Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just how far CAN "The Boys" migrate northwards?

The best of both worlds Kathi Lake's Avatar
    Right there. To your left. No, your LEFT! Yes, that's it. Hi.

Just how far CAN "The Boys" migrate northwards?

In case you can't tell, I'm pulling a page from Suzanne's book on using juicy titles to "draw the reader in." Yes, the event in the title really happened. Yes, "the boys" crawled so far northwards that I could tickle them by clearing my throat.

How did this happen? I'll get to that. I'm going to do just what Christina always accuses me of - the cliffhanger thread. I don't mean to be all cliffhanger-y, but my posts usually get so long that it takes awhile to tell the story. So, let us begin.

Knowing that Kathi is going to have to be packed away for awhile (we listed our house this weekend, and the realtor told us to put excess stuff into storage), I decided to do a quick "swan song" shopping trip. Sorry to Sue and the other Utah gals for not letting you know so you could tag along - it was a spur-of-the-moment kinda thing.

Monday night, I decided to go, so I epilated my hands and bleached the rest of my arm hair. I couldn't epilate my legs because we're going to Orlando for Spring Break, and my wife wants me to be nice and furry by then. Sigh. I also got aggressive with my brows as I wanted to show them off to a new person, who we'll get into later.

Tuesday morning, I got the kids up and fed, got my daughter dressed and did her hair, made lunches and we were off in the family minivan (Of course it's a minivan. This IS Utah, after all). Afterwards, I went to look at a few houses - one of which my wife simply fell in love with. After seeing it, I can see why, if only for the master bath. There is a big jetted tub with a gas fireplace next to it. Can you imagine sinking into a nice scented bubblebath on a cold night with the fireplace going and some pretty candles? Ahhhhhhh!

There I go, chasing rabbits again. Sorry.

Anyway, I went home, did my makeup and hair, and waffled between outfits for awhile. "It's cold! I wanna wear boots! Boots are cute!" my petulant inner voice said. Well, my black boots that went with the outfit I was wearing were already packed, so I would have to switch outfits to my brown sweater dress, and I wore that last time I went out. Can't have that, can we? I settled on my dark skinny jeans, my black and white top and my new cardigan. Sure, I wore it last in Vegas, but no one here has seen it yet, so I was safe. Wow, once again, I have to ask - how do women keep track of all this stuff. No wonder they say guy's heads are empty. They keep track of everything we do, and soooo much more! Ladies, I am in awe of you.

My first stop was a new wig store nearby. I had previously brought my wig in (in guy mode - no less) for a trim as it was getting a bit straggly. The ladies there were so much fun, and I had promised to come back - this time dressed. I walked in and they smiled and said hello. I smiled and asked what was it about snowy days that brought me into their store. When they heard my voice, their smiles fell and they paused while processing the difference between my appearance and my voice. Then, they lit up after realizing who I was. They told me how pretty I looked, how they couldn't look as good as me on their best days, blah, blah, blah.

I told them that I was looking for a new wig, and they sat me down in the owner's room of the salon, after picking out a few they thought would go well with my facial shape and coloring. We took pictures after each one. The lighting in the place was really sucky, and they kept apologizing for it. I told them of a bulb change in their fluorescent fixtures that would give more of a daylight feel to the place. The first wig was pretty, with feathery layers that framed my face well. It was really "bad dye-job" dark though. The next one was red. I like auburn, but not necessarily red. They seemed to think that it matched my coloring really well. Having never had hair colored different than my own (it was coal black, and is now salt and pepper - well, mostly salt ), it was a bit different. After awhile, they started bringing almost every wig in the place in just for fun. One of them was called the "Jessica Simpson." I told them that after they put it on my head, that I could actually feel my IQ points slipping away. My makeup was obviously wrong for blond hair, and would have to change if I went lighter, but being a blond was cute and kind of fun. I told them that I was considering the outfits in my closet that would go with this wig, "Let's see, my LBD and pearls would look great with this, and I have a skirt and top that would look pretty hot as well . . ." They laughed and said, "Wow, we're girls and we don't even think about clothes that much." Sadly, I was sure that that was true.

While we were having fun, I mentioned something I had said last time, about advertising their services to our community in a local alternative newspaper. They had actually thought about it, and were almost ready to submit the ad. I looked at what they had and helped them with a few things (like adding "discreet" wording, talking about after-hours appointments, etc.). They were quite appreciative. Heck, since I sold my ad agency, what else am I going to do with this knowledge?

They put my wig back on, after writing down a few styles and shade numbers for me to mull over, styled it for me and I was out the door to my next stop.

Below are two pictures - one in the wig that I liked, and two of my shopping outfit.

More later!

Kathi
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Kathi Lake; 01-27-2010 at 01:28 PM.

Kathy you sucked me in with this one....lol I was sure this was like lesson 33 on tucking or something.

I liked the lighter wig...the darker one gave you very sharp lines...Since you are getting it styled and not taking it just out of the box....did you ever think of light Bangs... a little lighter than the ones on the girl in the pic behind you. To me, I find it gives the wig a more natural look.

just my thoughts

BTW: I am a big Fan.....hugs!

hugs

msniki48

My destiny is before me Brandi Wyne's Avatar
    Sometimes the doing gets a little lost in the telling. Glad you had a shopping fling before being filed away.
    [SIZE="3"]Brandi[/SIZE]
    Love life and find happiness where you can.

sorry, but no, the dark wig is all wrong, IMHO.
    DonnaT

Executive Transvestite KimberlyJo's Avatar
    lol, at first I was honestly worried about your "boys"

The lighter wig suits you better by far tbh. It may just be that the styling on it is fresh and tight and the black one looks a little "scraggley" but I think the lighter color really suits you better.
    [SIZE="3"]Viva la Revolucion!![/SIZE]

If you can't be honest with your SELF
    Then you can't really live YOUR life.

Man ---- ME ---- WOMAN

To answer a few of the questions from the posts above, the lighter wig is my normal one. It was styled a bit differently than usual, with the heavy fall on one side. The dark one is obviously the wrong color - wayyyy to dark. I would go with the same color as my existing wig - a nice, pretty brown with auburn highlights.

I did a quick drive-by at DSW to see if there were any more boots. Caroline, recognized me from my last guy-mode shopping trip and said that I was looking great! "What an improvement!" she said. I thanked her and we went off to look at boots. Wow, still a disappointing selection. I tried on a few pair - one with almost four-inch heels, and cuffed tops.As I was walking around, she again said how jealous she was of me - not only for my "incredibly skinny" body but how well I did in heels. She said that if she got rid of her bunions and lost about 30 pounds, she would give me a serious run for my money! I told her that even if all that happened, she would be so far past me that it wasn't funny.

I thought the boots were a little "pirate-y." She grabbed her chin and "hmmmmm-ed" a little and asked another girl in the store to come over. She asked her if the boots looked too pirate-y. The girl looked at me, looked at the boots and said, "Well, since they have all of the other detailing around the ankles, I don't think so. I think they're cute. Let me see you walk around a bit." I did a turn around the aisle. She said I looked hot in them and they really went well with my outfit. . I thanked them and told them I still wasn't sold on them. They said that it was OK, and to come back often as they always had new stuff and enjoyed seeing me. Caroline said, "Make sure you come as a girl though. You look much hotter this way!" I laughed and left, on my way to my next stop.

