Thread: Brushes So Easy a Caveman Could Do It....

Loves ordinary miracles SuzanneBender's Avatar

Brushes So Easy a Caveman Could Do It....

I have to share this one. I went to the MAC at the fashion center yesterday in search of a new liner brush and eye shadow foundation. Thanks for posting the video link Karren. It was informative and inspiring. Ohh and thanks to the weather man for giving me snow days on behalf of my boss.

Anyhoo one of the girls talked me into a chair and we were in the midst of experimenting with some eyeshadow when this guy came in. When another SA asked him what she could help him find he said his wife had asked for a set of MAC brushes for Valentines day.

At first I was thinking yeah right his wife and I am gonna shoot golden eggs out of my kester too. In true male gorilla fashion he proved they were for his wife. When the SA asked what brushes she needed he said MAC brushes. She then explained the different types of brushes and said she could set him up with a good selection that any woman could use. I was impressed with her sales technique and the way that she was not only calming his inner caveman but driving him toward a nice sale.

The came the coup de gras. He asked how much the brushes were and she told him. His reaction....

"For that money she better be able to not only put make up on with the damn thing she better use it to paint the house" and he stormed out.

My SA and I shared a giggle and I couldn't resist saying,"Men they just don't get it." The woman in the chair in front of me gave a "hallelujah sister".

Looks like someone is just going to get for Valentines day.
    Last edited by SuzanneBender; 02-10-2010 at 07:18 AM.
    See yourself as a soul with a body not a body with a soul" Dr. Wayne Dyer

Gold Member
    He probably found the brushes he needed at Ace......

Gold Member
    LOL. Love it. That's a "I wish I had been there" moment.

Clear Air Turbulence Joni Marie Cruz's Avatar
    How typical. I bet if it was tools for whatever his indulgence is he'd feel different about it.<lol>

Hugs...Joni Mari
    "Because equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who's confronted with it."

--Joss Whedon, to a reporter who asked, "So why do you create these strong women characters?"

That was way too funny Suzanne!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Joni Marie Cruz View Post
    How typical. I bet if it was tools for whatever his indulgence is he'd feel different about it.<lol>

Hugs...Joni Mari
    Isn't that the absolute truth?

Quote Originally Posted by Miranda09 View Post
    Yeah, and we can truly feel sorry for his wife who won't be getting any MAC for Valentine's day. That is if his story holds true. But imagine, "hey honey, I got this pack of 20 hobby brushes from Ace for less than half the cost of a single MAC brush. I even spraypainted the handles pink for you. Aren't I such a peach???"
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

But....I'm a caveman..yadda yadda insensitive clod.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slashdot#Culture

Quote Originally Posted by SuzanneBender View Post
    When another SA asked him what she could help him find he said his wife had asked for a set of MAC brushes for Valentines day.
    Bwah ha ha. Immediately when I read that, I thought. "poor guy, boy is he going to get a shock at the sticker price"

When the SA asked what brushes she needed he said MAC brushes.
    Poor guy...he doesn't KNOW!

She then explained the different types of brushes and said she could set him up with a good selection that any woman could use. I was impressed with her sales technique and the way that she was not only calming his inner caveman but driving him toward a nice sale.
    A very nice sale, You could buy a eyeshadow, liner, lippie, gloss, foundation, powder, lipliner, mascara, blush, setup at MAC for less than a brush set.

The came the coup de gras. He asked how much the brushes were and she told him.
    Close to $200? Foundation brush, powder brush, at least two eyeshadow brushes, liner brush, blush brush, lippie brush. That's a basic starter set.

His reaction....
    "For that money she better be able to not only put make up on with the damn thing she better use it to paint the house" and he stormed out.
    Well, considering jewelry is even more expensive, he should have got the brushes, which would make any makeupista as happy as a nice diamond set.

My SA and I shared a giggle and I couldn't resist saying,"Men they just don't get it." The woman in the chair in front of me gave a "hallelujah sister".
    Heh.

Looks like someone is just going to get for Valentines day.
    I might have took pity on him and told him to check Tarzhay for the Sonia Kashiuk brushes, because maybe his wife didn't even know how much the MAC brushes are. I don't have any.

Quote Originally Posted by Sara Jessica View Post
    But imagine, "hey honey, I got this pack of 20 hobby brushes from Ace for less than half the cost of a single MAC brush. I even spraypainted the handles pink for you. Aren't I such a peach???"
    Actually, some makeupistas DO use certain hobby brushes. I have a couple that work well for eyeshadow use. But I am desiring some MAC shadow brushes like all the YouTube makeup mavens have...that and that 120 shadow Pro palette. I'm tempted to see if I can make it to Sally's Beauty in Bloomington-Normal tomorrow to see if they have any nice inexpensive brushes, but I need to replace my hair dryer.

