Thread: Autogynophelia

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Autogynophelia

I face the wrath for bringing up a potentially controversial subject but I want to see what other girls out there are feeling about this term.

I had the opportunity to learn about it from a gender counselor in NYC and she prefaced it with the controversial nature within the TG community about it. I am new to the forum here but thought I would just see what other girls thought of the subject.

The post that sparked this thread was about whether or not girls would want to be be female if they could. Some answers in there brought my mind back to the term.

Thanks!

We have discussed a bit about this in the private GM section (get your 10 posts to join) and also touched on it in the loved ones section on this thread:

http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...d.php?t=116295
    Joni

"Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free" Bob Dylan

I think that I would have liked to be born female BUT I guess that I might have been a lesbian. I would not have an operation to change to be a female now.

wish i knew what it was.
    just a florida girly girl...................................what in the world can make this brown eyed girl turn blue(roxette)

Quote Originally Posted by jenifer m. View Post
    wish i knew what it was.

Me too, what does Autogynophelia mean?

Lots of love Elizabeth XXX

You will often find me sleeping in

[SIZE="3"]The Ark Angel Inn[/SIZE] (traditional british pub)

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah1966 View Post
    Me too, what does Autogynophelia mean?
    Essentially it means being attracted to or aroused by the image or thought of yourself as a woman.
    -------------------------------------------------
    ~Riley
    Check out my trans themed standup on YouTube!

My Tumblr Blog

Talk about a waste of time and money... Who really cares "Why". After all... If anyone knew would if change a thing in your life? Going forward? No. You would still do what your driven to do and nothing will change that. Personally I'm not wasting my presious time figuring out why.. I have way to many other things to do... Too many pretty things to buy... So much more makeup to try on! Before I retire or expire! Which ever comes first! Lol.
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Karren Hutton View Post
    Talk about a waste of time and money... Who really cares "Why". After all... If anyone knew would if change a thing in your life? Going forward? No. You would still do what your driven to do and nothing will change that. Personally I'm not wasting my presious time figuring out why.. I have way to many other things to do... Too many pretty things to buy... So much more makeup to try on! Before I retire or expire! Which ever comes first! Lol.
    My initial response was that is probably fit me. Then I read this post and realized the most important issue of another label. What does it change in your life? Is there some kind of treatment which would cure you? NO! Your stuck with it, so I vote to just go forward with my life and not worry about it.
    Michelle

maybe 40 yrs ago or even 30yrs ago but I would have to say not now. Make me younger, I'll start over.
    Put a little lipstick on you'll feel better

Quote Originally Posted by Karren Hutton View Post

As usual, I am SO with Karen on this one . . .

The question isn't 'why' so much as 'what is' and 'what isn't'. I do know that it is helpful for the GGs, and perhaps even some of the TGs, to gain a better understanding of it all.
    Reine

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AlainaSC View Post
    The post that sparked this thread was about whether or not girls would want to be be female if they could. Some answers in there brought my mind back to the term.
    I took part in that thread and I desire with every fibre of my being to become physically female. However, there is nothing even remotely sexual in my desire.

I am not homosexual as a GM, and there is nothing paraphilic about my need to transition, so it would seem that I do not fit this definition.

Does that mean that no transgender person is autogynephilic? Of course not! Neither does the Blanchard study prove that every transgender person is autogynephilic.

I tend to agree with those who have stated that the distaste for this term comes from the unscientific way that some people have jumped from the behaviour of a small sample to the conclusion that this is the only possible reason for someone to transition.
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity

Autogynephilia, is the correct spelling and refers to the love of oneself as a woman. I have no problem with the idea, in fact I love it.

I think that is what we are all searching for to some extent.
    Susan
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[SIZE="3"]If you love freedom set it free. If it comes back, its yours, if not, its 1936 Stalinist Russia! - The Daily Show[/SIZE]

I think the term is oversimplified, and not clearly defined. To me the definition implies "I dress up like a woman, I get turned on by the female version of myself". That may apply to some (even myself during my much younger years), but I think for many of us, it's simply the fantasy of becoming a woman. Sometimes it's not even about "being a woman", but the transformation of man2woman.