My next stop was my travel agent. She is one of those incredibly gorgeous women that Utah seems to have in abundance. Blond, early forties, aging incredibly well, wearing hot, cute, trendy clothes she obviously shares with her daughter. Sigh. I think I mentioned her in another post and described her as "effortlessly stunning." Anyway, I had told her about Kathi before my Vegas trip, and showed her some pictures. She made me promise to come in dressed sometime. I'm a woman of my word, so come in dressed I did. Apparently, the previous night was kind of a travel agent "Hawaii convention." I walked in after trying to find a parking spot. The place was crawling with travel company representatives. I saw my travel agent, and all of the chairs were gone from around her desk. I walked over and stood by her desk. She looked up and smiled and them recognized me. "Oh my god!" she said as she rushed around your desk, enveloping me in a hug. "You look incredible. The pictures don't do you justice" she continued and told me to sit down. A guy in the office took the hint, stood up, brought his chair over and held it for me. I smiled, said thanks to him and tried to sit as ladylike as possible. She told me that she loved my shoes and asked to see them. I showed her and she said, "Don't you just loooove heels?" I agreed, saying that I did, even though I shouldn't as I am already too tall and people notice me that much more. She accused me of thinking like a girl and said not to worry if all the eyes in the room were on me. She said that my height wasn't the reason they were watching me, it was because I looked stunning. I thanked her and said that I had shown her mine, now she needed to show me her shoes. She lifted them up. Oh my gosh! They were incredibly cute! They were a light lizard skin booty in black and white with about a three-inch heel. I asked her where she bought them, and she said Forever Young shoes - she stole them from her daughter. I said it must be nice to be able to borrow clothes from her daughter. She said it was indeed great, and said as trendy as I dressed, that in a few years I should watch out as my daughter would be stealing clothes from me. That was a nice comment. I had previously told her that I was kind of the "mom" at home with my younger ones, and that I had been teaching my daughter about hair, and in a few years, we would move onto me teaching her about makeup. I can't wait!

Well, we chatted for awhile, me aglow in the lovely estrogen bath that is communicating with women on their level. I just love acceptance. Part of it, of course, is accepting yourself. I think that people instinctually understand and accept that. I was going to say that I am comfortable in either mode, but I remembered that I don't really have "modes." There is no "Girl" mode or "Boy" mode. With me, there's just me. Our chatting done, I made my last payment on our vacation, and I left the busy office, feeling plenty of eyes upon me. I can't wait to go back and see what was said about me.

My next stop was my local bank. There were a lot of cars in the parking lot. Ah well, we can't always be discreet, right? I walked in and stood in line. The tellers recognized me and said hello. One said, "Oh, aren't you just gorgeous today?!" making everybody in line turn to look at me. Ahhhh, the feeling of a million-watt spotlight being turned towards you. Honestly, I think I got a sunburn from all of the eyes on me. I waited my turn, people sneaking furtive glances at me all the while. Finally, I was called to a window. It was a new girl. One of my favorite tellers left her window and kind of muscled her aside, saying "I'll get her. You can help the next person." She said, "Shopping again, my little trophy wife?" I laughed and said I certainly wasn't pretty or young enough to be one of those. She replied, "None of us are, are we? You come pretty darn close, though. Let's see those shoes!" I lifted my foot up enough so that she could see. Another girl asked "What kind is she wearing today? Boots again?" "Nope" the first teller said, "Stilettos today." I said they weren't that high - maybe 3 inches - 3 1/2 max! "I don't know how you can walk so effortlessly in all your pretty shoes" she whined. My ankles are so weak that I have to wear clunky granny shoes. It's just not fair. Oh well, I have to say, I'm glad somebody gets to wear the pretty shoes, and you look so good doing it!" I thanked her and said that I really loved wearing heels.

Next, since there were new tellers, "The Questions" started. Does my wife know? (Yup) Do my kids know? (My oldest one does) What do I do for work? (I told them that I was paid to be a geek) Has anyone there seen me dressed? I told them that a few of the women did at work. They asked why not the guys. There was one male teller in the bunch, and I wondered if I should say the real reason, and decided to forge on ahead. I said, "You girls understand - that hair, the clothes, makeup - all of this stuff is so fun! Girls get it. They also know that I obviously put a lot of effort into this and that I'm not doing it as a joke and seem to respond to that. You understand. Guys just immediately assume that I'm gay and want no more to do with it. The girls agreed (even the male teller smiled and shook his head). After a bit more chatting about what I was shopping for (a cute jacket and maybe some boots), they bid me goodbye and whistled as I was walking out the door.

Continued in next post.

Kathi
    Last edited by Kathi Lake; 01-27-2010 at 03:08 PM.

Gold Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KimberlyJo View Post
    lol, at first I was honestly worried about your "boys"

The lighter wig suits you better by far tbh. It may just be that the styling on it is fresh and tight and the black one looks a little "scraggley" but I think the lighter color really suits you better.
    The lighter wig yeah it looks more natural, at least in the photos.

