Thread: In the hair.

In the hair.

I was thinking about one of Denise Rhodes threads and anther one concerning females wearing male clothes but not cross dressing or presenting as males and was wondering is it all in the hair, i was tyring to figure out what makes the difference, does that transformation happen when the hair is changed , is that the main ingredient to convince you or others what you are trying to be and until the hair has changed you are just a guy in a dress .
    I know that there is more to it than that but is this one of the key points as far as visual things go.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Joanne

Maybe It's Maybelline

I would think the makeup would play a big part in presentation. For me when presenting myself en femme, I don't feel finished until the makeup is on. Even if it is just a little blush, eyeliner and lipstick.

However I keep my hair long, so maybe my opinion is biased.
    - AF

Look girl, act girl, feel girl ... be girl.

Joanne, every morning I get up and wash the face, put on the makeup and then dress for work. It is then the hair goes on and the transformation is complete. Some mornings on the weekend there is no makeup or very little but the hair is the one thing I would say is the defining moment. Why? It is just how I see it.

Teri

Joanne -
    I didn't own a wig until this past fall, and it made all the difference in the world. I don't think there is any other one item that changes my image as drastically as the hair. While GGs can look beautiful with short hair, I look like a guy in a dress. The longer hair softens my face and the style helps contribute to a feminine image that I can't do with my own hair. The makeup helps me look younger but the hair helps me look more feminine.

Wendy

The key ingredient Hon is really self image. I don't consider myself a guy or girl really, just a person. A person in pants or a person in a dress. You merely add the enhancements as you go along. The bottom line is you get out of it what you put into it. In my case, it's usually 95% attitude.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

1st impressions at a distance

I think that hair style is one of the first ways our brain decides if a person is male or female. As you get closer to the person other indicators will come into play, but I really think the hair style is perhaps not THE key ingredient but is certainly the first ingredient.

Quote Originally Posted by Christie ann View Post
    I think that hair style is one of the first ways our brain decides if a person is male or female. As you get closer to the person other indicators will come into play, but I really think the hair style is perhaps not THE key ingredient but is certainly the first ingredient.
    This actually makes sense. Even in drab I am often mistaken at first as a miss or maam because of my long hair.
    - AF

Look girl, act girl, feel girl ... be girl.

Got to agree with Denise on this one. I have long hair ( just a touch above my shoulderblades) and there are times I get dressed to the 9's and still feel like shit. Then there are times I'm out in the yard doing gardening in gym shorts and a sport bra and feel very feminine.
    Just attitude hun, just attitude.

Long hair not in a ponytail does get looks I am noticing. I have done high ponytails when I needed hair out of my eyes and only one coworker ever said anything. Unless you face is very nuetral or feminine, long hair definitely helps.

I grew my hair long before I took up CDing - it's at about the same length as Stephanie Miller's above. The first time it got to a reasonable length I found something remarkable - I could look in a mirror, and the reflection looked like me, and I didn't dislike it, and I'd never really experienced that before. So I stuck with it and never looked back.

I've had long hair for decades now and it has always worked for me. Like others here, I suspect that a lot of the reason I get "Ma'm"ed in drab is my hair.

But now I'm getting older. Most older women tend to go with a much shorter cut and I'm beginning to wonder at what point my long hair looks inappropriate. But if I go short, will I still be perceived as female? Or will I be more likely to "fit in" and be perceived as female? Or will I just start looking "old?" Or, worst possibility, will I look too much like a guy?
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

Joanne I have long hair but when I go out I usually wear a wig with color. My hair is white
    Put a little lipstick on you'll feel better

my own hair is about 25 inches long and does help,pigtails,french plait,pony tail,loose,loose after an hour with the curling tongs, i think i started growing it out back in 91,
    a old grunger in floral shift dress.
    "Beauty is truth, truth beauty"
    that is all Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.

Keats.

My destiny is before me Brandi Wyne's Avatar
    After looking in the mirror before and after I don the hair, I agree with you on some level. But, being feminine is a lot more than hair. It's about how we feel, act and interact. I'm a relative novice but I am learning that how I feel as Brandi influences how I appear to others.
    [SIZE="3"]Brandi[/SIZE]
    Love life and find happiness where you can.

I'd think hair would definitely play a part in presentation, if only by the fact that it's the second-biggest main focal point of immediate appearances (after clothes themselves). For instance, you ladies may paint your nails, but that won't be noticed until after the hair.

I just spoke with my therapist about hair today. Attitude trumps everything else, but hair is a woman's crowning glory. I have wigs now, but I'm planning to grow my hair out (I'll have to deal with the male-pattern baldness) to develop a more natural looking female presentation.
    warmly, Linnea

A rock chick at heart with shoulder length hair but would love to grow it longer but it never looks good so I keep it Jim Morrison length.........headbanging mayhem when I need it and ponytailed for a professional work look...........although I have just bought a blond Farrah Fawcett wig cause she was gorgeous...wasn't she ? just to see if I felt different......and boy (girl) do I..............although I am too shy to go out but not sure I really want too ?

x

Coulda, woulda, shoulda.. PattiMichaels's Avatar
    Regardless of how you see yourself mentally or in your fantasies, your hair has to match your age, face, and skin tone. I would love to be able to wear my hair in a ponytail, but the fact is that unless I wear an up-do or ponytail all the time, long hair just does not work on me.