Thread: Be-All or SCC

Be-All or SCC

I would love to go to a CD conference, even though it's unlikely I would be able to get away, permission and money especially.

However, if I did manage to go, which one should I try to go to? Be-All, SCC, Diva Las Vegas? Are there differences in the size, activities and groups of girls that go?
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

Suddenly I See
    what? where am i? i don't recognize this planet...
    Don't forget about fantasia fair in Cape Cod!

Hugs
    Kaylee

Well, SCC is certainly The Biggest! There will probably be close to a Thousand Transgendered People attending. And, It will be a very diverse group. You are fairly close to Atlanta, close enough to drive there in about eight hours, and it would probably be a very good place to start.

But, The other Conferences also have their supporters and advantages. Why not take a look at their Public Websites, take a look at The Various Programs offered, and their itinerary's. Perhaps you will find an exact fit at one of The Other Events.

From down here in Tampa, I know that Nancy and Joann are going to SCC. Who Else? Haven't heard yet. One of these years, I'm going to make it up there, (it's always been a conflict with The Scheduling, it's about eight hours for me too). I keep thinking I'm missing an awful lot of fun.

Peace and Love, Joanie

[SIZE=4]At my advanced age I have been to almost all the conference/conventions that I could find. Many are smaller and have a more intimate feel to them but SCC is the big one. You will meet and see more people than you could ever imagine. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4]My actual turning point was a Tri Ess convention in San Francisco many years ago. It simply pointed out that there were many of us out there and that we shouldn't hide forever. I obviously haven't since!![/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4]Go to any event you can find and you will learn from it. Stay in contact with as many girls as you can, I have visited many across the US, even in drab, what a hoot. Two guys sitting in a coffee shop watching girls to pick up dressing tips....[/SIZE]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I am a licensed Cosmetologist (hair stylist, not cosmonaut), work as a hair and wig stylist, makeup artist and permanent makeup artist, dressed as you see in my avatar and albums.

My web site www.apparentlyfemale.com

I have over 2,500 pictures on my Flicker site located at http://www.flickr.com/photos/9315394@N02/

I'd go to SCC. If money is an issue there are always folks looking for roommates to lower the cost. They also have a limited scholarship program for people really in need.....

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar

I've BEEN to SCC.

Last year. Pretty much like the posts above explained. There was a large number of Cd.com members there. Many more than I could spend time with in the few days we had!

However, I know NOTHING about the OTHER CD/TG events! It would be GREAT to hear from someone who's been there, what THEY r like!?

Quote Originally Posted by Sometimes Steffi View Post
    However, if I did manage to go, which one should I try to go to? Be-All, SCC, Diva Las Vegas? Are there differences in the size, activities and groups of girls that go?
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

I just got finished registering for the SCC in Atlanta in September. This will my first ever convention/seminar/meeting/get-together that I have ever attended.

I am anxious to meet everyone who can go. And since this will be my first, I would love to have the help and/or advice from any of you who have been before.

JoAnne Wheeler
    "I'm an all American Bluegrass Girl and Proud As I Can Be"

I would recommend Lake Erie Gala in Erie, PA held each November the week before Thanks giving week. I ahve been to other gatherings, but Erie Gala is probably the least expensive event there is. It is fun too.

Jodi

I'm registered for the Be-All in Chicago.

Teri

Loves ordinary miracles SuzanneBender's Avatar
    Hmmm let me look in my copy of Fromer's travel guide. Here it is under transgendered conventions. It says SCC is the one to attend!

SCC was my first conference last year and I am hooked. It was a ball and I made friends there that I will likely have for a lifetime. Last year the ladies from this site dined together at lunch and the dinners. I hope we do it again. Don't plan on getting a lot of sleep because the schedule is full of wonderful social activites and seminars.

The other nice thing about SCC is the location. The hotel is very very nice. However, the Fromer's guide says you should bring some addtional makeup lighting because the lighting in the bathrooms is horrible.

If you have never been out and about in public but want to give it a whirl this is the place to do it. There is a wonderful mall right across the road from the hotel and plenty of other things to see and do close by. In addtion, there are plenty of activities that give you the opportunity to get out and about.

I just booked my hotel room and I am registering this weekend. I look forward to meeting as many of my wonderful sisters from this site as I can.
    See yourself as a soul with a body not a body with a soul" Dr. Wayne Dyer

Diva Las Vegas, it's not a convention, it's a vacation...or something like that!!!
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

Quote Originally Posted by SuzanneBender View Post
    Hmmm let me look in my copy of Fromer's travel guide. Here it is under transgendered conventions. It says SCC is the one to attend!

