Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How do you shop?

General nuisance AliceJaneInNewcastle's Avatar
    I shop as male or female depending on whether I have the time to dress. I'll shop in the same shops regardless.

I don't make excuses or pretend. There is no reason to tell someone why you're shopping in a particular section unless asked. If you were in male mode and shopping in a men's clothing store and someone looked sideways at you, would you volunteer that you were buying a present for your brother/father/son/boyfriend/whatever unless it was true? No. The same applies to shopping for women's clothing.

Always be polite, and don't hesitate to ask an SA for help. I've found that it's much easier to ask a SA and get help than to be a male alone in a ladies clothing store. People actually pay less attention if you're with an SA.

About the only thing I've ever bought online has been a few of my wigs. Everything else I've bought in person, and I don't remember ever having a problem with an SA.

Always in drab. I just go in and buy what I want.
    Sure I get a bit a nervous once in a while but I don't let that stop me. No SA has ever asked me if I'm buying for myself.
    Keely

One of the Reds

I go in normal clothes, in a store where there arn't many people and I don't hang around one section too long so people think I'm just passing through thar area of the store, I pick up what I need and head to the till

Platinum Member
    I shop in drab, or very discretely partial dress...usually a top, heels and stockings to express my girly side By now the ladies in my favorite shops know me pretty well, so I don't even attempt to hide the fact that I'm shopping for myself.

Transgender MtFNOp AShley AShes's Avatar
    Your correct... I do the same.. They help you or they walk away. I normal like the older ladies they all seem to smile and be very helpful.

I go as I am

I always buy my shoes online, because there are no stores that carry my size except payless and I already have all 4 pairs they carry in my size. Everything else in my closet I picked out and tried on myself, 1/2 the time I would ask the sales associate for her opinion. Makes a great conversation starter, and turns out that is how I met my best friend. Now if I could meet someone to help me with a job....

Playboy girl at heart Bunny Girl Zoe's Avatar
    Upto now shop online but love have the courage to go into shops and buy woman clothes. only had courage as love some more items.

I live on the west coast of FL.In the Tampa bay area and in Franklin NC
    Like a mad women in heat.

first time

As a few of us have said, We all think everyone is looking at us. Well they are busy with themselves. You will find very quickly you are not the first CD that has been in the store. Dont like and pretend that its for a girlfriend. They know its for you. So get over it and buy what fits and the SA will help you.
    Good luck
    Janet

I always shop in boy mode and it can be a bit intimidating sometimes, especially in smaller stores. I almost always shop in department stores as I tend to blend in a bit more among the large space and people.

To be honest I have never been asked by someone at the till...ever. They always go about their business the normal way although Im sure some of the time they do wonder if the clothes are for me.

Maybe go shopping early before the big crowds arrive, you can move around and look a lot easier and faster. At the end of the day if you do get asked just say its for your girlfriend.

Thanks to all for their comments on this subject. I have been wondering the same thing. I have gone shopping several times enfemme but have never found the courage to make a purchase. I have lost out on some nice items because of my apprehension. No longer!! If I see something I like and I have the money, it's mine!

Always.......

Always in drab, I break the rules if I go out as Lauren. Who needs an excuse or reason to provide to shop clerks. Their job is to sell and we are potential buyers. If I want to try something on, I will usually pick up a guy shirt or slacks, put the ladies item in between them so I can go into the fitting room. Just a simple disguise. I have also done a lot of shopping on Ebay. Just go out in what you are comfortable in, drab, under-dressed, or to the 9's and have fun!
    Last edited by 2b.Lauren; 01-29-2010 at 12:04 PM.
    Enjoying the softer side of life!

Hi Girl,

Just be yourself and you will be fine. You don't need to tell them is for you, unless you want to try on. In that case, then just be honest, but kind, sweet and they will help right.

Good luck

Koka

I go shopping with my best friend, point out what i like and she goes up to the counter and pays for it. As the meerkats would say ....

Simples
    Last edited by gavina; 01-29-2010 at 01:54 PM.
    You mesmerise slowly till I cant believe my eyes
    Ecstasy controls me what you give just serves me right

Aspiring Member
    Ha. I once bought a coat and asked very (rather too?) obviously for a gift receipt. I was bricking it the whole time, and that was in drab.

Online is for me

Since the Sixties

I'm the Customer

Here's what you never have to say because they already get it:

"I'm the customer.
    I pay your salary."

If you get anything other than a smile, then they don't get it and probably won't be working there much longer. Salespersons who look askance at women older than them wearing trendy clothes or people packing a bit more weight than they ought to trying to squeeze into the fashions that top out a size or two too small don't earn out on commissions and migrate to other professions where their scorn is better tolerated.

Bottom line--your odds of a bad experience in shopping is less than one in a hundred. You're far more likely to get odd looks from other customers than the sales staff. And if you're a self-confident adult primate, who cares what *any stranger* thinks of you?

my excuse ive used before is that my sister just text me asking if id pick whatever the item im buying is.but after the other week when i finally went shopping as stacy i dont need an excuse anymore.

stacy-marie