Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: how passable are you when CDed ?

how passable are you when CDed ?

I feel I'm very passable when CDed accept for my very manly voice so I try not to engage in conversation when in public - what are your concerns when CDed if any ? anything I can do easily to alter my voice ? Do you go out alone or with others when CDed ? - Ellen

What you think matters - that is good. I can now pass but had the following conversation? in a lesbian bar on Sunday.

I went to the bar to get my second beer (two for a fiver) and used sign language to order it.

The girl behind the bar used sign language back with a smile and then said:
    "We are allowed to talk you know"
    "I know, but sometimes it gives me away"
    "Ha-ha-ha I can see that"
    "Hmm, you can hear that?"

Life is fun, enjoy it!
    I strut my stuff, I feel so proud,
    I need to shout, to scream out loud,
    I am Tricia I am she,
    I am who I want to be

http://tricia-dale.blogspot.com/

Platinum Member
    I'm not passable in my view - but as I"m sure you'll learn, that's not the most important standard. I've learned that being happy with one's appearance, despite any shortcomings (real or imagined) is far more important that meeting someone elses standard.

Hi Kimdl93 and you are so correct - when CDed I walk tall in my heels and hold my head high and do that because that is the real me - I love it so much when CDed - thanks for your statement - Ellen

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ellenwannabe View Post
    I feel I'm very passable when CDed accept for my very manly voice so I try not to engage in conversation when in public - what are your concerns when CDed if any ? anything I can do easily to alter my voice ? Do you go out alone or with others when CDed ? - Ellen
    A very dear GG friend commented to me how manly my voice sounds - she also thought I sounded posh but that's 'cos I'm from the South of England and all us southerners sound posh to her

I don't think I "pass" whatever that might mean, but I am generally accepted for who I am and that helps.

AFAICT there is nothing you can do easily to change your voice, but it will come with lots of work and practice.
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity

Hi Tricia - you were busted but in a good way and you must have been more comfortable in there after that - thanks for sharing that with us - Ellen

I find it hard judging that myself. And since I don't go out in the open yet, I can't be very sure.
    I think my looks are passible, or close. My appearance is improving, working hard on that part. My voice certainly is not.

anything I can do easily to alter my voice ?
    Easily? No. But it is possible. There are ways to alter your voice but know that it is a long way of practice, practice, and guess what... more practice.
    "One day Jessy, I'm gonna show you the world..."

God stepped back, looked at Adam, and declared "I can do better than that!" and so He created women.
    The ITer stepped back, looked at the beta results, and declared "I can do better than that!" and so he created the final version.
    Sometimes in the final version, some of the beta crap still remains. I know, because I'm living proof.

Down into the Easy Chair SweetCaroline's Avatar
    I've been told by at least two other T-girls, that I was, in their words, "one hundred percent passable" and another friend who told me that I didn't open my mouth when I went out, I would be indistinguishable from a real girl.

With that said, I really never gave much thought to passing when I go out. I usually mind my own business when I go out alone, and no one hardly notices me. Half the time I go out, I go out with other T-girls or to Trans events, in which case, passing isn't usually possible.

I still firmly believe it mostly about attitude, and looking your best, and not caring about other peoples perceptions of you. If you're having fun and being yourself, who cares what they think anyways.
    Caroline Emily
    Co-Moderator
    SISTERS FAMILY

Gardner Chapter
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sisters_of_gardner/
    Worcester Chapter
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sisters_of_worcester/

Family is the most important thing in the World.

Quote Originally Posted by SweetCaroline View Post
    I still firmly believe it mostly about attitude, and looking your best, and not caring about other peoples perceptions of you. If you're having fun and being yourself, who cares what they think anyways.
    Very well said. If you are happy and accept yourself....what else matters?
    "one day I'll fly away..... leave all this to yesterday"

http://youtu.be/kR7NlgwVHHg

Not Very
    One day your life is going to pass before your eye's, Make sure it is worth watching.

Eddie Izzard said it best "I am an action tranvestite".

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bethanyannstratford/

Just finding my way.... StaceyJane's Avatar
    I just assume that I'm 0% percent passable.
    I'm getting better at not worrying about it though.
    Stacey

I'm not a doctor, I just play one on TV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wob7zmvVTb8

Not anymore. In my early 20's, somewhat.

Carbon-based Member eileendover's Avatar

only in my head

If I take off my glasses and squint a lot, my mirror image looks somewhat feminine. But the camera tells me the truth.

