Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Growing up without a father

Growing up without a father

How many of you girls grew up without a father? I was 13 when my father passed away and didn't have a lot of manly influince as I was growing up. I can see many of my mothers manerisms in my life and have been asked if I was gay or bi by some people. I am wondering if those of you who grew up without fathers can see your mothers traits come out in your drab life?
    Cathy

Aspiring Member
    I grew up without a father, but I've never been told I have female traits. Sexy legs, well that's another issue; I was born with them.

I think you raise an interesting question. Though, at the same time, it could be said that growing up without a father could lead to a person filling that masculine void in the house. My parents divorced when I was 8. Even though I am a woman, I tend to do the more "masculine" things around the house. Today, I bought power tools. And, then again, I know some CDers that have grown up in a house with both the mother and father. It's a complex world, after all.
    "Today a young man [...] realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration...that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively...there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the Weather.”-Bill Hicks
    “What freedom men and women could have, were they not constantly tricked and trapped and enslaved and tortured by their sexuality! The only drawback in that freedom is that without it one would not be a human. One would be a monster.” East of Eden by Steinbeck

Crossdressing Curmudgeon TommiTN's Avatar
    I was raised mostly by my Mom since my Dad was a traveling man when I was small. Yes, I do notice some of my Mom's personality traits in myself, not to mention the fact that I share many of her physical traits. I look very much like her when dressed and made up.
    Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

This kinda hits home father was never around and I was scared to death of him so I have wondered many times if that might have effected my cding.

Wink There, but not really

My father was around, but not a huge part of my life. Physically, I took after my mother, and I think that my father was disappointed that I wasn't a natural athlete like he was.

I grew up spending a lot of time with my sister, my mother, her sister and my grandmother and great aunt, and most of the kids I played with in the neighborhood were girls.

Today, I know I'm a lot like my mother who was very feminine, but had a great sense of humor and was a lot of fun. I miss her so much. Hi, mom, I love you!

Karen
    Lucky to be a girl 95.33% of the time

Talking Growing up without a father !

[SIZE="3"]I too lost my dad at 13 , Crossdress at 6 or 7 Now 55 try dress when ever ![/SIZE]

I had both a Mom and Dad growing up and have very few traits of either. I developed most of my traits on my own.

My life and traits were developed from being around my childhood friends and the surrounds in my life. Nature was a big part of my life and still is, but the cding started before I could remember. This does not have much of a point, but its a comment on the subject just the same.

I became the man of the house at the age of 2.

Aspiring Member

Grew Up Without a Dad.....Well Sorta

When I was growing up, my Dad was seldom home......He worked two jobs five days a week, and made no secret that he had no time to mess with kids on the weekends.

My sister cross-dressed me from the age of 5 or 6 and he mostly thought it was fine with him

Danielle
    Last edited by Danielle Gee; 03-20-2010 at 09:07 AM. Reason: spelling

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    My father died when I was 13; my mother has said that I'm a lot like him in some ways. We did a lot together as a family when he was alive: certainly not an absent father.

But absolutely definitely the pattern of how other people would tend to treat me was set many years earlier... pretty much in grade 1, whereas my father died at the end of grade 7. I was being called "fag" by grade 5 at latest, maybe even grade 3.

I am NOT a junior sob sob Edwina's Avatar
    My father died when I was 6 months old and my mother never remarried. She said my father put her off men for life and I believe her. We were never close so I doubt that I have any of her traits.

You can add me to the list. My mother and father seperated when I was about 1.

Love Lipstick & Heels AllThingsPretty's Avatar
    A father...... Whats that????????

I never met mine.

I grew up with out a father you could say. he left me and my family "mother,sister and my self in a bus station,before he left he said your incharge take care of the family. so I had the super macho act i tried to hold up,mom worked all the time to support us. I took up working at 12 cleaning people's house and mowing lawns,and would do house work and such around the house. come to think of it my grandfather did a lot of the house work and laundrey and i idolized him never really gave not having a father much thought as to effecting why i dress, maybe there is a connection to my childhood that steered me in this direction
    Your life is a series of moment's,for each one passed is another one lost.

