Thread: women’s mags

women’s mags

I am fortunate in having access to women’s mags. So when I look at them I always flick through the pages looking at the fashions. I find most of them are very unsexy and not very feminine ether. It seems fashions are very different to the “good old days” For me the best times for women’s fashion was the 1950s. Slim waist, Skirt ether flaring out or a lovely pencil skirt. Audrey Hepburn, Sophia Loren, Wow!
    So, what do you think of the look of the girls in the women’s mags today girls?
    Is Suzy just old fashioned?

SUZY

I still continue to fall in love with all the models! And to your point, I have to disagree with you. I read the women's mags at the nail salon and at my daughter's house. Sure, there are some styles that do nothing for me, but the rest I really enjoy looking at and seeing what make them work. In Style is a good one for that and a recent People magazine dedicated to fashion (more money there for them??) had a lot of do's and don'ts and how to put together great outfits expensively and on the cheap. Overall, I like the fashion styles that I see. Remember that some of the more outlandish styles shown in the magazines are hardly ever seen in real life.

[SIZE="4"]Suzy, I'm with you all the way!!! I was watching a movie from 1941 last night and while watching, got to thinking how wonderful the styles & clothes were back then. And the hats...just got to love'em....Women looked sooooo beautiful and the men so handsom wearing suites & ties.....

[/SIZE]
    Last edited by NV Susan; 04-13-2010 at 05:02 PM. Reason: grammar
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Susan V. Adams

I buy a number of fem magazines every month and love getting advice and tips... Did you see in this months Hair magazine that the girl on the cover actually had color on her eyes?? Most of the stars and models have the same earthy tones.. Which drives me crazy!!
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Suzy, you are in love with a time period. There is nothing wrong with that. We have the same attraction for vintage.
    I love the fashion from the 40's myself. You aren't old fashion. You just have a preference.
    Todays fashions are terrific. Bacall,Loren,Taylor are of a time. Keep searching ebay and estate sales you'll get that outfit and live that time period at least for a bit.

Aspiring Member PrettyFlowingGown's Avatar
    i only buy bridal mags for the wedding gowns. rarely i buy a fashion mag, cause its all accesories and make-up tips. the clothes ar'nt nice enough these days as they were a few years ago.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]I love my gorgous flowing evening and ball gowns. I love swishing in them, and feeling how beautiful and shimmering they are. I love to feel like a princess. I love to be elegant, feminine and ladylike.

women’s mags

yes i agree Jenna is ole fashion also

I like them all. The fashions of today leave less to the imagination though
    Put a little lipstick on you'll feel better

While I agree that 50s fashion was very sexy, I have to disagree with you on today's fashion. I think it's very chic and feminine, depending on how you wear things. Of course, to each his/her own.

At target, they've got some retro 50s style women's clothing in stock now. You should check it out if you get the opportunity

Personally, I prefer the 1850's, but to each his/her own. When looking through modern clothes I am often reminded of times when I have said to a girlfriend, "Look at this sweetie, isn't that sexy?" She would respond, "I CAN'T WEAR THAT!" It turns out, there's a lot I can't wear either. (sigh).
    Silk bloomers make me wanna dance.

Women's mags are great and I don't think any one period is necessarily better than another. Styles come and go and seem to return in cycles. Speaking for myself these magazines have been a great way to learn more about how to make me look on the outside the way I feel on the inside. Lots and lots of good advice..

mini kilted chick t-girlxsophie's Avatar
    My wife buys a fair few womens mags,and the fashions in them are always a source of debate between us,there is some nice fashion but some leaves a lot to be desired.I too loved the fashions of the 50s,and the clothes of icons like Doris Day and Audrey Hepburn,a nice pencil skirt and sweater etc,I wear a lot of fashion inspired by that era,but also like to keep up to date with curent trends
    We look to Scotland,for all our Ideas of Civilisation-Voltaire

========================================

A woman who loves to wear beautiful clothes is like a flower.
    A man who loves to emulate these women is a special flower-a rose
    Facebook:Sophie Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by Renelle View Post
    Personally, I prefer the 1850's
    I'm with you, Renelle. I love the 1950's, but they take second place to the 1890's and the 1860's.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

My favorite is Redbook, it has enough fashion and style pages but also delves into the everyday challenges of being a woman which I try to relate to...

Quote Originally Posted by suzy1 View Post
    I am fortunate in having access to women’s mags. So when I look at them I always flick through the pages looking at the fashions. I find most of them are very unsexy and not very feminine ether. It seems fashions are very different to the “good old days” For me the best times for women’s fashion was the 1950s. Slim waist, Skirt ether flaring out or a lovely pencil skirt. Audrey Hepburn, Sophia Loren, Wow!
    So, what do you think of the look of the girls in the women’s mags today girls?
    Is Suzy just old fashioned?

SUZY
    Being completely fair, let me guess: You grew up in the 1950s, right?

People have a tendency to get caught in / locked in the environment they are raised in.

Personally, I don't find anything interesting in that period of time, and find plenty of feminine things in modern fashion. Of course, you can focus on the frumpy or more masculine things from any period. But, trust me, there are plenty of feminine things out today. Just look at the SATC2 commercials, girls! Don't tell me you can't like what they're rocking!

Quote Originally Posted by Renelle View Post
    Personally, I prefer the 1850's,
    [SIZE="4"]Renelle, you are so right on about the 1850's.....I talked in other threads about my saloon girl fantasies.....I wish I owned some 1850's period clothing. I know it's available but I never took the time to pursue it and now times are to tight.
    [/SIZE]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Susan V. Adams