Thread: Another valuable lesson of acceptance.

Gold Member

Another valuable lesson of acceptance.

I have some neighbors that are pretty "country".

Well, I got to talking to one of them yesterday when I was out messing with my new Ford junker, anyways the subject of GLBT did come up.

I said, "yeah people think I am fruity enough as it is.." long story short - he was like "people do judge a book by the cover, you are wearing some pink, you look like a girl, you dress like a girl.. so people just assume..." of course in a conversational manner, but he was saying he has some gay friends and really, the things he said, I knew he was not ignorant.

Of course we got to chatting about other things, but it was just kind of weird, I mean the guy is pretty big, has a beard, drives this big ol pickup,

So what did I learn? First, I learned once again that *I*, yes, Erin, have a lot to learn about judging books by their cover. Also, figured out something I heard years ago - it is easy to hate based on looks but usually you get to talking to someone and find out they are just normal people and you end up thinking highly of them. Might I say for my neighbor, his job is actually something quite noble and caring. I don't know what it pays but he is providing a service that a lot of people could not do.

So he said in an honest way that I look like a woman. He also had a hard time believeing I am 35 years old. He is early 20's and I thought, "Well, maybe the next generation *is* less ignorant than even the 30 somethings"

It is just weird, it is like you cannot know people just by looking at them.

Well, we were chatting a while, I won't bore you with all the details but these things above stuck out in my mind.

Man I don't know, I just wish I could shake some of my own prejudice.
    It takes a true Erin to be a pain in the assatar.

My destiny is before me Brandi Wyne's Avatar
    Yeah, well think about the 50s and up set and how they look and judge others. I've learned a lot recently about people and some of it is good and some not so good. Love who you are and be what you can be. Life will present opportunities and obsticals and it all adds to making life interesting, if not always fun.

Hugs,
    [SIZE="3"]Brandi[/SIZE]
    Love life and find happiness where you can.

you can't judge a book by its cover,sometimes there is a surprise at the turn of every page. bit like life really.
    "Beauty is truth, truth beauty"
    that is all Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.

Keats.

We are judged by our own judgements. We never expose ourselves more than when we are judgemental.

Hey Nicole... maybe he was trying to bust a move on ya.

Kel
    "one day I'll fly away..... leave all this to yesterday"

http://youtu.be/kR7NlgwVHHg

Gold Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kellycan27 View Post
    Hey Nicole... maybe he was trying to bust a move on ya.

Kel
    OH come now, I thought it was called "Getting his mack on".
    It takes a true Erin to be a pain in the assatar.

After working commercial construction for 34+ years I think the younger generation is a whole lot more tolerant and less judgemental than the 19`70's and 80's. There are a lot of good young people out there...But never say never or always say always.
    May the stars carry your sadness away,
    May the flowers fill your heart with beauty,
    May hope forever wipe away your tears,
    And, above all, may silence make you strong.

Chief Dan George