Thread: Chivalry is not dead!

Chivalry is not dead!

Stopped to get some gas while I was out today on my way to do a little shopping and visit a friend. A gentleman stopped, waited and held the door open for me. I think I blushed as I thanked him, felt nice...That really made my day!

As Dave Chappelle said:
    "Chivalry is dead, and women killed it."

Even as a girl I totally agree with that sentiment. But the same could be said of politeness in general and the blame for that can be laid at the feet of both genders.
    [SIZE="1"]Capitalists are no more capable of self-sacrifice than a man is capable of lifting himself up by his own bootstraps. - Lenin[/SIZE]

I'm thrilled when someone calls me Ma'am, so holding the door would be WONDERFUL!

Freddy

I've had the door held for me a few times at the mall. One guy let me go ahead of him on the escalator, or maybe he just wanted to look at my butt...BJ

its great that you can experience that! good for u!

How fun was that, I would say you passed, at least for that gentleman.
    Tina B.

happens more then one would think. The world is getting better and people may be learning to be more respectful to each other again. However when I am out with my wife and some one opens the door for us and says have a good day ladies she gets a little ticked. Especial since it happens when I am not wearing any makeup or female clothes. Guess it is the longer hair and tweezed eyebrows LOL

Felt good huh? I'll bet the feeling hangs around for a few more days at least.

Vieja

Perfectly understandable

Hi Stephanie:

I can understand perfectly. You are a very attractive young lady.

Cindi

Quote Originally Posted by Almalexia View Post
    As Dave Chappelle said:
    "Chivalry is dead, and women killed it."

Even as a girl I totally agree with that sentiment. But the same could be said of politeness in general and the blame for that can be laid at the feet of both genders.
    I agree. I was abused a few times by different women. and both times they glared and said the same thing "i can open a door my self *huff*" Both times the replay was, "suit yourself"
    and had the door pushed closed b4 they got to walk through it.

usualy they just make some smart ass comment then still shuffle through the doorway. must say the funniest was with my mum and i did the same as i all ways do, as i was taught. one girl looked back with a huff and made a comment about me only doing it so i could look at her bum. my mother, who sometimes comes up with a nice bitting comment, couldnt help herself, and said "if it was ONE nice bum in a pair of shorts i wouldnt blame him, but you have more ass's than the house of commons" go mum

On the side of women i have all so seen, on more occasions that i would like to, seen guys push past women to get in/through first. the worst of teh worst here, where i am are the koreans and chineese who just barge in and couldnt care less. and thats a pain when trying to get out of a lift. again just stand back and let those trying to get out get out, if your in the lift i allways put my hand out to make sure the door dont close then let the women leave first even if they are comming from the rear. its just common curtesy and manners..
    sorry for the rant

Smile Feels Great

[SIZE="3"]I love it when that happens.

Gennee
    [/SIZE]

I'm getting better with age. I may have started late, but better late than never!

"Don't let anyone define who you are".

good for you and kudos for the man
    Put a little lipstick on you'll feel better

Quote Originally Posted by Gerrijerry View Post
    happens more then one would think. The world is getting better and people may be learning to be more respectful to each other again. However when I am out with my wife and some one opens the door for us and says have a good day ladies she gets a little ticked. Especial since it happens when I am not wearing any makeup or female clothes. Guess it is the longer hair and tweezed eyebrows LOL
    Wow! I thought I was all alone in having that sort of thing happen routinely! Maybe we'll have to form a club -- perhaps a small club -- but we'll have chapters on both coasts!
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

Aspiring Member
    >"one girl looked back with a huff and made a comment about me only doing it so i could look at her bum. my mother, who sometimes comes up with a nice bitting comment, couldnt help herself, and said "if it was ONE nice bum in a pair of shorts i wouldnt blame him, but you have more ass's than the house of commons" go mum "<
    you could have told her it also to see what kind of perfume she had too!
    but all you ..... ooh better not

I love being treated like a lady too. But going by my experience with being in a relationship with a TG, we tend to share that role since we have developed a more 'equal opportunity' relationship.

To Catriona, I don't understand women who are rude when presented with chivalry, although I do recall this mindset during the 70's 2nd wave feminism. But now that 3rd wave feminism is well ensconced in our society, I'm guessing that most women would appreciate having the door opened for them? I know that I feel very grateful when this happens.
    Reine

Chivalry never died

I always make an effort of holding the door open and letting them through first. Male or female.

That goes for when driving as well. If someone wants to pull out, I'll let them. Encourage them even.

I'm of course hoping one day that one of these recipients of goodwill is ridiculously rich and decides to award me graciously

How interesting: people where I live are pretty polite when it comes to opening doors, but very rude about giving up their bus seats. I wonder why? Countless times I have watched old ladies, children, and women carrying babies not be able to get a seat on the bus. If none of the "gentlemen" offer their seats, I will. Sometimes I seem to be able to set a good example or at least embarrass others into doing the right thing.

Yes, this is really me! shayleetv's Avatar
    In a bedroom community outside Salt Lake City, Utah.
    A niece of mine married a young man who told this story of opening the door for a well dressed 30-40 aged woman. She said to him, "I hope your not opening that door for me because I'm a woman." He said, "No, I opened the door because I'm a gentleman." Feminist have tried to kill manners in men but for the most part they didn't succeed. Since I only dress in the closet and never had the pleasure of having a door opened for me as a woman, I was flattered when a girl in her twenties held the door open for me when I went to my eye Dr. the other day, and me in old drab. Manners abound for older folks like me(soon to be encroaching on 70, a year away).As we went through the atrium I reciprocated by holding the next door for her. What a delightful smile we both must have had.
    Last edited by shayleetv; 04-26-2010 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Spelling
    "If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your troubles, you wouldn't sit for a month."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt

Chivalry is not dead!

yes it does make us feel nice wen that happends,