Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question

Question Question

I hope no one is offended by this question, but it is something I have noticed on the forum... Why do you refer to your female/CD self in third person? It confuses me because you are the same person, with the same feelings, likes and dislikes, are you not? From how Veronica explained it to me, there is no diffrence between her and M****** because, again, they are the same... I don't even think of her as M****** any more, but to me, they are still one and the same... Does this make sence, or is this a late night, percoset fuled rambeling?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]These are my new favorite shoes and yes, I wear them with sparkely tights and pink skirts!

Personally, I'm glad you brought up this subject, it's confused me too. I never really had the inclination to refer to myself any differently, although I felt differently. I kinda always thought it would be fun to have a GG give me a name based on how she related to my feminine side. And when I finally had that happen, my GF and I used it primarily as a codeword, but it was fun. My current GF also came up with a name and it's also fun. But she tends to use it as if refering to a third person after a while it became confusing for me. I would find myself talking about myself but using an arbitrary name. It might be easier for her to process this new experience by using a third person name to talk about this new side of the man she was drawn to, so I cut her major slack.
    Personally, I like to take all the credit for my transformation...doing my own make-up and finding my own sense of style, that stuff took a lot of dedicated long-term effort!...I'd like to be appreciated as a man for my unique ability to change from masculine to feminine and back, and not have to give any credit to a temporary name. It's all the same person.
    But that's just me!

I don't do it intentionally really but find I do talk about my two sides based on who is writing on the post at the time? it helps I suppose in keeping them apart as Gillian is deeply hidden in my day to day life and I can only express my thoughts as her when I am dressed and being her? Maybe misguided I will look at that, as it is a very interesting point you raise.

I don't have a much deeper answer than that I'm sorry. I could also add that if I had the choice my male persona would be the smaller and dissapearing portion of the discussion as I adore being me and being Gillian as who I am now.
    Gillian.

Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Hi..

Just done one like this on one of our other forums .

For me being a androgyn how could i because im both , i could not seperate one from the other . & even my thinking was some 50 years ago at 10 i never saw the difference between female & male when you are born with both sets of thinking you sort of just think its okay . & i never ? it , regardless of how your body looks .
    Mind you your clothes do reflect how you are in side i did know that yet what did not make sence was i was not in some ways like girls never mind does not matter now as all i wear are female clothes . & can express my self as who i am
    so really i tryed the other side if you like & it was not totaly me.
    being a woman in many ways is right .
    So to talk in the third person . did not seem right & i have wondered why others have & do that .
    The ? does come up can you intergrate both female & male . & see your self as one person . so no matter what you do its still you . just the clothes may change how you do things or we dont wont to accept we are both .
    the thrd person reminds me of a t v program of harry Lime in the 60 s
    the answer is no i dont see my self that way .

...noeleena...

I don't. I'm just me, with a different appearance at times.
    [SIZE="3"]Gender is a state of mind[/SIZE]
    LGBTQ PRIDE
    As of Oct. 5th, go here to see my pics:http://www.flickr.com/people/fab_karen/
    A Yankee Doodle T-Girl
    proud of my President

"The Rock won't stand for this non-sense...

IF YA SMEEEEEEEELLLALALALALALALALOOOOOWWWW...

What the Rock....

...Is cookin!"

This is honestly what I think of when anyone does the third person thing. (If you weren't watching WWF circa 2000, you wont get it)
    Im not sure whether this classes as a mild form of multiple personality disorder.

Personally, I tend to reffer to my guy stuff and my girl stuff and their respective modes (Ie en femme/ in guy mode)
    There really is a thick culture on here where this way of talking is dominant, and it seems to be a little catchy.
    Noobs (newer than myself) seem to be picking it up.

Now unless it's a common thing for some CDs to ACTUALLY see themselves as two distinct people, then it does strike me as a little odd.
    I even read something yesterday that someone put about being electively ambidexterous (right handed when in guy stuff, and left handed en femme), and no offence to whom ever it was, but this too strikes me a weird.

When I dress, I am me.