Veronica Rogers
    Last edited by VeronicaMoonlit; 02-10-2010 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Ack! I misspelled Sonia!
    If you believe in it, makeup has a magic all it's own -- Sooner or Later (TV movie)
    We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be?- Marianne Williamson
    Have I also not said that "This Thing of Ours" makes some of us a bit "Barefoot in the Head"? Well, it does.

What a Neanderthal.
    Angie

If he had wanted tools from Home Depot or Sears I'm sure money would have been no object. I can speak from experience as my other self usually feels the same.

Complex Lolita...
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzanneBender
    The came the coup de gras. He asked how much the brushes were and she told him. His reaction....
    [SIZE="2"]The unfortunate caveman* should walk into an art store someday and learn the facts of life about decent brushes – MAC brushes would seem cheap by comparison. A single, decent sable watercolor brush, hand-crafted from hairs that curve just-so and come to a point perfectly, will set you back $100-$200, but it will last for decades. You can’t expect a gorilla to appreciate tactile things like brushes, sensitively made for sensitive tasks like makeup application or blending. The poor woman, saddled with such a cheap, uninformed SO. Maybe she wants the brushes to help her look attractive to someone else (i.e. better). I’m sure our hero wouldn’t balk at the high cost of fishing tackle, deer urine, an autographed baseball, a collectible Bowie knife or decent beef jerky (if indeed there is such a thing). Come to think of it, you can get decent jerky at Pat’s in Liebenthal, KS…

*This is precisely why the erudite Geico cavemen are so…amusing! [/SIZE]

Loves ordinary miracles SuzanneBender's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Frédérique View Post
    I’m sure our hero wouldn’t balk at the high cost of fishing tackle, deer urine, an autographed baseball, a collectible Bowie knife or decent beef jerky (if indeed there is such a thing). Come to think of it, you can get decent jerky at Pat’s in Liebenthal, KS…
    Some of the best jerky in the world. I am sure that is exactly what went through this guys head. If i by these brushes I am going to have to put off buying my deer urine for a month!

Quote Originally Posted by BrendaAlexandra View Post
    If he had wanted tools from Home Depot or Sears I'm sure money would have been no object. I can speak from experience as my other self usually feels the same.
    I used to be that way but something within me has snapped. Actually two snaps in the back! I went a month ago to buy a new cordless drill and opted not to go with the Dewalt or Milwaukee because all I could think about was if I by the Ryobi I will save enough money for a couple of new pair of shoes. Arrgh I have turned into my wife....

Quote Originally Posted by VeronicaMoonlit View Post
    I might have took pity on him and told him to check Tarzhay for the Sonya Kashiuk brushes, because maybe his wife didn't even know how much the MAC brushes are. I don't have any.
    Oh she knows, but I am sure she never expected him to actually have the fortitude to walk in there and ask for them. I thought the same thing because I am happy with my target brushes and nine west DSW heels. However, I am not about to tell someone in a MAC store to go shopping at Target when I am in the chair. I can see the result of that opps sorry just poked your eye out with this brushes clumsy little me.

Actually, some makeupistas DO use certain hobby brushes. I have a couple that work well for eyeshadow use. But I am desiring some MAC shadow brushes like all the YouTube makeup mavens have...that and that 120 shadow Pro palette.
    You know that is true. Maybe this guy was to cunning for our own good. In fact I think a saw a glamour magazine tucked in away one of his shopping bags.

Right there with you. That palette is awesome.

Yeah, and we can truly feel sorry for his wife who won't be getting any MAC for Valentine's day. That is if his story holds true. But imagine, "hey honey, I got this pack of 20 hobby brushes from Ace for less than half the cost of a single MAC brush. I even spraypainted the handles pink for you. Aren't I such a peach???"
    That 2" angle brush works great for powder, blush or stain!
    See yourself as a soul with a body not a body with a soul" Dr. Wayne Dyer

I think the Dollar store has some brushes he could use
    Put a little lipstick on you'll feel better

Quote Originally Posted by SuzanneBender View Post
    However, I am not about to tell someone in a MAC store to go shopping at Target when I am in the chair. I can see the result of that opps sorry just poked your eye out with this brushes clumsy little me.
    I would have got up out of the chair and followed him out, because as you said, saying "Check out the Sonia Kashiuks at Tarzhay" inside the MAC store would have caused me to end up with the pointy end of a brush or stiletto heel in my brain.

Veronica Rogers
    If you believe in it, makeup has a magic all it's own -- Sooner or Later (TV movie)
    We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be?- Marianne Williamson
    Have I also not said that "This Thing of Ours" makes some of us a bit "Barefoot in the Head"? Well, it does.

