an old coot, but now you couldn't pay me not to tell them.

They are either very helpful once I do or I get a real bang out of there surprised reaction.
    I didn't get the courage to even go shopping until I was an old coot.But now I couldn't agree more with Suzanne. So many dresses etc,so little time !!

None of the above!

When I started out in the pre-internet days, I'd order from the Sears or Penny's catalog. Then I got introduced to the real world by a bolder and more experienced T-girl friend.

From then on, I started buying my girl stuff only when en femme. So I can't remember ever buying femme garb in boy mode.

Aspiring Member
    I was 16 when I bought my first clothes, it was just a small shop and the SA realised straight away that I was shopping for myself. I bought quite a lot of items over the next year and was always allowed to try them on first.
    Needing to be the Real Me.

Aspiring Member
    When I bought a dress 15 years ago, I acted like it was for my gf. Except that I've never had a GF.

I think if I did it again, I would still pretend it was for my nonexistant GF.

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    It hasn't happened for me yet. It's not that I'm not ready, but it's never come up when I've been shopping. I'll let you know when it does, it ought to be good for a story.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

Platinum Member

I Sure Hope So

Hi Ktty Sue
    I never realy told them but when one of them would
    say something like do you think that will fit you or that
    will look good on you or do you think you can walk in them.
    I would just say I sure hope so.

Orchid

I think the SAs always know lol. I remember being open about it when I was about 19. It was nice to not have to lie about it and to be able to use the fitting rooms and stuff! Well worth it!

I was 21 at the time. I decided I wanted to buy a bra and a pair of panties in a Ladies Wear store. I didn't realize until it was to late that all the bras and such were kept in drawers behind a glass counter. (It was like the counter in Are You Being Served). An SA approached me before i could leave and asked what I required....well I told her and I was so red faced when she reached in the drawer and pulled out several pairs of panties, then spread them on the counter for me to view. Oh she was good, explained the pros and cons of each style....I quickly picked 2 pair then she asked what size bra? ...well I didn't know so she wrapped a tape measure around my chest right there, gees I was . Afterward though in the safety of my car, I was so excited that I had done it.
    Super Mod

Oh God, Thy sea is so great and my boat is so small

The Breton Fisherman's Prayer was engraved on a brass plaque and presented to President John F. Kennedy by US Navy Admiral Hyman Rickover.

Daintre, gone but not forgotten, R.I.P. Angel xx

Tamara

Just another 'Gurl'
    Wow, really interesting experiences ladies. I have become more shy as I get older. I think that is because I have so gotten used to internet ordering that I hardly ever buy from stores compared with 10 years ago. I do let those on the phone know that I am ordering for me sometimes.
    Just another man in a dress

Gold Member
    I don't really remember but I pretty much don't really bring it up.
    A few stores know me anyways and I doubt they think it is for anyone but me.
    It takes a true Erin to be a pain in the assatar.

Quote Originally Posted by maddiegrl2k6 View Post
    I think the SAs always know lol.!
    I wonder about that too sometimes. Because really, as clueless as we men can be sometimes, how many guys really go shopping for clothes for their wives or girlfriends when they're not there? How many non CD-ing husbands and boyfriends know their SO's size? Victoria's Secret does get a lot of this I'm sure, but do non-lingerie women's clothing stores/departments?
    -------------------------------------------------
    ~Riley
    Check out my trans themed standup on YouTube!

My Tumblr Blog

Silver Member
    I was 16 and went into a store and picked two pairs of panties out. The SA told me I needed a different size and exchanged the ones that I had picked out for the correct size. That was in 1960.

A couple of years later I was purchasing some lingerie with out saying who it was for and the young SA (my age) said everyone should have and wear beautiful lingerie like this. She let me know that she was very available, but I was on a trip and wouldn't be back in that town.

I think that many SAs knew it was for me. I dated a girl that worked in one of the women's stores and she introduced me to her dad and told him that I bought all my clothes there.

I haven't done that yet; is that a bad thing? If I had someone to go shopping with I most certainly would tell the SA it was for me, but then again when I'm on my own I tend to keep to myself.

Hannah~~

Girlygirl Tomboy Wannabee Toni_Lynn's Avatar
    As I had mentioned in my reply, back when I was younger, I was a lot more daring -- raging hormones -- definitely fueled by rum -- I guess. So there was also the time in Houston Texas -- at the Target in Sharpstown -- I shopped for boy stuff en femme -- and let the SA know that the tighty whities were for the girl who was buying them - -ah - me that is

Now when I buy 'em they're for my wife

Huggles

Toni-Lynn
    --I'm TN (transnationalist) - a Canadian born in an American's body! I stand on guard for thee!

49 was the first time, Iam now 56

Aspiring Member
    I was about 40 when I went into Sally Anns Corset shop in Chicago. If I recall, I had called them first. They took me straight into a dressing room and brought a girdle in to try on. Still remember that she said that I should leave my panties on. Tried on a couple All in One's, bra and girdle and she came in often, to tug on it a little, like around the bra portion and in the back, etc. There I was standing in a bra and girdle and pantyhose in front of a woman who I didn't know. She would say that "this looks nice on you" They wouldn't leave me alone for more than a minute.
    When I went back several months later, they remembered me and gave good service but left me to be on my own a little. Bought breast forms on the second visit.
    Anyway, this opened the doors for me and now I'm OK with asking to try on womens clothes just as a woman would ask.
    SheriM

Age about 45. It was a dress for me--but Halloween excuse number one--does that count? About 55, I began to tell the clerks that it was for me, as a cd. Very scared and nervous--but after I met a few SA's, they were nice, and it began to be fun.

Round One was when I bought a black corduroy miniskirt at a Salvation Army in Bridgeport, Connecticut when I was 20, and asked if size 7 would fit me.
    Hey! at $5, who could do better?!
    I'll never forget the dirty look of disdain from the 60ish woman behind the counter.