Thread: Proud moment at work

Proud moment at work

I'm out in the vast majority of my life but aside from a few people I feel comfortable with, I feel like it's for the best that I don't really be too open about my CDing at work. I work in a home improvement warehouse store and while many of the employees are cool and laid back, some are the super judgmental conservative types who call themselves christians but don't really get the message.

Anyway today two women came into the store, and when they'd walked away, two of my coworkers were discussing the possibility that one of them was trans. I think she was a sister, but wasn't entirely sure. In general the conversation was pleasant, they weren't really being judgmental, just saying how they weren't always sure how to act or how to refer to someone.

At one point though, one of my coworkers was talking about pronouns, and he said "So anyway I look at it.." and I stopped him and just said 'Pardon me, but did you really just refer to another human being as "it"?' and he looked at me, and to his credit, realized the weight of what I said and seemed to feel bad about it. I then told him that for future reference, transgendered people usually prefer to be referred to by the pronouns for the gender they are presenting as. There wasn't any hostility in the conversation and things weren't uncomfortable at all afterwards, but there was a time in my life where I would have said nothing in the situation and let them just keep talking about it. I'm glad now that even though I'm not an activist, I can at least be confident in helping to educate people.
    -------------------------------------------------
    ~Riley
    Check out my trans themed standup on YouTube!

My Tumblr Blog

oh you're awesome! I think I would have said the same thing
    removed

Quote Originally Posted by JiveTurkeyOnRye View Post
    ...I feel like it's for the best that I don't really be too open about my CDing at work.* I work in a home improvement warehouse store ... I'm glad now that even though I'm not an activist, I can at least be confident in helping to educate people.
    I used to work part time for one of those places where I got to wear a darling cute orange apron. While they may very well say in Corporate hand outs that they are "enlightened" when it comes to employee training, they're sadly lacking. I heard more than just a few comments, that sadly for me, I didn't respond to. ( just wasn't brave enough to be brave and say something) I do know that the "other warehouse" ( those that wear a pretty blue vest ) here in town happens to have a person who is in the process of transition. Never have met that person, but a very good GG friend of mine has met them and said to me that I should get to know them. The poor dear doesn't really fully understand.
    Lead me NOT into temptation
    (I can find my own way)
    I HAVE WALKED THAT MILE IN HER HEELS
    CURTSY to all BOW to [SIZE="3"]NONE[/SIZE]

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...6284/event.png

Quote Originally Posted by Phyliss View Post
    I used to work part time for one of those places where I got to wear a darling cute orange apron. While they may very well say in Corporate hand outs that they are "enlightened" when it comes to employee training, they're sadly lacking. I heard more than just a few comments, that sadly for me, I didn't respond to. ( just wasn't brave enough to be brave and say something) I do know that the "other warehouse" ( those that wear a pretty blue vest ) here in town happens to have a person who is in the process of transition. Never have met that person, but a very good GG friend of mine has met them and said to me that I should get to know them. The poor dear doesn't really fully understand.
    I work for the same one and get to wear the same orange apron. One of our other locations in town actually does have an employee who is going through transition. I've heard that she asked to come to work in our store but one of the managers who knew her from the other location talked her out of it because she knows how people in this store can be, and she just thought it would be a really negative environment for her, especially while she's still in the transition process.

Back to my OP real quickly though, one fun thing was, I was at the front door working as a greeter when the couple came in, and I actually had noticed the boots being worn by the GG companion of the lady they were talking about, and had actually complimented them, by saying they looked like really "fun" boots. The two women then kind of said something amongst themselves and giggled to each other as the woman I'd complimented thanked me.

After the other coworkers had their conversation and I realized these were the women they were talking about, I wonder if their little joke was suggesting that I was a crossdresser too, since I'd made such an enthusiastic and somewhat girly comment on the boots, as opposed to just "nice boots."

If only I'd had on a red rubber band.
    -------------------------------------------------
    ~Riley
    Check out my trans themed standup on YouTube!

My Tumblr Blog

I think your actions show great character. I think it's wonderful that you seized the moment, spoke up, and educated your co-workers. And to their credit, they took the message to heart.

Wendy

You are a model for the rest of us to follow. Thanks.
    - AF

Look girl, act girl, feel girl ... be girl.

Great Job

I have often wondered how I would be treated if I went into the same type of store in a skirt? Well its ok at hte goodwill stores, so soon or later I really need to try it.

Very courageous and Thoughtful...

Very well done, you should be proud!!!
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

That was really cool what you did, you should be proud and I'm proud of you for doing it
    Administrator

Missing my Libra babe Sherlyn, I hope she's rocking up there with the angels
    Missing our Rianna, doesn't seem right, gone to early, hope she's partying with Sherlyn

Way To Go

Your are a credit to all our sisters.

Me
    changing perceptions one on one, one at a time! THANK YOU SOOO MUCH!

Hi Ryan
    Thank you for standing up for all of us , the more people are educated the more we will all be accepted.
    You are a great role model for all of us to follow!
    Again Thank you !
    Tomara

Ryan that ws so cool to do and you never know they probably learned a little more about trans individuals and a little about Ryan. LOL The fact that you said something they may be asking how and why Ryan knew and said what you did. There may be more questions in the future so put your game face on so if it does you are prepared.

Thanks for the help you gave these co-workers. Teri

Good for you Ryan. That was the right thing to do. Like you, 40 years ago I would have kept my mouth shut as well. It is time for everyone to take a step forward and help educate the small minded out there.
    Put a little lipstick on you'll feel better

That's courageous. We should all be thankful to you for standing up for us. Thanks.

[SIZE=2]Thanks Ryan, [/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]What you did shows you have great character, and I'm so proud of you for that.....I only wish more did exactly what you did to put an end to that horrible "it" attitude for good..[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Living things are not an "it", only inanimate objects are.....and creepy bugs..[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Karen[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]I really do have the...Right To Be Wrong.. [/SIZE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkSTG...eature=channel [SIZE=2]and my mistakes will make me strong![/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Just call out my name...and I'll come running...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SxTo...eature=related just lovin classic JT again...[/SIZE]

Faith's Girl Kimberly Marie Kelly's Avatar

Smile Ryan, you are courageous.

Thank you for complimenting the women and correcting your fellow employee's. Like many others have said years ago I would have said nothing, but I hopefully would speak up now, as I'm 24/7 myself and transitioning. You are a model for all to follow. Kimberly Marie Kelly
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    With Love,
    Kimberly

"Count it pure joy when the world comes crashin
    hold your head up and keep on dancin" MercyMe

I disagree with one stastement you made. You said that you are not an activist, you are one. You do not have to yell through a bullhorn at a Pride rally to be an activist. A few quiet words can have more of an affect than a speech to a group. By speaking up yu have taken an active role and have set an example for thr rest of us.