Thread: Shopping experiences - nervous & exciting or straight forward?

Shopping experiences - nervous & exciting or straight forward?

I have just read Elia's thread about her first shopping trip and it got me thinking about my experiences with buying cd gear.

I have always been comfortable about buying things like bras, panties, suspenders, stockings and lingerie. Even cosmetics and make-up are simple enough as you can always fall back on the line that you are buying for your girlfriend. Buying dresses and blouses has been relatively simple too as you can take these to a change room and the attendant is only interested if you have 3 or 4 items not what they are.

However buying women's shoes has always caused me some angst. It takes some nerve and delicate timing (ie is the coast clear?) to try on a pair of high heels and actually walk around the shop to see if they fit. Also it's hard to get a real appreciation of how the shoes look as typically I am wearing male gear when I go shopping.

What are your experiences?
    What item causes the most nerves and is the most exciting to buy?
    What is the most fun item of clothing to buy?

I now tend to buy my shoes and boots second hand either at op shops or through the sale ads in newspapers. The sale ads are a good source for other items too. While they are curious and perhaps a bit wary when I tell them I'm into cross dressing in the initial phone call, my experience is that the sellers (women in their own homes but with boyfriend/husband/children in earshot!!!!) they are comfortable with me trying on the shoes for sale at their homes. Then other items/garments are suggested for possible purchase!!!!!!!!!

salem

Departed
    Salem,

You are one adventerous girl! I will spend a lot of time going through the racks and shelves but have yet to try on anything in the store. When I see GGs slip on a pair of heels and test drive them I seeth with envy. Maybe it's time to drop the facade and just be myself. Now wouldn't that be nice? It sure would cut the expenses a lot as I never take back anything that doesn't fit. That's how chicken I am in guy mode.

Myself ..i've never bought from a store such as you find in a mall .. all my purchases are from second hand stores goodwill being my fav.. i have bought 4 pairs off shoes there ..and sneaky me ... u can actually just take them off the shelf ,, go into the dressing room and try them on ..hehe if the don't fit i just leave them ..when they do fit i will probably purchase a couple t shirts and if the clerk ..looks puzzled .. i say .. i hope its her size ..coz i know she likes these type of shoes : ] ... same thing as when i buy a top or skirt.... i may even say .... now where did she go she was just here ... lol ...makeup ... thats an easy 1 a certain store here sells groceries and has a pharmacy with 3 aisles of make up ... i just buy some groceries ..go too the make up ..pick out what i want ..holding a list of course..: ] then to the checkout .. last time i bought some false lashes ,,,the girl never even looked up at me ... hmmm ..: ]
    as for panties and bras ... i did that at a walmart store about 8 months ago ...along with some male clothing ... it was hard to do .. coz there's always a chance {even just carrying them around} that i might run into someone i know ..that's scary ..not done that shopping trip since
    Neways .. it is an adventure and it will continue : ]
    Sherlyn

Amelie
    Salem, if you are able to go into strange peoples homes, and try on womens' shoes they have for sale and tell them your a CD, then you should have no problems with the strangers in the shops. I would think going to a strange persons house to buy womens' clothes would be more challenging than going to the mall. I am like you Sherlyn I shop at second hand stores, flea markets, even sometimes from someone selling items in the street. For make-up I would shop at CVS, Rite Aid type drug stores, they don't care what you buy.

Salem you are from Australia, do you know Felicia Jollygoodfellow?

This is my favourite
    Last edited by Amelie; 08-08-2004 at 11:20 AM.

yea Amelie .. i find that the clerks see so much clothing go out the door .. and in the back as donations ..they really don't pay much attention ..although yesterday there was a beautiful.. fancy formal dress i had my eyes on ... lol just couldn't pull it off the rack and buy it .. even tho it was my size too ... somedays the nerve isn't there ..heh
    Sherlyn

Amelie
    Yes I find that the same, if the item is really different, like a gown for the ball or shocking pink go-go boots, It is tougher to buy these type of items, they just stand out more.

lol ... so true ..but if your talking white go go boots .. the trip to the cashier would be necessary ..hehe
    Sherlyn

Amelie
    Thanks Sherlyn, after seeing your photo today, it made me decide to put mine on. I like your hair this way.

Love Amelie

Ty Amelie .. And its great too finally see you : ] you look great in B+W
    Sherlyn

You both look beautful!

Amelie and Sherlyn,
    So beautiful. Girls, go in style - you have it. You've both done so well on the makeup and hair. u have it. Feel good. ou both are beautiful inside and out.
    Love you.
    StephanieS

Amelie
    Thank you ever so much Stephanie, it means so much to me.

