Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Autogynophelia

Autogynophelia

I face the wrath for bringing up a potentially controversial subject but I want to see what other girls out there are feeling about this term.

I had the opportunity to learn about it from a gender counselor in NYC and she prefaced it with the controversial nature within the TG community about it. I am new to the forum here but thought I would just see what other girls thought of the subject.

The post that sparked this thread was about whether or not girls would want to be be female if they could. Some answers in there brought my mind back to the term.

Thanks!

We have discussed a bit about this in the private GM section (get your 10 posts to join) and also touched on it in the loved ones section on this thread:

http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...d.php?t=116295
    Joni

"Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free" Bob Dylan

I think that I would have liked to be born female BUT I guess that I might have been a lesbian. I would not have an operation to change to be a female now.

wish i knew what it was.
    just a florida girly girl...................................what in the world can make this brown eyed girl turn blue(roxette)

Talk about a waste of time and money... Who really cares "Why". After all... If anyone knew would if change a thing in your life? Going forward? No. You would still do what your driven to do and nothing will change that. Personally I'm not wasting my presious time figuring out why.. I have way to many other things to do... Too many pretty things to buy... So much more makeup to try on! Before I retire or expire! Which ever comes first! Lol.
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Quote Originally Posted by jenifer m. View Post
    wish i knew what it was.

Me too, what does Autogynophelia mean?

Lots of love Elizabeth XXX

You will often find me sleeping in

[SIZE="3"]The Ark Angel Inn[/SIZE] (traditional british pub)

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah1966 View Post
    Me too, what does Autogynophelia mean?
    Essentially it means being attracted to or aroused by the image or thought of yourself as a woman.
    -------------------------------------------------
    ~Riley
    Check out my trans themed standup on YouTube!

My Tumblr Blog

Truth, Love, Freedom Angiemead12's Avatar
    guilty!

Quote Originally Posted by Angiemead12 View Post
    guilty!
    What she said
    Kimmy 55

Quote Originally Posted by Karren Hutton View Post
    Talk about a waste of time and money... Who really cares "Why". After all... If anyone knew would if change a thing in your life? Going forward? No. You would still do what your driven to do and nothing will change that. Personally I'm not wasting my presious time figuring out why.. I have way to many other things to do... Too many pretty things to buy... So much more makeup to try on! Before I retire or expire! Which ever comes first! Lol.
    My initial response was that is probably fit me. Then I read this post and realized the most important issue of another label. What does it change in your life? Is there some kind of treatment which would cure you? NO! Your stuck with it, so I vote to just go forward with my life and not worry about it.
    Michelle

I would date me...once, then I would drop me like a hot rock in the desert. Beauty may be skin deep but being a Diva goes all the way to the bone.

But you got to love philosophy. Where would we be without the tree in the forest or one hand clapping. It amazes me how often people here make an assumption of what they "would" be "if" they were something else. If you were born anything than what you are you wouldn't have the luxury of saying "I would have been or done....". So for all you out there who say if I was born a female I would have to be a lesbian...it would have been just like in real life about a 1:12 chance and more likely you would like guys....just saying
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

All I know is that I started crossdressing when I was about 7 or 8 and that it had no sexual motives, that's enough info for me.

Silver Member
    Talk about a waste of time and money... Who really cares "Why". After all... If anyone knew would if change a thing in your life? Going forward? No. You would still do what your driven to do and nothing will change that. Personally I'm not wasting my precious time figuring out why.. I have way to many other things to do... Too many pretty things to buy... So much more makeup to try on! Before I retire or expire! Which ever comes first! Lol.

Oh Karen. What a pleasant and healthy attitude. Yes, yes, and yes! Why waste the time. Why, oh why? It don't change things one whit. You're still stuck doing what you're doing. Enjoy it!

Will we always be stuck with these questions?

Stephie

Oh, and autogynephilia has a serious component of homosexual behavior in it. THAT is why we don't like the term. Autogynephilia (simplified) states that crossdressers are either homosexuals who are sexually aroused by the thought of themselves as a woman, or homosexuals who crossdress to attract men. That's it. Only two types allowed.

As you ALL know, there are many, many, more reasons to crossdress, and many, many, of you would be offended to be (rightly or wrongly) classified as homosexuals.
    Last edited by Stephenie S; 04-22-2010 at 03:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephenie S View Post
    Yes, as long as there are new members to this forum, and older members move on. We are doomed to perpetuate the discussions on a number of topics. Such is the nature of support forums.
    Reine

Making a life for Tina! suchacutie's Avatar

cyclic

Isn't there a bit of a self-fullfilling prophecy here? After all, in what image do we see our femme selves? We go through all the effort to bring our feminine selves to the surface and what do we expect??? Are we going to project a femme image that we dislike? OKOK so every feminine creature (GG or TS) on the planet moans about this flaw or that, about not losing enough weight, about needing to add here and subtract there, but that's just normal.

If we projected a femme self that we disliked I dare say that we'd stop our femme presentation until we could change that presentation.