Fictionmania is probably the 2nd (only to this site) most popular TG-related website, and because of that I believe there are many of us out there. The reason why it has so much hatred is because of the research done by a quack scientist, saying that some transition for fetish reasons, which is absurd. Anything in life can get a bad rap if there's enough negativity attached to it.

Autogynephilia

Does this definition apply to me? Is it BS. I have read about others who believe it's BS. I do get excited when I dress or become en femme. It seems that I would be autoG. Does the excitement from dressing stem from a desire to be a woman. Is it because I feel I am a woman, that the excitement is just because I feel that’s the way I should feel sexually (as a woman) ? Did I even make any sense right there? Basically is there more to it than just the excitement?

I think it would be easier for me to be AutoG, but I also feel more than that. I do get the excitement, but I also feel more comfortable as a woman.

Thanks for listening!

Autogynephilia is, for the most part, a label created by psychologists who want to police who's a 'real' transsexual and who isn't ... and who define 'realness' at least partly by "I think they'd be hot when they're finally finished with surgery, and they would only sleep with men after."

I wish I were kidding. But if you read the specs, and the other work of the people who created the category, it's pretty clear they think anyone who'd be a lesbian after transition isn't a 'real' transsexual, because 'real' transsexuals are just confused gay men who hate their gayness enough that they have to change themselves to stop being gay (!!!!). I really, really wish I were kidding on that one.

Of course, I could just be bitter because these same people think I don't exist -- only people assigned as male at birth can be 'true' transsexuals in their light, because they think (a) it's a sexual fetish and (b) people assigned female at birth can't have fetishes .... needless to say, I think both those premises are batshit crazy, but, well. I know a lot of ciswomen with fetishes, for one thing!

IMHO, 'autogynephilia' isn't a useful psychological term, it's just perjorative language. The only way a sane, genderpositive psychologist would ever apply it (and I know, because I asked mine) is if someone (a) is really, really turned on by the act of crossdressing itself -- like, instant wood, plus near-inability to function sexually when not dressed -- AND (b) this tendency was negatively affecting their life in general to the point that they want to get treatment for it.

Without both those criteria, even sexual reaction to CDing isn't autogynephilia, according to my psych, and is in fact no-treatment-necessary, because it's not a disorder ... it might be a CDing urge, it might be genderqueerness or somewhere on the trans spectrum, but just getting hot from dressing isn't an actual mental disorder.
    Elliott from Chicago
    Full-time papa to Beka (2.17.09). Part-time returning college student.
    Future college math/science teacher, after a total career reboot. Happily married to a cisman. Trying to socially transition pre-everything.

Platinum Member
    I'd agree - the label shouldn't define you. Its just another arbitrary classification, created in an effort to codify one aspect of TG behaviors.

labels cause me grief

I agree with the two comments offered in response. Labels cause me nothing but grief. The mainstream community including the psychologists and psychiatrists really have no detailled understanding of gender-bending and cross-dressing. They want to be able to slot everyone.
    My desire to desire in women's clothing is not sexual, at least not on a level that I'm conscious of. I dress because I feel complete in women's clothing even without the make-up and the wig. I feel at peace in a manner that I never felt in suits, jeans, or shorts. Label that....

In the closet - for now. Shadeauxmarie's Avatar
    Labels are commonly used to compare others. Usually to say, "I'm better than they are because I'm not a xxxxx."
    May you live long and prosper.
    Infinite diversity in infinite combinations.
    "Smiling makes my face ache." F. N. Furter

Hey this sounds like me.

Should I get a T shirt made?

If we don't use this term surely people will only come up with another? Labels don't define attitudes. That idea went out of fashion with Orwell.

Look at the term queer. It was once used pretty much exclusively as a term of abuse. It was reclaimed as attitudes changed.

I'm not saying I expect attitudes to change but I feel have to be honest and say I relate a lot to the term.

I suspect this debate could break the terms and conditions quickly.

Drop me a PM.