I disagree with Kimberly tho - I don't think about Kathy's "boys" enough to worry about them. I like Kathy and all but her boys, her business

KAthy - They are not called "boys", they are called chin slappers.
    It takes a true Erin to be a pain in the assatar.

Kathi I like the shape of the darker wig but the color of the lighter one. I was expecting shopping trip #2 for 2010.
    Put a little lipstick on you'll feel better

Quote Originally Posted by Kathi Lake View Post
    Well, we chatted for awhile, me aglow in the lovely estrogen bath that is communicating with women on their level. I just love acceptance. Part of it, of course, is accepting yourself. I think that people instinctually understand and accept that.
    Brilliantly said! I'm still waiting for the story of the "boys" though, or have I just been taken in by a clever title?

BTW, Kathi, have you ever read Chapter 53 of Mark Twain's Roughing It? To read it online, Click Here.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephoneâ„¢ and Persephoneâ„¢ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

So where is the next installment. You got us interested with that cliffhanger and now we are waiting. Is this one of those watch the conclusion next week things?
    Michelle

Quote Originally Posted by AKAMichelle View Post
    So where is the next installment. You got us interested with that cliffhanger and now we are waiting. Is this one of those watch the conclusion next week things?
    Next week? No. It may be tomorrow though as my wife and I are going to look at houses, then I need to finish painting the bathroom, . . .

Kathi

You're having WAY too much fun Kathi!!! And you definately take it a huge step further than I in that you are out to many acquaintances who clearly know you in guy mode.

And yes, I understand how you feel about the guy mode/girl mode and name things. Think of it as presenting. We are being ourselves and more often than not (I'm guessing), our personalities remain the same no matter how we present.

So of course I'm loving the tale just as everyone else is. Can't wait to read the rest to find out what the title hook is all about. Don't be moving the boys too far north, that's further away from Vegas (hint hint hint, I'm a brat, aren't I??? ).

BTW, forgot to mention the hair...Love the style, just as I do of your brown look, but I think a lighter color suits you better.
    Last edited by Sara Jessica; 01-28-2010 at 09:24 AM.
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

Gold Member
    More??? Are your days longer than the rest of ours? I do look forward to our next get-together. But the family life always comes first. And if you need any help with the move, my hair will be wet and I won't know what to do with it! Really, let me know if I can be of help!

Executive Transvestite KimberlyJo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicole Erin View Post
    I disagree with Kimberly tho - I don't think about Kathy's "boys" enough to worry about them. I like Kathy and all but her boys, her business

KAthy - They are not called "boys", they are called chin slappers.
    [SIZE="3"]Viva la Revolucion!![/SIZE]

If you can't be honest with your SELF
    Then you can't really live YOUR life.

Man ---- ME ---- WOMAN

Kathi -- Are you moving into a new home because you need more closet room? I am so jealous of your wardrobe, your adventures, and your skinny body! Keep those stories coming. I only get out a couple, two, three times a year, so I live vicariously through the adventures I read about here.
    BTW -- I am with the others. I prefer the lighter hair. The dark wig just doesn't cut it.
    Sherrie Lynn Pall

Sometimes I make sense and that frightens me.

Please don't let me be the last post on this thread

Well, I'm back and ready to go on with my latest shopping tale. As I said, it may be my last one for a time as I told my wife that I was packing up all of my girl clothes (Wow. I may need to buy more boxes! ) for the impending move in a few months. Since it may be awhile, I thought I'd make it a good one. No Sue, my hours aren't longer. I feel that each hour we're given on this earth is a blessing - more so when we get to be who we are - that I don't want to waste a single minute. I just try to pack as much in as possible into each one.

So, my next stop was my friendly Ulta store, as I promised my Ulta buds via Facebook that I would be sure to stop in. We had a brief chat as Britney was still gone and there were only two workers there and about 8-10 women (and me). I looked at a few new eyeshadows and lip colors (still thinking about the blond wig and how I could change my makeup to make it work). After awhile, I said bye to the girls there (Wow! Possibly my quickest trip there so far!) and was on my way.

