Thread: New Orleans Trip

New Orleans Trip

My wife and I are headed to New Orleans in a couple of weeks for a girls weekend. I've been there several times but never as Theresa. I was looking for some tips and advice from girls from around the New Orleans area or have been there before enfemme. We'll be in the French Quarter

1. What does everyone wear this time of year? What goes as casual during the afternoons in the French Quarter? How about Bourbon Street at night? Any "rules of the road" so to speak?

2. We'd like to have dinner at some of the nicer restaurants in the Quarter, especially Commanders Palace. Are they all accepting of TG people? Or are there some that are better than others regarding that? I wasn't certain whether all the restaurants were as accepting as others. What does everyone wear out to dinner or does anything go?

3. We plan on shopping the antique shops and similar shops during the afternoon in the Quarter. Might even get down to the mall via cab. I understand we'll be able to walk around and browse the shops without too much negative attention? Any tips?

Thanks
    Something happens and I'm head over heels.

You can read about my latest trip to the French Quarter here. To answer your questons:

1-Check the weather forecasts before you leave, but expect it to be cool. New Orleans is a very casual town, so unless you're going to dinner at someplace formal jeans and a nice blouse will work. When I went shopping in the Quarter I wore a mid-calf broomstick skirt, t-shirt and a jacket over that and did not feel overdressed.

For an evening on Bourbon Street? Again, casual but maybe a bit more dressy. Don't wear anything you will worry about getting damaged-Bourbon is always crowded and not the cleanest place. Also, like any major city you need to be aware of what's going on around you.

2-Commander's Palace isn't in the Quarter; it's in the Garden District, and it's one of the best in the city. There are some excellent places to eat in the Quarter; one of my favorites is the Green Goddess on Exchange Alley. As long as you are a "lady" there's no problem with eating anywhere. I'd suggest wearing something nice, but not overly dressy. A nice skirt and top will always work. I'd stay away from anything too nightclubbish-really short skirts, dresses that show off too much, etc.

3-If you're going antique shopping, you might also try Magazine Street in the Garden District. Again, dress casually, remember your manners, and you'll be fine. Most people don't really care as long as you're not acting stupid. Oh, and wear comfortable shoes. You're going to do a lot of walking and the sidewalks and streets are tricky even in flats.

I'm not sure which mall you wanted to go to but the largest one in the area is Lakeside in Metairie. If you're confident enough to go into a major shopping center on a weekend with lots of teens and families around, you'll be fine.

If you have more questions or need suggestions, please ask. I ought to get on the convention bureau's payroll!
    Countess in exile
    Keep Calm and Dance to Morrissey
    Z and the Universe
    I'm also on Twitter and Facebook

Trip Report - New Orleans

Well I'm back from my New Orleans adverture and it was as wonderful as Diva said it would be. Thank you for the great advice Diva.

I'll post more later this week when I have more time but suffice it to say that New Orleans is THE place to enjoy good food and good times in a very accepting environment. I had absolutely no problems enfemme the entire 4 days and had so much fun in the restaurants, clubs, and even participated in the St. Josephs Day parade (kinda of a mini-Mardi Gras, it was a blast). Went shopping at the Riverside mall, walked the riverwalk, drank Hurricanes in Pat O'Briens at night and had brunch in the late morning.

Here's a picture of me at brunch at the Royal Sonesta hotel Sunday morning. They had about every sort of food item you could think of, fresh fruit, veggies, oysters and shrimp, eggs, waffles and a huge table of cakes and other deserts. It was sooooo delicious and very relaxed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Something happens and I'm head over heels.

I am so glad you had a great time, and you look wonderful!
    Countess in exile
    Keep Calm and Dance to Morrissey
    Z and the Universe
    I'm also on Twitter and Facebook

Aspiring Member
    Theresa, from your picture, I doubt if anyone knew that you are a CD. You look totally fem to me.
    Sheri

Theresa,

Come back and join many of us in the Big Easy October 30 as we sail out of New Orleans for 5 days on the Carnival Triumph - we have rooms reserved for our group both before and after the cruise at the Embassy Suites Convention Center. Info at www.pmpub.com/holidayatsea.htm.
    I love being "gender gifted"! www.pmpub.com

Melanie,
    Pat and will be there! I will send my reservation check in two weeks.
    Hugs,
    Tootsye