Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: HRT and Your Little Friend

Dancing in the moonlight Midnight Skye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ReineD View Post
    This is what HRT does according to the LGBT group at Ohio University:

1) Yes to breast growth, but according to members here, how much growth is a crap shoot.
    2) No to softer facial features or any other skeletal attribute such as height, size of hands & feet, although the skin will soften.
    3) Yes to lessening of body hair (but not facial hair .. you will need facial laser hair removal).
    4) Yes to redistribution of fat, but according to members here, only if you have fat to distribute.
    5) No to removal of adam's apple.

In addition to the above:

6) No change in voice.
    7) Loss of strength.
    8) Increased emotional sensitivity, depression not uncommon.
    9) Diminished ability to achieve erections and to ejaculate.
    10) Sterelity
    11) Possible long-term health risks such as thromboembolic disease (blood clotting), and benign pituitary tumors, gallbladder disease, and hypertension..
    Thanks Riene. Though there is one more I'm surprised wasn't on there. Slow/stop of male pattern hair loss. This is the biggest one for me. I find it impossible to face growing older and knowing my hair will progressively get thinner and fall out. I can't see not taking hormones as I move to full time.
    Have fun and enjoy life.
    Skye

Quote Originally Posted by Joan Merrie View Post
    This thread has been troubling me for some reason.
    1 V. doesn't want to transition to full time.
    To me full time is 24/7 365. not back and forth.
    2 She wants the effects of hrt, but keep function.
    It's possible, but no one knows how your body will react.
    1) doesn't bother me so much. I think there is some legitimacy in all forms of gender expression. At the same time I think there would be unexpected costs associated with the constant switching back and forth, like a never-ending transition, where people never learn how to interact with you from day to day; and/or people will have a hard time taking the female presentation seriously and/or the psychological workload of trying to keep up two lives. But maybe that is what the OP wants. Maybe when the time comes the OP will decide the costs are too high and will decide to stick with one presentation. In either case I tend to think it's the OP's right to live in a bizarre manner if she wants to. Thankfully we all have that right.

2) Is the one I find a bit disturbing and indicates that the OP either hasn't done her homework, or is living in fantasy land. I think if she was making an informed decision - aware of the risks, she should be allowed to make it - but... this doesn't sound informed to me.
    "I don't mind living in a man's world, as long as I can be a woman in it." — Marilyn Monroe

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Hope View Post
    1)

2) Is the one I find a bit disturbing and indicates that the OP either hasn't done her homework, or is living in fantasy land. I think if she was making an informed decision - aware of the risks, she should be allowed to make it - but... this doesn't sound informed to me.

SHE HAS A DOCTOR!

Sorry for shouting but she said she was going to F'n therapy already. What do you people want?

You ladies remind me of those old biddies that give me dirty looks in the cosmetics aisle at Target.

Let Veronica and her doctor work this out.

Disturbing indeed.

-Misty

Quote Originally Posted by Misty is Kindafem View Post

What I'm about to say is gonna tick off nearly every TS girl on the board, maybe even some girls I adore;
    Misty
    [SIZE=2]Naw..[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Not in a million years...so no worries Misty[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Life is way too short to sweat the small stuff..[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]In the end, no matter what I or others say, many do what they want anyways, regardless of the warnings coming from years of experience..[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]As far as Veronica goes, it doesn't matter to me either way of what she wants...but I'll wish her the best & hope she can find whatever shes looking for...[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Me ka `oia`i`o, [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][/SIZE][SIZE=2][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Aloha ahiahi......[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Karen[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]I really do have the...Right To Be Wrong.. [/SIZE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkSTG...eature=channel [SIZE=2]and my mistakes will make me strong![/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Just call out my name...and I'll come running...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SxTo...eature=related just lovin classic JT again...[/SIZE]

Let's do our best to keep the level of antagonism towards one another down a bit..., k?
    “I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.”
    Marilyn Monroe