SCC was my first conference last year and I am hooked. It was a ball and I made friends there that I will likely have for a lifetime. Last year the ladies from this site dined together at lunch and the dinners. I hope we do it again. Don't plan on getting a lot of sleep because the schedule is full of wonderful social activites and seminars.

The other nice thing about SCC is the location. The hotel is very very nice. However, the Fromer's guide says you should bring some addtional makeup lighting because the lighting in the bathrooms is horrible.

If you have never been out and about in public but want to give it a whirl this is the place to do it. There is a wonderful mall right across the road from the hotel and plenty of other things to see and do close by. In addtion, there are plenty of activities that give you the opportunity to get out and about.

I just booked my hotel room and I am registering this weekend. I look forward to meeting as many of my wonderful sisters from this site as I can.
    The SCC is the BOMB! Getting pulled over by the police last year on our way to Waffle House was a huge plus :-) I bet i never miss an SCC event in the future!
    "Originally Posted by Anne66"
    It's store policy: whatever you're looking for, that's what they're out of. And the chances of finding it are in inverse proportion to how much you want it.

I've been to Be-All and SCC and SCC is the bigger, attendance wise, of the two. In 2008, when I attended both conferences, Be-All had an attendance of about 450+ while SCC's attendance was about 870+.
    Last year, I didn't get to go to Be-All, but I did return to SCC. Attendance was down to about 650+, but that was still a pretty sizeable number given the current state of the economy.

Be-All and SCC are similar in that they offer various seminars, social events, vendor fairs, and miscellaneous activities, but SCC has a much larger list of seminars and topics to choose from.

Both conferences are a lot of fun because there's so much to do and you get to meet many wonderful people. I always tell people that they have to stay for the whole week so they can maximize the experience, enjoy it, and because it goes by really fast. Once you go the first time, you'll be hooked for life.

The price you pay to attend these conferences are pretty reasonable and they have various package deals that fits anyone's budget.
    Be-All has a standard package that includes everything from the conferences, events, and meals all for $295 which is good until May 10. After that, it goes up to $345.

As for SCC, the earlier you register the cheaper it is. Loyalty discount for the entire conference is $250 (limited to first 50). Then, it goes up to $270 (Early Bird April 1st to June 1st), $295 (Standard June 1st to August 1st), $315 (Last Chance Discount August 1st to August 25th), and finally $335 Onsite.

You can find out more details of each conference and the package options at the following links:

Be-All:

www.be-all.org

SCC

www.sccatl.org

Me, I have tenative plans to return to Be-All. And as for SCC, I am already set to attend for the 4th straight year.

Hugs!
    Last edited by joann07; 04-10-2010 at 08:20 AM.
    JoAnn

I love to see a beautiful woman in a nice dress, but then again, I also want to wear that dress.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar

Ok! That settles it for ME!

With Suzanne, Christi, and Joann going to the SCC, I'm IN!

Now, I'll just have to persuade Sherry to go!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Quote Originally Posted by joann07 View Post
    The price you pay to attend these conferences are pretty reasonable and they have various package deals that fits anyone's budget.
    Be-All has a standard package that includes everything from the conferences, events, and meals all for $295 which is good until May 10. After that, it goes up to $345.

As for SCC, the earlier you register the cheaper it is. Loyalty discount for the entire conference is $250 (limited to first 50). Then, it goes up to $270 (Early Bird April 1st to June 1st), $295 (Standard June 1st to August 1st), $315 (Last Chance Discount August 1st to August 25th), and finally $335 Onsite.
    But at both of these you have to stay in a $100 a night hotel for five or six days. And that is added to the total cost. I figured that with all the assorted expenses, I would spend almost a thousand dollars to go to Southern Comfort, and that is why I've never gone. (I could buy a new desktop and a laptop for that.)

I have never been to a conference even though I live in the Denver area where they hold Colorado Gold Rush each year. I hope to get everything worked out to go to SCC this time.
    Michelle

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly Bill View Post
    But at both of these you have to stay in a $100 a night hotel for five or six days. And that is added to the total cost. I figured that with all the assorted expenses, I would spend almost a thousand dollars to go to Southern Comfort, and that is why I've never gone. (I could buy a new desktop and a laptop for that.)
    No. It is not required that you have to stay at the same hotel where the conference is held nor do you have to attend for the entire week. For those who can afford it, it's great because they're right there in the action, but there are other options to help reduce your expenses.
    You can stay for one day, two days, or however many days you choose. They also have different packages for those which cost less.