My next stop was going to be to visit a friend who had moved from Ulta to another salon. I had asked her if I should come in dressed and "break the new girls in right." She said, and I quote, "Hell yeah!" So, as I told her that I would be in on Tuesday, I stopped by around 12:30. The receptionist was nice, and didn't really give me a second glance, but said that she didn't think that J was there yet, and offered to call her. I said that would be great, and sat down. I heard her on the phone saying "Hi J, you have a lady here for an appointment. I don't have your appointment book. Were you expecting her? Ummm, she's a tall, pretty brunette." She then asked me my name. I said my guy name and her eyes got big. "Ummmmmm, her name is XXX?" she said questioningly, and gave the phone to me. J knew I was coming in Tuesday, but we neglected to name a time. We decided to meet around 3:00 at the salon. I hung up, gave the phone back to the manager, thanked her with a big smile and went off to more fun.

The more fun part will be in the next post. I tried on so many pretty things and I have LOTS of pictures! However, I am going to post a picture now of what NOT to do. If you have a heart condition or a weak stomach, DO NOT look at the picture below!! I'll try to put a lot of blank lines in so those of you that choose to do so can click away to a nicer post. Maybe one with kittens! Everybody likes kittens, right? Cute, fluffy kittens?

Kathi
    OK, here's the deal; In many of my posts, I have bemoaned the fact that I have UMA - Ugly Man Arms. They're bulky and brawny and totally unlike the rest of my skinny body. usually, I hide them in cute sweaters and shrugs. This picture will definitely let you know why. Once, while I was at WH/BM, Michelle brought me a very cute sheath dress. I said I needed a shrug or something. She said, "Nonsense! Try it and let me see." So, I zipped up into the dress and looked in the mirror. Ick! Michelle told me to come on out or she was coming in after me. I opened the door and she said, "Oh. . . . uhhh . . . . . . I'll, . . . go get the shrug."

Once again, look only if you dare!!!!!!

Since I had a few hours to kill before J would be at the salon, I decided to do some quick power shopping. There is a little boutique/tanning salon nearby that has some really cute clothes and jewelry. I walked in and the owner was helping another lady, but she glanced my way and gave me a big smile and a hello. I perused the racks, and my eyes lit on a pretty blue scarf. Now those that know me, and everyone here that has seen my pictures know that when it comes to colors, I'm a big, fat coward. My tastes run to the browns and the grays and the blacks and whites - occasionally a nice deep red. J thinks I should branch out more and get some more color in my wardrobe. You all know, however, our desire to blend. If I am wearing the loudest color in the room, it makes it that much harder to not be noticed. That's my thinking, anyway.

So, I gravitated to the electric blue scarf, and noticed that it happened to be draped over the collar of the perfect jacket. The one I was looking for!! In my size, even!! The owner came over and said, "That's the last one left! It would be very cute on you." I didn't even wait to go to a room to try it on. I shucked my sweater and pulled on the jacket. Perfection! The sleeves were long enough to hide my ape-like arms, the fit was cute and very tailored. It is a nice dark brown with almost a pea-coat look to it. Not too trendy. A classic. Looking in the mirror, I told her that it was an instant keeper. She said that it was a great coat, and looked so pretty on me.

Wow, Here I was having two hours to kill, and I find what I'm looking for in the first two minutes. Isn't shopping great? Like the metaphorical box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

I certainly wasn't going to let a silly little thing like being done with shopping spoil my fun. There's clothes to be tried on! So, we went around the store flipping through all of the racks. She had recently gotten some new stuff in, and we found a few cute things in my size. The first was a pretty black tunic with ivory embroidery on the sleeves. I loved the cut and the feel. I am going to break this post here so I can show the pictures of that outfit. The combination of the tunic and my skinny jeans worked really well. Gee, if only I hadn't already packed away my black boots, it would have been a totally cute outfit! Here are the pictures from the front and side. I usually don't show myself in profile because you can see how pathetically skinny I am.

Oh yeah, I'll also throw in a "bonus" picture of a zipup hoody I tried on. It was cute, but not cute enough to buy. I think it made me look too "guy-ish."

Kathi

Oh yeah! I forgot to post a picture of the cute jacket!! Wow, that blond wig must have been even more powerful than I thought - it's affecting me days after wearing it. Pretty soon, I'll be using the word to when I mean too.