Love Amelie

I thank you to Stephanie yourself and this forum are so nice and it makes me feel good : ]
    Sherlyn

Quote Originally Posted by Amelie
    Thank you ever so much Stephanie, it means so much to me.

Love Amelie
    Amelie,
    Does it take you long to get fem? It seems like it takes me hours and then the fussing and looking and then out and the night is too late. It looks like you can slip into a beautful black dress and heels without a second try. Forgive me for asking - but how does one show so much cleavage if one is wearing forms?
    Thank you so much.
    Love Stephanie

Amelie
    I don't know how you can get cleavage with wearing breastforms, I have never worn brestforms. I said in another post all I use are socks rolled up in the bra, it does the trick. If you have small or no breasts you can tape them. You get medical tape cut a length you fell comfortable, some people cut enough to go around the whole back. Squeeze your breasts together then tape them , it sounds easier than done but if you can get results. OOOH NOOO Shave your chest hair first or needless to say it will be painful. You have to experiment with what you got. It takes me about an hour just to do the face make-up.

Love Amelie

lisa_feel_good
    Hi Salem and all...
    New to this site and to crossdressing (about 2 months).
    I like to go to Wal-Mart or Target even Sears on occasion. I usually just get slips, panties and thigh high hose. I have no problem buying the cloths and its so exciting to do it. I even asked another lady customer about sizes...told her it was for my wife.
    Now I haven't brought any shoes yet and really dont want to pay to much for them cause I can only dress for a couple hours on the weeend. Would love to get a pair of black heels, I take size 10 1/2 mens size...what size would it be in womens size.
    Well you all have fun and hope to hear from u soon

Lisa

Amelie
    It is roughly two sizes bigger depending on the shoe. I am 8-1/2 mens and I can take 10-1/2 to 11 womens. Some of those pointy toe shoes you might need bigger. Payless stores are good for trying on shoes even if you don't like the styles, just to see what size you wear.

Amelie

lisa_feel_good

Talking hi all

[QUOTE=lisa_feel_good]Hi Salem and all...
    New to this site and to crossdressing (about 2 months).
    I like to go to Wal-Mart or Target even Sears on occasion. I usually just get slips, panties and thigh high hose. I have no problem buying the cloths and its so exciting to do it. I even asked another lady customer about sizes...told her it was for my wife.
    Now I haven't brought any shoes yet and really dont want to pay to much for them cause I can only dress for a couple hours on the weeend. Would love to get a pair of black heels, I take size 10 1/2 mens size...what size would it be in womens size.
    Well you all have fun and hope to hear from u soon

Lisa

lisa_feel_good
    thank you Amelie...
    will have to go there and look for some...hope they have size 12...
    was gonna order online but could only find size 11...will try Payless...thanks

Amelie
    I think they will have 12's ther are a lot of girls in my neighborhood with big feet.

For shoes...go to a specialty shop

Hello ladies:

The biggest part about shoes is getting the right size. I like many of you first took the trial and error route. After doing some research and estimating my size, I went to Payless and bought three pairs at different times before finding a pair that fit. I wear a men's size 9 1/2 but my woman's size is 12W.

However, the really, really best way is to go to a specialty shop. The hardest part is stepping thru their front door. Once inside, everyone there is aware that you're a crossdressing and accepts you as such whether you're dressed enfemme or in drab. No more pretenses or stares or negative vibes.

Earlier this summer, I visited for the first time a specialty store in my male street clothes. Although a bit apprehensive at first, as I browsed the stacks of shoes, I simply removed my shoes and socks and slipped into a 4" pair of black heels. Oh what a different feeling and experience that was!!! To know that the heels fit and they were the exact size for me...12W.

Once you know your size, all the other methods of shopping on line get a bit easier.

Have a good crossdressing day!

Paula J.
    Love to wear matching bras, panties, and garter belts

Most of my shopping experiences have been with female friends, its way easier for me with a woman because they pick out the clothes and I just give them the money. A couple of times I have shopped alone and I was so nervous I thought I was going to pass out! Now I but alot of things online

Pantyhose for everyone! Jennifer_Ph's Avatar
    I have found that most clerks are helpful when I shop. There are so many men that come in and buy womens clothes that sneak in and sneak out that the clerks are usually happy to talk to a guy that is strong enough to ask questions. Sometimes, if I haven't been to a store, I'll call and ask if its ok for me to come in, and the answer is usually yes. I've made a lot of GG acquaintences at these stores, and once you've gone once you can always go back because they know you. It's their JOB to sell clothing and answer questions - its not up to them to judge the person buying them. Maybe it's my outgoing / fun personality that helps, but I usually have a riot with the clerks while shopping. Many ask me to come back as Jennifer - which I have done in many occasions. As long as you are up front and comfortable with it, so will those around you. So I say shop your heart out!