Thread: I am telling my Therapist this Friday.

I am telling my Therapist this Friday.

I am going to tell her. I began seeing her 8 years ago and have seen her on and off for just about everything in my life including the last year working through the issues with my ex wife. I am fortunate that she is the first therapist I have ever seen and I clicked with her. She is familiar with every part of my life except this so I will be telling basically what I wrote in the post I made about my story yesterday.

Wish me luck!

XO

Soriya

LOL

Good luck! I have yet to visit a therapist at all, but I'm seriously considering it! I hope it goes well!
    removed

Soriya, just be open and honest with her, that's the only way she can help.

You'll be fine
    "Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self." - Wizard's Tenth Rule:
    "Life is the future, not the past." - Wizard's Seventh Rule
    "Deserve victory." - Wizard's Eighth Rule
    "Be justified in your convictions. Be completely committed. Earn what you want and need rather than waiting for others to give you what you desire."

There is just one life for each of us: our own - Words from a fortune cookie

Do or Do Not. There is no try - Yoda

Banned Read only
    8 years, and you haven't told her yet? Better late than never!

Hi Soriya
    Telling your therapist is a big step but I am sure if she has helped you over the years that this will be a positive step towards you feeling good about yourself and who you are.
    Good luck.
    Tomara

Quote Originally Posted by Danielle76 View Post
    8 years, and you haven't told her yet? Better late than never!
    Danielle, it is only with the last week that I have realized how interwoven my dressing is with everything else pertaining to my childhood that i have talked to her about.

I am still amazed that my brain blocked so much of it out. It fascinates me and makes me wonder if our brains do that with certain things to protect ourselves. If I came across this information a few years ago, I think I would have gotten even more lost. E everything happens for a reason and I suppose I was ready to remember.

She may not be surprised. Good luck
    Put a little lipstick on you'll feel better

LOL I was just thinking that Sherri.
    Last edited by Nigella; 03-31-2010 at 03:01 PM. Reason: No need to quote preceeding post

Good luck hun!

Just remember, therapists are trained in dealing with this kind of thing. As others have stated, she might not be surprised so don't feel you will shock her or she will not approve. In fact, it will likely be the opposite and she will be better to support you.

Tell her

So - I was seeing my shrink for 3 years before I told her - It realy helped me that I printed a picture of myself in drag and bought it in with me. It was so helpful to have that visual aid - I realy think it made a huge difference in not only my ability to tell her but in her ability to react. Just a suggestion.

I might also add as an older girl, that you can probably tell your entire trans story in about 5 minutes if you fall into the middle of the spectrun, that is - if you are a crossdresser of one level or another and not a transexual.

Prediction: The therapist crossdresser story ends with the therapist saying -- " Well - I've done all the research and apparently no one knows why this happens - it is relativly common and there is no cure and really very little likelhod that you will ever be able to completely stop - so you must find your own balance - be accpeting of yourself and try to keep that balance diligently so you do not begin to dress compulsively. And - good luck and nice shoes !"

Tell me if my prediction is correct and good luck !!

Thanks Candy. I don't have any pictures yet to show her. Also, I don't plan to discuss my desires to explore this side of me again. I am comfortable now to do that on my own. I will be discussing how it is directly related to my acceptance issues I had fought my whole life, outside of dressing. How dressing started for me is a direct result that sent me down that path of thinking so it will be more about why and how it started. If it expands further and I am comfortable telling her more, I will.

Soriya,
    Good luck. I think this knowledge will help the therapist work with you, and deal with your other related issues.

Candy,
    Too Funny. I have seen a gender therapist a couple times, and basically you had it pegged, that was almost an exact quote of what he said. His response was pretty much, "So, you like to wear womens clothes. Nobody knows why, and there is no "cure". We all have behaviors that provide us with positive experience, as long as it doesn't get in the way of the rest of your life, don't worry about it."

Jaydee

I know !! Thats why this forum is so great. No one but us knows how hard it is for us to "just be self accepting" - that comment, although factually truthful, doesn't help us deal with the fact that we are the constant butt of jokes - that we will be shamed and humiliated if outed and that it may have profound and ireversable changes in our relationships.

Still - despite my love of my "guy self" - I just love to get girley !!