Thread: What my shadow tells me....

What my shadow tells me....

I was out in the cold late afternoon sun with a female colleague this past week, and as we walked together, my shadow depicted a hunched over, gorilla looking, arm swinging guy walking beside this curvy, elbows tucked closely her side, legs swinging in a perfectly straght line image.

Yuck...do I really look like this???

As we chatted, I slowly started correcting my walk, not trying to imitate her and be too obvious, but tried to de-masculinize (is that a word) my gait.
    It did seem to work, but it was a good reminder that it is way to easy to fall back into my ugly guy mode.

Where else do you get your clues?
    Kristen

I've tried recording a short video of myself before walking around. it's a good way to 'correct' any of the masculine characteristics of one's mannerisms. The shadow thing seems like it'd be a good technique, especially since it blocks out the interior features and helps you just focus on the movements.

I've heard that part of the reason that there's a difference in the way men and women walk has to do with the anatomical structures. I think women may walk with the hip swinging more than men. I'm not certain about this.

I got the same problem ... my walk is pretty bad too...somthing this post reminded me i really need to work on ...

Gee thanks

Joann

Wow! That is quite a revelation. The point isn't so much the shadow as the sliding backwards from a feminine presentment. I wonder how often I do that. Going to have to look at myself more often.
    TG is who I am; CD is something I do.

My CD Blog Site

Loves ordinary miracles SuzanneBender's Avatar
    We simply revert to what we have been taught all of our lives. Gorrilla mode is cool for boys. Girls are taught from an early age to walk talk and behave the way that they do. We are making up for years of being deprived.

I highly recommend dance lessons. It is a great way to learn to monitor your kinetic movements. Other than that practice practice practice!
    See yourself as a soul with a body not a body with a soul" Dr. Wayne Dyer

Gold Member
    I spend alot of time just watching women and observe how they walk. As you might guess, it IS very different than a male walk, so whenever I dress up, I always make a conscious effort to walk in the same manner, even if it's only at home. I'll even practice when i'm in drab mode!!

Hey gorilla girl. LOL. Seems to me you was girl watching at FE 2010 a couple of weeks ago. Your comment to me was everyone looked so good. But most still walked like a man. Your comment helped me walk better for the remainder of my trip. At least some of the times, cause I would revert back to my gorilla gate out of habbit. Just goes to show ya how hard it is to get rid of him.lol. Even if it is only for a couple of hours. Also goes to show ya how soon we forget out own observations. It is good that you caught yourself. Now you can improve yourself. So remember your shadow girl.
    keep on gurlin everyone. paula may

yup it happens, but apparently i walk like a chic anyway, i dont seem to agree, but its what i been told. always gota pay attention to your looks which includes walking.

Some of it is anatomical too. Women have proportionately wider hips which does affect their walk. Consciously practicing to simulate the natural "wiggle" of a woman's hips is really the only way to overcome it.
    "The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
    -Walter Bagehot

AIM: KendraAmaya
    kendra.amaya@gmx.com

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A California Girl Rachel Morley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristen Marie View Post
    Yuck...do I really look like this??? ..... it was a good reminder that it is way to easy to fall back into my ugly guy mode.
    Tell me about it! When I first started videoing myself I was mega depressed. I was feeling feminine alright, but wow my walk was not in the least bit feminine. I've practiced and practiced and it is much better now, but if I relax too much and don't pay attention to what I'm doing (especially in the high heels I usually wear) then it can go all wrong. Thankfully I have a rather assertive wife who lets me know right away if my behaviour is not feminine enough!
    The River City Gems - Northern California's largest and most active crossdressing & transgender support group!

Quote Originally Posted by paulaN View Post
    Hey gorilla girl. LOL. Seems to me you was girl watching at FE 2010 a couple of weeks ago. Your comment to me was everyone looked so good. But most still walked like a man. Your comment helped me walk better for the remainder of my trip. At least some of the times, cause I would revert back to my gorilla gate out of habbit. Just goes to show ya how hard it is to get rid of him.lol. Even if it is only for a couple of hours. Also goes to show ya how soon we forget out own observations. It is good that you caught yourself. Now you can improve yourself. So remember your shadow girl.
    And sometimes with the light glaring from the back, you cannot see who it is, but you know it's not a female based on what you can see.
    Kristen

The shadow knows... So does the reflection in the store window...

It isn't always pleasant to hear what they have to say - but those are often the most important messages to hear.

I definitely know the feeling.
    "I don't mind living in a man's world, as long as I can be a woman in it." — Marilyn Monroe

Quote Originally Posted by Hope View Post
    The shadow knows... So does the reflection in the store window...

It isn't always pleasant to hear what they have to say - but those are often the most important messages to hear.

I definitely know the feeling.
    Well said, I've learned a lot from watching my shadow, and I never pass up a chance to admire myself in a store window...fraility thy name is woman!

Feminine walk

A few weeks ago I was able to spend the entire weekend in heels practicing before my big outing. They say that practice gives the muscles a "memory" and I think it's true because I found myself falling back into the feminine walk on Monday. It was hard to switch back and forth.