Quote Originally Posted by Misty is Kindafem View Post
    SHE HAS A DOCTOR!
    True, that. She has a doctor, and a therapist. So why'd she ask around here? Was she looking for opinions or affirmation? Her first response to a few posts tells me it was the latter, and I haven't got a problem with that, or with whatever anyone does with their own body. But ask a question, and yer gonna get folk's opinions. And since the title of this forum starts with the word transsexual, whattya think the prevailing opinion will be? Actually, Veronica recieved a pretty well varied spectrum of responses. I don't know how ya get "snotty" out of the ones cautioning her about HRT, which, even with a doctor's and therapist's help, is still a pretty serious undertaking. She seemed to be asking about the consequences concerning her penis. She asked for opinions. She got'em. You and her are taking a path that is a bit different than most here. You may be aware of alternatives some of us aren't aware of, or frankly, probably haven't even bothered to check into. That's fine. I truly wish ya the best. But I've known many of the people here for a while and I know how gracious and willing to give they can be, and I don't know why the instances of name-calling, accusations, sarcasm, or the seemingly bending over backwards to be contrarian were necessary.

Hugs,

Melissa
    Last edited by Melissa A.; 05-04-2010 at 08:31 AM. Reason: grammer an' stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica Nowakowski View Post
    I know I have seen posts on this before, but I'd like to hear something new on it nonetheless. How has HRT affected your genitals (pre-op)? Are you able to get erections? If so, how much effort is needed and how stable is it? Do you know any reason that would affect your ability to have children?
    I see you are asking people for there opinion on how they have been affected, and not for medical advice. you seem to have this already, and roused some feelings i see.

Well, I have not had kids, want them, primarily attracted to women so the pieces fitting would be great. I just want the softer features and real breasts beyond the A cups I have naturally. Is there a way to get HRT without anti-androgens?

EDIT: Looking a bit at it, it appears that that part of it is reversable though the breast growth is not. Perhaps I'd just have to be non-working for a period of time?
    If you take HRT some or the symptoms are reversible, but it is not guaranteed which ones, i have read that you sperm count can come back, but it might not.

I'd really, really prefer the natural breasts. I don't want the hard, fake ones. i do want the redistribution of fat without 50 scars all over my body and thousands of dollars.

I want all my options open. Why should HRT be off limits to me because I'm not interested in the legal sex change surgery? The more I know, the more informed of a decision I can make.
    May i ask do you have a partner now, because if you have hrt and change to look more like a woman it may affect your chances in the future to get a partner, just a thought to throw in there.

Well, I appreciate your concern. There is an overwhelming opinion that there is no saving the sterility. I looked into implants and the safe, saline ones are hard and will make wrinkling of the breasts when I add that much with so little breast mass, and silicone are still dangerous, despite feeling more like breast tissue. I don't know if there are different kinds than that.
    I'm not sure that implants would be enough for you, as without any breast fat they will in my none professional opinion look real, also you would still have male nipples..

Thank you Linda, that is much more of the attitude I was hoping to see. If you have any suggestions for what to look at, I'd be all ears.
    I can totally understand were your coming from, the desire to look like and be like a woman is strong, but there is also another strong feeling and that is that you want to have children in the future.

There is no right and wrong way to go about things, they just all have different consequence's, people may have opinions and some will be stronger than others, and be expressed differently, and i feel no one on this forum has a right to judge others, as we are all outside what society in genera,l would class as normal, and the whole idea of having this forum is for mutual support and advice, Veronica, my advice to you is to read all the responses, talk to your doctor and make a decision that suites you, and what you think you want for the future, because what you want in the future may change one way or another.

Lots of love Elizabeth XXX

You will often find me sleeping in

[SIZE="3"]The Ark Angel Inn[/SIZE] (traditional british pub)

Rainbow

So many responses seem dead set on that if your goal is not surgery then you are not serious. If gender has no relationship to genitalia then what is under your skirt is irrelevant, except to the person wearing the skirt and their partner. In regards to wanting a functioning penis and breasts why does that preclude her wanting to be a woman? Once again, gender identity is not genitilia.

