Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Battle Is On

I'll go along with Kelly. Since they made The Claim that you have to be "In Transition," I think it's reasonable that they define what that is! Since The Policy says nothing about Transition, they might be able to "make it up" as they go along, but legal will advise them that "making it up as we go," can be very dangerous.

One other question, do you work under a Union Contract? If it gets sticky, you might want to involve your Shop Steward.

I'm not a Lawyer, but I think they have a big flaw with their policy. It doesn't state "In Transition" anywhere. You can safely claim your transgendered, and that's what That Policy addresses.

It's your call, as others have said, "Do you want to go to War with them?" The only hope I can give you is that I have worked in management positions a lot, and yes; they often do take liberties and make policy on their own....when they shouldn't! This is often how they end up in big, fat, law suits....and that's what makes a lot of Plaintiff's Attorneys very happy!

Peace and Love, Joanie

Dancing in the moonlight Midnight Skye's Avatar
    Yeah... this is an ugly question of what do you want to fight for. And there's a kiss of a fine line in there somewhere as well. Which is to say few of us would argue that your job can ask you to dress up X way on a certain day... but when that standard is different for each sex... and you're in-between where do you fit?

If you yourself are inbetween, then I would respect their attempts to work with you (which by the sounds of it, they honestly are trying to give you as much as they can within their comfort zone). If you want to stay in between and fight for it I would recommend putting something in writing on your concerns and perhaps a meeting. But then I would follow the policy as it stands currently... then possibly later as they've seen you are a solid worker worth hanging onto, push it more... but thats just how I go at things -shrugs-

Either way... you're totally cool for how much you've done so far!!! I just wanted to say that
    Have fun and enjoy life.
    Skye

there is right,

there is wrong,

and then there is a paycheck.

you are well with in your rights to have a skirt on, you could press the issue and ALL gg"s would have to have pants on...NO skirts....would that be a win??

but win or loose, would you be making a frend or for of one who can get you fired?

companys can make it "hard" for you, were you can only take it the hard way...or quit.
    like moved to a dead end spot. less pay, less hours, less everything. or just "downsize" your dept.
    sometimes the squeaky wheel is replaced.

sometimes winning is not quite a good thing. what can you loose here. could you get another job??

loni

I have to say it is disheartening to see so many of us here suggesting that we should be satisfied with the erosion of personal liberty for a paycheck.
    "I don't mind living in a man's world, as long as I can be a woman in it." — Marilyn Monroe

If I were in your shoes, and knowing what we all know now, I would inform HR that you will forego the wearing of skirts, but would they please give you chapter and verse where it states that you can't. I would also give a copy of the state's law to HR so that they have it on file.
    This way HR should realize that you have the right to wear skirts, but are not going to press the issue for now.
    Sherrie Lynn Pall

Sometimes I make sense and that frightens me.

Please don't let me be the last post on this thread

Quote Originally Posted by Loni View Post
    there is right,

there is wrong,

and then there is a paycheck.
    Well stated.

What's this whole thing worth to you?

Could you find another job that would allow you to wear skirts & such w/o all the policy muck? ..then you would win the war but lose the battle. Or work part time somewhere else?
    Thankful for crossdressers.com, great people here have helped me realize who I really am on the inside. (formerly michelle1)

I work for an extremly large corporation with offices world wide.We used to have dress policies for each individual site.Now they have all been replaced a a coverall "Code Of Conduct" which allows them to release you for any reason.Be careful.
    Kimmy 55

I think you have received some good advice here. I could walk in tomorrow and push the dress code limits but I know that it would at least change the way my superiors looked at me. Employers want hard working team players. I wouldn't do anything to make it you against them. That will seriously affect your chances or advancement and possibly even your raises.

I think it still wouldn't hurt to have a sit down with you manager and let them know that you think the dress code does allow you to dress the way you want (within reason) but you do respect their view and are willing to compromise. At least at that point you have put you opinion on the record and let them know that you are a team player. It might actually earn you some browny points.

Kisses,

Allie

Sensible advice from Allie. If this job is important to you, play it their way while you are in the workplace. Then go home and have it your way.
    I think we all have had to do this in lots of small ways, not related to CDing, when working for a big company. Compromise rather than confrontation.
    [SIZE="2"]Always be true to yourself because the people who matter don’t mind, and the people who mind don’t matter.[/SIZE]

Life is more fun in heels Genifer Teal's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kendra Amaya View Post
    Nothing in this policy is intended to violate any state or local laws regarding gender identity or expression.
    The key to what you can wear lies in this statement and what CT law says. Be satisfied with the freedom to dress as you already have at work. In the mean time you can find out more about the law and discuss that with HR if you wish.

Gen