In a dress
    Samantha -x-

We both refer to Debs in the third person when he is in male mode, and perhaps why so many CDERS do it while on here is because they are in male mode when posting on here ............ just a thought
    I allow myself to set healthy boundaries ..... to say no to what does not align with my values, to say yes to what does.
    Boundaries assist me to remain healthy, honest and living a life that is true to me

50's Housewife Wannabe Madilyn A.'s Avatar
    Never gave it any thought, however when dressed I always refer to myself in the feminine, when drab sometimes refer to myself as Madilyn, I think the key here is my nail polish color, if RED I refer to myself as Madilyn and not in the 3rd person. Interesting concept ?
    Believe in the impossible dream, dreams do come true !!!

www.flickr.com/madilyna

Madilyn

For myself it goes way way back to the secret identity thing with Super Heroes. Even if their identities were known, they often referred to themselves in the third person. Sometimes when the "power" is highlighted the thought is that "so and so" is doing it and not the mere mortal half.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

...And... Action!
    I've given this a lot of thought myself, even discussed it with someone as recent as last night.

From what I gather after having read more than a few threads on the matter over the last few years, different people have very different reasons.

The most "extreme" cases I've come across.. Were some I found very unhealthy and hard to take in, while other cases seem very healthy in a sense that it helps them find balance.

I remember reading a very heated discussion where some crossdressers were claiming that they were different people, and that their femme self was in no way related to the life the male self lived.. So it was ok to, as I see it, cheat on their spouses when en femme, because they were in no way responsible for what that person was doing.

In my mind.. How they perceive their feminine side and how comfortable they are with it, how detached or connected they feel to it, must have a lot to do with their own individual personalities, traits, experiences etc.
    [SIZE=3]~Moe ~ [/SIZE]

That drives Karren nuts too.. Lol.

I hate that.. Personally I'm me no mater what I wear... I don't go out as Karren or Karren doesn't go shopping.. Me myself and I go shopping.. It irks me so much I don't even respond to posts where anyone referes to themselves in the third person..

Karren agrees with the above statments!
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

It has to do with wanting to be addressed by the appropriate pronoun. For a TG who is not full time, referring to the self as him or her, or by alternating between guy and gal names is a convenient way to describe the switching back and forth.

Also, we are all conditioned by our culture's insistence that there are only two gender choices, as is evident on any form: either male or female. So again, for someone who has no wish to be full time as either gender, the tendency when going back and forth is to think in terms of either he or she rather than as an "I" that would accurately convey a combination of both.

The ideal would be to add gender-neutral pronouns to the English language in order to recognize the non-binary states, other than "it". Then maybe the TGs who do identify as being sometimes he and other times she, or who believe themselves to be always s/he, would begin thinking of themselves as being always "hir". The trouble with "hir" and "s/he" is that if works in writing but not when you speak it.

So we need to find better pronouns and then get the rest of the world to start using them in everyday language.

... oh, and change all the forms to include an "Other" gender.
    Last edited by ReineD; 02-15-2010 at 09:34 AM.
    Reine

*does terrible English queen impression*
    We are not amused. Now bring us some tea. Pip pip!

Joking. What I was told is that some people prefer to be in either male or female mode, not somewhere in between, so calling the mode they are not in at the moment in third person helps them keep the two sides separate. To each her own, right?

Complex Lolita...
    Quote Originally Posted by bethany356
    Why do you refer to your female/CD self in third person?
    [SIZE="2"]I don’t, unless it’s contained in the title of a thread for clarification. Also, from time to time, I’ll pop my femme name into a post for humorous purposes – it’s actually a subtle dig at those who refer to themselves in the third person all the time (it seems). I think it’s funny, but I didn’t have a female/CD name until I joined forums like this one and found out it was mandatory…

Of course, it’s kind of cute to say something like “Freddy didn’t get out today,” rather that get into a long-winded descriptive story that essentially says the same thing, albeit in a less truncated way. Most girls are doing it, so it’s kind of a CD (MtF) version of the secret handshake…[/SIZE]

Platinum Member
    I know that some people on here refer to their fem side in the 3rd person. I do not...feel that I'm one entity...regardless of how I am dressed!

i am one and the same in both modes, apart from a wiggly walk in en femme mode.

Aspiring Member
    Bethany,
    I think the answer to this interesting question goes back to where the person is with accepting his/her gender. I know a lot of CDs (particularly the Tri-Ess members) who view their femme persona as separate from their male persona. This may be to keep peace with their wives who may not be comfortable with an "unconventional" spouse. People who are unattached have more freedom and may integrate the masculine/feminine identity.

