Thread: Therapist in ATL

Banned Read only

Therapist in ATL

Despite the fact that I have reached a really good place in my acceptance of me, my relationship with my wife is suffering greatly ( heard that before, haven't you??). We are very committed to each other and have been thru some tough times together. We take our marriage vows very seriously and really wnat to come to a common ground with my femme persona. We have gone thru counseling before (just before the last purge, as a matter of fact) but our therapist, who was very grounded spiritually and not at all judgmental, obviously did not get us to mutual acceptance/tolerance/etc. We desperately need to talk to someone who has transgender experience but at the same time is not prone to tell my wife "deal with it".

Do any of you have a recommendation in the Atlanta or Nashville areas for such a therapist?

Gratefully yours,

Renee

Not personally sure of any counselors in the ATL, but might suggest contacting the board of counseling there to see if they might provide a list of counselors in Atlanta that work in the area of transgender. Wishing you both the best of luck as you work on this.
    Enjoying the softer side of life!

Smile

i feel for you cuz ive had similer issues,but im in florida,and cant give you good advice.however i do wish you the best of luck in your quest.
    just a florida girly girl...................................what in the world can make this brown eyed girl turn blue(roxette)

Therapist “locator” search engine
    http://locator.apa.org/

http://psychcentral.com/resources/

http://www.genderpsychology.org/links/index.html

I hope it helps you. If you are interested in more resources, just send me a pm.

good luck

E
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Renee, if you don't mind my asking, what specifically does your wife object to? I've seen your pics (you look lovely), you have great taste in clothing, makeup, and judging from your posts you go out quite a bit and you are developing and refining your look and your wardrobe. I don't imagine any of it is hidden from your wife, or rather that she does not impose restrictions on your freedom to dress?

Or do you need to do all of this outside your home when you travel?
    Reine

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by ReineD View Post
    Renee, if you don't mind my asking, what specifically does your wife object to? I've seen your pics (you look lovely), you have great taste in clothing, makeup, and judging from your posts you go out quite a bit and you are developing and refining your look and your wardrobe. I don't imagine any of it is hidden from your wife, or rather that she does not impose restrictions on your freedom to dress?

Or do you need to do all of this outside your home when you travel?
    Reine, my wife is struggling with the whole concept of me being a crossdresser. She is heterosexual and has no interest in my femme side. She is afraid of me being "discovered" (while i get out extensively, I am only "out" to my wife and one other close GG friend) and what that would do to our kids, my job, etc. She is also afraid of where this might lead - transitioning, etc. To quote her, "this has no place in a marriage." So, we are pretty far apart on things. Although she has known about Renee since before we were married, she does not know that I go out publicly. I only dress away from home.

Thee are the issues we need to talk about and find help with.

Renee, I really feel for you. You both are in a rough place now

Dr Laura Berman always suggests http://aasect.org/ to look for a counselor/therapist. Look for one that specialized in *both* sexual and relationship therapy, not just one or the other.
    Thankful for crossdressers.com, great people here have helped me realize who I really am on the inside. (formerly michelle1)

Renee, good luck with this part of your journey. My wife found out a couple of years ago and while we are together, saw a counselor who is very knowledgeable about these issues it still is an issue. I have dialed my dressing back and currently only dress at home when she is away. I want so much more but keeping my marriage together is my top priority. My heart goes out to you and your wife.

Tiffany

Renee,

There used to be a great gender therapist in Atlanta by the name of Virginia Erhardt. I personally know a number of people that benefited from her counseling. She moved to Washington state in 2009. She currently does all her counseling by phone and by Skype. That might work well in your case, as your wife would not have to physically accompany you to a therapist's office. There's more info on her website at: http://www.virginiaerhardt.com/index.html
    Phoebe

I'm sorry Renee. I have no suggestions for a marital counselor familiar with TG issues. But if it will help, you might consider posting where you each stand, and where you feel would be a good common ground in the Loved Ones section. More of our GGs will see it, and although no one will be able to resolve your situation, you might get an idea of how other GGs (who are here because they are supportive) feel and what might be a realistic middle ground for your wife to reach, at least for now.

Please consider doing this. The Loved Ones thread is not open to the public, nor do any Google searches access it.
    Reine

Banned Read only
    Thanks, Reine - i will do as you suggest. Phoebe, i appreciate the suggestion (see you next week!)