Kathi

Gold Member
    Kathi...you have got the best fashion sense. I love every outfit I've seen you in and these are equally flattering. As for your arms, I know a couple female body builders who make yours look skinny. I wouldn't be too concerned about them.

LOVE the top, it's perfect on you.

(and now for a little bit of constructive criticism)

While it looks OK with skinny jeans, leggings would absolutely make the outfit. Wear it with boots, heels or ballet flats. The fit of leggings will flatter the fit of the top much more than jeans ever can.

(off my soapbox )

As for the arms, reminds me of the fateful day I took off a shrug top to show my friend Kim and her reply was "and the problem is???". I see the same thing with yours, don't think you have so much to worry about. So do what I do...avoid manual labor & heavy lifting. Having a tan helps as well but that only works in the summertime.

BTW, I haven't worn a shrug since.
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

Quote Originally Posted by Persephone View Post
    Brilliantly said! I'm still waiting for the story of the "boys" though, or have I just been taken in by a clever title?
    Oh, it's coming. Worry not! Yes, I have read Roughing It. I love Mark Twain!

Quote Originally Posted by Sara Jessica View Post
    You're having WAY too much fun Kathi!!! And you definately take it a huge step further than I in that you are out to many acquaintances who clearly know you in guy mode.

BTW, forgot to mention the hair...Love the style, just as I do of your brown look, but I think a lighter color suits you better.
    Thank you, my friend! Yes, I am having way too much fun. You know what? I think I can handle it. In answer to your question; Yes. You are a brat. Also, to you and everyone who has weighed in, I like the lighter hair color as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Miranda09 View Post
    Kathi...you have got the best fashion sense.
    Thank you Miranda! I learn from the best - you and all of the other beautiful put-together girls on this site.

LOVE the top, it's perfect on you. While it looks OK with skinny jeans, leggings would absolutely make the outfit. Wear it with boots, heels or ballet flats. The fit of leggings will flatter the fit of the top much more than jeans ever can.
    Oh yeah, I'm totaly with you on that one. As I was packing, I saw both my leggings, and the new pair of pants I bought in Vegas (might as well be leggings, they're so form-fitting), and thought, "Ooooohhhhhh, these would look adorable with that top! Great minds, and all that.

As for the arms, reminds me of the fateful day I took off a shrug top to show my friend Kim and her reply was "and the problem is???". I see the same thing with yours, don't think you have so much to worry about. So do what I do...avoid manual labor & heavy lifting. Having a tan helps as well but that only works in the summertime.

BTW, I haven't worn a shrug since.
    Wow, scary time. Scary time!! Were you as paranoid as me though?

OK, who's ready for some more? I think my fingers are clean enough of my lunch (7-11 1/4 pound hot dogs, slathered in nacho cheese and onions. Yum!) not to sully my keyboard. So, here we go!!

I definitely loved the tunic, but already have a few tops like that, so I grudgingly took it off. I'm sure I'll catch hell from Veronica for not buying it as cute as it was (it is the Fashionista way, after all ), but since I'm planning on moving in a few months, I need to keep my expenditures down a bit (as my wife reminded me last night. "You realize that you've spent hundreds of dollars on girl stuff in the past year or so, right? You know that you can't continue at that rate, right?" My reply is, as always, "Yes dear."). Sigh.

Well, the owner brought me a few sweaters and a few camis to try on. She had just gotten them in and said they'd look great with my body - long, slender, with the crop top on a few of them helping to accentuate my waist. She is built exactly like me - tall, lean, no hips - so she knows what will look good on us. I tried the first one on. It was a cute purple sweater. Yeah. I know. Purple! Me!! It was very cute though, and not too gaudy. Depending on where I was, I might even blend in a bit. I felt a bit "Preppy" in it, and remembered the clothes of the 80's. I'm so glad we're done with the 70's "fashions." In my opinion, they were ugly then, and they're still ugly.

