Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Interesting theory, what do you think?

I think there's something in the idea, though it probably doesn't apply to all CDing.
    Myself I feel being dressed as Ruth is in some respects an escape from the pressures of being a man - not necessarily the breadwinner aspect but just the overall expectations that society has for an adult man. Of course this is a subjective rather than an actual burden, but that's how we work.
    [SIZE="2"]Always be true to yourself because the people who matter don’t mind, and the people who mind don’t matter.[/SIZE]

tangent

by pushing a gender division, businesses make more money by selling two versions of things.
    [SIZE="3"]Gender is a state of mind[/SIZE]
    LGBTQ PRIDE
    As of Oct. 5th, go here to see my pics:http://www.flickr.com/people/fab_karen/
    A Yankee Doodle T-Girl
    proud of my President

Question continuum

I think the common thread is that we all want to know why, and we will always follow a post along those lines. My theory is along the lines of Rockerterri's, gender is not as absolute as society defines it. I don't know what it means really but it seems to be a tidy explanation. I've never been relaxed while dressing.
    Shari

Truth, Love, Freedom Angiemead12's Avatar
    I crossdress for fun and for self expression. It started out as a fetish, now its just a lifestyle.

Im not stressed with being the bread winner!

[QUOTE=docrobbysherry;2121062]I've read SO MANY posts here, where folks say dressing "relaxes" them. Which I DON'T GET! I find dressing exciting and stimulating!

I want to dress more when under stress.... no it doesn't relax, it sends me into another world... is this relaxation?

Right now, I am away from home in a hotel - I am dressed completely, make-up, nails, even posted a few dodgy pics,.... and I've been out for a "wander"...

I should be working on a shed load of stuff - I am stressed to hell work-wise... and I am sat here as Kaz thinking... chill... you'll sort it!

Hope this helps.... Me being Kaz tonight is actually going to cause me more stress... but the excitement of being Kaz is so strong... and tomorrow?

I am already working on a strategy that will enable me to wake up as Kaz, pack the car as Kaz, check out as Kaz, and drive back to where I need to be as Kaz... this is really occupying my mind... not teh work I need to deliver tomorrow

So... relaxation or diversion?

Love Kaz xx

Kaz xx

Living Dead Girl Schatten Lupus's Avatar
    To the one who asked, the book was published in 2006. And I wasn't thinking of the time that many do start cross dressing before they make money, so the theory, while the general stress reliefe may hold true for possibly over half it seems, the breadwinner idea, had they asked, probably wouldn't have made it to print. Or it's possible the author really didn't care since it didn't pertain to Frued, Behaviorism, Maslow, Erikson, and so on.

As for crossdressing, it said that cross dressing occurs more frequently in societies where men are the primary income makers.
    My first question would be who is “it” that “said” “that”?
    Is “it” a relative of “they”?
    What “societies” are left but possibly the “gathering” nomads in parts of Africa and the higher mountains of Peru? So, it may be an “opinion” but in that context, it means nothing anyway.
    , "which leaves researches to wonder if men sometimes cross dress to temporarily relieve the stress of being the breadwinner."
    First of all, connecting those two parts of the sentence is what is called a “logical fallacy”. It assumes the first part is related to the second part without any factual evidence proving either part standing alone is factual, and certainly nothing to support a theory that a relationship exists between the two.
    That is about as factual as me saying that the Wonder Bread corporation possibly inserted the words “wonder”, “bread” and “winner” together in a sentence as a subliminal message to get more consumers to buy their bread at the store…lol

It should be noted this is a 101 text book, so the only theories it goes into depth are the core theories, such as Psychoanalogy.
    I have a degree in Psychology and I do not recall ever hearing of any “theory” called “Psychoanalogy.” Actually, I am not sure that it is even a proper word??

A psychoanalyst may take part in psychoanalysis.
    Maybe that is what the textbook meant, “which leaves readers to “wonder” if men writing text books sometimes cross their definitions to temporarily relieve the stress of being the publisher of confusing printed matter.” lol

Anyway…
    It may be natural behavior for a person to experience an increased craving for a “crutch”, or “vehicle” from a personalized list of specific behaviors they prefer to use when “stressed”. This list may contain smoking, using drugs, exercise, naps, turning off phones, meditation etc., and any peculiar behavior on their “list”. If cross-dressing is on an individual’s unique “list”, it “may” be a preferred choice for that person at “some” times.
    Stress increases cravings for a way to lower stress. Even that statement is more opinion than fact.

“… and if anyone feels any stress relief from the social pressures of "being a man?"
    Not in that context, no. Sometimes stress created from some situations I experience “while dressed as a man” may increase my desire to cross-dress.
    But it is not motivated by any social pressure connected to “being a man”. I do not view CD as a vehicle for “stress relief”, nor does it provide any “relief from stress” for me.

nothing disrespectful intended,
    just my thoughts...
    Last edited by eluuzion; 04-21-2010 at 09:26 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I feel as if I have a sense of mental balance when dressed, that I don't have when in drab. So yes it is a stress release - but something I believe I would be doing even if there was no day to day stress. As I have said before Karin is very much a part of who I am, something I would not change even if I could.

