Thread: Another First!

Christian Crossdresser DiannaRose's Avatar

Another First!

Okay, so I'm going out in two and a half weeks...meaning "out" out. Dressed, in public, for the first time in my life.

Before this happens, though, I still need to put a few pieces of the puzzle in place. One of these is getting my makeup right. I've been buying willy-nilly, trying things I think might work, but really haven't got it down yet...particularly foundation.

So I decided I needed professional help. (Well, don't we all!) Since I don't have any friends nearby who could help me, I figured the only way I'm going to get that help is to brave it up and go to a makeup counter. So I did.

Nerves a-flarin', I walked into the Ulta Beauty store in Everett, Massachusetts. In total drab, of course, since I was on my lunch break. An SA greeted me and asked is she could help. Young thing. I asked if she'd be comfortable talking with me about makeup. She got just a little fidgety (but not in a bad way) and referred me to another SA who knew about makeup. (I gather the first girl was new there...a couple of times she came over asking where such-and-such was).

Again, I asked if she'd be comfortable talking with me. She assured me, with no fidgeting or even a blink of an eye, that she would. So off we went.

I asked her about foundation to cover my annoyingly dark beard shadow. She recommended Dermablend, which is the same that Tami recommended for me (thanks Tami!), and proceeded to match my skin tone. Five tests on my cheek later she found one we both thought was a good match. (Actually, it was only four tests later, but she wanted to try one more to be sure.)

To make sure, she covered my other cheek to make sure it would blend properly. Voila! I know what to use under my mineral powder!

Next I asked her recommendation for eyeshadow colors. We bounced some ideas, I told her what I'd be wearing, and we settled on a three-pack of browns (actually, one is coppery, which I hope will look really nice). Finally, I asked her recommendation for lip color. Since I'm putting more effort into my eyes, she thought a more neutral lip color would work.

I may not have a chance to try it all out until less than a week before I go out. I already had mineral powder, eyeliner and blush, so hopefully it'll all fall into place. It kind of has to, because on The Big Night I'll be putting it on in my car. LOL

Renee (my SA) was VERY helpful and professional, and my nerves just died away after a few minutes. I can definitely recommend the Ulta Beauty supply store at the Gateway Center plaza on Mystic View Road in
    Everett, MA as a friendly place. Ask for Renee.

Anyone who's trying to work up the courage to do something like this, you need to just make a decision to do it, and stick with it. It really is all about attitude. Before going in I just said "I'm going to do this, I'm going to ignore any other customers in the store, and I'm going to get my questions answered come hell or high water!"

And I did.

-Dianna
    You can take the girl out of the dress, but you'll never take the dress out of the girl!

Confessions of a Christian Crossdresser - http://DiannaFaithRose.wordpress.com

Congratulations, Dianna! Sounds like you had a very productive lunch break! Good for you!

As for Dermablend, it rocks alright! Since I started using it, I don't worry about beard shadow anymore!

The best of both worlds Kathi Lake's Avatar
    Right there. To your left. No, your LEFT! Yes, that's it. Hi.
    Yay, Dianna!!

I love my Ulta girls! They have always taken great care of me whether I was dressed or not, and I have made great friends there. Can't wait to see your progress. Happy experimenting!

Kathi

Carbon-based Member eileendover's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DiannaRose View Post
    ... hopefully it'll all fall into place. It kind of has to, because on The Big Night I'll be putting it on in my car. LOL
    As long as you pull over and park before putting on your makeup, I'm sure you'll look beautiful.

(Does the CD manual say we have to learn how to do makeup while driving too!?! )

Aspiring Member dana digs sweaters's Avatar
    Hey Miss D.R., two quick tips if you are in your car. Carry a gym bag with male clothes & shoes, also a box of baby wipes for emergency clean ups. Good luck and enjoy yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by dana digs sweaters View Post
    Hey Miss D.R., two quick tips if you are in your car. Carry a gym bag with male clothes & shoes, also a box of baby wipes for emergency clean ups. Good luck and enjoy yourself.
    Planned. And planned.

Baby wipes are already in the car. Gonna find a gym bag in the next week or so. Gonna start transferring necessary items immediately thereafter.

Have I planned this out or what?

(But please keep the tips coming, ladies! I'm sure I'll be forgetting something!)

-Dianna
    You can take the girl out of the dress, but you'll never take the dress out of the girl!

Remember Dermablend is thick. I've had trouble getting it out of some of my pores unless I use something rougher than babywipes. Part of my make-up removing kit is a face cloth and I don't travel without it.
    Kristen

Thumbs up

You should do what I did the frist time I went out. I can't link it but if you go to my profile I wrote all about my first time. Title is "my first time out yaaaaaaaaay". I went to a M.A.C makeup store on a mall. Had them do my makeup and in the privite room I got dressed.

I never took any male clothes with me ever. I figgered since I was out I would be Christina All day and to hell with the other people who see me. But since your going to have to do your makeup in the car them your going to have to do it all differnet then I. Good luck and keep us updated. Good luck and have fun.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC].....................100% Authentic Canadian Cross-dressing Truckdriver!!!!!!!!!

(((((((((((((((((((("I LOVE BEING A CROSSDRESSER")))))))))))))))))))

Link to My 20th high school reunion http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...d.php?t=112976

If you don't like my (honesty) well TFB.

Men are just a single celled orgasm , In a petri dish held by a woman. (Gene Simmons)

Good for you Diane. My father just went into a nursing home in Stoneham so I'll be visiting soon. I'll look up Renee while I'm in the area.
    Put a little lipstick on you'll feel better

Dianna, May I offer a small suggestion? Not to your night out – but to your experience at the Ulta store.
    Write a letter to the manager.
    I have been invited to two different store employee meetings, as Stephanie, for Ulta. Just kind of a who crossdressers are type of thing with a small question and answer period. All in all about 30 min. In talking to the store manager afterward I found out they are more willing to give extra hours to employees that are better rounded to the customer base. ( ie. Are able to communicate with a broader spectrum of customers and therefore able to sell more product ) By writing a letter to the manager, it will give Renee a leg up.

Hopefully it'll all fall into place. It kind of has to, because on The Big Night I'll be putting it on in my car.
    As a veteran of changing in my car I would bring a few extra items.
    1. A blanket if you're going to actually change clothes. It helps in covering anything that will get you in trouble during the transition.
    2. I always bring a lighted makeup mirror. I use one of those power inverters so I can plug it in. The makeup lights on your car mirrors are just useless for makeup.
    3. If not a lighted makeup mirror than at least a 1x 2x mirror with one of those 10x mirrors stuck on it.

Good luck and hope to see you sometime!!
    Sally

Well done Dianna I am so happy for you that sounded like a fabulous trip.
    Gillian.

Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Aspiring Member

Planning and practicality...

>>I may not have a chance to try it all out until less than a week before I go out. I already had mineral powder, eyeliner and blush, so hopefully it'll all fall into place. It kind of has to, because on The Big Night I'll be putting it on in my car. LOL

While you're doing all that planning, you can't go wrong practicing the makeup routine daily. If you have to "shake and bake" in a car, life will be a lot easier if you've done your makeup plenty of times beforehand.

On that thought, try practicing in the car.

Extending on that thought (since you'll find working in a car a hassle), while you're building up your courage consider how silly it is to have to do anything like changing clothes and putting on makeup in a car... "Normal" people do that sort of thing at home, in a hotel room, at a friend's house, etc. You're more likely to get investigated by the cops, to be found by "normal" people to be even more "odd," etc. by doing such a "non-normal" thing. "Only a crossdressing fool would..."

So, I encourage you, as you progress in doing what you want to do, to do it as "correctly" as possible. I'm a practical person and so was my SO. While the SO sometimes had problems with what I was doing, she just couldn't stand me doing things "wrong" either: "For goodness sake, at least MAKE the time - and TAKE the time - to do it right. Don't make everybody look bad by being half-***s about it."

Good luck on your first time out. Most of the real fun will be in the early days. After that, you'll be a jaded woman... Just doing what you gotta do to get by....

Quote Originally Posted by sherri52 View Post
    Good for you Diane. My father just went into a nursing home in Stoneham so I'll be visiting soon. I'll look up Renee while I'm in the area.
    You can mention me, but I never gave her my name (either one). She'll probably remember me, though.

If you're in the area on a day when I'm in the office (typically Mon, Tue and Thu), let me know if you want to do lunch somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Miller View Post
    Dianna, May I offer a small suggestion? Not to your night out – but to your experience at the Ulta store.
    Write a letter to the manager.
    I absolutely plan to.

Quote Originally Posted by Sally24 View Post
    As a veteran of changing in my car I would bring a few extra items.
    1. A blanket if you're going to actually change clothes. It helps in covering anything that will get you in trouble during the transition.
    2. I always bring a lighted makeup mirror. I use one of those power inverters so I can plug it in. The makeup lights on your car mirrors are just useless for makeup.
    3. If not a lighted makeup mirror than at least a 1x 2x mirror with one of those 10x mirrors stuck on it.

Good luck and hope to see you sometime!!
    Thanks Sally! Me too. Are you going to Peabody this Friday? I'll be there (in drab) and on the 19th (dressed!). Still need to thank you in person for your recommendation of Christine!

Everyone else, thank you so much for the encouragement and advice. Rest assured I am taking it all to heart!
    -Dianna

Go girl!

I've never changed in the car, other than just putting on my wig, I've always rented a motel room. That gets a little expensive though.

Sounds like a lot of good advice so far so all I have to add is encouragment: GO GIRL!
    Mina Lost aka Lynda

Good luck on your adventure. I also love the way I'm treated at Ulta. I've been to 2 stores, and the same service at both. Did you sign up for the club card. You get points for the amount you spend. Last ime we were a 6...BJ

Gold Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathi Lake View Post
    I love my Ulta girls! They have always taken great care of me whether I was dressed or not, and I have made great friends there. Can't wait to see your progress. Happy experimenting!

Amen. I had the vision of everyone staring and an uncomfortable SA. Just never happened.

Baby wipes are already in the car. Gonna find a gym bag in the next week or so.
    Don't let them freeze! Did that one and it took a bit more work.

[SIZE=4]Yes! Fear of the unknown is just fear. (Pretty astute, huh?) We create it in our own minds and it is the biggest obstacle we have to overcome. Now that you have tackled this one, the rest are pretty easy.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4]Have a great time and tell us all about it.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4]Tami[/SIZE]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I am a licensed Cosmetologist (hair stylist, not cosmonaut), work as a hair and wig stylist, makeup artist and permanent makeup artist, dressed as you see in my avatar and albums.

My web site www.apparentlyfemale.com

I have over 2,500 pictures on my Flicker site located at http://www.flickr.com/photos/9315394@N02/

Down into the Easy Chair SweetCaroline's Avatar
    Hi Dianna.

Unless something big comes up, I should be there this Friday in Peabody. Myself, or any of the other girls there will be more than happy to give you any advice you need. I've been watching you for a while now, and as far as I can tell, you're doing everything right.

You're going to make us all proud. Good luck!
    Caroline Emily
    Co-Moderator
    SISTERS FAMILY

Gardner Chapter
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sisters_of_gardner/
    Worcester Chapter
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sisters_of_worcester/

Family is the most important thing in the World.

Quote Originally Posted by SweetCaroline View Post
    I've been watching you for a while now, and as far as I can tell, you're doing everything right.

You're going to make us all proud. Good luck!
    Well, I don't know about "everything right"...I have most of the puzzle pieces, but I'm not at all sure how they're going to come together. To be honest, that's where most of my nerves (such as they are) are coming from...I'm the kind of person who has to do something right if I'm going to do it at all.

And I do hope to make you all proud. Or at least not ashamed or embarrassed. LOL
    -Dianna