I went back in to change into a purple and gray argyle crop top. I liked it. It was really cute, and fashionable - for now, at least. During this, she said, "I'm going to have to ask you for technical support again." In the past, as she had gotten to know me, she found out I was a geek (geekette?), and I had helped her with computer problems in the past. Windows and computer problems - they go together like peanut-butter and jelly. Anyway, I responded, while looking at myself in the mirror in my skinny jeans, cami and cute crop top, "You know what? That's perfect, because in this outfit, I look just like a cute young college girl!" I came out and got a "Wow!" out of her. She was right. The short crop top seemed to bring in my waist and made me look almost curvy. I went over to her computer, and was working on it when we heard a crash. We looked out her window and saw that a red car had sideswiped a truck. Without thinking, I ran out of the store to see if anyone was hurt. It wasn't until I stepped in a pile of snow and got a little bit into my pumps that I realized what I was wearing outside. Oops! That made the boys retreat a little, but I made sure that everyone was OK and that the police were on their way, and clicked back inside. I made sure to walk carefully - both to look as feminine as I could (I was representin' after all!), and to make sure that I didn't fall on my butt in my heels.

The owner told me that she had called the police and said it was so nice going out there to help - especially dressed as I was. I told her that I had kind of forgotten about it all, but thinking back, I do remember the bounce of my adhesive forms as I hurried out there. Wow, I gotta go running in these someday!

I helped her with her computer problem and she said, "Wow, you're good at this. You should go into business. You could dress the way you like, and make those lonely computer geeks drool over you." I said that would be a great idea, and even had a name - GeekBabe - with the slogan, "The closest thing to a real girl you'll ever have!"

She then asked me to help translate some legalese. I guess someone had used a fraudulent card and they wanted a copy of the receipt. I found out how to go back into her Point of Sale system and get the data. She asked me if I could fax it for her as she didn't have one. I said I would be happy to, and put the paperwork into my purse. It felt so nice to just be doing normal things in the cute clothes. The old saying is "You are what you eat" but I maintain it is more "You are what you wear." Being in the cute girly clothes just made me feel, well, . . . cute and girly, I guess.

Well, I tried on a few other items - the same crop top in black and gray, different camis and more. Noticing that the time was getting close to go back to the salon, I changed back into my shopping outfit. The owner complimented me again on my outfit and how nice I looked as a woman. I told her that I really loved doing it, and as long as my body held out, I would keep it up. She gave me a very nice compliment then. She said, "Honestly, your body is fabulous! You truly look better than many women - I know that I'm envious. "In fact" she whispered conspiratorially, you seriously look better than most women! I can see why you have so much fun doing this." This is where I'm of two minds. One part of me loves to hear things like that. It's validation for all of the hard work that goes into my appearance and who I am. On the other hand, I've never been one to receive a compliment well. I was just never raised in an atmosphere where compliments were given, and therefore don't know how to take them. I'm trying to learn. I try to accept them graciously - especially when I know they're sincere - but it is hard. Also, who wants a big head? I mean, ick! I'd have to spend so much more on makeup if my head got any bigger!

I gratefully paid for my jacket and scarf (both on sale for $48.00 after a "technical support discount". Score!!) and was off to meet J at her new salon.

I should be able to wrap this up in another post or two. Luckily, work is kinda slow. Talk to you soon!

Kathi
    Last edited by Kathi Lake; 01-28-2010 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Forgot the pictures - I'm such a doofus!

where did you buy you're shrug from? I have been looking for a shrug for a while, but I have not been able to find one.

Amee Marie / Hannahgirl~~

Quote Originally Posted by Amee Marie View Post
    where did you buy your shrug from? I have been looking for a shrug for awhile, but I have not been able to find one.

Amee Marie / Hannahgirl~~
    My absolute ultra-favorite shrug is from White House/Black Market. It is a silk blend cropped shrug. It covers up the dreaded UMA while accentuating the waist. Bonus points!!

The cropped shrug in the pictures is from a little boutique up in Ogden on Harrison - My Closet. They always have cute stuff up there and the people are friendly.

Kathi

Let's wrap this shopping post up, shall we?

I drove on to the salon and J was outside with about 3 other girls cleaning the windows. I got out of my car and walked over to her, saying "You missed a spot." She turned around, greeted me and we went inside. We sat down in the front reception area and caught up for awhile. I was mainly visiting her because she had asked me to set up a website for her. I had it up and running and wanted her to see it. The other girls in the salon and other customers were passing by from time to time. We chatted with them at times, and it was just a great "girl talk" bonding experience - with geeky stuff as well. Everybody wins!