The best of both worlds Kathi Lake's Avatar
    Right there. To your left. No, your LEFT! Yes, that's it. Hi.
    I have a few MAC brushes - foundation, large and small eyeshadow and one for blush/bronzer only. I love them. I started, however, with some artist's brushes, and eventually graduated to big-girl brushes.

I'm assuming our poor caveman is either newly-married, unhappily married, or a big fat jerky-head. If a newlywed, the poor dear just doesn't yet understand how this whole "marriage" thing works yet, and how the whole "give and take" with your wonderful wife works. Give him time. If he's unhappily married, why please the wife? Is it going to make his marriage less sucky? Finally, if he's a big fat jerky-head (highest probability), then his own selfishness is preventing him from wedded bliss. He either hasn't learned, or doesn care to keep his wife happy. If my wife asked me for a MAC brush set, I would willingly buy it for her. One, because I know what good brushes can do. Two, because I could borrow them when needed. Three, because it would be a good excuse to go to the MAC counter - one of my favorite candy stores - and have a ball!

Kathi

Must have been my brother
    No these are not womens clothes!! THEY ARE MINE, EVEN THE HEELS. (update 4/01/10) THEY ARE NOW ! ! !

WOW!!!! And I thought that the brushes that I got at Ulta's were expensive. To fill in with the brushes that came with the Bare Minerals set. Home Depot sells 2" paint brushes, in a 3 pack, for cheap.,,,BJ

Sounds like sticker shock....LOL

I wouldn't hold it against the guy, if he's like most guy's, he wouldn't have a clue...but if he was an artist, then he'd know any high quality brush would cost a lot..But it could simply be that he didn't have that much money to spend..or he's just a cheapskate..

Too bad he stormed off so soon, because maybe the SA could of convinced him to buy at the very least get a couple brushes to start off with instead of the whole set which is very pricey indeed..But it seems that she went for the big sale all at once & lost.

I just feel bad for his wife, she obviously knows quality, but she may have had a brain fart marrying this guy..lol
    [SIZE=3]Karen[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]I really do have the...Right To Be Wrong.. [/SIZE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkSTG...eature=channel [SIZE=2]and my mistakes will make me strong![/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Just call out my name...and I'll come running...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SxTo...eature=related just lovin classic JT again...[/SIZE]

Clear Air Turbulence Joni Marie Cruz's Avatar
    Maybe the SA could have appealed to his male sensibility about tools in general (which women also have, I shouldn't make it sexist). After all, you can't work on your car with just a pipe wrench and a pair of needle nose pliers, you need the right tool to do the job right. Besides if you spend money upfront on decent tools you won't be replacing them all the time, so in the long run you actually save money.

At least this is how I justify spending, oh say, $50 for a pair of scissors for flytying to my wife.

Hugs...Joni Marie
    "Because equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who's confronted with it."

--Joss Whedon, to a reporter who asked, "So why do you create these strong women characters?"

Girlfriend that is just too funny! Bet his wife will go out and bye the brushes anyway!

Aspiring Model/Actress Jennifer Lynndon's Avatar
    The sad part is that MAC brushes were available on sale over the Holidays. They were on sale for an average of just $10 each; three different sets of 5 brushes each were available for $50 per set ... sorry girls ... I should have posted it up here
    Some of their brushes retail for over $40 each!
    I bought all three sets ... I LOVE tools ... and I just can't pass up a good sale!

Smile

even i have put out the cash for a more than hand full of mac brushes.

if one wants to do a good job, one needs a good tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Lynndon View Post
    Some of their brushes retail for over $40 each!
    :
    Yup, not cheap by any means, like $52.00 for a large powder brush....

One could easily dump $200 on the just essential brushes...and lots lots more if you need to have them all.....lol

http://www.maccosmetics.com/flash/br...der/index.tmpl
    [SIZE=3]Karen[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]I really do have the...Right To Be Wrong.. [/SIZE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkSTG...eature=channel [SIZE=2]and my mistakes will make me strong![/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Just call out my name...and I'll come running...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SxTo...eature=related just lovin classic JT again...[/SIZE]

aw just wait.. im sure things will be interesting in about 9 hrs...a good friend works for mac... and she knows i need better fun toys... and she knows how to get me to buy.... so i wouldnt be supprised if i end up doing the same... and i know what quality costs.... i have 100k tied up in my tool boxes for work...

Maybe he should have got a lesson... and used the 20% off or whatever you get

Quote Originally Posted by Miranda09 View Post
    Have you see the new 6" foundation roller? Works a treat, and puts it on so thick you'll never need concealer again!
    Last edited by Blaire; 02-12-2010 at 06:25 AM.
    Life is simple math: Expectations - Realisations = Disappointments.
    Tell ya what... I won't be too easily annoying, if you won't be too easily annoyed!
    Blogging | Twitter | Google+ |
    Acceptance comes in asking yourself the questions... and not caring what the answers are.