A prisoner in a kings disguise - Styx

[SIZE=2]These are just a few of my thoughts on it...some may or not agree, but it doesn't really matter either way..[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]I do believe stress could be a component, But only One part of it....[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Stress will build over time, and is not always instantanious....so just because someone has one stressful day doesn't mean they will go straight for the closet after they get home...for some it takes time over a period of many stressful days..[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]And then another component of it are all the triggers that can set it all off (which are usually visual) once the stress is in place, then Bam, they cant get to their stash fast enough...[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]As far as the bread winner thing, that's just one common example what can cause stress...so I really wouldn't take it that literly....it's a bit more complicated than that...[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]But it's not only adults that have stress, because there are many children that can experience certain levels of stress even at 2 years old...any parents here that lived through their child's terrible 2's before? well, it's not only the parents that are stressed out...[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]But I do believe, that for most here, but not all, it's something their born with biologically that they have no control over that makes them resort to these behavior changes under some sort of mechanism induced by an outside factor.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Reminds me of some basics of human biology & behavior, as in, Humans like to do things that bring them pleasure in one form or another..[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]But either way, when they find something that makes them feel good, no matter what it is, even if it's only for a very short time, they will be bound to do it again & again, because what happened was the brain sent a signal to various glands to release many chemicals & hormones that make you feel good...so this does not necessarily have to be a voluntary response, (if your getting my drift so far) because the body sends signals to the brain & vice versa if it senses the need to relieve the stress the body or brain are under and knows what to do in order to feel better..and it's the way the mind protects itself from harm. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Just like when the body tells you when your severely injured, if it wasn't for those nerves sending signals to the brain, you could unknowing make your injury worse or bleed to death if you felt no pain or if the brain didn't know how to interpret that information as a bad thing, but it does know, and then sends signals back to your various vital body systems as a self defense mechanism, such as constricting arteries, kicking in the immune & glandular systems by releasing fluids, chemicals & blood cells directions to the site of the injury, plus a multitude of many defenses all going on all automaticaly..all while your saying " Oh Sh*T, F***, Help.....lol[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]But little does the body know that CDing could cause it harm by getting beat up by someone that doesn't like the way you dress...but when the human body 1st came to be, they didn't have any clothes to worry about......lol[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Karen[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]I really do have the...Right To Be Wrong.. [/SIZE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkSTG...eature=channel [SIZE=2]and my mistakes will make me strong![/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Just call out my name...and I'll come running...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SxTo...eature=related just lovin classic JT again...[/SIZE]

I think there may be different reasons why we dress the way we do. In my case the earliest I remember around age 5 was wanting to wear girls clothes. I dont imagine I was stressed by being a boy, or a breadwinner, or anything like that. However, I do remember that girls seemed to get more attention and had more fun and maybe I wanted in on that action. It's probably still true.
    Something happens and I'm head over heels.

A psychoanalyst may take part in psychoanalysis.
    Yes, I meant psychoanalysis.

How many started with crossdressing after becoming a breadwinner? Indeed, not a whole lot, so I sincerly doubt the qualifications of these so called "researchers".

As for crossdressing, it said that cross dressing occurs more frequently in societies where men are the primary income makers.
    Eh? In every society men are usually the primary income makers. However in the West with greater gender equality where many women now equal or exceed their partner's income we should be witnessing a decrease in CDing. As far as I can see it is the opposite and there is actually an increase in CDing in the West.

I think since gender is a social construct, the amount of CDing in societies is actually related to how stylized and idealistic femininity is displayed. The more femininity is a marketed product, the more boys will believe that they can consume the product for themselves to obtain the benefits. If one of those benefits is an escape from male burdens and responsibilities then that makes sense as a benefit in later life.

How much CDing goes on in say Eskimo society where men and women are wrapped head to toe in practical clothing? I would be willing to bet that CDing is negligible in these societies. Or how much CDing takes place in Bushmen societies where clothing is minimal? Basically the more practical women lives are, the less they look and behave differently from men, the less CDing will occur.

Complex Lolita...
    Quote Originally Posted by Schatten Lupus
    "which leaves researches to wonder if men sometimes cross dress to temporarily relieve the stress of being the breadwinner." I am just curious as to what people think of the bolded part, and if anyone feels any stress relief from the social pressures of "being a man?"
    [SIZE="2"]Well, I’m not a breadwinner by any stretch of the imagination, so there goes that theory (out the window, I believe). I don’t dress to relieve stress, either, in fact I can’t wear my femme clothes when I’m stressed out or worried about something. I associate crossdressing with mental and physical calm – one leads to the other, and then I put on my “uniform.” One theory I’ve heard (and subscribe to) is that people in the field of technology, i.e. rather intelligent individuals, have more of a tendency to crossdress for some strange reason. I came to the conclusion you have to be smart to be a crossdresser (my theory), but let’s not get into a discussion about what “smart” means to different people. BTW, I’m not in the field of high-tech – I’m a sensualist. Glad to meet you!

I need to tell you that “being a man” is very stressful, so I avoid the problem completely…[/SIZE]

I do think that the text may have ment in industrialized nations, not only because as others pointed out there are very few cultures were men aren't the breadwinners, but all other cultural differences this book mentions are compairing industrialized to non-industrialized nations. Now when I get to take the full class on human sexuality and gender and it's that vague, then I might have to ask the publisher and author what they hell they were thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Schatten Lupus View Post
    As for crossdressing, it said that cross dressing occurs more frequently in societies where men are the primary income makers, "which leaves researches to wonder if men sometimes cross dress to temporarily relieve the stress of being the breadwinner." ... I am just curious as to what people think of the bolded part, and if anyone feels any stress relief from the social pressures of "being a man?"
    First, I have to agree with many of the other people who stated that their crossdressing started much earlier than the age of becoming the "primary income maker"... If the person that wrote the book looked at any of the research that has been done on the age when men start crossdressing, they would have seen how this "theory" does not fit very well with reality. This theory seems to imply that men might start crossdressing because there is too much stress at work...

As far as stress relief of "being a man"... There are many, many different ways of relieving stress. And many of them are a lot less expensive and less time consuming than crossdressing and probably a whole lot more effective...

Robyn