With the attitude that it is all or nothing and that if you are not in the all category than where does that leave the women who cannot have surgery for medical reasons? Are they not real in the opinion of those in this forum? And what message are we giving them by taking that position?

There is also the reality of life. I recognize that my spouse has had to give up a lot of things because of the gender issue. But to become a woman does that mean she has to throw away her brain? Reality is she has a family to support and she is in a male job. In the future maybe she will be able to find something comparable, but to leave her family in the street is not a loving, compassionate, intelligent decision and I respect her more for the fact that she recognizes that she has to balance her needs against the families' needs, which is a very female thing to do in my book.

My spouse is on hormones. I have no problem with her wearing whatever she wants to at the pool. If that means shorts and a bikini top, so be it. If that means going topless, I envy her getting away with it.

My two cents

If you want hormones make sure to follow the standards of care. Get a therapist and talk with a doctor. If they feel it is safe and that you have gender disphoria then you may get hormones.

Only once I realized what hormones trully mean and would do did my therapist agree to give me my letter. Originally I wanted hormones to make me a female (easy way out) but now I know I am female (had to work at it and learn what it means to be a female) and I haven't taken hormones yet.

For me being a female is not a fun thing but a this is who I am am and I finally feel normal thing and I am having fun while I do it. It can be hard some times but it is so rewarding.
    "Be excellent to each other" (Wyld Stallyons)

"Marches alone cant bring integration, if human respect is disintegrating" (Barry McGyuire)

Unexpected Woman Empress Lainie's Avatar

Butting into the hen party

[SIZE=4]WOW, this was an exceptional thread, after reading it all the way through. I did everything WRONG. But I have been living and completely accepted as a woman for over 2 nearly 3 years, complete with female ID. I am likely non-op unless I finally get a nice big $1 million from the suit against the city that fired me solely because I said I was trans and was wearing a wig (had worn for 7 years before transition) and a SKIRT (OMG!!!)

I do not even consider myself a trans person any more, just a woman. (Don't bother with the "you are really a man crap")

I would not tell anyone else to follow my path, but if someone does, it is their choice and their risks, and their considered choice just like it was mine.

I see a lot of related actual experiences posted on here which I think was what the OP was asking for anyway.

To go with the flow: I have B breasts. I have very low sex drive, erections only a memory, ejaculations down to about 25% of what pre transition on a yearly basis was. Quantity
    is less than formerly, but even in me I think quantity is dependent on interval between ejaculations. Notable shrinkage of the thing, maybe of those damned berries I would like to discard. They make my panties not fit so well.

Result of 20yrs saw palmetto, nearly 3 years of fenugreek, and six months of estrace vaginal cream, and one month of progesterone cream and estrogen cream. Cream used daily, and applied to my breasts. Saw 1/2 inch over bust measurement increase over the last 2 months.

I was attacked for mentioning the above regimen before by those of the medical religious fanatic persuasion claiming it can't work (must be because only FDA approved regimes with prescription medicine are the only things that can possibly work. At least that is the party line!)

Personally I agree with the probable majority ----- Do NOT go near any HRT hormones unless you are completely serious about transitioning and living as a female. I would rather die than live one day as a (pretend) man.

One thing in my favor - I don't have a spouse, but I have a gg gf that will marry me today just as I am. She also knew me for 16 yrs before transition.
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Ascended Ancient[/SIZE]

TX & MN
    Quote Originally Posted by Empress Lainie View Post
    [SIZE=4]
    Personally I agree with the probable majority ----- Do NOT go near any HRT hormones unless you are completely serious about transitioning and living as a female. I would rather die than live one day as a (pretend) man.

[/SIZE]
    I'll add my two cents.

