Thread: Coming out at work?

Banned Read only

Coming out at work?

http://www.hrc.org/issues/best-places-to-work-2010.htm

Thinking about coming out at work? Check and see if your employer is on this list. I find it comforting that mine is, as I occasionally cross the gender boundary in apparel!

i know mine already is, since there is a transsexual already working there
    removed

Just finding my way.... StaceyJane's Avatar
    I didn't see Department of the Army on the list. So maybe I should be careful.

I'm not a soldier, I'm a civilian DA employee.
    Stacey

I'm not a doctor, I just play one on TV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wob7zmvVTb8

My destiny is before me Brandi Wyne's Avatar
    I have a position that requires licensing and I have to use my real name on all documents. It would be more difficult to deal with the patients than the employer when they see Brandi but I have to use my male name on all the papers.
    [SIZE="3"]Brandi[/SIZE]
    Love life and find happiness where you can.

Psyco Roller Derby Doll. Katesback's Avatar
    Thinking that for the most part protections that do exist in employment are more applicable to someone that is going to transition or transitioning. Even the companies that provide protections are likely to have some issues with someone that is not consistantly one gender every day!

Are companies that have gender identity protection tolerant of employees that are gender queer? In other words, an employee that doesn't present as male or female but a combination of both. In other words, a male wearing nail polish, makeup, women's shoes, a man's shirt and men's pants? Are we protected? Opinions please.
    You will become stronger in the ways of the Pink Fog. May the Pink Fog guide you and be with you now and forever.

Yes,my company is on there also.
    Kimmy 55

The journey has begun.... Regina's Avatar
    Mine's not...

It shouldn't suprise me the whole "Celebration of Diversity" that they push is just for race not gender. We had an employee who quit, transitioned and got another job in another state. She inquired to our HR department about changing her employment record to reflect her new name and gender, they refused, stating that she was a male when she worked here and that's what they will refer to should a prospective employer contact them. Luckily she was able to get a good job once she transitioned, I think she was looking further down the road if she changed jobs again.

So when Diversity month occurs here it's just buffing the corporate image with no meaningful change. I don't know if it's a clue into my future but I know a few people in HR and I remind them that some day you will have to deal with a transgendered person and well see then what your committment to diversity really is all about.

Regina

I have my own thrift store. I'm the owner, boss, and only employee. My company is not on the list but i'm sure it's okay to dress.
    Put a little lipstick on you'll feel better

Aspiring Member
    Only 305 companies are on it. No surprise that most will not be, then.

What a surprise..... Construction is not listed.

They dont even delve into the are of work I am in... There are many companies that are tolerant that dont get the notice that these do. These are all LARGe corporations, with billion plus portfolios. Not the ones like say I work for which is a large company, but is still family owned and operated.. are they tolerant? I have no idea... we dont have nayone but me working here that I know of that cd's, and I sure aint ready to let them know... I know men have to wear short hair and no earrings.. so I doubt they are... but, you never know... they might classify someone like me under womens dress code, or have a separate policy regarding such Gender issues.. I dont know..
    Even if you ARE the sharpest tool in the shed, your still a tool.

If your company isn't listed here, do a private sector search to see if your company is listed and if so, how it rates in specific areas.

To say that there's "only 305" companies on this list is meaningless. You have to compare that number to the number of companies that were evaluated and didn't make the list, and even then, that number is probably only good for companies large enough to be considered by this organization.

My company isn't on this list, but *is* on the list of advertisers who pulled from a certain radio station for promoting abuse of transgendered children last year. I remain optimistic. :-)

The company I work for is on the list as well...and was given a score of 100 again. It is a good company to work for. I am totally out at work about being Gay and a CD/TG (though I don't dress at work...heck...we all wear the same uniform anyway) and I have had no problems.

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by subaru_forster View Post
    To say that there's "only 305" companies on this list is meaningless. You have to compare that number to the number of companies that were evaluated and didn't make the list, and even then, that number is probably only good for companies large enough to be considered by this organization.
    That's my point. It's nice if your company is on the list, but not a disaster if they aren't

It's interesting to see so many law firms on the list. Perhaps they understand that fostering diversity can be a method of litigation avoidance.

More applicable to our cause though would be to see a list of employers who have no issue with the "T". Think about it, it's one thing to accept "G,L,B" because sexual orientation is something that is not so much "in your face", flamboyant behavior notwithstanding. However, the outward presentation of one who identifies at transgendered can be a constant reminder to all concerned.
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

sure a company can allow a transgenderd to work there...it is the law.

but what about those you must work with?

they can be fourced to shut up. but still will not quite work with you. making it very hard to work there.

the job i have if i was found out...i would have to move on.
    but sofar no one has said anything about my nails, clear on them all the time.

LGBT Friendly places to work

Bank of America is one of those places i did not see on the list

In TX at the Bank of America is one place where you can be transgendered and work there as well and people are not shocked at all in fact they really accept the two who work there right now

There are places one can work in female clothing and then there places that to do
    that would really not be a good thing. I'm sure most small companies could not
    handle one of us showing for work in something totaly girly. Underdressed? THAT is
    something no employer can do much about.