So, are we attracted to ourselves? Uh Duh!!!!

tina

Quote Originally Posted by JiveTurkeyOnRye View Post
    Essentially it means being attracted to or aroused by the image or thought of yourself as a woman.
    [SIZE="4"]OMG, yes that's me...a very sexy woman I would hope.
    [/SIZE]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Susan V. Adams

Silver Member
    No. There is the element of homosexuality.

All crossdressers are homosexuals. Either homosexuals dressing to attract men (yeah, right), or they are homosexuals who get sexually aroused by the thought and deed of crossdressing to become women. That's it.

Remember, I don't believe this. This is not MY theory. The question was asked, "What is autogynephilia?"

Autogynephilia is the second group of crossdressers, those (homosexuals) (remember, all crossdressers are homosexual) who crossdress for sexual pleasure by dressing as a woman or imagining themselves as a woman.

Stephenie
    Last edited by Stephenie S; 04-22-2010 at 04:51 PM.

Well n ow i know what it means, no i haven't or don't, i have not been aroused by it at all, for me it just feels natural and comfortable, like the way i should have dressed always. if that makes sense!

Lots of love Elizabeth XXX

You will often find me sleeping in

[SIZE="3"]The Ark Angel Inn[/SIZE] (traditional british pub)

Hi, may I suggest that everyone read Dr. Blanchard's writings on the subject? Here's a link to a presentation he made in 2000.

http://www.autogynephilia.org/Colore...iles/frame.htm

and here's another link to Dr. Blanchard's writings.

http://www.autogynephilia.org/origins.htm

I'm afraid that some of the comments made so far are incorrect, misinformed, or cavalier. I do not wish to argue with anyone. But I do urge all of you to at least read these materials. After that I think you can make up your own mind. There's nothing to be afraid of.

Take care of yourselves, everyone.
    Jennifer[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Oh Karen. What a pleasant and healthy attitude. Yes, yes, and yes! Why waste the time. Why, oh why? It don't change things one whit. You're still stuck doing what you're doing. Enjoy it!

Stephie
    Thanks... I thought so! . So you alluding that if I know why I can get unstuck and move on and do something else? Okkk.. And who's stuck.. I make what I do enjoyable and don't consider doing things I enjoy as being stuck doing them... Ok maybe I'm stuck working... But I know why I work... Wait. If I know why I work then why can't I get unstuck and move on?? I'm confused.. Stuck in confussion! Lol.
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

No. There is the element of homosexuality......

Not necessarily.

It could very well be an element of self-erotic narcissism. Def: Psychoanalysis. erotic gratification derived from admiration of one's own physical (or fantasy of) or mental attributes, being a normal condition at the infantile level of personality development.

Crossdressers often have to very careful about not being too self-centered or selfish, sometimes bordering on narcissism. I believe autogynophelia is an aspect of that, which can affect our sexual intimacy with our wives.

That is why it is important to broach the subject.
    Last edited by Jonianne; 04-22-2010 at 05:27 PM.
    Joni

"Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free" Bob Dylan

Thanks Jennifer for the links. After more study, I definitely don't fit this definition.
    Michelle

Very interesting study..I am homosexual but still I dont totally fit under some of the definitions and results

Silver Member
    [SIZE="4"]Autogynephilia:[/SIZE]

To quote Dr. Ann Lawrence's interpretation of Blanchard's term:

Based on his research, Blanchard concluded that there were two distinct categories of gender dysphoric males: an androphilic group, those who were sexually aroused exclusively or almost exclusively by males; and a nonandrophilic group, who were, or had once been, sexually aroused primarily by the idea of being female. Blanchard called this latter group autogynephilic: having the propensity to be sexually aroused by the thought or image of oneself as female.

I gave a very simplified explanaion, and I stated that it was simplified. Perhaps Dr Lawrence's interpretation will be easier to understand?

Or, as suggested, one could read the original research paper.

Stephie

wikipedia definition

"Autogynephilia (pronounced /ˌɔːtoʊˌɡaɪnəˈfɪliə/) (from Greek “αὐτό-” (self), “γυνή” (woman, though the stem is actually “γυναικ-”[1], so that “autogynephilia” is ill-formed[2]) and “φιλία” (love) — "love of oneself as a woman") is the term coined in 1989 by Ray Blanchard to refer to "a man's paraphilic tendency to be sexually aroused by the thought or image of himself as a woman."[3] It has been theorized[who?] to motivate cross-dressing as a sexual fetish (transvestic fetishism) in biological males and to motivate gender dysphoria in non-homosexual biological males[citation needed] (as compared with people termed homosexual transsexuals by researchers, who are driven by their attraction to men). Autogynephilia has also been suggested to pertain to romantic love as well as to sexual arousal patterns.[4] Terms that refer to a person's sex-of-birth (such as "homosexual transsexual") have been criticized by theorists such as Harry Benjamin and Bruce Bagemihl for not referring to a person's sex-of-identity.[5][6]

Autogynephilia is recognized by the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders of the American Psychiatric Association, which indicates that of individuals with gender identity disorder, "[The] adult males who are sexually attracted to females, to both males and females, or to neither sex usually report a history of erotic arousal associated with the thought or image of oneself as a woman (termed autogynephilia)" [emphasis in original].[7]"