If you can find a cheaper rate at another hotel that's close by, go for it. I'm sure that if you search around for nearby hotels, or go to sites such as hotels.com or Priceline, you'll be able find some really great deals.
    I know many girls who went to SCC and got cheaper rates at hotels just minutes away. I'm sure it's the same for Be-All.
    Or, if there's someone looking for a roomie, you can bunk with them and split the costs.

With the money you saved, you can attend the conference and buy a new desktop or laptop while you're there.

Nobody is forcing you to go, but if you have an opportunity to attend at least once, I would do it.

Hugs!
    Last edited by joann07; 04-11-2010 at 03:43 PM.
    JoAnn

I love to see a beautiful woman in a nice dress, but then again, I also want to wear that dress.

Quote Originally Posted by docrobbysherry View Post
    With Suzanne, Christi, and Joann going to the SCC, I'm IN!

Now, I'll just have to persuade Sherry to go!
    How much persuasion does Sherry need? She BETTER be there!
    Countess in exile
    Keep Calm and Dance to Morrissey
    Z and the Universe
    I'm also on Twitter and Facebook

I don't need any seminars and I can't afford SCC. So I will just do the Be All's First Timer's Dinner Thursday. I hope to see people from here there! I was there last year and saw no one from here!

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    I've only been to Diva Las Vegas. There is no central hotel. There are no Experts holding seminars. There are a few vendors, but they hold open houses at their existing shops there in town. There is no registration fee or printed program. There are name tags and commerative pins that are pretty nice. If you attend you are pretty much on your own, unless you need a big sister and they are there to help.

It's run totally by participant/volunteers and it's amazing that it actually works as well as it does. There are a few very safe venues, because most of the activities are held in mainstream public locations with the rest of the residents and visitors to Vegas wandering about. There are shows to go to, dinners to eat, limos to ride in, a golf tournament, art galleries and museums to wander through, stores to shop in, clubs to dance at and bars where you can have a drink, all in the company of from 2 to up to 150 other crossdressers, significant others, transsexuals, admirers and bewilderd others. It's almost too late to register, but if this sounds like something you want to try look forward to announcements for next year.

That being said, any gathering where you can get together with other like-minded, supportive people is going to worth your time. Even getting together with one or two others at lunch en drab is a positive experience. Go to Be All, SCC, Fantasy Faire, Gold Rush, other conventions I've forgotten about, your local support group, a support group in a city you feel comfortable visiting or annual Pride festival and build your community. It looks like that when you are ready to get out with others there are plenty of options.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

Thanks for your advice

Quote Originally Posted by KayleeDahl View Post
    Don't forget about Fantasia Fair in Cape Cod!
    I thought about that. I'm originally from Massachusetts. So, Provincetown is actually my home court so to speak. The first time I went there (in the early 70's) it was a hard drinking Portugese fishing town. I saw it transition to a gay artists town and then to a Lesbian town

Fantasia Fair seems to be more friendly to SOs than the others.

Be-All and SCC are similar in that they offer various seminars, social events, vendor fairs, and miscellaneous activities, but SCC has a much larger list of seminars and topics to choose from.
    Sounds good, but I rarely hear anyone talking about the great seminars. It seems like the seminars are the lubricant to get everyone together, but it is the social aspect that everyone talks about afterward.

I figure it's about $1500. It's not so much the seminar price, but the whole package. 5 nights at the hotel ($600 including tax), airfare ($300), Registration (300), extras (acrylics, makeover) ($100), food, drinks, etc ($100). If I were single, I would already be signed up. But over a thousand is generally considered a "two-signature approval" in my house, never mind the fact that I have to sell this idea so my wife doesn't change the locks while I'm gone.

No. It is not required that have to stay at the same hotel where the conference is held nor do you have to attend for the entire week. For those who can afford it, it's great because they're right there in the action, but there are other options to help reduce your expenses.

You can stay for one day, two days, or however many days you choose. They also have different packages for those which cost less.
    If I'm going to go, I want to make it worthwhile. As they say, it's the event of a lifetime and who knows when I might be able to return.

Quote Originally Posted by Jocee View Post
    I'd go to SCC. If money is an issue there are always folks looking for roommates to lower the cost.
    Any advice on how I can find a compatible and safe roommate?
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.