Thread: check one more thing off the list

check one more thing off the list

Some things just make you happy and proud. Some things are rights of passage. Some times they happen concurrently.

About 10 days ago I got a call from my niece. She wanted to know if I would go shopping with her for dresses for work. I had never been shopping with her before but in this family I have a reputation. Some would say a bad reputation because I am a shop-o-holic. Yes bonafide in the wool shop-o-holic who has no desire to be cured or saved. I have the closet to prove it. But, I also have a reputation, reinforced and restated here on these boards, that I don't dress appropriately. In short, I dress too...uh... provocative (some have used stronger wording). Not what one would wear to work unless it involved cocktails or something similar (fill in your own ideas).

I was taken aback ( whatever that means) at this invitation. This was for clothing that would be worn in an office setting. Hey, I, like many who hang out here, have pretty good taste in clothes for dressing up. Things that look nice and can look feminine (using our definition mostly) so what could I say? Yes of course. We decided to go Saturday (which would be today but if you are reading this a week from now it would have been last Saturday or how ever many days ago it was) after I finished work.

Of course because of that I would be going in male mode, but in our minds aren't we always fem? Lunch first though and conversation which would cover things we had not talked about for a long time. I thought maybe she would need to talk about the losses of her aunt (my wife) and her older sister but the conversation barely skimmed those and was rather light.

Then off to the mall and four hours of searching racks and racks of clothes. She wanted light, springy, colorful sundress type dresses (which seems redundant to say sundress dresses) and at least one short sleeve black jacket to cover the sun part of the dress. She asked my opinion about some, I chose some for her to try, she modeled some when she wasn't sure. Six stores later 4 dresses, two skirts, a top and the jackets were part of two of the dresses (bonus!).

Somehow ( I don't remember exactly) Dress Barn was suggested (mostly cuz I said "The girls online like Dress Barn). I had never shopped at Dress Barn but off we went for one last stop. I had been very good and not picked up anything for me (amazing huh?) but this was the breaking point. Hey you can't pass up 70% off and now I have another skirt and camisole top. Oh yeah she picked up three more dresses and a skirt.

So as you can plainly see, the right of passage is that, yes I have shopped and bought clothes at Dress Barn. I think that promotes me a level here doesn't it?
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Definitely, Lorileah, you get to check the box for "shopped at Dressbarn" on your life list!

And I think you should check off "shopped with niece" too since, in my book, being asked was a pretty big compliment to you.

You go, girl!

Hugs,
    Persephone.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

Quote Originally Posted by Lorileah View Post
    I think that promotes me a level here doesn't it?
    Definitely Lori ............ to me it confirms you really and truly are nutz, shopping hours and of shopping ... yup definitely crazy ........ but ain't a bargain great and having a cool niece is even greater
    I allow myself to set healthy boundaries ..... to say no to what does not align with my values, to say yes to what does.
    Boundaries assist me to remain healthy, honest and living a life that is true to me

It is great that you went shopping with your Niece sounds like you had a wonderful time.
    Mistybtm

Your niece was also saying ( unspoken ) that she knows no GG's with good clothing taste ( or at least as good as Aunt Lorileah ).

I imagine a big barn with stalls filled with dresses instead of horses.
    Last edited by Fab Karen; 04-25-2010 at 03:15 AM.
    [SIZE="3"]Gender is a state of mind[/SIZE]
    LGBTQ PRIDE
    As of Oct. 5th, go here to see my pics:http://www.flickr.com/people/fab_karen/
    A Yankee Doodle T-Girl
    proud of my President

Lorileah,
    4 hours of "power shopping" with your niece, at her invite, AND making your first purchase at Dress Barn in one day, WOW, that deserves at least a two level promotion, or a medal of crossed stockings with pink star on your CD merit badge.
    Lead me NOT into temptation
    (I can find my own way)
    I HAVE WALKED THAT MILE IN HER HEELS
    CURTSY to all BOW to [SIZE="3"]NONE[/SIZE]

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...6284/event.png

Conratulations!

It is very difficult for me to shop for women's clothes while in drab. So MUCH easier en-femme.

I hope the SA was nice. Dressbarn has that reputation.

Freddy

I've never shopped at the Barn... Sigh... Anyway the Mother-in-law has stolen or misplaced my list... SIGH....
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos