Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Would you answer a census or survey honestly?

General nuisance AliceJaneInNewcastle's Avatar

Question Would you answer a census or survey honestly?

For the crossdressers and other transgender people here:

1. If you had to fill out a census or survey that asked if you were a crossdresser, transsexual or cisgendered, would you answer truthfully (a) if your SO or others that you know could see it or (b) if you knew that nobody that knows you would see the answers?

2. How out are you?

For SOs:

3. Would you want your partner to answer a census or survey like this honestly?

Banned Read only
    not only no, but hell no.

Banned Read only
    I would. The Privacy Act means that any data which is personally identifying (if they even bother with that anymore) could not leave the Census Bureau. That means that they can't tell other parts of the government about it, unless there is something specifically in law. Those are extremely limited. If you tell the IRS you made $10,000 selling crack to developmentally challenged school children they'll tax you on it and you'll never hear about it again.

I hope to list myself as a MtoF 24/7 CD. But I may chicken out.
    Fulfilling a Lifetime Dream of Living as a Woman in My Adult Years. Ten Years Living 24/7 as a Mature Lady

My Love of Cat's Eye Frames, Bangles, Red Lipstick, Nails, & Cheeks, Comes From My Mother - An Irish Beauty

I'm Always Rainbow Proud

Crossdressing Curmudgeon TommiTN's Avatar
    Name, rank and serial number is all they'll get from me. The rest is none of their damned bidniz.
    Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Banned Read only
    I’m concerned about sharing my information with anyone.

Census information is protected by law, and everyone who works for the census must swear that they will never disclose any personal information. Penalties for any employee who might share that information are severe: up to five years in prison and a $250,000 fine. By law, the Census Bureau can’t share your information with anyone — including other federal agencies and law enforcement. Your information is safe.

http://2010.census.gov/2010census/about/whole.php

No , first off. But I would think it was weird that the Gov would want to know about it.

It would certainly depend on who is doing the survey. If it was our U.S. census asking, then yes I would. I think it is time we really have an honest to goodness idea of just how many of “us” are out there. If the numbers come back as what we think, then it would go a long way towards opening the eyes of our leaders to our “needs”. Would it be kept a secret? Heck, a certain someones birth certificate is still secret – so why worry about me? Oh yea, I’m a little guy and should play by the rules.

But, if it was the neighborhood H.O.A. walking around taking the survey because they wanted to form some kind of opinion as to what would be the most popular neighborhood theme party …. Well then we have a different story here. I still have loved ones that don’t need the harassment, ridacule, sideways glances etc. because of me.

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Miller View Post
    Would it be kept a secret? Heck, a certain someones birth certificate is still secret – so why worry about me? Oh yea, I’m a little guy and should play by the rules.
    If that's a reference to Obama, his birth certificate was made available online. http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/.sha...ertificate.jpg

I thought that was an ironic barb given that John McCain was born on a US base overseas the year prior to when that became recognized as being acceptable for natural born US citizens.

I'm not an Obama fan, but let's get it straight.

heck yes

1) I agree with the "who's asking" caveat, though I am assuming the Census angle. If we ever want to gain acceptance of any substance they need to know we take up significant portions of the population. Regardless what precent that is anything is more powerful than a scattering of celebrities and Jerry Springer guests.

2) currently out to: my little sister, a guy friend and two female friends. However when I reach some arbitrary goals for myself I will probably be out to the world.

ALso: Much respect goes to Veronica for her critical thinking and balance of thought all presented in a classy manner!
    - Natalie

P.S. that's what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R where eliminated.
    -Mitch Headburg

"If you think you think outside the box, you're trapped in one"
    - M.C. Paul Barman

I have absolutely no problem telling anyone who and what I am. My only concern is that if I tell the government, they may look for a way to put a tax on it...

Veronica the only certificate that has been shown is a "Certificate of Live Birth" and not the original "Birth Certificate". There is a huge difference. I don't want to drag this thread off topic so I will P.M. you info on that and McCain. (Didn't say I was a McCain fan either)

Funny you should ask because I answered an ad to work at the Census bureau and I will be dealing with issues like that if I am hired.

In none of the various census questionnaires do I recall any such questions but then I've never had to deal with the long form either.
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. Mark Twain

Carbon-based Member eileendover's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicole Brown View Post
    ... My only concern is that if I tell the government, they may look for a way to put a tax on it...
    Nicole, does this mean they might start taxing stiletto heels and hip pads?

Silver Member
    Hasn't anyone been through a census before?

The US Census Bureau has absolutely NO interest in whether or not you are a crossdresser.

"Are you a crossdresser?", is NOT on the questionnaire.

And the question of President Obama's birth has been hacked to death. Only the intellectually challenged obsess over this any longer. Get a life, for goodness sake.

Stephie

The reason a census is conducted is to find out how many ppl are in each given area so that the services that are required by those ppl can be addressed. If they chose to ask about gender issues then it would most likely be used to decide if services are need for for ppl with gender issues. This being the case I believe that everyone should admit their situation.

That said I would most certainly tell them if they asked. Besides that I am a horible liar and alway feel guilty if I do lie so I could not lie to them.
    Be yourself society doesn't know that there is no such thing as being normal.

If you can't find the silver lining make your own.

When I was in the Army they said if I were ever captured all I was required to give was my name, rank and serial number. I think that was good advise and that's all I'll give, unless they offer me a dozen pair of nylon Shadowline panties.

Smile

if the census paperwork shows up here is goes into the fire.
    NO part of my life is info the goverment needs. they have my tax info, and know i am here...nufe said.

Same here

N,R and S/N nothing more. There is nothing in the Constitution that says I have to tell the gov anything.

Please tell me you all have not fallen for the census secrecy BS. There is NOTHING sacrosanct between any office of the Us gov and you.

Even every item you buy if you use a "discount card" is tracked. usually by the company selling you stuff but it is available to anyone.

The census bureau has your contact info so you get the form mailed to you. It also asks about the number of residents, nationalities, income, schooling etc. If you fail to send it back, they alert you. So the info IS trackable, EASILY.

I own my own electronics biz and 2x a year I get a mailer that offers me catalogued listings of all the information from anyone buying specific gear such a certain brand of laptop etc. This is sold to vendors to allow them to target potential custmers. How do you think you get mail from companies you have never dealt with?

Your only guarantee(?) of privacy is to stay private in all aspects.

The US Gov is no different.

Dancing in the moonlight Midnight Skye's Avatar
    You know... initially I was going to say heck yes! And then I realized I don't trust the governments documentation tactics well...

On the upside the company I work at has a private gay/lesbian/transgendered flag in our company profile and I have that checked! Though I am curious if any of my managers can see it. Not that it'd really surprise anyone... I'm eccentric.
    Have fun and enjoy life.
    Skye

Name, rank, service number, and date of birth. PERIOD.

Government ethics? isn't that an oxymoron , kinda like jumbo shrimp or military intelligence.

The most frightening words you'll ever hear, "Hello, we're from the government, we're here to help you." Run as fast as your heels will allow.
    Lead me NOT into temptation
    (I can find my own way)
    I HAVE WALKED THAT MILE IN HER HEELS
    CURTSY to all BOW to [SIZE="3"]NONE[/SIZE]

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...6284/event.png

I almost put yes straight away but then i do not trust Governments so it would depend on who was asking .
    And i know my wife would have no problem with me putting it on a survey if i so desired ( but i know you are not hearing it from her).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Joanne

1a. No (because of family/others)
    1b. Yes
    2. Out to my SO only

Here in the US,we have a "census" butt... FYI we also have a "constitution" in which it states, that the government is only
    aloud to "enumerate you once every 10 years" know your rights!
    check it out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsDhkPym01k

I Love to be fem
    Yes if it were a government survey as others put it it would be covered by the privacy act