Society still stigmatizes men who appear as "sissys", so divorcing the femine part of their identity allows them to maintain the fascade of being a conventional man with only the "hobby' of dressing up.
    Warmly,
    Sheren Kelly

It's all about communication shorthand

It is easier to say, "Mina went shopping today" than to say "I dressed up enfemme and went shopping today." Four words instead of eight, and we all understood what was being said. Frankly I think this is a non-issue unless the s/he in question truely has a split personality or is using this as an excuse to "do bad things" enfemme because they "are really a different person" when dressed enfemme.
    Mina Lost aka Lynda

Aspiring Member
    Some people do indeed seem to have split themselves into two different people. They even have different tastes in music! I don't quite get that, myself (ourselves? )

Quote Originally Posted by Moe GG View Post

I remember reading a very heated discussion where some crossdressers were claiming that they were different people, and that their femme self was in no way related to the life the male self lived.. So it was ok to, as I see it, cheat on their spouses when en femme, because they were in no way responsible for what that person was doing.
    I see this a lot, it's also what bugs me about the "pink fog" argument sometimes too. Like it's a blank permission slip to do things you might consider inappropriate. Even before I stopped dressing en femme, I started only using "Alyssa" as a screen name, I remember being out at a bar with a gg friend and a girl she was friends with asked me my name and I just said "Ryan," without hesitation.
    -------------------------------------------------
    ~Riley
    Check out my trans themed standup on YouTube!

My Tumblr Blog

Worlds Prettiest Dad!!! Jocelyn Quivers's Avatar
    In all honesty I confuse myself in this manner because I often post in the third person.

I don't even half way understand why I do this I guess the easiest answer I can give is that there is a 3rd gender neutral me, a male side, and a female side.

Both male and female sides are distinct seperate entities with their own wants, thoughts, and needs. Usually when posting I am in the mind set of the neutral gender or female one.

I hope this helps, although I seem to have confused myself even more after writing it.
    [SIZE="3"]MUSCULAR GIRLS ARE PRETTY!!![/SIZE]

Current Inspirational Song-"Running Free"- Kissin Dynamite

M-E-A-T, M-A-C-H-I-N-E, MEAT MACHINE!, MEAT MACHINE!!!
    The Governor for President 2016!!
    All I want for Christmas is an Anita Model Synth

I didn't mean to confuse anyone! 0.o But I find all the answers interesting... and confusing still!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]These are my new favorite shoes and yes, I wear them with sparkely tights and pink skirts!

Making a life for Tina! suchacutie's Avatar

One set of data, two modes of expression

(spoken from the masculine perspective): One day my wife and I were having a discussion involving her interest in my opinion on a number of issues. Three hours later my wife was speaking with Tina and asked for opinions on the same issues. My wife explained that she thought Tina could have different opinions....those from a feminine perspective.

Tina is my feminine self. She does have different tastes in food and in wine. She is incredibly fastidious. She really enjoys dressing well, and would never think of working in the garden or any other task involving actually soiling her clothes..not a chance! She likes chick flicks. She has her own crochetting projects and she is interested in books I would never read. She is also left handed while I'm right handed. Her voice is different. She gossips with my wife (or chit-chats, depending upon your view). My wife says that the next time Tina visits, she'll teach Tina how to be bitchy (whatever that actually means!).

Tina has only existed in our understanding for 4+ years. My wife and I understand that she has always been with me and it is fascinating to us to find out who she is. I spent my whole life hating Halloween and any form of play-acting as I was completely uncomfortable leaving what I thought of as my self image. Yet, one day Tina shows up, my wife is buying her a dress and makeup, and suddenly it all makes sense. Also, my wife's relationship with Tina is girlfriend...I am her husband. Tina and I work off the same data base (knowledge and experience) but Tina is committed to being feminine and that takes separation.

This whole separation has helped me to understand a number of things that have been ambiguous in my life, and has brought my wife and I to a closer understanding of each other. It may be the case that Tina and I will merge back together, but somehow I doubt it. I like the freedom that the separation bring to Tina and me.

Tina and me...us!

Just a girl at heart too Kerigirl2009's Avatar
    When I talk about my feminine side I try to keep them seperate because I try to keep them seperate. Although I do know I am the same person. Never to meet face to face. LOL

I know who i am but what i am may depended on from what perspective you look at it and i am really not bothered about that but i can understand the ones who wish to keep to two persona's separate and the SO`s who wish to keep them separate as in that way there is no mixing it up as they will be one or the other , it is really quite a simple way of dealing with a situation that might otherwise cause some problems in a relationship.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Joanne