I agree with Misty. Like her, I have avoided discussing hormones on this site due to the sanctimonius knee-jerk reactions which always result. I probably will never transition fully. I probably will never live 100% full time as a female..., nor as a male. But hey, it's my body and my life, so get over it!

Hormones are not all or nothing. A small dose might not affect one's ability to orgasm. It hasn't mine, even after three or four years now. So what has E done for me? It gave me a body I'm happy with, with fat in the right places, small breasts, softer face. But more than that (much more!), it's been like a fountain of youth. I feel young again, more alive, and much more happy than I was before taking E. I'm content, at peace with myself and the world, and a lot of this I attribute to estrogen.

I'd love to be a young, pretty girl. God, yes! I've always felt that i should have been born a girl. But it's not going to happen; even if I transition, I'll be an older woman, good looking at best, but too old to be pretty. Plus, I've got certain family responsibilities. So maybe I'll continue on as I have over the past few years: sometimes I appear as a female, and sometimes I appear as a guy, albeit a feminine guy. Maybe this bothers people, but it is who and what i am.

Cindi Johnson

I'm not going to point fingers, but it seems like some who have posted in this thread need to go back to their therapists for more help.

Just because you know everything to know about YOUR situation, doesn't mean you know jack about someone elses. Everyone is different and drugs react differently to everyone.

For instance, most everyone I know that has to take percocets for pain, it numbs them and some even go completely limp (whole body). Me, I can chew them up, swallow them, snort them (never done that), what ever, and they have no effect on me. Most drugs don't. But estrogen does.

So....

Unless you have indelible proof whether something will happen or won't happen 100% of the time, don't speak about it like it's certain.

This thread reminds me of a saying I've heard many times that has worked very well for the most part for me.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a (Fill in the blank) than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt

if you don't want peoples opinions why post at all and why read other posts?

its just information...saying you chew percocets and they don't bother you makes you no more or less credible than anyone else..it has nothing whatsoever to do with HRT.

if i can't share my own personal experience then what should i share?

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitlyn Michele View Post

....if i can't share my own personal experience then what should i share?
    Good question....
    “I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.”
    Marilyn Monroe

IME, many times questions like this are asked, not for answers, but to find validation that what they think or want to do is okay.
    "Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self." - Wizard's Tenth Rule:
    "Life is the future, not the past." - Wizard's Seventh Rule
    "Deserve victory." - Wizard's Eighth Rule
    "Be justified in your convictions. Be completely committed. Earn what you want and need rather than waiting for others to give you what you desire."

There is just one life for each of us: our own - Words from a fortune cookie

Do or Do Not. There is no try - Yoda

its just information...

Quote Originally Posted by pamela_a View Post
    IME, many times questions like this are asked, not for answers, but to find validation that what they think or want to do is okay.
    [SIZE=2]EXACTLY..!!!![/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Maybe we should all just say F*** it, and let them find out the hard way..[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]After all, what do we know....[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Karen[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]I really do have the...Right To Be Wrong.. [/SIZE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkSTG...eature=channel [SIZE=2]and my mistakes will make me strong![/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Just call out my name...and I'll come running...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SxTo...eature=related just lovin classic JT again...[/SIZE]

I've been reading and keeping up with this thread and really appreciate all of the discussion and even though I've read a lot about HRT I was surprised at the variation in experiences. I'm not on HRT and not sure that I will go there. I've got a lot of professional counseling and issues to resolve before I do, if I ever do, but I know that if I do decide to start HRT that it's going to be a permanent part of me with permanent effects.

So please keep sharing your own experiences as I'm sure that there are others out there that are reading for their own education.

Hugs,
    Helen
    If I had any idea that therapy, hair removal, hair transplants, doctors and medications were so expensive I would have planned to be rich first.

GypsyKaren
    All we can do is give answers that are based on years of research and personal experience, but like Karen said, what do we know?