My Dad died when I was 10. He was a good guy and a good father. My drab personality takes after him somewhat and people who know me are sometimes astonished that I dress. I don't see it. There are things about me that are like my Dad but I've always felt like I was a sissy in many ways and the older I get I think to myself there's no point in fighting it,I may as well accept it. I also take after my Mom in some respects but I didn't have a "Mama's boy" kind of rapport and relationship with my Mom. Both my Mom and Dad were very good to me and my siblings but Mom would've thought a "Mama's boy" rapport and relationship would've been very sick

As much as most people love their parents and their family members, In our minds eye we often think of them as kind of a well meaning nuicanse. My Dad and Mom had genius intelligence. And they wore thick glasses and chain smoked. That was the late 50's and the early 60's. "I'm down to 2 a day with the patch" just wasn't in most people's vocabularies. They rarely hit us but they blew their tops and cussed and hollered fairly often. We like our Mom and Dad but we also view them as the nuisances who come in and tell us to "turn off the TV,it's past 10:30" or "Put away your train set right now and for chrissake,get your ass to bed".

With rare exceptions most of us don't think of our Moms as sexy. I always thought mine looked a little bit silly. But it's strange. You do see your immediate family and most all of your close relatives(Auts,Uncles,Cousins)in kind of an asexual light. It's just an opinion but I've gotta say I think that's normal. I had a weird experience. I'n my minds eye I always thought my Mom was an Edith Bunker type and I grew up looking back at her that way. I meant no disrespect to her. Many Moms are an Edith Bunker. That's normal! I was going through some old black and white polaroids and Kodaks in our family pictures and I came across some pictures of my Mom(some of which were taken by me). These pictures dated back to the late sixties and the early seventies. Mom was gourgeous! and I had shut this off in my mind for years. She had teased hair,an all black outfit,earrings,large frame black sunglasses and a cigarette holder in the pictures. I was astonished because I had even taken some of these pictures myself and none of this ever really registered with me!

My parents were good to me. They did their best because they had both been raised partway by step parents and they wanted to take care that they didn't treat us the way their step parents had treated them. Mom's stepmom told her jokingly that she was ugly on several ocaisions. I felt kind of proud of Mom in a strange way when I looked through the pictures. I take those pictures out about once every 6 months and I go through them. Mom's in her 80's now and she lives at my Sister's place over on the other side of Minneapolis. She's still fairly together and could live another 10 years. But anyway,that's the person she was and I didn't even realize it!

I grew up without a father and 3 sisters. I know I have some of my mothers traits and I'd like to think that growing up in a house full of females gave me a pretty good understanding of them. It didn't however influence me to want to try dressing in any way, that was just something I recently decided I wanted to explore...

Never knew the guy was told he was a drunk, started dressing about 4-5 . lived with mom and sister we were poor and i got to wear some of my older sisters old hand me down clothes . Took up his habit at about 14 until I had my own kids. I stopped drinking and have been sober almost 20 years.

Wow!

[SIZE=4]My Father and Mother divorced when I was a baby. I always had a step-father, but I was not close to the first one. I was basically raised by my Mother, Grandmother, and two aunts. [/SIZE]
    One day your life is going to pass before your eye's, Make sure it is worth watching.

Eddie Izzard said it best "I am an action tranvestite".

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bethanyannstratford/

I grew up WITH a father -- an authoritarian, military-trained one, which i have been trying to stop and transform from inside, ever since. Look at your blessings if you emulate your mother.... honor the mother and the Goddess within you.... despite what society thinKs..!
    --------
    Love your woman within...

Know thy self -- Be your true self......

Total opposite for me. Lost my Mom at 13. Was pretty much raised by my 6 sisters (5 of them older than me)! My pop was a trucker and was never really around much when I was a kid. We never really got to know each other until I was in my twenties and we got along very well. He passed away when I was 28 and never knew I crossdressed.
    -Audrey

I donno....My womb donor bailed when I was 6 months old and my Dad raised me and my older brother as best he could. Dad was always dad/mom/best friend. He always encouraged individuality, freedom of self and take no crappedness(?)...I could not have been luckier.

My parents separated when I was 9. My mom moved 400 miles away, and I lived with her.
    I'm equally close to both parents, and see, or keep in contact with them regularly despite having moved around the country.

Intact family, but 4 older sisters. They dressed me up on occasion and had fun with it. O think that's where I get it from...

I pretty much grew up without a father. I had a good stepfather but not until I was about 13. My mother had me when she was very young and my grandmother really took care of me for most of my early years. (She gave me my first pair of pantyhose!)

My actual biological father never knew of my mother's pregnancy. He had moved away shortly after my conception. I started searching for him when I was about 16 years old. I finally found him at the age of 25. It was truly remarkable that I found him and we now have a great relationship.