I'm not passible. I do go out in public and it is a toss up now whether I am sir or maamed. I guess what I have come to expect is that whatever I am called I'm treated with respect. I have been told by some individuals I know that I am pretty passible- not sure what that means. What I am working on is not letting others opinions influence me in enjoying myself or of how I think of myself. I firmly believe very very very very very few CD's are passible. I believe more delude themselves into believing it. Not necessarily a bad thing unless it comes back to bite ya, or ruins your day when someone calls you sir or looks at you funny or even worse. Once you can work at getting past "passible" it opens up more doors for you. And if most people waited to go out to be passible it wouldnt happen. Well off my soap box.

"Am I passable?" if people walk past you, then yes.
    The key to never getting read relies on three things: distance ( being seen from afar ), drinks ( other people being drunk ), and darkness.

Look your best, then get out & forget about what someone MAY be thinking ( you may be dead wrong, many people are wrapped up in their own heads ) and don't think about what you're wearing, you're just YOU. Focus on what you're doing- shopping, getting coffee, etc.
    Last edited by Fab Karen; 03-24-2010 at 05:14 PM.
    [SIZE="3"]Gender is a state of mind[/SIZE]
    LGBTQ PRIDE
    As of Oct. 5th, go here to see my pics:http://www.flickr.com/people/fab_karen/
    A Yankee Doodle T-Girl
    proud of my President

Is it just me or......... Carroll's Avatar
    I say that I may pass, however I am reminded by people that I work with that I definitely pass. For one, I know I don't normally walk like a guy. It's just in my nature I guess. I am also short for a male at 5'4". My voice is not really deep like most males and I am often called ma'am when people call my house.
    Drumming, My other hobby

Dancing in the moonlight Midnight Skye's Avatar
    I'm accepted all the time I often get some strange reactions due to the way I dress... being that I love flashy high heels, black tights, and skirts. Many of the places I go woman just don't dress that way and I get immediate attention for it. My assumption is that sometimes leads to the realization that I'm not entirely female. But who cares, I've only been laughed at a few times. No ones pointed or said anything nasty. And honestly... and this is the really strange part of it... even on my worst trips I get more good attention and compliments from people than I do on any day out dressed as a male.

As for who I go out with, I often go out alone or with my wife. And worries... voice, especially when ordering takeout food. I'm ok at a register or chatting... but when I have to raise my voice for ordering takeout food, they often take my voice for a guy. Which then results in lots of giggling at the window since I'm obviously not dressed like a guy. But I can take smiles and giggling. My plight is quite humorous and I'm happy to giggle along with others
    Have fun and enjoy life.
    Skye

Wink

i used to pass quite well.i can have a very feminine face with makeup on,but since my boy side started body building about a year and a half ago im not very convincing unless i would be playing super girl hee hee.i am going to miss being out shopping during the day time and getting by with it.
    just a florida girly girl...................................what in the world can make this brown eyed girl turn blue(roxette)

Out of all the crossdressers I have seen I can only think of couple that
    pass 100% having said that I believe that if we look the part and do not
    attract attention to ourselves by flashy clothes wig and lots of make up
    A lot of us can fly under the radar of most people , thats my goal and
    most of the time it seems to work

I pass to about 50% of the people until I speak then it's 0%. I am old enough that I just don't care what others think
    Put a little lipstick on you'll feel better

Not very

Passing

If everyone was blind, then I maybe I would pass.

Jeannie

My 2 scents

For me its not about that. I still want to look nice however its about being true to myself and in turn just feeling good about myself. When I started really dressing I would wonder the same thing but, it really doesn't matter as long as your happy. I know that there are girls that look better then me but, the same is true with GG's some look better then others and that doesn't keep the others from being who they are so thats to bad if I am not "Passing". I am still going to be myself.

I don't care about nor do I subject myself to the acceptability standards, "passability" criteria, notions, bias or judgments of OTHERS. I am what I am, look as I look and do what I do to please MYSELF, not anyone else.

A California Girl Rachel Morley's Avatar
    how passable are you when CDed ?
    I have no idea ... it's not for me to say is it? The only thing I can say is that I have been told by a couple of GGs who are not in our community but know about our support group because they work in the hotel that we hold them at, that they say I look like a "regular woman" ... whatever that means.

I am lucky in that when I'm out in public, people seem to treat me the same as GGs, Most of them don't let me know that they know ... but that doesn't mean I passed. It just means they're being polite or they think I'm "close enough" that they are comfortable "playing along"
    The River City Gems - Northern California's largest and most active crossdressing & transgender support group!