GK

Tammy's Transsexual girl. Joan Merrie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Karen564 View Post
    [SIZE=2]EXACTLY..!!!![/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Maybe we should all just say F*** it, and let them find out the hard way..[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]After all, what do we know....[/SIZE]
    That's my point. But we are all stupid and don't know 'nutin.
    After all what do I know, I'm just a trans:JoanMerrie:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tammy and me, not your usual couple
    :JoanMerrie:Yes I admit it I'm a trans rabbit.
    Simply me.

Quote Originally Posted by GypsyKaren View Post
    All we can do is give answers that are based on years of research and personal experience, but like Karen said, what do we know?

GK
    Actually several decades for some of us. Then again personal experience and knowledge has not been valued for decades either.

What a shame that many of these "knowledgeable professionals" were taught what they know by those that had real world experience since what was in the books was wrong.

BTW nice thread hijacking Misty.
    Veronica

No little friend to me

My little appendage is no friend to me - and the sooner it's gone, the better. I have always considered the "little friend" to be nothing more than a bothersome urine delivery device.

JoAnne Wheeler
    "I'm an all American Bluegrass Girl and Proud As I Can Be"

Banned Read only
    Let me clear up a few things here (I really wish I wasn't absent from the site while this thread flared up). My intention here was to be a *******, not someone who goes back and forth from male to female - that's what I do now. My concern is 1) having kids and 2) I don't know what my eventual mate is going to want :/ I have since realized that artificial insemination through injecting my frozen sperm into my wife isn't going to cost tens of thousands of dollars like it costs with a surrogate mother. I posted this because I wanted to try to figure out what I wanted to tell my gender therapist about my goals. I'm still not sure what I want to do here.

I have certainly been told puritanical falsehoods (like how I was told in elementary that alcohol's called a downer because it makes you depressed). I found out from a trans support group that if you start getting issues with erections, it can be reversed, but the sterility remains. It's dangerous when you tell lies like that, because it can add to people ignoring all the good advice.

I also don't believe in thread hijacking (in the way atheists don't believe in God). This thread was my vehicle to asking the questions I needed to ask, but I think it silly to suggest that only I can have my questions answered in it. I do not own this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Joan Merrie
    This is just my opinion. What if you do get your much wanted breasts. You go to the beach or where ever, in male mode, are you going to keep your shirt on? how will you explain you boobs, Gynecomast? well those Male breasts look a whole lot different than female breasts.
    I don't plan on going to the beach in male mode if I were to transition. I have gynecomastia anyways, so I keep my shirt on just the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Hope
    Is the one I find a bit disturbing and indicates that the OP either hasn't done her homework, or is living in fantasy land. I think if she was making an informed decision - aware of the risks, she should be allowed to make it - but... this doesn't sound informed to me.
    I was doing my homework by asking. The thread wasn't any final decision that I was going to take this action or that action. You have to find out what's going on first.

Quote Originally Posted by Joan Merrie
    True, that. She has a doctor, and a therapist. So why'd she ask around here? Was she looking for opinions or affirmation? Her first response to a few posts tells me it was the latter, and I haven't got a problem with that, or with whatever anyone does with their own body. But ask a question, and yer gonna get folk's opinions. And since the title of this forum starts with the word transsexual, whattya think the prevailing opinion will be? Actually, Veronica recieved a pretty well varied spectrum of responses. I don't know how ya get "snotty" out of the ones cautioning her about HRT, which, even with a doctor's and therapist's help, is still a pretty serious undertaking. She seemed to be asking about the consequences concerning her penis. She asked for opinions. She got'em. You and her are taking a path that is a bit different than most here.
    Have you read my posts? I was disappointed to find out what I did, but then I started discussing alternatives. Does that suggest that I was just looking for affirmations? I see I've been painted quite poorly in my absence.

Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth 66
    May i ask do you have a partner now, because if you have hrt and change to look more like a woman it may affect your chances in the future to get a partner, just a thought to throw in there.
    I do not, I haven't in ages. I know what problems that may cause, which is the primary issue I'm having in figuring out what I want to do. However, the person I am meant to be with may be a confirmed lesbian at this point in time as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth 66
    I'm not sure that implants would be enough for you, as without any breast fat they will in my none professional opinion look real, also you would still have male nipples..
    I don't know either, though I do have pretty much A cups from my gynecomastia.. not sure if that will be enough or not for the D's that would be proportional :/

Quote Originally Posted by lizlizzie
    With the attitude that it is all or nothing and that if you are not in the all category than where does that leave the women who cannot have surgery for medical reasons? Are they not real in the opinion of those in this forum? And what message are we giving them by taking that position?
    Yeah, that's kinda how some of the posts were making me feel, in particular the one which set me off, and which was deleted. And no it's not the information, it's the judgmental attitude that some posters have had.

Quote Originally Posted by Empress Lainie
    I never said I didn't want to live as a woman, I said I wasn't sure about losing my penis.

In finale, I may decide to make the full transition..... I can certainly go ******* in between. I'm a bit irritated when some people decided that I am not woman enough to be discussing this, presuming that my hesitation had to do with me not really wanting to be a woman rather than perhaps having other demons to deal with. Others, who had the same opinion of those people, but who haven't been judgemental are quite appreciated by contrast. If I quoted you and responded in rebuttal does not mean you're in the earlier group, but clarification only.
    Last edited by GypsyKaren; 05-14-2010 at 05:03 AM. Reason: contact a staff member about any complaints

Account is closed
    This thread makes me almost feel bad for having breasts without hormones. Then I realize I don't care and skip on my merry way. And no, I can't go out in public shirtless without feeling naked and exposed so there.

And I am going the slow boat route to hrt because I tried it the other way, tried to rush things, did spiro for a month, flipped the f' out, had an anxiety and tear filled breakdown, and purged.

I guess it is what works for you but I have had to come to grips with my own lack of self acceptance before I decided I am ready to be who I am. Now I am at the point where being accepted by others takes a back seat to me being ok with me. Now that I am ok with that, I am ok with being a woman and transitioning.

on a side note... *******?!? really. What is to me like a certain word begging with n and ending with a savage beating in certain neighborhoods.
    [SIZE=2]
    [/SIZE]

I also don't believe in thread hijacking (in the way atheists don't believe in God). This thread was my vehicle to asking the questions I needed to ask, but I think it silly to suggest that only I can have my questions answered in it. I do not own this thread.
    If it were a case of asking additional questions or seeking related information I agree. Lack of response from the original poster can take on many meanings. Glad you decided to follow up.

In finale, I may decide to make the full transition..... I can certainly go ******* in between. I'm a bit irritated when some people decided that I am not woman enough to be discussing this, presuming that my hesitation had to do with me not really wanting to be a woman rather than perhaps having other demons to deal with. Others, who had the same opinion of those people, but who haven't been judgemental are quite appreciated by contrast. If I quoted you and responded in rebuttal does not mean you're in the earlier group, but clarification only.
    I truly believe we are all seeking our own level of comfort. That means that each of us must find what is right for us. There is no such thing as a single standard for everyone.

I have seem some take steps that are dangerous for their health and well being... sometimes ending in death or close to it. It is because of these experiences that I (and possibly others) express caution and most of us are trying to prevent seeing others follow that path.

Good luck with finding yours.

Veronica
    Last edited by Veronica_Jean; 05-14-2010 at 06:32 AM. Reason: repaired quote

thnx for posting....

Quality of life quality of life quality of life
    thats what this is all about

one of the reasons i think some of us can get emotional about this is that we have seen alot of suffering, and much of it has to do with trying to stave off transition or having high hopes dashed ..one of the primary problems being the almost total unpredictability of HRT...and this leads to the default answer of don't do HRT unless you are transitioning...

you are trying to deal with a pretty big issue, and trying to improve your quality of life...its smart to be thinking about risks and rewards...and its smart to get every drop of info that you can get