I then went back to the place where I got my brown sweater dress - Plato's Closet. It's a place for used teen-style clothing - Hollister, American Eagle, Forever 21, Charlotte Russe, etc. and always has very cute stuff at great prices. I said hello to the girls working there and went through the racks and shoes. I saw a few pretty tops I was going to try on. As I was near the dressing rooms, looking at purses, I heard a door open and looked around. Here's where my boys did their quick crawl up north. It was a girl from church - and not just any girl, a member of the Gorgeous Gossip Patrol (GGP). The ones who have accepted me into their little women's clique. This store is perfect for her. She has the body of a 12 year-old boy - all tiny and athletic - but very cute. I saw her - mostly with my peripheral vision - but I don't think she saw me. She left the dressing room and went to the three-way mirror behind me. Quick as a bunny, but with extreme ladylike deportment, I sashayed my skinny hiney out of there! I had always wondered what would happen if I was "caught" and this was the closest to it I've come. It definitely got the heart rate up there and gave my Secret antiperspirant a workout. I haven't seen her yet. Normally, all of us in the GGP help with the food before Wednesday evening services. Since I've been feverishly packing, painting and prepping for the move, I skipped out this week. It'll be an interesting Sunday - that's for sure. Still, I don't think I'm that recognizable. In fact, I went back to the boutique yesterday in guy mode to bring back the stuff I faxed for the owner. She didn't recognize me until I gave her the paperwork. "Wow, what a difference! I don't think I have ever seen you as a guy" she said. She had me step back, turn around and said that in my baggy guy clothes (I don't have a choice - even men's small shirts are too large, and don't get me started on men's pants!!) she would never believe that I would look as pretty as I do as a woman. We chatted more about it and she said, "Wait a minute. I have seen you as a guy about a year ago. You were trying on bikinis and other swimsuits, right?" I said that was me. She said that she was so nervous as she thought that when I asked her what she thought I looked like in the suits, that she wondered if I would want to show her something else next. She said not to take offense, that she had been flashed before, robbed at gunpoint and knifepoint, and her antenna were up for anything out of the ordinary. I asked her how she felt now. She said, "Oh, I am totally comfortable with you. It's so easy to relate to you as a woman. I usually have trouble thinking that you're a man. Even now, in those clothes, you are, in my mind, a woman. It's weird. I guess it's just your pesonality" she said with a smile. She said she could see why I did this and then wondered if I was going to be like another customer of hers. I knew who she meant. She has a customer that had, as she put it, ". . . had the operation." I told her no, and told her more about the spectrum of people that did this, and where I fell on that. She told me not to rule it out as she could tell that I was "obviously a woman on the inside" and, of course, how fantastic I looked. I told her that the qualities that I had in me enabled me to be a better man, a better husband, a better father. She said she could see that.

Enough rabbits for now. Back to my day:

I then went on my way home to put Kathi away - for what could be a long time. Gulp! I feel that I can make it through this "dry spell" knowing that it is not only for a good cause, but that it is not forever. I will still check in with all my friends here to keep in touch. I will also have a bit of "payback" if you will. I will now be living vicariously through you! Don't let me donw, girls! Get over your fears and your feelings that you're not pretty enough. get out there and have some fun in this world. Happiness awaits! Don't let the minutes, hours and days go by without grabbing some if it for yourself.

Kathi

A quick postscript. I just received a Facebook e-mail from J. Part of it said, "The girls thought you looked so beautiful - a real natural. They asked if you did shows " Awwww. See Sue, going to a new place is as simple as going to a new place. As long as we're sincere, everything will just fall into place.

Kathi
    Last edited by Kathi Lake; 01-28-2010 at 06:41 PM.

This is where we have to draw line. I can do the shopping and trying on clothes. I can't pull off the look you can, but that's ok. It took you a long time to perfect your look as it will me.

But I can't write like you. You keep people reading. I guess the guy in me says what I want and thats it. Short and to the point.

Loved reading your story. You sure take awhile to tell the climax to the story. I think I got a whole year older just reading your story. Good luck with your move. Hopefully it won't be for long and then we will be back to the long stories which keep us on this website.
    Michelle